Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gail Wynand posted:

Another point we have to acknowledge is that even in the fantasy "jobs come back" scenario a lot of these people are just not fit for the labor force any longer.

also that these jobs dont pay what they used to, running into the same problem of "there are plenty of jobs available but they pay $12/hr with no benefits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

readingatwork posted:

Because there are way to many people who want to come to the US to reasonably accommodate.

I'm totally on board with streamlining the immigration process though. That poo poo is awful.

I feel like I should point out that if we got people to come in legally and protected under the law, it's not like these people are an automatic drain on the economy. They have to spend money too. We make more money off them spending money in America than we do off them spending no money in Mexico.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

readingatwork posted:

You pass a law saying that if you want to sell a product in the US you have to manufacture it here as well. Done.

What happens when other countries start doing the same to you?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Maybe in its current state. But the fact is that if you want life to come back to those little farming and mining communities the old fashioned way of doing it was infrastructure works and mass immigration. I think the latter helps the former.
I've been to a few of these communities and often the only place that has any life or vibrancy at all is the relatively new Mexican restaurant.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SimonCat posted:

Heavy duty fines and legal actions against companies that hire illegal immigrants. It's the companies that bear the blame and responsibility for exploiting illegals, not the immigrants themselves. If you make it untenable to hire undocumented workers, then the immigrants won't come because there will be no jobs for them to work.
I say 100k a head. Also some of that money should go to the snitches.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Josef bugman posted:

They may well amount to jack and poo poo, the companies are still going to want to cut them. There is also the on going problem of people not purchasing stuff as much because the overall buying power of people has reduced.

Companies want to cut every cost, news at 11. That doesn't mean American tech manufacturing is uncompetitive due to labor costs when they're a tiny fraction of a percent of the other costs that can be avoided overseas.

Besides, if the iPhone cost $2000 due to being built by American workers - the American workers could afford to buy it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

You pass a law saying that if you want to sell a product in the US you have to manufacture it here as well. Done.

this would start a massive trade war and explode the economy via other nations passing similarly restrictive tariffs on american exports. you have no idea what you're talking about

"hey everyone in the market, i know i've been trading fairly with you all up until now, but i've decided that because i am the wealthiest things need to be more fair for me, and now i will only trade on the most favorable of terms. this adjustment period will be rough but... guys? hey, hello, i'm talking to you. i'm going to trade now on new terms, and... hello? hello? why is everyone ignoring me? hello?"

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Lote posted:

Long haul trucking and shipping is one of the largest employment sectors in the United States with 1.8 million long haul truck drivers alone. Then you have all the other logistics people, etc. etc. Drivers are also 955 male and 60% white. People losing their jobs over a switch to toll roads would spark intense backlash.

What makes you think they would lose their jobs? The companies who owns the toll roads would just end up becoming the major trucking companies (by acquisition or otherwise) and using their leverage to force all the smaller, non-road-owning companies out. And they would pay lower because now there's fewer options. At a very minimum I'd guess very important highway corridor's would be converted to public/private partnerships, ones that aren't easily replaced or moved around.

readingatwork posted:

In which case it'll be done in the South or other highly not-unionized places, rather than the parts of the country that are the reason why Trump won (the Rust Belt).

Pervis fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 13, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

I say 100k a head. Also some of that money should go to the snitches.

Next, scalps being collected so we can go full blood meridian.

Harik posted:

Companies want to cut every cost, news at 11. That doesn't mean American tech manufacturing is uncompetitive due to labor costs when they're a tiny fraction of a percent of the other costs that can be avoided overseas.

Besides, if the iPhone cost $2000 due to being built by American workers - the American workers could afford to buy it.

But unless you start putting that stuff in place 20 years ago your going to be going up against a huge amount of money and pressure groups who don't want their pie cut in to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gail Wynand posted:

So referring to POC earning an honest living as "slaves" is okay with you?

