Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Bohemians played in Bel Air this year (which is really far from Baltimore), and the PDL is not a pro league. We also have the Blast (a pro(?!) indoor team), and some kind of semi-pro futsal team that plays in the county.

It sucks that Wilmington is losing their team, but Baltimore badly needs a pro outdoor soccer team. I don't really care whether it's USL or NASL, or if it's some greedy owner moving their team here from another city. I'm mad that Under Armour owns like half the city and is the kit sponsor of a bunch of big teams (and the ball sponsor of the NASL!), but somehow we don't have a team of our own. Somebody needs to make it happen!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

camoseven posted:

The Bohemians played in Bel Air this year (which is really far from Baltimore), and the PDL is not a pro league. We also have the Blast (a pro(?!) indoor team), and some kind of semi-pro futsal team that plays in the county.

It sucks that Wilmington is losing their team, but Baltimore badly needs a pro outdoor soccer team. I don't really care whether it's USL or NASL, or if it's some greedy owner moving their team here from another city. I'm mad that Under Armour owns like half the city and is the kit sponsor of a bunch of big teams (and the ball sponsor of the NASL!), but somehow we don't have a team of our own. Somebody needs to make it happen!!!

Wilmington is moving to Baltimore to play in the PDL, though. So Baltimore isn't getting a pro outdoor team from this.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Do over Ham posted:

Wilmington is moving to Baltimore to play in the PDL, though. So Baltimore isn't getting a pro outdoor team from this.

No one knows what division they're going to play in yet, and Goff has been hearing rumors that they'll stay in the USL.

e: and I can't find the article now, but I read somewhere that there is going to be a PDL club with the Hammerheads name staying in Wilmington. That was way back when these rumors first started, though, so maybe plans have changed or I'm misremembering. e2: oh and Goff mentions it in his article, too.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 26, 2016

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

camoseven posted:

No one knows what division they're going to play in yet, and Goff has been hearing rumors that they'll stay in the USL.

e: and I can't find the article now, but I read somewhere that there is going to be a PDL club with the Hammerheads name staying in Wilmington. That was way back when these rumors first started, though, so maybe plans have changed or I'm misremembering. e2: oh and Goff mentions it in his article, too.

Well hopefully they don't pull an Austin Aztex and go into an annual "one year hiatus" with no end in sight.

quote:

Exclusive: California NASL Expansion Bids Take Form

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/09/26/exclusive-california-nasl-expansion-bids-take-form/

Midfield Press has been in touch with an expansion group in San Diego that is targeting a Spring 2018 debut in the North American Soccer League. While we cannot reveal the group’s identity out of respect for their process, we can share that it is the same group that was reported by NBC in May as planning to start in USL for the 2017 season.

Midfield Press previously shared that we have been in touch with a group in Los Angeles looking to start in Spring 2017. The L.A. group would need official acceptance into the league soon in order to be ready in time for Spring 2017, however they feel they have all of the pieces in place to make a strong debut next season if approved.

Neither the Los Angeles or San Diego groups are officially accepted in the league at this time, but they both have impressive backing and roots in the community. Both groups continue to prefer the NASL model over USL despite the recent reports of turmoil with several current NASL clubs. Brian Andres Helmick of the San Francisco Deltas calmed fears when speaking to the Telegraph, “We have a core group of strong owners and there is a lot of potential. I believe there are things the league should have done differently in the past and we’re actually really focused on getting aligned around our vision and what are the alternatives in the future. Expect to see differences in how we operate.”

quote:

Philadelphia Fury Build Upon NASL Ambitions While Growing The ASL

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/09/27/philadelphia-fury-builds-upon-nasl-ambitions-while-growing-the-asl/

Last May, the Jonathan Tannenwald of Philly.com broke the news that there was an effort to bring a North American Soccer League team to the Philadelphia market. The Philadelphia Fury of the American Soccer League were reported to be putting together an investor group to make the leap up to NASL. This news emerged as the Fury were set to play SD Eibar of La Liga in a friendly, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

The Philly.com report suggested that possible investors into the Fury could come from a La Liga club, a Las Vegas-based investment group and/or an Emarti family. Since those reports, little has been heard on this matter.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2016/09/29/its-official-hammerheads-will-compete-in-pdl-in-2017-not-usl/

It’s official: Hammerheads will compete in PDL in 2017, not USL

quote:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/nasl-power-rankings-which-teams-surrive-2017

Stability Power Rankings: Which NASL teams will stick around for 2017?

The future of several NASL teams is fluid, putting even the league's future in question. Wes Burdine looks at which clubs are most likely to stick around:

Last week, news broke that the American lower divisions of soccer are yet again being plunged into chaos. First came Neil Morris’ report that the owners of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers were no longer funding the club and that the North American Soccer League’s other teams had stepped up to foot the bill. Hours later, Brian Straus reported that the Ottawa Fury and Tampa Bay Rowdies are poised to jump ship from the troubled league.

