Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You and your family are all a part of the problem. Your dad is a tool. You're so expertly conditioned by the DC bubble that you can't even tell when I'm not addressing you directly, because you identify so thoroughly with the class I was talking about.

Wait who is Venom Snake? Why does he matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Dean had the same structural problems Bernie had with the primary where his support among existing members of the party wasn't enough to get enough traction before Super Tuesday. The primary's always going to be hostile to anti-establishment politics, although if you look to 2018 it will make 2020 easier in that regard.

The scream is just what people point to because otherwise you have to come to grips that there was a good reason not to elect Kerry.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lastgirl posted:

actually the dean scream owned :o:

my controversial opinion

I loved it back in the day. Such energy was really refreshing with mumbles Bush and lich Cheney. And then Kerry...

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

it's cause the scream was unexpectedly high pitched and then the media

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Lol go watch the interview with Bernie and Mike before you say he's dumb. The man is not dumb. He may hold a few dumb positions (like everybody) but overall that was one of the most apt and fruitful conversations of this whole shitshow election. The DNC should be taking notes from that interview if they want to even try to appeal to the large portion of America that voted for Obama and stayed home for clinton.

https://youtu.be/LCnrQZbqIQU

Mike has said other things. Yes he's right but I don't agree with everything he thinks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fuschia tude posted:

He was a mid-tier operative this year in the HRC campaign. Basically he would give us insider info.

Obviously people are looking for a scapegoat, and considering he was the closest to the campaign, there you go.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terror Sweat posted:

is it a revelation? or is it a bunch of hacks desperately trying to keep their jobs when they see which way the wind is blowing

Your only a hack if you think your not to blame

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

crazy cloud posted:

no yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
no yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

ur the yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I loved it back in the day. Such energy was really refreshing with mumbles Bush and lich Cheney. And then Kerry...

"Ima kick in the door of the oval office, n Ima chop that mothafuckin desk in half. BEYAAAAAAAAAAAH."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

the dean scream actually wasn't what killed him. it was this:

:cripes:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lastgirl posted:

the reality of the situation is

you need some political connections and political capital to grease the axle

Uh, like Trump's political connections and political capital?

Christ it hasn't even been a week and y'all are retreating back into the echo chamber.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

it's cause the scream was unexpectedly high pitched and then the media

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Jive posted:

Christ it hasn't even been a week and y'all are retreating back into the echo chamber.

He won the primary and had Pubis as a literal lap dog.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Jive posted:

Hill Folk never seem to learn, Hillary spent $1 billion and had every DC insider advantage you could think of especially in the DNC.

She still lost

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Venom Snake posted:

He won the primary and had Pubis as a literal lap dog.

Oh right I forgot he won the primary by reaching out to the Republican leadership thereby taking advantage of pre-existing structural resources

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Jive posted:

Oh right I forgot he won the primary by reaching out to the Republican leadership thereby taking advantage of pre-existing structural resources

The literal turning point for him was Chris Christie endorsing him dude. Trump had plenty of greasy political operatives with him. Like as in THE most greasy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Baloogan posted:

Now I really don't understand the Democratic party its values its principles excetera excetera but why was the dean scream so apocalyptic for Howard Dean?

it wasn't, it was just the five second funny clip cherry on top of his disastrous loss in the Iowa primary

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mr. Jive posted:

This is not the best way to frame your outburst imo

because you know

he WON with exactly just that hth~ :ocelot::grin:

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

if you don't think zionists should be allowed to commit war crimes YOU ARE UNAMERICAN, SIR

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Aaaand now we're back to discussing how to co-opt neoliberalism as an means of advancing progressive causes under the radar of the establishment. For gently caress's sake.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Jive posted:

Aaaand now we're back to discussing how to co-opt neoliberalism as an means of advancing progressive causes under the radar of the establishment. For gently caress's sake.

??? Keith as the head of the DNC along with a big party shake up seems like the opposite of that.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mr. Jive posted:

You missed the whole debate where we said the progressives should be in charge and you carpetbag the neolibs's political capital and money first before abandoning them altogether

Completely different mechanization here

Calm down :chloe:

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So how good are Keith's chances looking right now? I know about Schumer, and now Harry Reid - anyone else on board?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Liz Warren and chuck schumer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0ifjpVTtY

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah sorry, I guess I am kind of flipping my lid. It's just that all this talk about figuring out how to get our hands on that sweet sweet DNC schmoozing machinery smells a lot like the Clintonite strategy of co-opting the system, which failed in a spectacular way.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Re: ACA generating so much hatred. I think a big problem is the fact that even a decent but not amazing health plan you get from work is still gonna be $5-7k per year in premiums. Hell, even my not totally poo poo HDHP plan was like $4,500. Most people don't know that though, because most or all of it is usually paid by the employer and don't think about it unless they look up that information or have to deal with COBRA coverage.

