Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
My fanfiction has Zen-O put Trunks in the tournament and when told that Trunks doesn't have anyone to fight with him he just grabs the Dragon Balls and ressurrects Trunks' greatest foes as loyal servants so they can enter with him.

e: They act like they usually do but when Trunks asks them to do something they're like "YES MASTER TRUNKS ALL IS IN YOUR NAME" and it really weirds him out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What other shows have turned around in quality as steeply as Super has since it got to OC?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

StrifeHira posted:

Another cool thing about this fight against Zamas2. Notice how he went all Hulk Mode when fighting Vegito, and Vegito mocked him for being too slow? It's just like Trunks and Cell did! And because of that added bulk and damage, Trunks was able to outmaneuver Zamas2 as well. I am almost certain it was a callback to that. This show is loving brilliant when it wants to be. :allears:

They already made a callback to that when Trunks faked Vegeta out

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What other shows have turned around in quality as steeply as Super has since it got to OC?

Agents of Shield, apparently. I haven't watched it but that's what people always tell me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Neo_Crimson posted:

Agents of Shield, apparently. I haven't watched it but that's what people always tell me.

This is true, I swear it is. I love that damned show.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zamasu: I TOTALLY meant to give myself a glaring weakness! Something something sins.
Vegito: ...alright sure, whatever.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that sounds like xenoverse to me. I remember trunks' dialog in 1 sounding like he'd recorded it using his phone

HEY! guys.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

well super was always good, so shows that are good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Trunks' first fight ends with him cutting a guy in half top to bottom.

His last fight ends with him cutting a guy in half bottom to top.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Dunno if it's been said before, but I love that the payoff for all the hints & teases of Trunks turning Blue is him channeling the power of mortals.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I really genuinely do not get why people care when last time this happened the Potara fusion was undone by 'magic gas' almost instantly. It being permanent was never that big a deal.

I don't think the big deal is that it's a temporary fusion, at least in and of itself - I think the big deal is that by making it temporary and open to fluctuations in how long it lasts dependent on power it's basically operating like Gogeta and fusion dance, making it rather pointless to use the Potara at all in this instance. To which I'd also add that I'm not sure why Vegitto was even in this episode. I get that he was in because the writers wanted to use him, for the fans and so on - I just don't think the show did a good job selling that he was necessary to beat Fused Zamasu. Trunks and Vegeta fought back one of his death balls using twin Galick Guns last episode, and not only did Goku beat back one on his own this episode using a Kamehameha, doing so made Zamasu's fusion unstable and introduced the goopy purple poo poo. After which he hit him hard enough to gently caress up his arm, and destroy his halo. Sure Goku was drained after it (and had some broken bones because of Zamasu's attacks), but if Goku can gently caress him up that much on his own it doesn't feel like he and Vegeta need to fuse to beat him.

Vegitto's power afterwards then comes off as fairly unimpressive, since while he destroy's the initial death ball thing one handed to get off to an impressive start, he seems about even with Zamasu every other time they tussle. Which makes him come across as barely any stronger than Goku alone. It's like if the show added 1 (Goku) and 1 (Vegeta) together, and instead of getting 2 or even 11, the show came up with 1.1 instead. Which makes Vegitto feel really under powered and kind of tame and pointless frankly.

I'm not saying he needs to be cake-walking Zamasu or anything, but the portrayal of power difference could have been better implemented both so that Goku and Vegeta fusing felt more necessary and so that the resulting fusion felt more powerful.

I'd also say that I didn't like how the show handled Zamasu's fusion. It seemed to work more like a straight combination, where Zamasu and Black each joined one half cleanly along symmetrical lines to result in a single being that could de-stabilize in to two if hit hard enough to severe the bond holding the two halves together, rather than the two genuinely fusing and becoming one new being. Which seems kind of undeserving of the word fusion frankly. If he was a fused being then he should take elements of the two base fusees and make one new being out of them, not be half immortal and half mortal along straight lines.

That said, Trunks making a Genki Dama sword was cool, as was him being the one to land the final blow on Zamasu since he clearly deserved it all along, and probably kind of needed it and the above are really more gripes than full on problems, given that at worst it was just some minor quibbles with the last episode of the arc and not something that was a recurring issue or really dragged down the finale. I'm also sad that next episode will probably be the end of Future Trunks, and that he probably won't be competing in the Multiversal Tournament for a wish on the Super Dragon Balls to help his timeline or impress Zeno in some way to help him or something. Oh well.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Even though it didn't save the day, if there wasn't a good guy fusion this arc then even your grandkids' grandkids woulda had to hear people bitching about it. It'd be no SSJ Pan multiplied by 10.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I now wonder how Gogeta Blue would turn out.

Thirty seconds of power that surpasses Whis, but is spent making Beerus sit on a whoopie cushion.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Veku Blue please

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I now wonder how Gogeta Blue would turn out.