Though reports on the death of the NASL are greatly exaggerated, the league’s shakeup has yet again sewn a lot of doubt for its future. All this turmoil is going on while the NASL is drawing toward its most exciting end of a season yet, with five teams queuing up to duke it out for the last playoff spot.

Whether the league is still kicking in 2017, we’ve compiled a Stability Power Rankings to evaluate where these teams stand going forward. Which teams are poised for bigger things and which are headed to the dustbins of history?

3. Tampa Bay Rowdies

The Rowdies’ reported defection from the NASL could be one of the biggest blows to the league in recent history; at least, it’s the biggest blow since losing the San Antonio Scorpions last season. Rowdies owner Bill Edwards may be something of a loose cannon (who creates mixtapes of calls that go against his club and has had some legal troubles), but he has invested heavily in his club both on and off the field. The NASL will be losing one of its charter members, as well as a club with ties to the original NASL.

The Rowdies have the third-highest average attendance (5,814) in the NASL, and the capture of Joe Cole has paid off somewhat. Edwards’ club has out-spent almost all its competitors with very little success on the pitch. However, there is a lot of room for growth in the Tampa area, and the Rowdies can build on small gains.

What the Rowdies also have going for them is the sole management agreement that Edwards has arranged with the city of St. Petersburg. While Al Lang Stadium provides modest digs for the team, the deal lets Tampa Bay capture far more revenue than most lower-division teams. It is not a permanent solution, but it’s one that, if operated correctly, could allow the team to hemorrhage less money.

While a move down to the USL is a risky move, it may be part of a longer-term plan to move to MLS.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Saint Louis FC names Preki as their coach

This could actually work out well: he has a good track record, plus he can be a big bridge to the large ex-Yugoslavian community in St Louis.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
USL semis are on, Swope Park (I don't know where that is) Rangers won against Vancouver and Louisville FC is in New Jersey next against the Red Bull(s).

Everyone put on your Utilikilt and crack a nice fruity IPA.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Paddyb posted:

USL semis are on, Swope Park (I don't know where that is) Rangers won against Vancouver and Louisville FC is in New Jersey next against the Red Bull(s).

Everyone put on your Utilikilt and crack a nice fruity IPA.

Swope Park Rangers are the Sporks USL affiliate. Swope Park is in the Kansas City MO area.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

In unsurprising news, Rowdies have moved to USL: http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2016/10/25/tampa-bay-rowdies-announce-move-to-united-soccer-league

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

More or less equally unsurprising, Ottawa is coming too: http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2016/10/25/ottawa-fury-fc-to-join-the-usl-for-2017-season

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And if you know what kickstarted this, it's also incredibly stupid.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

The NFL's Tod Leiweke and MLS's Don Garber gave lectures last night at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

A Ralph's Mobster summarized Garber's comments in relation to Tampa Bay pro soccer thusly (some editing done by me for spelling, clarity and style); my comments in bold:

1. Garber said that MLS recognizes that the Tampa Bay region is the largest market without a team in MLS, in the country.

(This is true as of January 1st this year: Tampa Bay area is the 11th TV market; Phoenix 12th; Detroit 13th.)

2. Markets with two teams are incredibly successful. Garber pointed to LA and NYC; he was implying that Tampa and Orlando are so close that it would encourage an intense rivalry.

(Which it does do, probably too well, with assault, theft, destruction of property, trying to burn down Al Lang, punching a kid, etc.)

3. Garber was skeptical of Miami making it happen (Garber DID NOT mention Beckham).

(I continue to send my powerful mind control rays, directed at David Beckham, telling him to team up with Bill Edwards and take the Tampa Bay Rowdies to MLS.)

4. MLS will probably not grow beyond 28 teams in the foreseeable future.

(Which I suspect means "until we think we can get considerably bigger MLS expansion fees than are currently considered possible.")

5. Garber implied that Orlando City ownership group would not stop MLS from expanding to Tampa Bay.

(Which only makes sense given that MLS is Single Entity, and Orlando's territorial rights exist at the whim of MLS; besides, a close local rival would be good for Orlando City, regardless of what they may say publicly about their MLS territorial rights.)

Edit to add: some other comments from other sources who attended (above via Facebook; below via reddit):

1. Don Garber was extremely complimentary regarding the Tampa Bay market and Al Lang stadium. Garber did go out of his way to mention the beauty of Al Lang's waterfront view.

2. Garber mentioned MLS looking to expand to 28 teams. Sacramento, Las Vegas, San Antonio, and many others were mentioned. Miami didn't sound definite.

3. Audience question was asked about Orlando having a hold of this market. Garber said Tampa Bay is doing great things and is a prime market.

