Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
INN/SOM was better because it was the standard where Heartless Summoning was a serious part of the metagame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

GB is arguably the best deck ATM.

WU is just as good. But they are far and away better than anything else.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I'm trying to figure out the best way to punish the local meta (and earn some store credit) in Modern. Lately things have been pushing towards burn quite from ~10% burn to close to between 40-50% the past 3 weeks. The others tend to be budget decks or pet decks (Goblins but not 8 whack) with a one or two people playing Tier 1/2 decks. Can anyone think of a deck better than Martyr Proc/Soul Sisters to punish this?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to punish the local meta (and earn some store credit) in Modern. Lately things have been pushing towards burn quite from ~10% burn to close to between 40-50% the past 3 weeks. The others tend to be budget decks or pet decks (Goblins but not 8 whack) with a one or two people playing Tier 1/2 decks. Can anyone think of a deck better than Martyr Proc/Soul Sisters to punish this?

If the meta is that warped, play Jeskai Control with 4x Lightning Helix and 4x Timely Reinforcements in the maindeck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Merfolk, bogles, and junk.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Hellsau posted:

If the meta is that warped, play Jeskai Control with 4x Lightning Helix and 4x Timely Reinforcements in the maindeck.

I've played this with 3/1 so that isn't too big of a change.

It has been terrible with a GPT of 12 having 4 on Naya Burn and 1 on Boros Burn. The last modern night was 5 out of 11 on Naya Burn and 1 person on mono-red goblins but not the 8 whack version. I've been playing modern at this store for almost 2 years now and normally it is 1 or 2 people out of about 12-16 but the past couple months it has just gotten super warped.

Sickening posted:

Merfolk, bogles, and junk.

I don't have any of those available for me right now. Bogles could be funny though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I've played this with 3/1 so that isn't too big of a change.

I don't have any of those available for me right now. Bogles could be funny though.

Bogles completely trashes burn with lifelink and such. The only options burn has is deflecting palm, which they shouldn't have in any number unless they adapt or run an illegal sideboard. Keeping your creatures smaller also helps.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 13, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Build an abzan midrange deck with 4 finks, 4 rhino, and 4 lingering souls with 2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor. Worked for me.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

What is available to you?

My experience is that Kitchen Finks is the single roughest card to deal with playing Burn. It pretty much blanks your cheap aggressive creatures, and it gains 4 life. Collective Brutality is another card that shits on Burn pretty hard. Gain 2 life and discard the best Burn spell in their hand is very relevant.

Bogles is a nightmare matchup for Burn. Elves is pretty strong against Burn in my experience, sense they can tutor up answers and kill you pretty fast. Soul Sisters is less good than you may think. It's a more winnable matchup for Burn than Bogles in my experience. If they can keep your Sisters off the table, which isn't too hard if they play a bunch of Sealing Blazes and are willing to Bolts to the Sisters instead, it can get rough quick. Especially sense you don't have any real form of card advantage in the deck, and all their creatures can push through or trade with yours if they keep your souls sisters offline.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mom? :catstare:

I'm really enjoying casting Phyrexian Obliterators in Modern. The deck needs work, but it's fun when your opponent clearly pauses to figure out wtf you just played.

Also, no one knows how Phyrexian Crusader works. So many people attacking Wild Nacatls into it then wondering in the chat why my guy isn't dead.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

anglachel posted:

What is available to you?

My experience is that Kitchen Finks is the single roughest card to deal with playing Burn. It pretty much blanks your cheap aggressive creatures, and it gains 4 life. Collective Brutality is another card that shits on Burn pretty hard. Gain 2 life and discard the best Burn spell in their hand is very relevant.

Bogles is a nightmare matchup for Burn. Elves is pretty strong against Burn in my experience, sense they can tutor up answers and kill you pretty fast. Soul Sisters is less good than you may think. It's a more winnable matchup for Burn than Bogles in my experience. If they can keep your Sisters off the table, which isn't too hard if they play a bunch of Sealing Blazes and are willing to Bolts to the Sisters instead, it can get rough quick. Especially sense you don't have any real form of card advantage in the deck, and all their creatures can push through or trade with yours if they keep your souls sisters offline.