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-through

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

I hereby christen this defense, the "lulz" defense.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

this would start a massive trade war and explode the economy via other nations passing similarly restrictive tariffs on american exports. you have no idea what you're talking about

Doesn't mean Trump won't pass it as law. He doesn't have any idea what he's talking about either.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-through

I just wanted to let you know that I got a good laugh out of this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In an interview with Leslie Stahl airing tonight, Trump clarified his Immigration plans.

- Goal is 2 to 3 million people gone in the first year.
- Going to focus on criminals first. No deportation force initially.

- Focus on criminals includes the following elements:

- Checking immigration status for everyone arrested or held in detention.
- "Sanctuary Cities" will be abolished by making any Sanctuary City ineligible to receive federal policing, DOJ, ICE, or DHS grants.
- Mandatory jail sentences for anyone caught twice or who has a felony.
- Anyone who overstays a visa will automatically have it revoked permanently.
- Any country that has more than 5% of its Student Visa or Tourist Visa program overstay their visa will have their visa programs suspended pending review.

Parts of the wall will be a fence and parts will be an actual wall. It will cover the entire border.

The U.S. might initially pay for the wall. But there will be temporary tariffs and a freeze on Mexican remittance payments and diplomatic visas until Mexico pays for it in full.

I told you he is going to build a loving wall and figure out some totally not payment way to say that Mexico paid for it . Also, of course he's going to build a great big huge section and then just have the rest of the wall be a fence.

Bolded is crazy because does this mean he is going to kick out people who are not overstaying.

This whole thing is bonkers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
as long as we're cooking up goofy assed scenarios like "it is now illegal to manufacture things overseas" then why not just outlaw unemployment itself, would be a lot more efficient imo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Doesn't mean Trump won't pass it as law. He doesn't have any idea what he's talking about either.

yeah the pro-business wing of the republican party will totally be silent and let him do this. and this is assuming trump is dumb enough to try it - he's had enough of his brands manufactured overseas to realize what's up

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

To be fair if he does he will wind up ignored by the GOP. He can scream till he's blue in the face but I doubt that they'd do something to hurt their pocket books.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Torpor posted:

Get rid of excess labor. That will increase empowerment. All we gotta do is re-enact the Black Death and the big creditors will come to the table pretty fast.

There are no long term economic fixes to anything.

That's a problem, because the people in these areas want long-term fixes and won't be satisfied with less. They don't want a few years worth of construction jobs, they want an economic revitalization creating jobs that will still be around for their children.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Josef bugman posted:

To be fair if he does he will wind up ignored by the GOP. He can scream till he's blue in the face but I doubt that they'd do something to hurt their pocket books.

Trump has the GOP by the nuts right now. They'll do what he says.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Being sad has now been made illegal. Buck up, libs

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I told you he is going to build a loving wall and figure out some totally not payment way to say that Mexico paid for it . Also, of course he's going to build a great big huge section and then just have the rest of the wall be a fence.

Bolded is crazy because does this mean he is going to kick out people who are not overstaying.

This whole thing is bonkers.

It really is, and probably going to go "that's nice dear" through some of the repubs before being ignored.

Main Paineframe posted:

That's a problem, because the people in these areas want long-term fixes and won't be satisfied with less. They don't want a few years worth of construction jobs, they want an economic revitalization creating jobs that will still be around for their children.

I have to think that during the bronze age collapse did people get this pissed at their kids for moving to Athens. "Lad this hill forts been here for more than 3 generations, I'm not leaving" "But dad all the tin and copper jobs are in the Polis' now, I have to go" "Your no son of mine" -slams door before being killed by angry sea person-

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

quote:

The fact that you in the same breath are talking about neoliberals and liberals as separate things is hysterical. Further still, I don't view capitalism as an aid program. I'd like to help them more than just "well I guess you can come here and take a lovely job." But that apparently makes me a horrible person who cares more about the foreign poor than poor people here.

they are distinct lighting knight, that's why the two terms exist and aren't synonyms. And yes you are pretending capitalism is an aid program by pretending it's uplifting illegal immigrants.