4. Don Garber also mentioned that it's pivotal that the St. Pete Mayor (Kriseman) and the other governmental bodies get behind bringing MLS to St Pete.

5. Garber mentioned Bill Edwards by name a couple times during the discussion. As soon as the discussion finished and everyone began to mingle, Edwards was the first person Garber spoke to. Garber acknowledged the large media market we have here in Tampa Bay. He also mentioned that if Tampa had an MLS team that Orlando City's TV rights could be changed.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 31, 2016

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Called it back on Aug 27, 2016 07:09 (well, not me, some dude on Facebook):

Do over Ham posted:

This is pure internet rumor so don't take this a gospel, but a little bird has told me that Bill Edwards is planning to move the Tampa Bay Rowdies to USL next year, with the ultimate goal of moving to MLS. Allegedly the source is from people who actually know Bill Edwards.

I've no idea what to make of that rumor, but, stranger things have happened. Who knows. The USL people are on the other side of the bridge in Tampa, easy for Bill Edwards to talk to. The Rowdies currently employ ex-USL people; USL employs ex-Rowdies people. The lines of communication are potentially open. Bill Edwards was not involved in soccer or the Rowdies when the whole TOA/USL mess was going on, so he's got no dog in the NASL vs. USL fight. And I gather he might have problems with the current NASL/NY Cosmos take on running things (probably; although his only public complaint so far has been about the refs, who are not controlled by NASL in any case). And if Edwards does intend to get the Tampa Bay Rowdies into MLS, joining USL might help pave the way, possibly helping to overcome Orlando's ludicrous territorial claims.

My source was some guy on one of the Rowdies/Mobsters/Tampa Bay soccer groups on Facebook. He knew someone who knows Bill Edwards.

Given last night's Tod Leiweke/Don Garber lecture at USF in Tampa, which included (I am told) the presence of a lot of top USL people, and Tampa Bay Rowdies people (including Bill Edwards), it is fairly obvious now that this move to USL is just a preliminary step by Bill Edwards to ultimately move the Tampa Bay Rowdies to MLS. The general thrust of Garber's comments about MLS in Tampa Bay would also tend to confirm this. The Unused Substitutes podcast last month mentioned rumors of talks between Garber and Edwards; since Garber is actually in Tampa this week, and was literally in the same room as Edwards last night, it is pretty likely that they are engaging in some more talks this week.

Bill Edwards has been playing it low key, even officially denying MLS ambitions earlier this year. But we've been hearing that Bill Edwards wants to take the Rowdies to MLS, from second hand sources close to Edwards, ever since he bought the Rowdies.

As Bill Edwards put it in the official USL announcement: “I have said from the day I acquired controlling interest in this club that I wanted to make it one of the most successful teams in North America. The USL is a vibrant league, and this move is a necessary and positive step toward reaching the long-term goals and objectives of the club.”

Translation: Rowdies to MLS; USL as a means to that end. Staying in NASL was never going to make the Rowdies one of the most successful teams in North America.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 27, 2016

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Wow.. That is alot of people watching a soccer game on Facebook.

"Earlier this season, the USL [hosted] one of the first professional games on Facebook, FC Cincinnati hosting Crystal Palace, which 1.3 million watched."

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/713764?referrer_id=2424346

Also Don Garber has announced he will be coming to Cincinnati on November 29th to figure out why we are getting record attendance...

Hopefully this means we still think we can make MLS by 2020

http://www.fccincinnati.com/news_article/show/710556

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eberly's Army is getting restless here in Austin. We haven't gotten any news recently from the ownership group in a long time.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I honestly hope Garber makes it clear that he wants x number of teams in MLS several years before the expansion is announced. Having a finite and known number of available expansion places would be good for competition and improvement in the lower leagues, I think. Makes it obvious who wants it most and who's capable of creating and sustaining enthusiasm.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So it turns out Ottawa Fury didn't clear its move to the USL with the Canadian FA first and the CSA may refuse to sanction their league switch unless some conditions are met.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

So it turns out Ottawa Fury didn't clear its move to the USL with the Canadian FA first and the CSA may refuse to sanction their league switch unless some conditions are met.

Marge Ted, anyone could miss the CSA -- all tucked away down there. :allears:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Bill Edwards is apparently talking about legal action against NASL.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/11/the-deep-turmoil-of-nasl-dark-times-for-us-soccers-wild-child

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

so, like, will NASL be happy when they are are relegated to the dustbin of history?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I am at the NASL final right now, and this is the biggest joke of a stadium I've ever been to. 2,300 max capacity, no beer, they had to bring in concession stands cause they don't have any normally. Portapotties everywhere.