Right now I have Soul Sisters, Ad Nauseam, Jeskai/Nahiri Control, Naya Burn, Infect, Green Stompy, and Grixis Delver together. I can build most decks that don't require goyfs or Lilianas except Affinity, Merfolk, Boggles, and Living End. I actually ended up playing Collective Brutality against burn last night using all 3 modes and it was pretty gross.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Mom? :catstare:

I'm really enjoying casting Phyrexian Obliterators in Modern. The deck needs work, but it's fun when your opponent clearly pauses to figure out wtf you just played.

Also, no one knows how Phyrexian Crusader works. So many people attacking Wild Nacatls into it then wondering in the chat why my guy isn't dead.

That card is super-scary if you're not running Path and I'm surprised it doesn't see much play. What are you running it in? Guy at my LGS from a couple years back used it run it in a zombie tribal deck as a backup plan.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

That card is super-scary if you're not running Path and I'm surprised it doesn't see much play.

I think there's a couple things going on there: a lot of decks either run path or don't care about a midrange 5/5, and more importantly being able to consistently generate BBBB on t4 is a real dexkbuilding cost.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I found the guy that likes Jace:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

That card is super-scary if you're not running Path and I'm surprised it doesn't see much play. What are you running it in? Guy at my LGS from a couple years back used it run it in a zombie tribal deck as a backup plan.

Current list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/497205#paper

I'm trying out the Hangarbacks and Mortarpods after I saw another list trying to do something similar, but I'm not a fan so far. I will probably go back to either Gatekeeper of Malakir and/or Vampire Nighthawk, which I was running prior to this change. I also originally started with 3 Bitterblossom and ran a second Batterskull to compensate, but at least online there's too much Burn and Infect and I really hated just auto-scooping game 1 all the time (hence why I'd probably go back to Vampire Nighthawks if I ditch the Mortarpods).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I agree with you on Walker/Mortarpod. Though coincidentally enough, the zombie guy I mentioned was running Mortarpod with Gravecrawler for recursion and Diegraf Captain for silver bullets.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Hellsau posted:

Counterspell isn't even Modern legal though.

when I was putting together a pauper deliver online I was surprised that Force Spike hasn't seen a reprint since 7th

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

The fact that Dismember kills it is a big problem too. It's a powerful card, but there actually are a decent number of answers to it that are played a lot. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't run it :).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

No Luck Needed posted:

when I was putting together a pauper deliver online I was surprised that Force Spike hasn't seen a reprint since 7th

Not that anyone would play it, but it is weird that force spike isn't modern legal and mana tithe is.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I thought Tron was dead?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShadeofBlue posted:

The fact that Dismember kills it is a big problem too. It's a powerful card, but there actually are a decent number of answers to it that are played a lot. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't run it :).

Oh yeah, forgot about Dismember. That makes a little more sense now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All hail our overlord Tom Ross.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Went to a 40-team Unified Modern event today! What a fun format, it was amazing. My team was Tron/Infect/BWTokens (me on tokens) and we top 8'd.

NO ONE expected tokens today (rightly so) and when you have 1/3 chance of going up against someone with EE to shut you down. I dom'd Bant spirits AND eldrazi, burn twice, jeskai twice and lost to skred.

Had a great time with my team going 5-2 - will def. play again!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Balon posted:

Went to a 40-team Unified Modern event today! What a fun format, it was amazing. My team was Tron/Infect/BWTokens (me on tokens) and we top 8'd.

NO ONE expected tokens today (rightly so) and when you have 1/3 chance of going up against someone with EE to shut you down. I dom'd Bant spirits AND eldrazi, burn twice, jeskai twice and lost to skred.

I want your list and I want it now.

