Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

bump_fn posted:

focus your anger on two groups: (a) the people who hosed this up and (b) the people who are at serious risk because of the fuckup. also dont just be angry be active

BE
ACTIVE
YOU
loving
GOONS

Yeah, this. I mean I can get that people like zoux and the rest of the Hill Shills in this board (including me) will eat some poo poo, but I'm seeing a bunch of poo poo on twitter about leftists crowing about... I don't know, regular people who are just scared in their own way.

Sure, take some poo poo out on Joan Walsh and Peter Daou and other hacks, but if *people who weren't involved* in the campaign are freaking out about racism and sexism, the reaction shouldn't be to laugh at them, but to reassure them and point them in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Humidora posted:

How does the DNC make you feel? Tell us in three emojis or less.

:ughh: :ughh: :ughh:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
e: i was drunk enough to gently caress up that post. dont be angry at people who are at risk OBVIOUSLY. the point of that post was to be angry at people that hosed this up, support people at risk, and get active to fix poo poo

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

MJ12 posted:

And I get that lots of you guys got shat on by Clinton supporters and schadenfreude is fun and good but you're gonna need to convince the centrists to shut up and vote for your candidate too at some point. I agree with about 90% of what's said in this thread. I agree that there are systemic issues with the Democratic party as it is. But I think that these issues are systemic-and it's not just about Clinton.

I just want to add about those mean Hilman posters; the Bernie poo poo posting was bad enough that it contributed to me switching candidates in the primary. Reliving the bile of the primary is the last thing we need for building up the new party.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I just want to add about those mean Hilman posters; the Bernie poo poo posting was bad enough that it contributed to me switching candidates in the primary. Reliving the bile of the primary is the last thing we need for building up the new party.

You just sound a bit retarded tbh. I mean lmao I poo poo on annoying Bernie posters like nobodies business but switching candidates? Pffft.

Clinton posters were just less self-righteous about being assholes. That's all.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

anime was right posted:

lol if you dont think she's going to try and push her daughter as first female pres as hard as she possibly can so she can feel like she accomplished her goal in life, no matter what it costs this country.

lol if you don't think she doesn't have the sumerian scrolls and dagger ready to transfer her consciousness into Chelsea.

If you hear Chelsea ever say "I may NOT BE Lazarus, but I KNOW this is THE PITS!", you'll know the ritual has happened.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

lol if you don't think she doesn't have the sumerian scrolls and dagger ready to transfer her consciousness into Chelsea.

If you hear Chelsea ever say "I may NOT BE Lazarus, but I KNOW this is THE PITS!", you'll know the ritual has happened.

lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MJ12 posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/clintons-popular-vote-lead-will-grow-and-grow/507455/

This article is interesting because it's actually a good bridge if you're trying to convince centrist liberals to support more progressive policy. Clinton did, in fact, mobilize a pretty significant number of Democratic voters. In fact, her turnout might be within striking distance of Obama '12, which is pretty impressive since Obama had all of Clinton's brilliance, none of her baggage, and a lot of charisma. But middle America wasn't part of that coalition. They were left out, and they voted for Trump instead because they were desperate, because they were tired, and because, yes, some of them were racists who'd normally have sat it out, but we don't need or want #3. Democrats and millenials didn't fail Clinton, unless by that you mean you want to organize a million Democrats to move to the Rust Belt.

Clinton didn't fail to inspire the people she was talking to and the people whose issues she was speaking of addressing. She just, like so many people before her, failed to address the issues of a group which was hurting and desperate and looking with nostalgia in better times, and Trump tapped into that vein of dissatisfaction. The one thing Trump said that resonates with me right now is this. "What the hell have you got to lose?" I think, more than "Make America Great Again," that's what Trump's campaign was based on, and why it won. We let these guys rot so long they figured they had nothing to lose. And we hosed up. We took them for granted and we hosed up.