It's seriously little wonder the Hillary dems failed this election, they can't grasp the fact that foreign nationals can't vote for you, and shaming people to vote for stuff just doesn't work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yeah, I don't understand why people do not realize how astronomical the odds of him winning were. Republicans are probably terrified because their party is fixing to be taken over by Populists over the next few years.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Do you think they will care? Because I don't see most of the GOP heads just bending the knee. They'll let him do speeches and ignore him.

Who knows though, It may well be that they do bend the knee. I just can't see it being long before there ends up being an actual purge of the party.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

That's because rule one of dogwhistles is that if someone can't hear the (((echoes))), they're not supposed to know about them.

Establishment is the set of people attached to the controlling apparatus of the party / the government, and of their agendas. I would even include institutional structure in the term. As a whole, these people and structures maintain the continuity of the culture and goals of the party by interpreting them as guidelines for current practices and reproducing them for the posterity, and, as gatekeepers, they decide on what changes can be made to them and what is permissible under them. For a scholarly analysis of the establishment, see: Yes, Minister.

But it's good to be back to "If you don't like lobbyists, you are probably a Holocaust denier."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pervis posted:

What makes you think they would lose their jobs? The companies who owns the toll roads would just end up becoming the major trucking companies (by acquisition or otherwise) and using their leverage to force all the smaller, non-road-owning companies out. And they would pay lower because now there's fewer options. At a very minimum I'd guess very important highway corridor's would be converted to public/private partnerships, ones that aren't easily replaced or moved around.

In which case it'll be done in the South or other highly not-unionized places, rather than the parts of the country that are the reason why Trump won (the Rust Belt).

The south isn't capable of absorbing many more high tech manufacturing jobs (and all manufacturing would be high tech due to automation).

Just look at the cluster duck that Boeing in SC has been.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump has no loyalty what so ever so the idea that if Republican's step out of line and he won't call them on it is ridiculous.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shifty Pony posted:

The south isn't capable of absorbing many more high tech manufacturing jobs (and all manufacturing would be high tech due to automation).

Just look at the cluster duck that Boeing in SC has been.

the lesson here isn't that southerners are stupid, but if you cut wages by a third you're going to get a reduction in worker quality

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lightning Knight posted:

There are a whole lot more working class and poor people than middle class people at this point. Also we didn't abandon working white people, they abandoned us for Reagan. We didn't bother trying to recapture them, which isn't much better, but that distinction is important because we didn't choose to be massive gently caress ups with a weird base, the Republicans scooped our base out from under us.

Also I personally think that the middle class people who vote for us will continue to vote for us because they tend to be motivated more by identity politics than economics. The majority of middle class white suburbanites vote Republican nowadays. The median income in America is, what, 60k? That's who we should be focusing on, because wealth inequality is so bad that the median income is approaching poor working class.
Ya, fair enough. I mean if you are a white suburbanite and you were not one of the 70m Americans who voted for Obama in 2008 (I managed to convince my NASCAR watching, bow hunting uncle in suburban Davenport Iowa to vote Obama in 2008 and I've seen pictures of him on facebook wearing a MAGA hat, although he won't say if he went Trump yet ), there is probably not much of a chance to reach you. Still, don't discount the power of the much maligned American Dream. It is what gets a lot of the working class people we need up in morning.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Trump has no loyalty what so ever so the idea that if Republican's step out of line and he won't call them on it is ridiculous.

More than likely, but what happens if they start calling on him. Sure they may be offending their base, but at the point where it's between some people who vote for you once a year and a very large paycheck at the end of it? The gods only know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Josef bugman posted:

I have to think that during the bronze age collapse did people get this pissed at their kids for moving to Athens. "Lad this hill forts been here for more than 3 generations, I'm not leaving" "But dad all the tin and copper jobs are in the Polis' now, I have to go" "Your no son of mine" -slams door before being killed by angry sea person-

This was the entire cause of the Maccabees revolt.