And just a reminder:

Star Man posted:

All hail our overlord Tom Ross.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

I just want to say I've played Tokens for a while and I've never lost a game to Engineered Explosives. :shrug:

Either they've dropped it on 0 and I just stop dumping bodies on the board and keep wailing on them until they pop it (at which point I can fill the board again pretty quickly) or they've dropped it on 2 to kill my enchantments and I just drown them in bodies.

I have lost games to Anger/Pyroclasm though.

My list is mostly the Modern Event deck + Thoughtseize & Sorin. :v:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Boswell was nonstop gushing about Tom Ross the whole weekend and even more so in the top 8, it was getting a little excessive.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Star Man posted:

I want your list and I want it now.

4 Godless Shrine
1 Ghost Quarter (Should be Fetid Heath)
2 Isolated Chapel (Should be Fetid Heath)
3 Shambling Vent
2 Concealed Courtyard
4 Marsh Flats
2 Caves of Koilos
1 Vault of the Archangel
4 Plains
1 Swamp

4 Spectral Procession
3 Raise the Alarm
4 Lingering Souls
4 Intangible Virtue
2 Honor the Pure
2 Dismember
1 Murderous Cut
1 Secure the Wastes
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Thoughseize
4 Path to Exile
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

SB:
2 Zealous Persecution
1 Sundering Growth
2 Auriok Champion
3 Stony Silence
2 Rest in Peace
3 Timely Reinforcements
2 Surgical Extraction

Secure the Wastes and Murderous Cut were both underperformers all day and will likely get cut. I wouldn't mind trying 2 Collective Brutality/Effort in their place.
Note: I could not run pithing needles as my teammate was running them instead.

Round 1 Versus Bant Spirits
Game One went my way and we were battling back-and-forth with a Steel'd up Geist versus an army of tokens + Sorin (well, 3 Sorins). I got the edge when he tapped out to gavony up his crew and I got to path a drogskol without fear of the queller. Game 2 (+2 Surgical, +2 Timely, -2 Thoughtseize, -1 Secure, -1 Cut) he popped TWO EEs to one-sided wrath me - I thought I was safe after the first but apparently since he was the only one on his team to run them he ran a full 4 in the board. Game 3 (+1 Cut, -1 Timely) I immediately picked his hand apart with 3x Inquisitions, including pulling an EE, and ran him over with Tokens + Gideon. Best Quote: "Who the hell brings token to a competitive event? What the hell even is this?"

Round 2 Versus Burn
Notoriously a difficult match for me because they can kill me before I stabilize, but between discard and removal I managed to neuter his early game of relying on swiftspears for long-term damage - ended up taking game 1 on the back of 3 2/2 flying vig tokens. Game 2 (-1 Secure, -2 Dismember, -2 Thoughseize, +2 Auriok Champ, +3 Timely) Dude got salty when I Timely'd on turn 3, followed by Honor + Intangible on turn 4, in to Sorin on 5, scooping after I could gain more life than he could deal, while profitably blocking all his dudes forever. Game 3 I hit Turn 2 Auriok, turn 3 Spectral and my opponent scooped. Best Quote: "What a broken, unfair card (Auriok Champion) why isn't this crap banned?"

Round 3 Verus Bant Eldrazi
This was the other deck I was looking to pilot at this even but sometimes the deck just draws dead for no reason and has no outs. My singleton Ghost Quarter was MVP game 1 when I hit his turn 1 temple that he was dumb enough to play without another temple. Got there with a single lingering souls+flashback and a virtue. Game 2 (-1 Secure, -1 Cut, +2 Surgical) Opponent mull to 6, Turn 1 he dropped a heirarch, turn 2 I Inquisitioned him to see 3 Reality Smashers and another noble so I picked the noble, and he was lucky enough to hit a land, then topped'd a temple to start playing running Smashers, but by that time I had played a Virtue, Spectral, and and lingering souls in my hand. I triple blocked a few times to eat the smashers until I could get the heat to crack back. Best Quote: "How do pros win with (bant eldrazi) - it even loses to spirits!"

