Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lakers are gonna get the 8th seed and upset the Warriors cause Luke knows all the Warriors tricks. It's like poetry, it rhymes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
But the clippers have the 1 seed?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I'm wondering if he'd be better to have than Rondo.

Knicks haven't even gotten to the best part where he milks minor injuries for weeks.

The good thing about Rondo is that he doesn't demand to shoot sixteen times per game. Rondo knows to stop after a certain point.

code:
Date		FG	FGA
10/27/2016	1	9
11/4/2016	2	10
11/9/2016	2	10
11/12/2016	0	6

Niwrad posted:

It has to be Gar not wanting to look bad by admitting he hosed up yet another 1st round pick. It's too bad because I think sending Portis to Hoffman Estates would help.

I guess Grant will hang around the team too since Horace is the assistant GM. Too many roster spots wasted on nepotism and ego.

You'd think they could sign MJs kids.

Metapod posted:

Young teams don't win

They're not super young so I wouldn't be shocked. Although only two people picked them as playoff material in the poll.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Tae posted:

Felicio literally didn't play a minute. I understand if the coach is one of those shitheads that play vets over young players, but him and Portis are both 2nd years aren't they

And one is way way way better by everyone

Bobby seemingly replaced Felicio in the rotation a few games ago for some reason. Now there's a lot of bench playing time with Portis-Mirotic as the front line. It is, predictably, a disaster defensively and at some point Hoiberg is going to have to acknowledge that

It's also probably not a good idea to bury your talented first rounder on the bench indefinitely, but Portis should realistically be taking minutes from Mirotic instead of Felicio

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tae posted:

But the clippers have the 1 seed?

It would be kind of hilarious if the 8th seed Lakers ended the best Clippers season ever. Would much prefer to see OKC somehow upset GSW.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

Doing the little things to lose games is really underrated

THat would be a good article for that website if they're still paying you to write things

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/797642455478718464

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doesn't show the initial contact where it looked like Wade's head snapped back really quick from the screen.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Raptors good! I like them! I hope they continue doing well!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I can't help myself I keep rooting for Ish Smith. I'd like to see Beno Udrih fired out of canon though. Or, he doesn't seem that mean really, so maybe we can send him to space camp.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

Young teams don't win

Yeah it's this. It hasn't been that hard of a stretch of their season, and while they're reacting to it well, they have a really hard couple of months coming up that'll probably sink any sort of playoff hopes.

At this point the pick would be nice but I like what's going on with the team, I don't feel like they desperately need it like I did before the season. It's clearly going to be hard enough to give Ingram as many touches as I think he needs, not sure they can throw someone else in the mix.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

rabidsquid posted:

I can't help myself I keep rooting for Ish Smith. I'd like to see Beno Udrih fired out of canon though. Or, he doesn't seem that mean really, so maybe we can send him to space camp.

Beno is a nice young man and I think he deserves space camp.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Alpha
https://twitter.com/Truth_About_It/status/797617443514544128

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
So I picked a hell of a season to start more intensely following the NBA as a pelicans fan.

What's the long term hope for the team, it is it "watch Anthony Davis go godlike and lose by 10"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Craig K posted:

What's the long term hope for the team, it is it "watch Anthony Davis go godlike and lose by 10"

Davis is more than a lot of teams have but they're in a situation where they will need really deft management to turn the team around and, well, they've got Dell Demps.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I had never heard "Long Weeknd" before but it has to be one of the best nicknames in the NBA. Also this is a great oop off of a not-so-good alley.

https://twitter.com/Raptors/status/797632794776084480

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

Davis is more than a lot of teams have but they're in a situation where they will need really deft management to turn the team around and, well, they've got Dell Demps.

Pelicans 👏 Need 👏 To 👏 Hire 👏 Joe 📞Dumars ☎️

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
As I predicted, the Nurkic / Jokic combo is ruining the boys and it's very upsetting

https://twitter.com/NBAWind/status/797657323095334912

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Craig K posted:

So I picked a hell of a season to start more intensely following the NBA as a pelicans fan.

My thoughts on them right now is they have a decent amount of talent but they are just really poorly put together. Frazier seems like the kind of guy who would do best with a lot of weapons around him, but he should be playing support with AD. Asik looks like he's just bad, E'Twaun Moore is alright but probably someone you want coming off the bench, not starting. I mean, Asik and Hill are both averaging less than 7 points per 36 minutes played. That's a helluva hole you are in among your rotation bigs.

They are a team that has some hope of making a trade or a a couple FA signings and getting everything to "snap" in place as people fit into the right roles. Jrue coming back might do that by itself. If they keep overpaying roleplayers like Hill and Evans the team won't get there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with the pelicans is that no one can average more than 50 games healthy

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hand Knit posted:

I had never heard "Long Weeknd" before but it has to be one of the best nicknames in the NBA. Also this is a great oop off of a not-so-good alley.

https://twitter.com/Raptors/status/797632794776084480

Melo with the excellent screen on Noah

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Melo with the excellent screen on Noah

lmao

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cool Buff Man posted:

As I predicted, the Nurkic / Jokic combo is ruining the boys and it's very upsetting

https://twitter.com/NBAWind/status/797657323095334912

I think Jokic is better and more consistent than Nurkic. His game was just so much fun to watch during the Olympics and he was straight schooling a lot of quality NBA talent. Nurkic is a great player but his game seems to be more about throwing bulk than finesse and he completely clogs the lane keeping Jokic from operating.