Thinking of it, I think the whole "Clinton was a Bad Candidate with a Bad Campaign (TM)" message is somewhat counterproductive no matter how true it is because it implies that if Clinton had been more charismatic (like Corey Booker) and her campaign had tweaked its algorithms better, they'd have won handily. Which is:

1. Probably true;
2. Justifies centrists going "we can do the same thing in 2020 and win."
3. Is probably going to make people who supported Clinton less inclined to listen (see #2).

And I get that lots of you guys got shat on by Clinton supporters and schadenfreude is fun and good but you're gonna need to convince the centrists to shut up and vote for your candidate too at some point. I agree with about 90% of what's said in this thread. I agree that there are systemic issues with the Democratic party as it is. But I think that these issues are systemic-and it's not just about Clinton.

Turnout for the election was similar to 2012, but Clinton lost millions of votes compared to Obama. Besides that, I agree with everything in this post.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/EliTerry/status/797908847264288768

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

that guys right, lets get him!!!!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

bump_fn posted:

this is an extremely good post

I also want to say that I think this explains exactly why her ads-which I thought were pretty powerful tbh-didn't manage to win her the Rust Belt.

When your ads are about how Donald Trump is a dangerous unstable unpredictable maniac who might destroy the current world order and you are a guy stuck getting disability and nothing else because all the jobs died out

You're not gonna think "yeah the current world order is deffo a thing worth saving I'm voting against Trump"

You're gonna be thinking "what the hell do I have to lose worst comes to worst I die a quick death rather than a slow death of rotting away endlessly" and when Trump makes promises that sound nearly impossible you're gonna go "okay they might be nearly impossible but miracles happen"

e:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Turnout for the election was similar to 2012, but Clinton lost millions of votes compared to Obama. Besides that, I agree with everything in this post.

The article says that her turnout might be within Obama '12 because there's like, 7 million uncounted votes and most of those will go to her. She's still going to be below Obama but being even within 'striking distance' is pretty impressive.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Homeless Friend posted:

You just sound a bit retarded tbh. I mean lmao I poo poo on annoying Bernie posters like nobodies business but switching candidates? Pffft.

I didn't say it was the reason.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

zoux

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/CoryBooker/status/797846660441378817

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

unreal

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Homeless Friend posted:

This is the opposite of reality.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I really wish I could go to whoever's running the DNC next and tell them to run on K-12 improvement, particularly in inner cities, because it's so heavily neglected and that makes me really sad.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

leftists: we must organize massive resistance to this fascist and take over the democratic party to shift it to the left

DNC establishment:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Christ not more Rowling + politics

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

I don't disagree with the message and I don't even object to the source, but imma gonna sigh really loudly right now ok

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

He knows he's toast

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fishmech

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

LOL J.K. Rowling called Corbyn a fascist

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmarx posted:

Cartoons for real make people dumb as poo poo

processing your political views through the media you consume is as old as religion

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Venom Snake posted:

He knows he's toast

this really seems like the kind of loss whose implications will eventually sink in to even the densest DNC motherfucker given enough time, but then again I know poo poo about the DNC

do you get that feeling?

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Venom Snake posted:

processing your political views through the media you consume is as old as religion

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"
- W.J. Shakespeare

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Segmentation Fault posted:

LOL J.K. Rowling called Corbyn a fascist

wtf

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake posted:

hey vs i know ur busy saving us all but if u could put together a post about how to get active and involved i na way that helps at some point i would seriously appreciate it. I've called people and am planning on crashing meetings but a digestible "here's what to do" would be seriously appreciated when you find the time

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Alright, let me clarify. Most of it was sorta milquetoast asshollery. Zoux/fishmech/etc where like in a whole different league unto themselves.

Mister Fister posted:

This is the opposite of reality.

Could be, I tended to ignore the worst Clinton posters just because it was obvious they were totally worthless. So I might have ended up reading more annoying bernie posters my comparison.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bump_fn posted:

hey vs i know ur busy saving us all but if u could put together a post about how to get active and involved i na way that helps at some point i would seriously appreciate it. I've called people and am planning on crashing meetings but a digestible "here's what to do" would be seriously appreciated when you find the time

he sincerely does not know anything

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

why is it always harry potter?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/747527349525176321

This is in reference to her speaking against Corbyn campaigning to lead the Labour party

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

Alright, let me clarify. Most of it was sorta milquetoast asshollery. Zoux/fishmech/etc where like in a whole different league unto themselves.