Round 4 Versus Burn
Game 1 played almost exactly like a mirror to Game 1 round 2 - I cleaned out 2 Eidolons from his hand with discard, path'd a Swiftspear, and stabilized with tokens. Game 2 (-1 Secure, -2 Thoughtseize, -2 Dismember, +3 Timely, +2 Auriok Champion) didn't go my way at all - I mulled to 5 and was at 5 life before I knew it. I Timely'd and got Skullcrack'd for my troubles and we moved to next. Game 3 I kept Inquisition, Inquisition, Timely, Timely, 3 land. I picked apart his hand, being sure to grab the skullcracks before playing timely for +6, 3 tokens - then topdecked in to a Sorin & 4th land to start widening the gap. An intanglible virtue was enough to seal the deal. Best Quote: "How the hell am I supposed to win against all those creatures? With Flying, Vigilance, Lifelink? That deck is impossible to beat!"

Round 5 Versus "Suicide Blue" (had this labeled as Jeskai earlier)
Game 1 I had no idea what the guy was playing - I turn 1 Inq'd him to see mut. growth, snappy, sleight of hand, bolt. I was sure to keep him off of creatures and he did literally nothing all of game 1 except bolt a token. Notably he did play a Thing in the Ice but wasn't able to flip it. Game 2 (-1 Secure, -2 Dismember, -1 Sorin, +2 Surgical, +2 Rest in Peace) at this point I was worried he was playing some kind of storm deck or ascendancy combo so I tried to board in the ani-combo stuff. Kept a hand with 3 paths, Inquision + surgical, which hit the motherlode - he kept an opener with 2 Thing in the Ice, 2 Sleight of hand, Mut. Growth & Temur Battle Rage. I took a Titi and extracted it, which he told me was 4/10 creatures his deck ran - the others being 4 Kiln Fiend, and 2 snappy. He hit probe'd me to see the 3 Paths and scooped knowing he'd never be able to do anything more than bolt me. Best Quote: "How does a non-blue deck play better control than that?"

Round 6 Versus Jeskai "Control"
Game 1 was starting to look the exact same as the previous round, but with some more counter magic and Mantis Riders. I made sure my dudes got bigger than his and it was no contest - he sighed, visibly irritated, when he had to counter the initial cast of a Lingering Souls but couldn't counter the flashback. Game 2 (-1 Secure, -2 Dismember, +2 Surgical, +1 RIP) We started off "Strong" when I turn 1 Inquisition'd a mantis rider and attempted to extract it, so he, in response, extracted his own mantis rider! He partners looked at him like he was an idiot, but he exclaimed he couldn't possibly win a game without riders. I don't know if that's actually the way it was supposed to happen, but I let it go. He had nothing but Serum Visions and a snapcaster in his hand otherwise. I ended up soaking a lot of his counter magic with a lingering souls+flashback (value!) but what brought it home for me was Gideon the Creature. He beasted his way through multiple snapcasters chumping him until he was big enough to make an emblem and survive to help the rest of the army. At one point my opponent was going to Anger of the Gods, but I had JUST hit 4 toughness on Gideon's token bros between intangible + emblem. Best Quote: "I thought Mantis Rider was the best flier but your deck gets 3 mantis riders at once!"

Round 7 Versus "Skred Prison"
This was... interesting. These guys were seeded #1 and were paired down against us as they had already played seeds 2 & 3. They had scouted our decks as well, like true scumbags, and my opponent mulled until he hit a god hand of mountain, SSG, ritual, Ensnaring Bridge turn 1. I could do nothing as he drew New Chandra and Koth of the Hammer to kill me slowly. Game 2 (-1 Secure, -2 Thoughtseize, -2 Dismember) I knew I had to ensure he couldn't get a bridge down. I could win through that without a doubt. I turn 1 Inq'd him with no bridge in hand and took a blood moon, which he could have cast on turn 2 to lock out my entire mana base for the hand I kept. on his turn 2 guess what he topdeck'd? Bridge. Ritual, Bridge and I couldn't cast anything. The only thing I could hope for was my Sundering Growth, but on turn 4 he chalice'd for 2 locking me out entirely.