Putting all the uninsured in basically the same system via exchanges was always gonna have a nightmare PR problem. On the one end, you have the working poor, so are actually going get good subsidies, but the process is complicated, it's hard to predict how much it will really cost, because it's income based. Have a good year and earned too much? Get ready for a huge tax bill. Had a bad year and earned too little? Thanks for loaning the insurance/government a couple grand for the whole year. Did MUCH worse than expected? Whoops now you don't qualify for a subsidy at all go get in line for medicaid and hope your governor doesn't try to kill you. So now you're constantly stressed and confused about this, as someone who's just trying to get by, even if you haven't turned against the program already.

Then on the other end, you have pretty well off people who don't have an employer plan for whatever reason, and get no subsidies. They're now being told they have to cough up many thousands of dollars per year, while some other group on the other side of an arbitrary income line is receiving billions of dollars in subsidies. Plus the cheapest exchange plans are all kinda poo poo.

Meanwhile all the people with employer plans don't really care that much if it stays the same, except they hear bad things, because exchanges = Obamacare, and it sure sounds like you don't wanna go on Obamacare if you lose your job.

edit: I understand this is all mostly obvious in retrospect but we need to change direction on healthcare or fixing ACA, because going "Actually, the economics of healthcare is complicated and---" while the opposition bludgeons you over and over with the hammers you gave them... that strategy isn't working.

mrmcd has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Nov 13, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Jive posted:

Yeah sorry, I guess I am kind of flipping my lid. It's just that all this talk about figuring out how to get our hands on that sweet sweet DNC schmoozing machinery smells a lot like the Clintonite strategy of co-opting the system, which failed in a spectacular way.

well, they failed on step one of actually controlling the system

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Even all these years later, I AM LEGIT loving PUMPED listening to this. TAKE THE WHITE HOUSE!! YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAARRARARARAAAAGGGAGGHHH!

TyroneGoldstein has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Nov 13, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

also actually winning.

At least it was less dollar per vote than Jeb!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mr. Jive posted:

It's uncertain times for sure, I understand.

I sure as hell don't want to see the same pattern doomed to be repeated.

I feel like Clinton coopted like a minority just for the sake of appeasement, so it was really platitudes, because Clintonites were still in control of the apparatus.

I'd like to be more positive that the progressives have a much stronger shot nowadays because you know...

They're not living in a bubble and probably actually reach out to their constituents regardless of party affiliation due to social status. Poverty is poverty. Something Clinton definitely handwaved for social issues, (which are legitimate, but this election clearly showed that people voted in their self interest over the economic issues, if only there was some way to solve both at once!)

I mean, Harry Reid and Schumer are endorsing Ellison, its a very good sign. I'm like really positive people will loving draw blood and go ripshit pissed if Ellison isn't chair.

Definitely make your voice heard for his case too.

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Nov 13, 2016

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Venom Snake posted:

I don't think so. They put Obama in office twice. They outspent Trump two to one. They maneuvered their chosen primary candidate into position. The machine was doing everything it was supposed to do.

I don't see how putting a progressive at the head of that machine is going to fix anything.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Late counting votes in Arizona drop Trump's margin there to 3.9% (Trump 49.3, Clinton 45.2, Other 5.3). Arizona is now as close as North Carolina (3.8% Trump margin) and is a definite swing state for the future.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Jive posted:

I don't think so. They put Obama in office twice. They outspent Trump two to one. They maneuvered their chosen primary candidate into position. The machine was doing everything it was supposed to do.

I don't see how putting a progressive at the head of that machine is going to fix anything.

they lost since the messaging was out of touch with the country's zeitgeist and the carefully crafting artificial image failed.

Hillary lost, Trump won.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mr. Jive posted:

He was a figure in the right wing media, and a frequent donor. And yeah, rinse pubes was up to bat for him since the start.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so here's something I didn't expect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2016

republicans got 4m more votes than democrats downballot

that is interesting

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Jive posted:

The entirety of Trump's ground game was actually the GOP's. They had a ground game, but it wasn't run by the candidate himself.

I think part of the problem is the Democrats have problem with ground game is the over-reliance of the presidential nominee's GOTV and don't have a solid one in midterms. I could be wrong here.

That, and as soon as Trump got the nomination, the entire GOPe for the most part went behind him.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

iospace posted:

The entirety of Trump's ground game was actually the GOP's. They had a ground game, but it wasn't run by the candidate himself.

I think part of the problem is the Democrats have problem with ground game is the over-reliance of the presidential nominee's GOTV and don't have a solid one in midterms. I could be wrong here.

That, and as soon as Trump got the nomination, the entire GOPe for the most part went behind him.

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/795443493674086400

ground game doesn't matter if nobody likes the candidate

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Peel posted:

theory: lena dunham, or whichever celebrity you dislike who endorsed clinton, had a neglibile effect on the election or a slightly positive effect among a demographic you aren't part of, while nobody else cared, and is a topic somehow even more pointless than relitigating the primary

I wasn't familiar with who she was or that she was a HRC surrogate until after the election but I think she's a good short hand example of some of their campaign's backwards priorities and attitudes. They invested in surrogates that only appeal to rich white women and that people outside that group view as a basket of insufferables.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fuschia tude posted:

GET REVENGE

FOR DEMOCRAT DOGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

trump is even less popular than clinton, he's a widely despised man. but the republican vote just seems more stable in general and turning out more people is always useful

• Locked thread