Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When a battle/whatever is going on and everyone just stands back and lets Top Good Guy and Top Bad Guy go at it 1v1. Troy, The Patriot with mel gibson, basically every movie with a large battle scene does it. All the random soldier extras need to do is stab or shoot the other guy's back and it's all over and he'd probably get a promotion for saving his boss from having to do the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fil5000 posted:

new Spider-man film

What the gently caress? Really? Hasn't there already been three different sets of these movies in the last 15 years?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Memento posted:

What the gently caress? Really? Hasn't there already been three different sets of these movies in the last 15 years?

Only two. This time Sony have licensed Spidey back to Marvel for two movies though, so the new one is in the same universe as Cap, Iron Man, etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When a battle/whatever is going on and everyone just stands back and lets Top Good Guy and Top Bad Guy go at it 1v1. Troy, The Patriot with mel gibson, basically every movie with a large battle scene does it. All the random soldier extras need to do is stab or shoot the other guy's back and it's all over and he'd probably get a promotion for saving his boss from having to do the work.

I joke about it a lot, but there's a scene early in the Game of Thrones TV series where one of the bad guys and his men surround one of the good guys and his men, and then the good guy and bad guy start going at it one-on-one in a really cool fight... till one of the bad guy's soldiers just stabs the good guy in the leg when he gets within reach. Even the bad guy looks pissed off about it, he was having a cool fight!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

There was a movie waaaay back called The January Man, with the typical set-up of,"Cops are powerless to catch a mysterious killer, need the help of a wise-cracking rebel cop who plays by his own rules but gets the job done" - it's a fun if ultimately forgettable movie, but I always loved the moment they catch the killer. After pursuing him throughout the whole movie, trying to get into his head etc, the cop catches and unmasks him and it's somebody we've never seen before. Somebody asks,"Who is he?" and the hero replies,"He's nobody. That's the whole reason he was doing all this, he's a nobody."

Even back then it felt kinda refreshing.

Haha, that sounds cool.

There's a similar thing which doesn't quite work in this really old episode of CSI: Miami, where the villain of the week is a rogue sniper who shoots random people who are unlucky enough to be the "perfect target" when they come into his sights. At the end, they work out where he's camped out and swoop in to arrest him, and as he's being led away, he asks the CSIs if they wants to know why he did it, and David Caruso replies (presumably after removing his sunglasses and putting them back on several times), "No. You did it because you're evil and you're going to jail." I wanted to know why he did it. :shrug:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Most of those settings, including Game of Thrones, are ones where honor is arguably more important than life. Achilles would absolutely rather die in a fair fight against the enemy general than have a random mook backstab his opponent to save him. Compare that to the episode in Firefly where Mal informs his crew he doesn't give two fucks about honor and wants them to totally murder the guy he's fighting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's one episode of Psych where the bad guys aren't seen until they catch them.

Otherwise it's always someone from earlier in the episode like other procedurals.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I joke about it a lot, but there's a scene early in the Game of Thrones TV series where one of the bad guys and his men surround one of the good guys and his men, and then the good guy and bad guy start going at it one-on-one in a really cool fight... till one of the bad guy's soldiers just stabs the good guy in the leg when he gets within reach. Even the bad guy looks pissed off about it, he was having a cool fight!

And, if the bad guy cuts down the good guy one-on-one then it looks like a fair fight with a guy who was resisting arrest. If they all just ganked the dude it would be straight up murder.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, that sounds cool.

There's a similar thing which doesn't quite work in this really old episode of CSI: Miami, where the villain of the week is a rogue sniper who shoots random people who are unlucky enough to be the "perfect target" when they come into his sights. At the end, they work out where he's camped out and swoop in to arrest him, and as he's being led away, he asks the CSIs if they wants to know why he did it, and David Caruso replies (presumably after removing his sunglasses and putting them back on several times), "No. You did it because you're evil and you're going to jail." I wanted to know why he did it. :shrug:

Torchwood ( the doctor who spin-off that included the line "when was the last time you came so long and so hard you forgot where you were") had a dreadful episode about welsh cannibals that ended with a decent stinger of "why did you do it?" "because it made me happy :d:"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And, if the bad guy cuts down the good guy one-on-one then it looks like a fair fight with a guy who was resisting arrest. If they all just ganked the dude it would be straight up murder.