My personal record for the day was 6-1, but the team went 5-2 (we lost rounds 2 and 7) and we made about $100 credit each. Format is incredibly fun and gives some Tier 2/3 decks some new legs as they can avoid a lot of the really prevalent sideboard hate that turns them off entirely. Looking forward to more of this format locally.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Balon posted:

Round 2 Versus Burn
Notoriously a difficult match for me because they can kill me before I stabilize, but between discard and removal I managed to neuter his early game of relying on swiftspears for long-term damage - ended up taking game 1 on the back of 3 2/2 flying vig tokens. Game 2 (-1 Secure, -2 Dismember, -2 Thoughseize, +2 Auriok Champ, +3 Timely) Dude got salty when I Timely'd on turn 3, followed by Honor + Intangible on turn 4, in to Sorin on 5, scooping after I could gain more life than he could deal, while profitably blocking all his dudes forever. Game 3 I hit Turn 2 Auriok, turn 3 Spectral and my opponent scooped. Best Quote: "What a broken, unfair card (Auriok Champion) why isn't this crap banned?"

Did you make sure to write 3-0 on the match slip too?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Went 0-2 drop in a draft at one of the shops I go to, and decided to join the standard sealed league they have starting up. Got 3 BFZ packs and a pretty nice looking u/r devoid deck, despite not playing any of my rares (Munda, shrine, and hedron network). But I did manage to open this. My first ever expedition/invention.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Tom Ross wins the modern open with Inf-- err, GW Tron?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Balon posted:

Round 1 Versus Bant Spirits
+2 Surgical

Round 3 Verus Bant Eldrazi
+2 Surgical

Round 5 Versus "Suicide Blue"
+2 Surgical

Round 6 Versus Jeskai "Control"
+2 Surgical

Pretend I made 4 separate quotes here and responded to each one with "Why?"

Edit: ok you explained one but that's not even a combo deck that Surgical is good against.[/Edit]

Balon posted:

Round 7 Versus "Skred Prison"
This was... interesting. These guys were seeded #1 and were paired down against us as they had already played seeds 2 & 3. They had scouted our decks as well, like true scumbags, and my opponent mulled until he hit a god hand of mountain, SSG, ritual, Ensnaring Bridge turn 1.

So the people at the top tables saw the other people at the top tables' decks? That's so scummy. I can't believe you didn't play under a shroud so nobody else could see your cards.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 14, 2016

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dehtraen posted:

Did you make sure to write 3-0 on the match slip too?

No I lost game 1, my mistake. Also in team unified results are binary - either your team took 2/3 matches and won, or you lost. # of games played is irrelevant.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

suicidesteve posted:

Pretend I made 4 separate quotes here and responded to each one with "Why?"

So the people at the top tables saw the other people at the top tables' decks? That's so scummy. I can't believe you didn't play under a shroud so nobody else could see your cards.

I had great results extracting something key from the yard all day. Siding extractions in wasn't always relevant but when it was it was a blow out.

Our opponents the last round mulled in to ideal hands game 1 with the foreknowledge of what our decks were. After our round we were talking and my opponent said he knew he needed to hit bridge in his opener in order to shut me down. That just felt super bad to me as our team had no opportunity at the same edge (they finished their rounds very quickly).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=109530 I like this deck very much

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
That counter-extractioning his own mantis rider is absolutely hilarious and works exactly the way he wanted it to.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

I love this the turn 1/2 blood moon turning city of traitors into a mountain is such an interesting synergy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is a deck that shows no respect for the game of magic or for your opponent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tag yourself I'm the Combustible Gearhulk doming for 18

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Are you ready for IRL MODO treasure chests?

also a planechase reprint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

"Please play standard again"

• Locked thread