But that's where it's weird. Even though I think Jokic is better I think Nurkic deserves the start just because of his presence. When he's on he produces a ton of extra possessions early in the game. I guess this'll settle out when Nurkic inevitably gets hurt or puts on 20 pounds again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Faried is getting minutes at center somehow

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Faried is getting minutes at center somehow

Malone's attempt to keep Jokic on the floor and let him do his thing. Faried played surprisingly well as a center. Not against Detroit, who killed allt he nuggets bigs, but against other teams

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm glad Jimmer is finally fulfilling his destiny as the Steph Curry of China. This could have been you, Adam Morrison!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Consulting with Duncan is the new working out with Hakeem in the offseason.

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/797169527305994242

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

If anyone wants proof that DWS is essentially useless because of colinearity look at the leaderboard rn. CP3, Blake, and DJ all in top three, separated by .1

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Consulting with Duncan is the new working out with Hakeem in the offseason.

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/797169527305994242

look for Embiid to surpass Hayward as greatest NBA competitive gamer any day now

e: Harden was the first Rockets player to have a consecutive triple double since Elvin Hayes in the '71 season.

https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/797873944988676097

chunkles fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 13, 2016

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

straight up brolic posted:

If anyone wants proof that DWS is essentially useless because of colinearity look at the leaderboard rn. CP3, Blake, and DJ all in top three, separated by .1

I don't think this proves anything. I don't think DWS get split quite properly but they're all playing extremely well by the other defensive metrics too. This isn't necessarily a problem so much as it is all three of them playing excellent defense.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Making fun of broadcasters and mentoring Embiid all via text message is one hell of a retirement IMO.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Bashez posted:

I don't think this proves anything. I don't think DWS get split quite properly but they're all playing extremely well by the other defensive metrics too. This isn't necessarily a problem so much as it is all three of them playing excellent defense.

I agree that they're playing well, but it's still difficult to parse individual defensive metrics. DBPM, DWS, and DRPM all have trouble properly attributing the effect of individual players when a team defense performs well. These metrics can generally highlight the best individual defenders on a team, but if those players frequently play together, they tend to lose precision. It's a collinearity problem to the degree that the ESPN RPM guy runs his regression to produce RPM scores, and Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan play almost all of their minutes together. Even strong Bayesian priors about individual players using data from previous years can't necessarily solve this because that data tells us both Paul and Jordan are already really high level defenders. Over the course of 1000s of minutes, these measures will get a little more precise, but most good defenders will still tend to play alongside one another and perform well in tandem.

Not really a problem if you just want to identify the plus and minus defenders on each team, but comparing good defenders in terms of overall effect is difficult.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Some of that starts to even out as time goes on, but there is a better question when trying to measure defense. What are you measuring? Defense is a team stat in a way that things like shooting or ball-handling are not. If you play heavy minutes in exclusively good defensive lineups it either means you are a good defender or you can play in a system that makes it appear you are a good defender. Both of those are the same for the team, right?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lockback posted:

Some of that starts to even out as time goes on, but there is a better question when trying to measure defense. What are you measuring? Defense is a team stat in a way that things like shooting or ball-handling are not. If you play heavy minutes in exclusively good defensive lineups it either means you are a good defender or you can play in a system that makes it appear you are a good defender. Both of those are the same for the team, right?
Yes, this is a good point.

All statistics are useful to some degree (even FG%), so I should have said what the subtextual "useless for" is. It meant that DWS is useless for pointing out individuals contributions to effective defenses at seasons end. Monta Ellis was the second best SG by DWS last season. Is he the second best SG defender? Definitely not, but high steals and being in a good team system earned him the attribution for their defensive success.

Blake Griffin has already banked a defensive win-share this season and is one of the best three defenders in the league after a ten game sample (which isn't big enough, but it still should have shown a bit of smoothing by now). Blake's an average-to-good defender at the position, but he's not a lockdown guy at all and him getting the deferred credit from Jordan and Paul's position mastery is the issue with the metric.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 13, 2016

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Athanatos' Week 3 People you should be watching:

1. Jimmy Butler - He is the top Alpha of the 3 Alpha's right now. He is alphaing all over the court
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo - He aint even got a fuckin jumpshot and he's dominating entire teams at 21 Years Old.
3. Gordon Hayward - He's been back 5 games. All 5 he's had 20 point games. He's also been a bit cold from 3 so....
4. The Lakers Bench - Luke Walton is a loving wizard
5. DeMar DeRozan - There are like a million stats that show him off to something loving crazy, but just watching him play is magic at the moment.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kobe is a sociopath.

https://streamable.com/74gb

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Jokic has gotten lit the hell up by a revolving cast of athletic 4s and has been a ghost on the court for a few games now, I'm sure it's frustrating. Malone is officially dropping the twin towers thing as it is clearly a pretty big failure. Darrell Arthur should be back soon so hopefully Jokic and Nurk will just split minutes at the 5. Faried at center is pretty nuts but he's been surprisingly effective most of the time.

Also, holy gently caress this team turns the ball over a lot. It's insane. I think they're averaging something like 23 a game. Whatever the number is, it's league worst.

Halfling Wizard Bear fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 14, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Someone get this man a something awful account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Serge beat us :negative:

• Locked thread