Well, that, and the Selucid King sacking Jerusalem because he was frustrated he couldn't actually fight the Ptolemies and sacrificing a pig on the Holy of Holies in a fit of pique. That was a bad idea. Also pretty Trump.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Interestingly enough, the DoD is on board with climate change being a real problem so we do have a decent chance of being positively surprised on this issue.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Literally Brexit

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

This was the entire cause of the Maccabees revolt.

Well, that, and the Selucid King sacking Jerusalem because he was frustrated he couldn't actually fight the Ptolemies and sacrificing a pig on the Holy of Holies in a fit of pique. That was a bad idea. Also pretty Trump.

And look how that ended up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Josef bugman posted:

Do you think they will care? Because I don't see most of the GOP heads just bending the knee. They'll let him do speeches and ignore him.

Who knows though, It may well be that they do bend the knee. I just can't see it being long before there ends up being an actual purge of the party.

The elected GoP folks don't care about anything but their pockets and getting elected, and in some cases Ayn Rand, because she tells them selfishness is moral.

They'll give Trump everything he wants because they don't care if the country burns so long as the still win the Republican primary in their gerrymandered district.

We know this from watching the sequester and shutdown fights.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

What happens when other countries start doing the same to you?

You'll still be able to buy foreign goods. It just won't come from a US-owned company. Likewise foreign companies will still be able to buy American goods, just not from foreign-owned companies. Banning outsourcing doesn't mean ending all trade.

Pervis posted:

Better than no jobs at all.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what sort of paths is Trump likely to take regarding China, and what would be the outcomes? I know there are a couple of options.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Grouchio posted:

So what sort of paths is Trump likely to take regarding China, and what would be the outcomes? I know there are a couple of options.

An issue with a lot of broad-strokes policy forecasting is we have to consider what the congressional republicans would be on-board with.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm going to try a different tack: immigration is good for white working class people.

Because they contribute quite a bit to our economy, and are only a drain if we specifically allow them to languish in poverty. Hmmmmmmmmm.

quote:

Has the surge in immigration since 1970 led to slower wage growth for native-born workers? Academic research does not provide much support for this claim. The evidence suggests that when immigration increases the supply of labor, firms increase investment to offset any reduction in capital per worker, thereby keeping average wages from falling over the long term. Moreover, immigrants are often imperfect substitutes for native-born workers in U.S. labor markets. That means they do not compete for the same jobs and put minimal downward pressure on natives’ wages. This might explain why competition from new immigrants has mostly affected earlier immigrants, who experienced significant reductions in wages from the surge in immigration. In contrast, studies find that immigration has actually raised average wages of native-born workers during the last few decades.

Immigrants are at the forefront of innovation and ingenuity in the United States, accounting for a disproportionately high share of patent filings, science and technology graduates, and senior positions at top venture capital-funded firms. In addition, the presence of immigrants often creates opportunities for less-skilled native workers to become more specialized in their work, thereby increasing their productivity.

Immigration generally also improves the government’s fiscal situation, as many immigrants pay more in taxes over a lifetime than they consume in government services. However, native-born residents of states with large concentrations of less-educated immigrants may face larger tax burdens, as these immigrants pay less in taxes and are more likely to send children to public schools.

So immigrants are great, but we have to make sure they have access to education and social safety nets - as should natural born citizens - so they have the same opportunities to grow and excel.

quote:

A popular view is that immigrants are taking jobs from American citizens. However, although immigrants increase the supply of labor, they also spend their wages on homes, food, TVs and other goods and services and expand domestic economic demand. This increased demand, in turn, generates more jobs to build those homes, make and sell food, and transport TVs.

