Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bows1 posted:

never seen an Anime. worth a watch?

Oshii's two movies are classics. Slow, meditative, and moody. They're absolutely worth watching, but don't expect anything like that trailer.

The movie seems to be drawing far more from the flashy and more action oriented TV series, though it gets its narrative from the 2nd season which had its overarching story laid down by Oshii. The second season had a blend of the moody philosophical slant of Oshii's movies and the flashy action of the 1st season. That compromise in tone is about as much as lovers of the two films can probably hope for from a big budget Hollywood adaptation, and if they can strike the balance as well as the show did, I'll be satisfied.

We should be getting our more restrained neo-noir with Villenueve's Blade Runner sequel next year anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

The movie seems to be drawing far more from the flashy and more action oriented TV series, though it gets its narrative from the 2nd season which had its overarching story laid down by Oshii.

What do you mean? The movie is about the Laughing Man isn't it?

Edit: Oh, I guess not, Michael Pitt is playing Kuze

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 14, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The stunts look good and the artistic direction is cool, but Scarlett Johansson and Other White People look absolutely inessential. Without trying very hard my mind jumped to Rinko Kikuchi for that role. Imagine if they actually tried looking for a suitable actress.

Every instance of a Japanese Thing showing up just made me madder. I wasn't even mad before. They probably could have gotten away with a Blade Runner where the world was only kinda Neo-Tokyo. But the kimonos, the make-up, the monks.

It's 2016 Asians Are Still Optional

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Most people who brought up Rinko Kikuchi in earlier/other threads only seemed to know her from Pacific Rim. If that role is the first thing that pops up in your head for a strong female protagonist I think there are bigger issues than ethnicity.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvW_L8sTu5E

Now that is how you do a live action adaptation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Most people who brought up Rinko Kikuchi in earlier/other threads only seemed to know her from Pacific Rim. If that role is the first thing that pops up in your head for a strong female protagonist I think there are bigger issues than ethnicity.
I know her only from Cloud Atlas.

Also, folks aren't digging around for strong female protagonists. They're looking for Japanese actresses who speak English. You can't possibly be missing the point.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

She was not in that movie

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm a total fraud, kill me or ban me. A racist against my own people.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jenny Angel posted:

She however was in Babel, the movie adaptation of Norwegian Wood and that one movie literally inspired by Fargo of which I don't remember the name of right now.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deakul posted:

Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme, beauty and the.. eugh..

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Deakul posted:

Huh, it looks like it's not actually going to be a straight adaptation of the movie (although a lot of stuff is there), because it looks like Maurice incurs ire by plucking a rose from the garden, which is in one of the fairy tale versions...

Ok, I might be interested.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vegetable posted:

The stunts look good and the artistic direction is cool, but Scarlett Johansson and Other White People look absolutely inessential. Without trying very hard my mind jumped to Rinko Kikuchi for that role. Imagine if they actually tried looking for a suitable actress.

Every instance of a Japanese Thing showing up just made me madder. I wasn't even mad before. They probably could have gotten away with a Blade Runner where the world was only kinda Neo-Tokyo. But the kimonos, the make-up, the monks.

It's 2016 Asians Are Still Optional

Johansson is the absolute worst fit for this role, I agree.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vegetable posted:

Should have said Karen Fukuhara, mister scrub fraud.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A lot of white faces doesn't bother me since the world of the anime was multicultural, with a lot of Americans, Russians, etc. Nation's are only just barely relevant anymore and the northern reaches of Japan seem to be in Russia. Hell, the movie's iconic theme is a Mandarin wedding song sung to the melody of a Polish dirge with a traditional Japanese vocal style.

It's not really just multicultural with a bunch of white faces mixed in though, is it? Aside from Aramaki every named character is white. I understood the (lovely) reality of needing a white girl to play Motoko, since there's no way this movie happens without an international big name that you can slap on posters, and what Japanese actress fits that bill? How many non-white actresses fit that bill? Symptoms of a system wide disease. But why does every other supporting character, save one, also have to be white?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNa98Idn_hM

Another Patriots Day trailer.

I ... I'm just not feeling it?

edit:

On the other hand Jackie looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cdzT05HpS4

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 15, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'll reiterate what I've said before about Patriots Day, which is that it's a craven attempt to situate Mark Wahlberg as "Boston's Hero" once again in a story that really doesn't need to be told in this format. Lessons I learned from that trailer:

Cops are apparently hot in uniform
Muslim women do not have rights (in fact they have "poo poo")
America is unstoppable as long as we're still willing to execute our own citizens.

The whole thing is frankly pretty vile. I'm sure we'll even get some bloody, shaky-cam, muffled-sound shots of Martin Richard dying on Boylston St just because.

edit: Jackie looks phenomenal. One anecdote that I wish would made it into the movie but probably won't:

RFK and LBJ were known to despise each other. They absolutely hated each other and it was no secret. LBJ saw RFK as constantly putting himself between LBJ and the President, and RFK felt similarly towards LBJ. In any case, LBJ was on board Air Force One, on the tarmac, in Dallas, as JFK is pronounced dead. In order to assume the presidency, he needs to officially take the oath of office, right there on the plane. The trouble was, there was no copy of the oath anywhere on board. LBJ sent some of his aides back into the city to track down a copy in a public library. At the same time however, he realized that Bobby was in the White House, and had just heard the news minutes ago (JFK had been shot 2 hours prior). So, LBJ got on the phone to the White House and instructed Bobby to find a copy of the oath in the white house library, and made him read the oath of office to his sworn enemy, hours after his brother was assassinated.