Thirty seconds of power that surpasses Whis, but is spent making Beerus sit on a whoopie cushion.

fusion dance lasts 30 minutes so gogeta would last half as long as vegito

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They used Vegito because two gods with potara were around and Gogeta doesn't exist

I mean Fusion Reborn is an excellent movie but

It's like asking why no one in Super is trying to go Super Saiyan 4

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Gogeta's clothes are dumb anyway

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, the fusion dance does exist - unless you want to argue that it's been retconned out of the Buu saga, so having the Potara fusion work identically seems stupid. I'm not arguing in universe here, I'm arguing from a production/writing standpoint.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

On the other hand, the fusion dance does exist - unless you want to argue that it's been retconned out of the Buu saga, so having the Potara fusion work identically seems stupid. I'm not arguing in universe here, I'm arguing from a production/writing standpoint.

The Fusion Dance was used earlier in Super so it hasn't been retconned out.

The Fusion Dance also has a much harder limitation than Potara where using up intense power drops the time limit by a large amount even when it's just Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan Blue would give it .5 seconds of power probably. Even with the new Potara limit that still means it can actually be used by a Super Saiyan Blue instead of instantly falling apart.

If the Fusion Danced people would be whining about why did it last so long and THAT'S a retcon.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

tsob posted:

I don't think the big deal is that it's a temporary fusion, at least in and of itself - I think the big deal is that by making it temporary and open to fluctuations in how long it lasts dependent on power it's basically operating like Gogeta and fusion dance, making it rather pointless to use the Potara at all in this instance. To which I'd also add that I'm not sure why Vegitto was even in this episode. I get that he was in because the writers wanted to use him, for the fans and so on - I just don't think the show did a good job selling that he was necessary to beat Fused Zamasu. Trunks and Vegeta fought back one of his death balls using twin Galick Guns last episode, and not only did Goku beat back one on his own this episode using a Kamehameha, doing so made Zamasu's fusion unstable and introduced the goopy purple poo poo. After which he hit him hard enough to gently caress up his arm, and destroy his halo. Sure Goku was drained after it (and had some broken bones because of Zamasu's attacks), but if Goku can gently caress him up that much on his own it doesn't feel like he and Vegeta need to fuse to beat him.

Vegitto's power afterwards then comes off as fairly unimpressive, since while he destroy's the initial death ball thing one handed to get off to an impressive start, he seems about even with Zamasu every other time they tussle. Which makes him come across as barely any stronger than Goku alone. It's like if the show added 1 (Goku) and 1 (Vegeta) together, and instead of getting 2 or even 11, the show came up with 1.1 instead. Which makes Vegitto feel really under powered and kind of tame and pointless frankly.

I'm not saying he needs to be cake-walking Zamasu or anything, but the portrayal of power difference could have been better implemented both so that Goku and Vegeta fusing felt more necessary and so that the resulting fusion felt more powerful.

Should keep in mind, when Zamasu was trying to drop giant fireballs on the good guys last episode (and in the start of this one) he was all "stupid ningen you stand no chance". And for all the damage that they did to him by managing to reflect his attacks back to him they were completely drained afterwards. Vegito more or less didn't give a gently caress any given time Zamasu got a hit on him, and it reasonably follows that he'd be trying a fair bit harder when two of the guys he just discovered he couldn't just squish like bugs actually fused. Goku, Vegeta and Trunks could get a good hit on a Zamasu that wasn't particularly trying before being just completely exhausted, Vegito could beat him up repeatedly when he was putting his all into it (were it not for the time limit anyway).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The Fusion Dance was used earlier in Super so it hasn't been retconned out.

The Fusion Dance also has a much harder limitation than Potara where using up intense power drops the time limit by a large amount even when it's just Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan Blue would give it .5 seconds of power probably. Even with the new Potara limit that still means it can actually be used by a Super Saiyan Blue instead of instantly falling apart.

If the Fusion Danced people would be whining about why did it last so long and THAT'S a retcon.

not to mention it comes with a risk of messing up and Vegeta has to get a stupid dance right on the first try.

And Vegito beating him up definitely has a point because it justifies the way he's ultimately defeated. By this point we've had an entire episode of Zamasu coming apart at the seams due to Vegito beating him up and his own contradictory existence coming apart. That's what makes Trunks, who isn't on the level of a god, but is still powerful, realistically able to beat him, because the story took the time to plausibly wear him down.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 13, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

StrifeHira posted:

Another cool thing about this fight against Zamas2. Notice how he went all Hulk Mode when fighting Vegito, and Vegito mocked him for being too slow? It's just like Trunks and Cell did! And because of that added bulk and damage, Trunks was able to outmaneuver Zamas2 as well. I am almost certain it was a callback to that. This show is loving brilliant when it wants to be. :allears:
A similar callback happened in the Cell Games. When Cell was being crushed by Gohan, he bulked up the same way Trunks did and just got clowned on even harder for his troubles.
They did a good job making this arc feel like a real continuation of Future Trunks's story.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I don't see why people were expecting Vegito to clown a fused Zamasu.

They're both Fusions, for all accounts and purposes it was just putting things back to the way they were. Goku and Vegeta were winning but it wasn't effortless.

Vegito was winning but it wasn't effortless. Seemed about right honestly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Not really if Blue is suppose to be better Ki Control/calming. Compared to SSJ3 which is basically permaflexing.

