Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Peel posted:

trump is even less popular than clinton, he's a widely despised man. but the republican vote just seems more stable in general and turning out more people is always useful

voters that strongly disliked both trump and hillary voted for trump 2-1

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Phi230 posted:

GET REVENGE

FOR DEMOCRAT DOGS

Frick the blue dogs

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Peel posted:

theory: lena dunham, or whichever celebrity you dislike who endorsed clinton, had a neglibile effect on the election or a slightly positive effect among a demographic you aren't part of, while nobody else cared, and is a topic somehow even more pointless than relitigating the primary

Clinton's lack of appeal and messaging to folks who aren't coastal liberals is important, imo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

voters that strongly disliked both trump and hillary voted for trump 2-1

pretty much this sums up the election in it's entirety

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
basically this

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/796718450945232897

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peel posted:

trump is even less popular than clinton, he's a widely despised man. but the republican vote just seems more stable in general and turning out more people is always useful

It's why there's the conventional wisdom that high turnout = democrat advantage. It's also why democrats generally have problems in mid-terms and got slaughtered in 2010, no one showed up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Frick the blue dogs

We'll make diamonds of their joes

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

we r all gunna die

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

iospace posted:

The entirety of Trump's ground game was actually the GOP's. They had a ground game, but it wasn't run by the candidate himself.

I think part of the problem is the Democrats have problem with ground game is the over-reliance of the presidential nominee's GOTV and don't have a solid one in midterms. I could be wrong here.

That, and as soon as Trump got the nomination, the entire GOPe for the most part went behind him.

considering that right now 2018 is probably more important than 2020 to not only gain momentum but to prevent republicans from being able to call a constitutional convention and really gently caress things for good I hope that the first thing that happens is that dems abandon the notion that GOTV only matters every 4 years

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

fixing midterm turnout is a desperate issue for the democrats so godspeed with that

LinYutang posted:

Clinton's lack of appeal and messaging to folks who aren't coastal liberals is important, imo

fair (this is to everyone that said this or similar in response)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BeefThief posted:

we r all gunna die

:q:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gringostar posted:

considering that right now 2018 is probably more important than 2020 to not only gain momentum but to prevent republicans from being able to call a constitutional convention and really gently caress things for good I hope that the first thing that happens is that dems abandon the notion that GOTV only matters every 4 years

That is a long sentence but I agree.

I also hope everyone keeps in mind that no ground game or surgically applied ads are going to move the general welfare forward without first repudiating the neoliberal policies that have been generating so much grief and unrest in the first place. Which yeah may be pointing out the obvious but it's not like another Trump wasn't going to come along eventually if only Hillary had given more speeches in Wisconsin.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also running ads in California or trying to run up the score by trying to flip less competitive Red states.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Peel posted:

fixing midterm turnout is a desperate issue for the democrats so godspeed with that

fair (this is to everyone that said this or similar in response)

Early or no-excuse absentee voting in all 50 states should be a major goal. It's easy to turn people out when there's minimal amount of friction in voting.

Also voter ID laws are bullshit, and should be challenged in courts, but helping people get IDs and navigate any bullshit hoops they put up is something you can do at a ground level right away.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Peel posted:

the silver lining of trump as president is that because he's so hated it will be easier to get people to come out and try and flip / keep seats to at least get one branch of government back

you just also need a message for working class people to vote for which has been the achillies heel of dems for 30 years

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

mrmcd posted:

Early or no-excuse absentee voting in all 50 states should be a major goal. It's easy to turn people out when there's minimal amount of friction in voting.

Also voter ID laws are bullshit, and should be challenged in courts, but helping people get IDs and navigate any bullshit hoops they put up is something you can do at a ground level right away.

I'm a WA resident and I have to say, that ballot showing up in my mailbox once or twice a year with a handbook giving a quick rundown of everything on the ballot and a URL for more information is kinda great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gringostar posted:

the silver lining of trump as president is that because he's so hated it will be easier to get people to come out and try and flip / keep seats to at least get one branch of government back

you just also need a message for working class people to vote for which has been the achillies heel of dems for 30 years

loving everybody forgot to hit the "raising the minimum wage" issue.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
E: nm

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gringostar posted:

Actions speak louder than words. I don't buy into the notion that Democrats have been advancing working class interests for the past few cycles but the working class is just too dumb to realize it. It would appear establishment Democrats haven't actually advanced those interests.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zen death robot posted:

I've seen it a lot from certain posters but for gods sake if you live on the coasts stop looking down your noses on those of us that live in the Midwest. Yeah sure living in California would be great but the cost of living difference makes moving there prohibitive and I don't really want to be that far from my family even if they infuriate me from time to time

:agreed:

Plus, some of us have an attachment to where we live and would like to see it become something greater instead of abandoning them to ruin. It really pisses me off when I see dems saying "jobs just aren't coming back" like it's a tautology and expecting me to accept the hollowing out of places where our families have lived for a long time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gringostar posted:

this. the GOP and trump will gently caress the country including the poor whites in the rear end. if the dems at least try and play their cards right we can atleast get the presidency.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

:agreed:

Plus, some of us have an attachment to where we live and would like to see it become something greater instead of abandoning them to ruin. It really pisses me off when I see dems saying "jobs just aren't coming back" like it's a tautology and expecting me to accept the hollowing out of places where our families have lived for a long time.

death is certain face to this and go back to the shitfarms you god drat hick

yucky

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Who else can't wait for anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage and anti-flag burning and whatever else republicans have a hard one for amendments to the constitution?

edit: gently caress the democrats, they sold us identity politics while also shipping those people up the god drat river

edit: I mean after 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
New Proposed Amendment: Only Republicans can be politicians

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
now that trump is president we'll get some cool new wars to make video games out of

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

logikv9 posted:

New Proposed Amendment: Only Republicans can be politicians

I mean outside of the coasts that is basically already true so sure why not

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Phi230 posted:

now that trump is president we'll get some cool new wars to make video games out of

Secretary of Space Newt Gringrich declares war on Moon

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Raising the minimum wage is a good issue, but can't be the entirety of the economic policy for poor folks.

People don't want a minimum wage job, they want a GOOD job. Having a minimum wage job means you failed at life to most people.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

more brilliant strategy from the establishment democrats who we totally shouldn't kick out

https://twitter.com/fart/status/797872646536867840

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I imagine the racist white block of any generation was very motivated to vote this election. More progressive and younger voters weren't.

Don't have anything to back that up.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

izagoof posted:

So how good are Keith's chances looking right now? I know about Schumer, and now Harry Reid - anyone else on board?

He has the backing of a little-known senator from Vermont !

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

mrmcd posted:

Re: ACA generating so much hatred. I think a big problem is the fact that even a decent but not amazing health plan you get from work is still gonna be $5-7k per year in premiums. Hell, even my not totally poo poo HDHP plan was like $4,500. Most people don't know that though, because most or all of it is usually paid by the employer and don't think about it unless they look up that information or have to deal with COBRA coverage.

Putting all the uninsured in basically the same system via exchanges was always gonna have a nightmare PR problem. On the one end, you have the working poor, so are actually going get good subsidies, but the process is complicated, it's hard to predict how much it will really cost, because it's income based. Have a good year and earned too much? Get ready for a huge tax bill. Had a bad year and earned too little? Thanks for loaning the insurance/government a couple grand for the whole year. Did MUCH worse than expected? Whoops now you don't qualify for a subsidy at all go get in line for medicaid and hope your governor doesn't try to kill you. So now you're constantly stressed and confused about this, as someone who's just trying to get by, even if you haven't turned against the program already.

Then on the other end, you have pretty well off people who don't have an employer plan for whatever reason, and get no subsidies. They're now being told they have to cough up many thousands of dollars per year, while some other group on the other side of an arbitrary income line is receiving billions of dollars in subsidies. Plus the cheapest exchange plans are all kinda poo poo.

Meanwhile all the people with employer plans don't really care that much if it stays the same, except they hear bad things, because exchanges = Obamacare, and it sure sounds like you don't wanna go on Obamacare if you lose your job.

edit: I understand this is all mostly obvious in retrospect but we need to change direction on healthcare or fixing ACA, because going "Actually, the economics of healthcare is complicated and---" while the opposition bludgeons you over and over with the hammers you gave them... that strategy isn't working.

The ACA was slightly better than the mess that existed before it, but is in no way actually, you know, good. It's too complicated and once the supreme court made the Medicaid expansion optional, it went to complete poo poo in many places.

Universal health care MUST be a priority with the next wave of Democrats. We can politely dicker about how we want to handle it (Canadian true single payer? Australia and UK style public/private? German private-but-heavily-regulated-with-subsidies?), about things like copays and deductibles (should there be a small amount charged for each prescription? A percentage up to a max or a flat fee? Maybe a small monthly deductible waivable above a certain income level?), and even what it covers to a small extent (if the pill and IUD's are covered, I'll wince and accept no coverage of abortion and the morning after pill). But it needs to be sitting front and center, and it needs to be CLEAR and EASY TO UNDERSTAND.

Yes, Colorado, a state Dems won, voted down a UHC system by a 4-1 margin. Which makes it seem like a loser by both major parties. Keep in mind, though, that:

1) Colorado, especially the front range, has seen a massive influx of people recently due to a combination of jobs and legal pot. Rents and mortgages have skyrocketed, wages haven't kept up, and neither has infrastructure. We're wary of doing things that will cause this inflation to continue. We do not want to be America's guinea pig.

2) It would double the state budget. Which is kinda scary to a lot of people. But seeing it happen on a nationwide scale, when we already have Medicare and Medicaid, is less scary.

3) We accepted the Medicaid expansion. So while there are a lot of people unhappy with their coverage, most people have coverage.

4) TABOR! The taxpayers Bill of Rights. Thanks to this, we have NO rainy day fund. We can't operate at a loss. If the revenue brought in to cover the system isn't enough, we either have to amend the constitution AGAIN to get more money (possibly risking a full dismantling), or start cutting coverage and payments to doctors. Neither option is popular.

I think a lot of people like the idea, but want it on a National level, not turned over to the states.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Massachusetts has good healthcare, legal weed, and it's not too far from where I already live. Looks like I have a preferred destination in four years!

• Locked thread