Torchwood ( the doctor who spin-off that included the line "when was the last time you came so long and so hard you forgot where you were") had a dreadful episode about welsh cannibals that ended with a decent stinger of "why did you do it?" "because it made me happy :d:"

Torchwood was awful but that episode's antagonists I liked because the heroes are expecting aliens and time travellers and cybermen and nope, it's just Welsh hillbillies that like human flesh.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
This is the irrationallest of irritating TV moments, but I find it annoying that in House, House's office is on the top floor of the building it's in, but pretty often its team gets on the elevator while there are already people inside, or get out while people stay on. Did those people just ride the elevator to the top for no reason?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Speaking of Doctor Who, the second dumbest thing ever on that show is when they "kill off" two characters by stranding them in New York in the 1960s. For hand-wavy reasons the main character, who has a time machine, isn't allowed to go to where they are to pick them up. That's fine, but can't he just meet them in New Jersey?

The dumbest thing is that there's a character who has an active sexual relationship with a paving stone.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just saw Doctor Strange, and while it was really entertaining there was at least one irritating moment that stood out to me. After running off to Nepal and becoming a wizard Strange reappears to his old girlfriend at the hospital he used to work at. He demonstrates undeniable magic to her by astrally projecting himself while she's working on his dying body. Immediately after this is over, she acts totally skeptical of the whole magic thing and accuses him of joining a bullshit cult. Only after he then demonstrates opening a magical portal in front of her does she believe him. It's like, oh, I'm sorry, was my ghost visiting you visibly from the astral realm not enough for you?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Imagined posted:

Just saw Doctor Strange, and while it was really entertaining there was at least one irritating moment that stood out to me. After running off to Nepal and becoming a wizard Strange reappears to his old girlfriend at the hospital he used to work at. He demonstrates undeniable magic to her by astrally projecting himself while she's working on his dying body. Immediately after this is over, she acts totally skeptical of the whole magic thing and accuses him of joining a bullshit cult. Only after he then demonstrates opening a magical portal in front of her does she believe him. It's like, oh, I'm sorry, was my ghost visiting you visibly from the astral realm not enough for you?

To be fair, he did join a cult. This cult just happens to be right.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Speaking of Doctor Who, the second dumbest thing ever on that show is when they "kill off" two characters by stranding them in New York in the 1960s. For hand-wavy reasons the main character, who has a time machine, isn't allowed to go to where they are to pick them up. That's fine, but can't he just meet them in New Jersey?

Eh, I bought this because the main character says "This area and point in time is basically saturated in aerosolized gasoline, and my time machine going anywhere near it is an open flame". He's simplifying it for the characters (and the audience), but the bottom line is he can't just meet them in Jersey, because even that is bad news for everyone involved.

When it comes to movies, I really dislike the "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" trope/cliche. It comes off as lazy writing where the writer just waves his hands and goes "It's basically maaaaaaagic, I don't have to explaaaaaaaaain it!". I think it hits me harder because in a lot of the magic-actually-exists stuff I read, the writer makes some sort of effort to codify the magical goings-on, even if that codification is entire fantastical.

An example of this annoying me comes from the new movie Arrival. After the climax, the spaceships we've all seen on the poster literally turn to dust and vanish. There's no real explanation for it and feels like the writer just went full-on :effort: as to what actually happened, and coasted on the above cliche.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Nov 13, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

When it comes to movies, I really dislike the "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" trope/cliche. It comes off as lazy writing where the writer just waves his hands and goes "It's basically maaaaaaagic, I don't have to explaaaaaaaaain it!". I think it hits me harder because in a lot of the magic-actually-exists stuff I read, the writer makes some sort of effort to codify the magical goings-on, even if that codification is entire fantastical.

An example of this annoying me comes from the new movie Arrival. After the climax, the spaceships we've all seen on the poster literally turn to dust and vanish. There's no real explanation for it and feels like the writer just went full-on :effort: as to what actually happened, and coasted on the above cliche.

I mean you're basically just whining that someone dared to depict interstellar travel differently than the correct Star Trek way

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, I bought this because the main character says "This area and point in time is basically saturated in aerosolized gasoline, and my time machine going anywhere near it is an open flame". He's simplifying it for the characters (and the audience), but the bottom line is he can't just meet them in Jersey, because even that is bad news for everyone involved.

So go a couple years into the future and boom they're picked up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sometimes sciencemagic is just used to have specific magical things, but not make your universe one where magic exists completely.