Most empirical studies indicate long-term benefits for natives’ employment and wages from immigration, although some studies suggest that these gains come at the cost of short-term losses from lower wages and higher unemployment. Standard economic theory implies that while higher labor supply from immigration may initially depress wages, over time firms increase investment to restore the amount of capital per worker, which then restores wages.Steady growth in the capital-labor ratio prevents workers’ average productivity, and therefore their average wages from declining over the long run. Figure 2 shows the pre-1980 trend in the capital-labor ratio extrapolated over the next few decades – the period when U.S. immigration accelerated. Consistent with the theory, the actual capital-labor ratio did not significantly or permanently deviate from that trend after 1980.

quote:

Despite these increases in labor supply, in many cases immigrants appear to complement American-born workers rather than replacing them. Because less-educated immigrants often lack the linguistic skills required for many jobs, they tend to take jobs in manual labor-intensive occupations such as agriculture and construction. Even for low-skilled native-born workers in these industries, the effects of increased competition from immigrants are ambiguous, as many take advantage of their superior communication abilities and shift into occupations where these skills are more valuable, such as personal services and sales.
Similarly, highly educated immigrants face a disadvantage in communication-intensive jobs, and therefore tend to work in scientific and technical occupations. Highly skilled natives in management, media, and other culture- and language-dependent jobs face little competition from high skilled immigrants. The inflow of foreign labor is, therefore, concentrated in a subset of occupations that tend to employ many immigrants already. Consequently, it is earlier immigrants who face the greatest increase in competitive pressure.

So in the immediate term, immigrants do provide a downward pressure on wages. But in the long term, the market will correct for that - especially with government intervention. Likewise they will be spending money and driving an increase in demand. Also the notion that they are competing with native citizens is largely not true, due to a combination of a lack of language skills and gravitation towards fields that already have many immigrants. In other words, the ones they compete with most, are other immigrants that are already here.

The whole thing is worth reading but here's the close:

quote:

Economists generally agree that the effects of immigration on the U.S. economy are broadly positive. Immigrants, whether high- or low-skilled, legal or illegal, are unlikely to replace native-born workers or reduce their wages over the long-term, though they may cause some short-term dislocations in labor markets. Indeed, the experience of the last few decades suggests that immigration may actually have significant long-term benefits for the native-born, pushing them into higher-paying occupations and raising the overall pace of innovation and productivity growth. Moreover, as baby boomers have begun moving into retirement in advanced economies around the world, immigration is helping to keep America comparatively young and reducing the burden of financing retirement benefits for a growing elderly population. While natives bear some upfront costs for the provision of public services to immigrants and their families, the evidence suggests a net positive return on the investment over the long term.

All of this is assuming that we don't take stronger steps to correct for the negative effects, too.

imo I'm still pro-immigrant, gently caress y'all.

Edit:

quote:

Ya, fair enough. I mean if you are a white suburbanite and you were not one of the 70m Americans who voted for Obama in 2008 (I managed to convince my NASCAR watching, bow hunting uncle in suburban Davenport Iowa to vote Obama in 2008 and I've seen pictures of him on facebook wearing a MAGA hat, although he won't say if he went Trump yet ), there is probably not much of a chance to reach you. Still, don't discount the power of the much maligned American Dream. It is what gets a lot of the working class people we need up in morning.

The American Dream has a lot of baggage as a concept. I just think we need to stop telling working class people that we expect them to perpetually be on the bottom for there to be a middle class.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 13, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
With China its probably going to be business as usual.

Unless the Republicans go isolationist or some weird poo poo. I just don't see Tariffs etc.. occuring because it would destroy us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

You'll still be able to buy foreign goods. It just won't come from a US-owned company. Likewise foreign companies will still be able to buy American goods, just not from foreign-owned companies. Banning outsourcing doesn't mean ending all trade.

ok so then every manufacturer spins off a foreign subsidiary to handle the manufacturing and internally sells the goods at a favorable price, accomplishing nothing but driving more companies overseas, in addition preferencing foreign manufacturers more than american manufacturers

why it's almost like you haven't thought this plan through in the slightest and are just spitballing to try to prevent yourself from losing an argument

readingatwork posted:

Better than no jobs at all.

this is the same argument people use to justify outsourcing to the third world to begin with

• Locked thread