Could be, I tended to ignore the worst Clinton posters just because it was obvious they were totally worthless. So I might have ended up reading more annoying bernie posters my comparison.

There were a gently caress TON of "etc."

I would be open to the argument that Sanders supporters had the quantity of obnoxious posters, but Hillary supporters had the quality of obnoxious posters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MJ12 posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/clintons-popular-vote-lead-will-grow-and-grow/507455/

This article is interesting because it's actually a good bridge if you're trying to convince centrist liberals to support more progressive policy. Clinton did, in fact, mobilize a pretty significant number of Democratic voters. In fact, her turnout might be within striking distance of Obama '12, which is pretty impressive since Obama had all of Clinton's brilliance, none of her baggage, and a lot of charisma. But middle America wasn't part of that coalition. They were left out, and they voted for Trump instead because they were desperate, because they were tired, and because, yes, some of them were racists who'd normally have sat it out, but we don't need or want #3. Democrats and millenials didn't fail Clinton, unless by that you mean you want to organize a million Democrats to move to the Rust Belt.

Clinton didn't fail to inspire the people she was talking to and the people whose issues she was speaking of addressing. She just, like so many people before her, failed to address the issues of a group which was hurting and desperate and looking with nostalgia in better times, and Trump tapped into that vein of dissatisfaction. The one thing Trump said that resonates with me right now is this. "What the hell have you got to lose?" I think, more than "Make America Great Again," that's what Trump's campaign was based on, and why it won. We let these guys rot so long they figured they had nothing to lose. And we hosed up. We took them for granted and we hosed up.

Thinking of it, I think the whole "Clinton was a Bad Candidate with a Bad Campaign (TM)" message is somewhat counterproductive no matter how true it is because it implies that if Clinton had been more charismatic (like Corey Booker) and her campaign had tweaked its algorithms better, they'd have won handily. Which is:

1. Probably true;
2. Justifies centrists going "we can do the same thing in 2020 and win."
3. Is probably going to make people who supported Clinton less inclined to listen (see #2).

this is good post. thinking on it. i agree. The DNC needs to keep the good centrists and the parts of their message but they need to greatly expand the economic justice front to the rurals and the working white/blue collars in general as well as silencing the ivory tower "progressives".

Well What Now posted:

I don't disagree with the message and I don't even object to the source, but imma gonna sigh really loudly right now ok

yeah. its not a bad "inspiring" quote, the problem is thats all those people have. stupid inspring quotes.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

resar posted:

Same reason tumblr identitarians love Steven Universe: it's garbage for intellectual babies with the nutritional value of chicken mcnuggets

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

exmarx posted:

he sincerely does not know anything

yeah but he's closer to the eye of the storm so it seems like he does

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

There were a gently caress TON of "etc."

I would concede that Sanders supporters had the quantity of obnoxious posters, but Hillary supporters had the quality of obnoxious posters.

my general description of both camps was that bernie folks would just outright call a person a dipshit and leave it and that and that the clinton folks would drag it out to 3 paragraphs minimum, while also throwing in at least one assertion of "racist" or "sexist"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Segmentation Fault posted:

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/747527349525176321

This is in reference to her speaking against Corbyn campaigning to lead the Labour party

Lol wut?

I'm not really up to speed on UK politics but Corbyn seems at worst someone who's not going to win elections, not dragging people off to the gulags.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

resar posted:

simplistic good vs evil morality and every millenials read/seen them.

in bookers case hes probably trying to get some sweet millenial cred for his 2020 run since he was 26 when a childrens book called harry potter was released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

Were Bernie posters just way worse outside the Bernie thread than they were in it?

In addition, I don't mean to rehash the primary - especially on this forum - but I've been dying to understand why the Bernie thread moving super fast and having low to no content posts as a majority bothered people that wouldn't have even posted in it.

• Locked thread