(Yet, in Marvel's case.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I mean you're basically just whining that someone dared to depict interstellar travel differently than the correct Star Trek way

I don't mind if they try different things, sometimes it fails. Especially when that failure comes across as lazy "you can't understand what's happening, it's basically magic" stuff, I dislike it.

Len posted:

So go a couple years into the future and boom they're picked up.

Don't get me wrong, I understand its a bit cludgy and prone to thinking about alternate possibilities, but the situation we're discussing is one where the actors are getting bumped off the show, with (intentionally) very little chance that they'll be returning any time soon. Within that context, you have to treat the "No, there's no way to return to them" thing as gospel, because the actors are off doing other movies or tv shows in six months.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Most sci-fi is basically sword-and-sorcery fantasy with the elves replaced with aliens and magic replaced with vaguely defined technobabble.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CordlessPen posted:

This is the irrationallest of irritating TV moments, but I find it annoying that in House, House's office is on the top floor of the building it's in, but pretty often its team gets on the elevator while there are already people inside, or get out while people stay on. Did those people just ride the elevator to the top for no reason?

What makes you think it's the top floor? That elevator has about 15 floors worth of buttons on it, and he certainly never hits the top of the panel.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Avenging_Mikon posted:

What makes you think it's the top floor? That elevator has about 15 floors worth of buttons on it, and he certainly never hits the top of the panel.

Yeah, I never got the impression he was on the top floor. They do go on the roof sometimes but I don't recall them doing it directly from the floor his office is on. Top floors are usually admin people anyway, if a doctor like House were real he'd probably either be on the same floor as the ICU or close to it, which at least in my experience isn't on the top floor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MisterBibs posted:

I don't mind if they try different things, sometimes it fails. Especially when that failure comes across as lazy "you can't understand what's happening, it's basically magic" stuff, I dislike it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand its a bit cludgy and prone to thinking about alternate possibilities, but the situation we're discussing is one where the actors are getting bumped off the show, with (intentionally) very little chance that they'll be returning any time soon. Within that context, you have to treat the "No, there's no way to return to them" thing as gospel, because the actors are off doing other movies or tv shows in six months.

Yeah I know it was them writing off the worst companion and Rory but it's a show about time travel and suddenly all times going back to New York while they're still alive are out of bounds? 100% of time eras can't be traveled to? I can't suspend disbelief that hard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
See, I think that's just a consequence of how the show has been written since it came back compared with the original run in the 1960s-1980s. When it was originally on TV, having overarching storylines on anything other than a soap opera just wasn't the done thing; there wasn't home video, there weren't repeats, so you couldn't expect fans to keep track of everything that happened. You could write characters out when the actors wanted to leave and audiences, for the most part, just accepted that they were gone, because the Doctor would be picking somebody new up next week and continuing on his adventures.

That isn't an option now, because we've changed how we watch TV. Audiences have different expectations now and it means you need to come up with some sort of excuse for why the Doctor can't just go back and pick up somebody who's left. That's why Rose ends up trapped in a parallel universe, Donna's brain is reset so it'll burn out if she regains her memories of her adventures with the Doctor, Amy and Rory are sent back in time and the Doctor can't get them back, and the Doctor has his memories of Clara wiped so she can go off on her own time travel adventures with Arya Stark.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In The Butler, one of Cecil's sons joins the Black Panthers. How did Cecil continue to work under Nixon when I'm certain Nixon would know his Butler had a Black Panther for a son? Wouldn't he have a huge problem with it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate when movies repeat something more than twice. The Departed played that one rock song several times more than necessary. Also all the repeated dialogue in Christopher Nolan movies are annoying as hell. Just say it once or twice you don't have to shove it down my throat.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
I just watched the 2005 Fantastic Four solely because it's this week's We Hate Movies choice and I managed to avoid until now and it contained two of my most irritating movie moments - a blind person feeling a persons face to see what they look like (even though the woman didn't know this man was a rock monster she started by putting her hands straight on his chest) and someone flying and going woooooooo which drives me up the loving wall.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The handwave magic/science stuff also annoyed me in Doctor Strange. Not the idea of fictional magic or wizards but like... How many movies and TV shows have you heard a magic person say to a Western science person something like, "That's right, Mr. Science, there are TRUTHS your science could never understand."?