Blinks77 posted:

I don't see why people were expecting Vegito to clown a fused Zamasu.

They're both Fusions, for all accounts and purposes it was just putting things back to the way they were. Goku and Vegeta were winning but it wasn't effortless.

Vegito was winning but it wasn't effortless. Seemed about right honestly.

Zamasu himself was pretty weak. It was mostly Black that was stronger with Zamasu as support to prevent them from 2/3v1ing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Not really if Blue is suppose to be better Ki Control/calming. Compared to SSJ3 which is basically permaflexing.

The fusion time limit isn't about it not being calm enough. Energy use of any kind drains the limit. That is why getting beaten up can drop them out of fusion.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's pretty obvious that had they kept the fusion going for the full amount of time, Vegito would have won the fight. At least, imo.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

mabels big day posted:

It's pretty obvious that had they kept the fusion going for the full amount of time, Vegito would have won the fight. At least, imo.

Yeah. Goku and Vegeta both overpowered non-fused Zamasu and Black. Vegito would have overpowered fusion Zamasu if he kept going, especially with the half-immortality thing that was going on.

Trunks got to be badass though so I like how it played out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

mabels big day posted:

Yeah. It might not have been like Buu, where Vegito was just able to stop all over him with no effort, but I thought it was pretty clear he still outmatched Zamasu.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like how vegito appears for like 10 seconds and were back to power levels and metadragonphysics talk again :allears:

Me myself I liked the "mines bigger" bit.

Also Zamasu cycling through all the JRPG/Anime Final boss villain speech cliches one by one.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Plus the Vegito fake out made Trunks big moment even bigger so to speak. There was no hint of it in the trailers, and considering how in previous trailers they have outright shown things like the Zamasu fusion and Vegeta handing Goku Black his rear end that meant that it almost made the moment more of a surprise and more of a deal. Trunks didn't get handed the win or the final shot, he had to earn it and his victory was a big deal.

I mean fans can be mad all they want but Vegito in the end wasn't enough to get the job done purely because of its own limitations. Trunks was.

Because Trunks is basically the living embodiment of "gently caress limitations."

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I was kinda hoping Trunks would finish them with the old slice and dice+incinerate the pieces left move.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

so did Goku master Kaioken Blue? that's one thing that I think got lost in the shuffle of Vegito and Super Trunks

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Carlosologist posted:

so did Goku master Kaioken Blue? that's one thing that I think got lost in the shuffle of Vegito and Super Trunks

he only used it for a brief second, and didn't do a multiplier on top of it, so it probably didn't cause any problems

like when he used it before you could see his body straining because he used it for a long period of time, and that didn't happen here

i'm glad he showed he's still willing to do it though. take that, manga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Plus the Vegito fake out made Trunks big moment even bigger so to speak. There was no hint of it in the trailers, and considering how in previous trailers they have outright shown things like the Zamasu fusion and Vegeta handing Goku Black his rear end that meant that it almost made the moment more of a surprise and more of a deal. Trunks didn't get handed the win or the final shot, he had to earn it and his victory was a big deal.

I mean fans can be mad all they want but Vegito in the end wasn't enough to get the job done purely because of its own limitations. Trunks was.

Because Trunks is basically the living embodiment of "gently caress limitations."

the fakeout was awesome because it both lets trunks steal the kill and means vegito is still 0 for 2 attempts at killing the badguy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Manatee Cannon posted:

the fakeout was awesome because it both lets trunks steal the kill and means vegito is still 0 for 2 attempts at killing the badguy

vegito could have killed buu easily if he wanted, he just wanted to get absorbed so he could rescue everyone

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How many victories has Goku actually had in Super?

He beat that one alien that was threatening Hercule, uh he beat Botamo, he beat Zamasu in that sparring match... He had to cheat to get the killshot on Frieza but maybe we could count that I guess. Is that it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

vegito could have killed buu easily if he wanted, he just wanted to get absorbed so he could rescue everyone

obviously but he didn't expect to get separated; he thought they'd get out and then he'd kill buu. he could have just killed buu then and there and wished them back with the namekian dragon balls or something

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is an important topic.
My wife just bought me this.

But she also saw this.

Is there too high a price?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wonder how the DBM guys feel about Potara earrings being temporary now...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I wonder how the DBM guys feel about Potara earrings being temporary now...

DBS has been constantly making GBS threads on their cannon and it is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It's dumb, but I kinda want an arc where ~100 saiyans that were off subduing a planet somewhere when Planet Vegita got exploded heard that there were some strong Saiyans on Earth, and came to either collect them into the last tribe of Saiyans, or kill them as traitors. But they're all ~S1 Vegita strength.

People just to fight them and be done with it, but Vegita insists that since they can't kill them all (and genocide the Saiyan race), they also can't let them find out about Super Saiyan, or they'd all start going SS, and might end up actually being a problem.

So they have to fight them in base forms only, and end up needing everyone's help. Yamcha, Krillin, everyone.

Basically, an arc where Vegita can truly press his claim to be Prince of all Saiyans, and we get to see the old squad in action again.

• Locked thread