LBJ then also carefully orchestrated a photo op on board the flight to capture the moment, and insisted that Jackie be next to him in the photo so that everyone could see that the Kennedy's supported him. She was still wearing JFK's blood on her dress.

Ice cold.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 15, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

algebra testes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNa98Idn_hM

Another Patriots Day trailer.

I ... I'm just not feeling it?

edit:

On the other hand Jackie looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cdzT05HpS4

Agitprop, both of them, though Jackie is a bit more elegant about it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Agitprop, both of them, though Jackie is a bit more elegant about it.

What makes you think Jackie is agitprop other than the fact that it's about a political figure? Like, what do you think it's trying to do?

a movie review posted:

A breathtaking sequence finds Jackie, finally unaccompanied in her wing of the White House, swirling through rooms, necking vodka, popping pills, and listening with rueful irony to Richard Burton’s Broadway recording of “Camelot.”

Those Kennedys sure were worth idolizing!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Well I gotta disagree with that reviewer's assumption that necking vodka and popping pills while listening to Broadway bangers is a bad thing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'd probably do the same thing after getting in there. The first week would be a booze fueled sex romp.

THE loving WHITE HOUSE

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I'd probably do the same thing after getting in there. The first week would be a booze fueled sex romp.

THE loving WHITE HOUSE

Now picture this as Donald Trump. The next president is going to have to nationalize Lysol to sanitize the place.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I bet sincerely that, like, Melania stole a fork at her White House visit, or something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I bet sincerely that, like, Melania stole a fork at her White House visit, or something.

Trump's son looks like the guy that puts free food in his pocket at fancy dinners.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MacheteZombie posted:

Trump's son looks like the guy that puts free food in his pocket at fancy dinners.

Wasn't there a pic of him at, like, Chick-fil-a and he had lemonade in what is clearly the "free water" cup?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Wasn't there a pic of him at, like, Chick-fil-a and he had lemonade in what is clearly the "free water" cup?
https://twitter.com/xwnklmnx/status/789138575749066752?ref_src=twsrc

even though we're operating at very different income levels id feel like 2 much of a hypocrite to give him poo poo for this one tbh

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

Tbf Chick-fil-a offers water, lemon, and sugar for free so the best any argument could do is prove he out-orders the menu. Truly a great America to be alive in.

I'll tell ya what they don't offer, equal rights support for the lgbtq community.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I remember hearing on thing on radiolab I think where there's a wealth of studies pointing to the fact that wealth, especially opulent wealth, not only makes you less charitable, but also more likely to just take things you feel entitled to even when given a basic, polite injunction not to do it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

K. Waste posted:

I remember hearing on thing on radiolab I think where there's a wealth of studies pointing to the fact that wealth, especially opulent wealth, not only makes you less charitable, but also more likely to just take things you feel entitled to even when given a basic, polite injunction not to do it.

Eat the rich.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] Trying not to get muted again. Fingers crossed! Recut the official GITS trailer with Kenji Kawai flavor instead of Depeche Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLcm6_fmvU

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 16, 2016

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I liked the way you took out more of the dialogue and let the visuals be judged by themselves. It's much stronger and made me more excited to see it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

teagone posted:

[edit] Trying not to get muted again. Fingers crossed! Recut the official GITS trailer with Kenji Kawai flavor instead of Depeche Mode.

So much better.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can someone hire this loving person??

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

nice use of the Gits; Innocence soundtrack

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Way better.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

I'll reiterate what I've said before about Patriots Day, which is that it's a craven attempt to situate Mark Wahlberg as "Boston's Hero" once again in a story that really doesn't need to be told in this format. Lessons I learned from that trailer:

America is unstoppable as long as we're still willing to execute our own citizens.

The whole thing is frankly pretty vile. I'm sure we'll even get some bloody, shaky-cam, muffled-sound shots of Martin Richard dying on Boylston St just because.

edit: Jackie looks phenomenal. One anecdote that I wish would made it into the movie but probably won't:

RFK and LBJ were known to despise each other. They absolutely hated each other and it was no secret. LBJ saw RFK as constantly putting himself between LBJ and the President, and RFK felt similarly towards LBJ. In any case, LBJ was on board Air Force One, on the tarmac, in Dallas, as JFK is pronounced dead. In order to assume the presidency, he needs to officially take the oath of office, right there on the plane. The trouble was, there was no copy of the oath anywhere on board. LBJ sent some of his aides back into the city to track down a copy in a public library. At the same time however, he realized that Bobby was in the White House, and had just heard the news minutes ago (JFK had been shot 2 hours prior). So, LBJ got on the phone to the White House and instructed Bobby to find a copy of the oath in the white house library, and made him read the oath of office to his sworn enemy, hours after his brother was assassinated.

LBJ then also carefully orchestrated a photo op on board the flight to capture the moment, and insisted that Jackie be next to him in the photo so that everyone could see that the Kennedy's supported him. She was still wearing JFK's blood on her dress.

Ice cold.

LBJ: Spoke loudly and carried a big dick.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

Ice cold.

god what a dick

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

I liked the way you took out more of the dialogue and let the visuals be judged by themselves.

That was actually a result of the limitations in the software I use to isolate dialogue audio, haha. I couldn't get a lot of the dialogue from the crux of the trailer to sound clean or mix in against the music I was using, so I had to work around that. The lines I did manage to extract though, I'm pretty happy with the result. That was my first time isolating dialogue audio from a preexisting mix in Audition :)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Super into this new trailer for REPLACE, an indie horror starring Barbara Crampton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7H0YEE2CNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

They're on the wrong side of Dealey Plaza!

It's one thing to change stuff for creative license or ease of filming, but they're driving the wrong way on the wrong road as they recreate a very recognizable event! :argh:

• Locked thread