I feel like some new age scriptwriter is sitting there feeling all smug writing that even though it's literally never true anywhere outside of fiction.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Nov 13, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't mind the magic=science stuff if developed properly - either Magic with Hard Rules that can be experimented with eg the Pixie dust in the Tinkerbell series (One of the fairies figures out the properties of it and is able to get consistent results with the same methods each time - science through magic) or if the science uses some concept that the characters cannot fully understand for reasons that therefore can have some unexpected - but consistent with the rules - properties that noone saw coming - hell that happens in real life until that effect is studies - in a way, it's magic through science - science so unprecendented the main characters need to build whole new tools just to figure out what the hell just happened, but with promise of an explanation later in time, even if hundreds of years later (Xenoblade Chronicles X - Professor B claims to be a human from the far future trying to build a time machine to get back - he routinely uses concepts that english words haven't been invented to describe yet, and even the Ma-non have trouble with his tech).

Another good example of the second one is Strange Days at Blake Holsey High - most of the science is nonsense practically speaking, it's just the black hole loving with reality to teach the characters lessons, but the Janitor in particular fits this - when Josie's clone is born he takes her to the far future where she learns how to protect the time line like he does, and gives her the mission to make sure that the Chi ball that lost all it's friction when it went into the black hole goes to Victor Pearson, who is destined to use it's power to advance science rapidly and do a lot of good. However the clone mentions near the end of the series that the Janitor is from even further in the future, so far even she cannot comprehend it - he is shown to be using tech based off concepts that are purely mathematical hypotheses right now like using a tame tesseract as a storage device.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Nov 13, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Imagined posted:

The handwave magic/science stuff also annoyed me in Doctor Strange. Not the idea of fictional magic or wizards but like... How many movies and TV shows have you heard a magic person say to a Western science person something like, "That's right, Mr. Science, there are TRUTHS your science could never understand."?

I feel like some new age scriptwriter is sitting there feeling all smug writing that even though it's literally never true anywhere outside of fiction.

The thing is, any true scientist would immediately start studying magic and trying to understand it to the best of their abilities. Just because it's magic doesn't mean you can't apply the scientific method to it!

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Imagined posted:

The direction they started going with that was like "you're still crippled because you're not spiritual enough" which is especially nasty. Later on they kind of diverted off that path with a lame explanation that it's selfish in some sense to use magic to heal yourself instead of to fight supervillains, which is either stupid, or comes dangerously close to pointing out that the superhero universe is so different from our own that the things we care about and even our sense of what it is to be human don't matter there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Imagined posted:

That's not what they said in Strange.
The Ancient One has him look as western/eastern medicine, mysticism and the like to which she says that each of them got a portion of the higher truth correct but their methodologies did not dive deep enough.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, I think that's just a consequence of how the show has been written since it came back compared with the original run in the 1960s-1980s. When it was originally on TV, having overarching storylines on anything other than a soap opera just wasn't the done thing; there wasn't home video, there weren't repeats, so you couldn't expect fans to keep track of everything that happened. You could write characters out when the actors wanted to leave and audiences, for the most part, just accepted that they were gone, because the Doctor would be picking somebody new up next week and continuing on his adventures.

That isn't an option now, because we've changed how we watch TV. Audiences have different expectations now and it means you need to come up with some sort of excuse for why the Doctor can't just go back and pick up somebody who's left. That's why Rose ends up trapped in a parallel universe, Donna's brain is reset so it'll burn out if she regains her memories of her adventures with the Doctor, Amy and Rory are sent back in time and the Doctor can't get them back, and the Doctor has his memories of Clara wiped so she can go off on her own time travel adventures with Arya Stark.

Sure, but you can write off characters in other ways. The companions left in New York had already had three exits from the party in the preceding half-dozen episodes. They decide to stop traveling with the Doctor because he's a dick; then they get left behind when the Doctor fakes his death and doesn't tell them; and then they gradually decide they'd actually just prefer a nice quiet non-adventuring life. Each of these is undone an episode later, but they didn't have to be; the writers could have just stuck with any one of them. There are ways to write out characters without resorting to stuff that doesn't really make sense like "My time machine can't get to New York".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

That's not what they said in Strange.
The Ancient One has him look as western/eastern medicine, mysticism and the like to which she says that each of them got a portion of the higher truth correct but their methodologies did not dive deep enough.

