Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

2-1 and beyond are invalid because you only know to go there because an NPC tells you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
In his defense who actually listens to NPC dialogue?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
People who want to know what the gently caress is going on instead of bull-rushing on and then bitch about not knowing why they're doing what they're doing? :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Outrail posted:

In his defense who actually listens to NPC dialogue?

Counterpoint: Read The loving Quest

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The kind of people who mash through the dialogue and then bitch about "Well where am I supposed to go, where am I supposed to do" deserve to be beaten with the controllers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The kind of people who mash through the dialogue and then bitch about "Well where am I supposed to go, where am I supposed to do" deserve to be beaten with the controllers.

Modern video games have trained me that I don't have to pay attention to their terrible writing since there will either be only one path that I cannot vary from or there will be a giant arrow pointing straight at where they want me to go (which I promptly ignore and go off to do my own thing).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WLDl-RBQi0

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mother fucker must've gotten an F.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

In his defense he's not entirely wrong. There seems to be a growing issue where basic mechanics and other things are explained through blocks of text because the devs want to put in witty or cute bullshit or whatever. A simple sign saying drawbridge or any other visual cue would have been better than having the player talk to an npc, most of whom don't say anything worthwhile, just so they can have a shy guy say "Technology is something, ain't it".

I can't defend that he apparently spent like 30 minutes in this area and never once bothered to actually go near the loving bridge.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Or not talk to any NPCs in the area.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

In the new Paper Mario game most npc's will have hints on how to progress so that shouldn't have been a big surprise either way.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Modern video games have trained me that I don't have to pay attention to their terrible writing since there will either be only one path that I cannot vary from or there will be a giant arrow pointing straight at where they want me to go (which I promptly ignore and go off to do my own thing).

buh dah duh. hud bud dah duh dah duhdaduh. blugnanhung

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This kind of thing is why Valve does a lot of playtesting with their games. They make sure players understand the core verbs of what the game expects of them, and one of the ways they do that is by providing examples of it before the player has to interact with it themselves. The age of hitting space on every wall to find the hidden door is dead.

If Valve had designed that Mario level, there probably would've been a monster that opened the gate for a second, so that players understood that the bridge is a gameplay element and not a background barrier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If valve had designed it, it would still be rumor instead of a released product.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Chichevache posted:

Jesus, that's almost as bad as "I studied critical thinking an your argument is invalid because you used an ad hominem attack".

It's great when you get to explain that it wasn't an ad hom, it was an actual insult because they're a loving idiot.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

If Valve had designed that Mario level, there probably would've been a monster that opened the gate for a second, so that players understood that the bridge is a gameplay element and not a background barrier.

It's possible, but streamers and live-commentary let's players are notoriously bad at doing even basic exploration of the systems at hand, even with all the explanations in the world.

Like, gently caress, how hard is it to try to go next to the bridge? As soon as you move near it by accident it'll move up!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Somfin posted:

It's possible, but streamers and live-commentary let's players are notoriously bad at doing even basic exploration of the systems at hand, even with all the explanations in the world.

Like, gently caress, how hard is it to try to go next to the bridge? As soon as you move near it by accident it'll move up!

With all due fairness if most of them would just shut the gently caress up and focus on the game for a minor second they'd be fine.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Haha! But is it child abuse? Discuss.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

burexas.irom posted:

Fuckin yeah, probably. It's also the funniest thing I've ever seen, so there's really no way to say it's a bad thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Somfin posted:

I don't get why anyone watches streamers in the first place, but why would anyone watch one that's bad at a game?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

canyoneer posted:

I don't get why anyone watches streamers in the first place, but why would anyone watch one that's bad at a game?

You're in the schadenfreude thread. We celebrate others' incompetence on every page.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Ah, good ol' Pbat. Not having any kind of awareness is kind of his thing (though not on purpose). See: Terraria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BhRLs1uZQA

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

burexas.irom posted:

Abuse? No. Endangerment? Yeah, put the phone away while driving!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't play a lot of that type of games, but isn't one of the main points of them to go around and inspect every object and talk to absolutely everyone?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

one of the selling points of the paper mario games is the writing, so if you're not the kind of person who talks to all the NPCs why are you even playing in the first place

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It turns out that putting your indicator on doesn't magically make traffic in the next lane stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az76PWGBp4s&t=110s

This happened to me last Thurs. A dude in the left lane put on his right blinker in rush hour traffic and proceeded to just drift right in front of me without hesitation. He absolutely knew someone was there. He came within a few inches of me, and then flipped me the bird because I honked at him.

Some people are such entitled sacks of poo poo that they really do believe that turning on their turn signal entitles them to just go and "everybody else better LOOK OUT!"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Also the game has long since established that you need to talk to NPCs for hints/tutorials. That bridge doesn't exist in a vacuum.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, if that Toad was the only NPC in the game that you could talk to then sure, that would be bad design. But its Paper Mario, talking to NPCs is a thing you do in the game.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

canyoneer posted:

Retsupurae is good fun.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

All the Saints need to do is kick the extra point to win the game. Instead, they give up the first defensive two-point conversion in history.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Wasabi the J posted:

Retsupurae is good fun.

I've seen a few Retsupurare and coming from a perspective where I'm not personally acquainted with forums heroes [whoever does Retsupuraes], they were really not funny at all. Take a boring, unpleasant video of an annoying nerd talking over a worthless game, how to make this entertaining... by adding MORE annoying nerd voices. I've never heard anyone, like, quote something interesting or a particularly memorable joke, just "Yup, nothing cracks ya up like multiple layers of losers commenting into their screens". That's all well and good when it's text-based forums, but then I don't have to hear everybody's wheedly whines and they don't have to hear mine

DILETTANTE: Uhhrrrmmm huhh. Whoops, dropped my mic.
CONNOISSEUR: Not me, human being!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I don't think slowbeef or diabetus has ever called anyone a human being in a video

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Watching some guy try to cash in on the early let's play market but be either insufferable or bad at videogames was pure mean spirited fun.

One guy couldn't even beat the first level of MGS for Christ's sake.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

I've seen a few Retsupurare and coming from a perspective where I'm not personally acquainted with forums heroes [whoever does Retsupuraes], they were really not funny at all. Take a boring, unpleasant video of an annoying nerd talking over a worthless game, how to make this entertaining... by adding MORE annoying nerd voices. I've never heard anyone, like, quote something interesting or a particularly memorable joke, just "Yup, nothing cracks ya up like multiple layers of losers commenting into their screens". That's all well and good when it's text-based forums, but then I don't have to hear everybody's wheedly whines and they don't have to hear mine

DILETTANTE: Uhhrrrmmm huhh. Whoops, dropped my mic.
CONNOISSEUR: Not me, human being!

is the schadenfreude that we had to read this post

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crocoswine posted:

I don't think slowbeef or diabetus has ever called anyone a human being in a video

Not recently, but six or so years ago it wasn't considered too much of a faux pas on SA or the internet in general (or even real life for that matter).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

Not recently, but six or so years ago it wasn't considered too much of a faux pas on SA or the internet in general (or even real life for that matter).

Please post that video, because I'm 100% positive he has never called anyone a human being in any of his videos.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
who cares

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stex T posted:

All the Saints need to do is kick the extra point to win the game. Instead, they give up the first defensive two-point conversion in history.

They really have poo poo luck on crucial XPs, huh? That one's even worse than Carney's.