This, and the same traits that made him such a great doctor and scientist made him a great magic user.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sure, but you can write off characters in other ways. The companions left in New York had already had three exits from the party in the preceding half-dozen episodes. They decide to stop traveling with the Doctor because he's a dick; then they get left behind when the Doctor fakes his death and doesn't tell them; and then they gradually decide they'd actually just prefer a nice quiet non-adventuring life. Each of these is undone an episode later, but they didn't have to be; the writers could have just stuck with any one of them. There are ways to write out characters without resorting to stuff that doesn't really make sense like "My time machine can't get to New York".

This was my biggest problem with season 7 - they'd already very nicely wrapped up the story of those two companions traveling with the Doctor, said their goodbyes and moved on. Then they get brought back for another half a season before getting written off in this rather unnecessary "final" way, which also has plenty of problems as already discussed, it didn't feel as final as the show wanted it to be. Then you have the Doctor pick up a new companion who had made a couple of brief appearances already and they only had a very compressed timeframe to try and fit in a very large story-arc they had planned for her in the back-half of the season. It was all so unnecessary, they could have brought her in right at the start of the season and given that story some time to breathe, instead it felt rushed and the new companion felt completely one-dimensional, and it was only after the season was over they finally started to make her work as a character.

The really irritating thing is that I loved Amy and Rory as companions and it feels odd to complain about getting more of them (especially since they were fine in the extra episodes). But they were just kept around a little too long at the expense of the companion that followed them.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If I recall correctly, there's only one button to call the elevator on House's floor, which would mean it's either the top or bottom floor, and we know it's not on ground level.

Edit: Oh poo poo, watched an early episode on Netflix, and there are 2 buttons to call the elevator. I done hosed up. Never mind me!

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Nov 14, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don't disagree, but Russell T Davies, Steven Moffat et al. seem to. :shrug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A public demonstration of a new robot (s) will inevitably end with the robots going berserk. And why the gently caress put BULLETS in a robot that isn't even meant to shoot during the presentation?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerusalem posted:

That's appropriate to character. Ned Stark is known for having killed one of the greatest knights who ever lived in combat. Jaime Lannister is also a very well regarded swordsman and has probably spent decades thinking about having the chance to try himself against Ned. Then it finally comes along and some dickhead ruins it by spearing Ned from behind. The irony is, Jaime doesn't know Ned would have been killed in that fight if Howland Reed hadn't speared Arthur Dayne from behind in exactly the same way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jedit posted:

That's appropriate to character. Ned Stark is known for having killed one of the greatest knights who ever lived in combat. Jaime Lannister is also a very well regarded swordsman and has probably spent decades thinking about having the chance to try himself against Ned. Then it finally comes along and some dickhead ruins it by spearing Ned from behind. The irony is, Jaime doesn't know Ned would have been killed in that fight if Howland Reed hadn't speared Arthur Dayne from behind in exactly the same way.

That's why I love that scene so much, you know that soldier was thinking,"I'M HELPING! :neckbeard:" and that Jaime was just aghast because the big fantasy battle he'd built up in his head for years (and Ned was holding up against him, just like he dreamed!) just got punctured by some no-name common rear end in a top hat :allears:

Panfilo posted:

A public demonstration of a new robot (s) will inevitably end with the robots going berserk. And why the gently caress put BULLETS in a robot that isn't even meant to shoot during the presentation?

I know that I was probably looking for a very different type of movie than the makers were going for, but it really bugged me that the trailer for I, Robot starts with the premise,"This cop thinks a robot killed a man, but robots can't kill humans so is he just paranoid?" and then halfway through the trailer they show like 100 robots glowing red and trying to kill a human.

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jedit posted:

I'd also go so far as to argue one of the major messages of GoT is that any "great swordsman" is still utterly mortal, and can be taken down by a random mook if they're unlucky in a given moment. Unless you're Barriston Selmy, and too badass to be taken down by any less than 12 random mooks at once, and even then only once you're way old and past your prime.

donquixotic posted:

I just watched the 2005 Fantastic Four solely because it's this week's We Hate Movies choice and I managed to avoid until now and it contained two of my most irritating movie moments - a blind person feeling a persons face to see what they look like (even though the woman didn't know this man was a rock monster she started by putting her hands straight on his chest) and someone flying and going woooooooo which drives me up the loving wall.

Man, I learn to fly and you bet your rear end I'm going woooooooooo for a real goddamn long time, flying would be amazing!