Also I am going to die if Indy don't win. This is extremely stressful.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

omg, they're playing it at st johns' hilarious stadium?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bill Edwards is an absolute clown, and odds are he's doing this to try to get out of the exit fee. He would have known exactly what the governance structure was when he bought in. He knows that the league removed Aaron Davidson they day after he was indicted, and that they also removed from Traffic from the league structure as much as they legally could. He knows that they then helped expedite the sale of Traffic's team in the league (Carolina). He also knows that the league cannot force Traffic HQ in Brazil to sell its shares in the league because Traffic Brazil can sue and argue that the corrupt activity was limited to an American subsidiary (Traffic USA).

If the structure of the league bugged him so much he could have just sold the team or folded it instead. He's moving the team to the USL because his goal is MLS, and that's fine. He doesn't really need to make poo poo up in order to try to save a little bit of money. This man has been court multiple times for fraud himself.

wicka posted:

For reasons that are absolutely bizarre, Hofstra University told the Cosmos that they would not be allowed to use Shuart Stadium on a weekend if they made the NASL final and told them they'd maybe have to settle for a midweek game.

I would have just let Indy host it, but the league said the Cosmos had to host the final as the top seed, so they had to find a place to play.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 14, 2016

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
gently caress the Cosmos

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

camoseven posted:

I am at the NASL final right now, and this is the biggest joke of a stadium I've ever been to. 2,300 max capacity, no beer, they had to bring in concession stands cause they don't have any normally. Portapotties everywhere.

wicka posted:

Yes, I skipped the final even though I had tickets available to me because I cannot stand the stadium or the commute to it.

Crazy Ted posted:

For reasons that are absolutely bizarre, Hofstra University told the Cosmos that they would not be allowed to use Shuart Stadium on a weekend if they made the NASL final and told them they'd maybe have to settle for a midweek game.

And they have to play any MLS visiting games at some other stadium as well.

The lack of a stadium has hurt them more than anything else. Even this year they basically closed down one half of the stadium (where I used to have great season seats) just so that they can show more people crammed into the only section open on TV.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Last Thursday morning we were treated to a couple of mysterious posts on Facebook from the Ralph's Mob president and vice-president.

Then a Facebook post that Thursday afternoon about a meeting that they had with Bill Edwards.

Then on Friday, hush hush, a statement coming soon, but then nothing.

Now on Monday morning, a statement on Ralph's Mob Facebook page about "exciting news" coming soon but it will be dealt out piecemeal over the next few days, so as not to overstimulate us; for the time being an announcement about the Ralph's Mob holiday party.

This is quite the tease. This drat well better be big news and not something stupid like a new supporters group code of conduct or something else I don't care about. :mad:

I'm pretty sure Bill Edwards is making his public case for Rowdies joining MLS, soon, whereas to date he has kept his MLS ambitions quiet and low key. If so this will be an important change. Apparently he is even expanding Al Lang to close to 10,000 seats for the upcoming Florida Cup tournament. So presumably he will be marketing and promoting the Rowdies more in 2017 as well, to fill those extra seats and get the average attendance up.

I won't speculate any further as no one has really supplied any actual hints or info yet about what is going on.

In entirely unrelated news, last Thursday was also when a mysterious group of new potential investors in the Miami Beckham United project had a meeting with the Mayor of Miami-Dade County. Apparently the previous potential investor, Wesley Edens, last mentioned back in June, is no longer interested in investing in MBU. So these new potential investors are the third group we actually know about (the other being PSG who turned MBU down early this year); no idea how long Wesley Edens has been out of the picture, as MBU has been on radio silence since June.

And speaking of PSG one of their subsidiaries in the south Florida area had mentioned interest in buying the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers a while back, but nothing has been heard on that front for a while either.

What a time to be alive. :allears:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Do over Ham posted:

Last Thursday morning we were treated to a couple of mysterious posts on Facebook from the Ralph's Mob president and vice-president.

Then a Facebook post that Thursday afternoon about a meeting that they had with Bill Edwards.

Then on Friday, hush hush, a statement coming soon, but then nothing.

Now on Monday morning, a statement on Ralph's Mob Facebook page about "exciting news" coming soon but it will be dealt out piecemeal over the next few days, so as not to overstimulate us; for the time being an announcement about the Ralph's Mob holiday party.

This is quite the tease. This drat well better be big news and not something stupid like a new supporters group code of conduct or something else I don't care about. :mad:

I'm pretty sure Bill Edwards is making his public case for Rowdies joining MLS, soon, whereas to date he has kept his MLS ambitions quiet and low key. If so this will be an important change. Apparently he is even expanding Al Lang to close to 10,000 seats for the upcoming Florida Cup tournament. So presumably he will be marketing and promoting the Rowdies more in 2017 as well, to fill those extra seats and get the average attendance up.

I won't speculate any further as no one has really supplied any actual hints or info yet about what is going on.

In entirely unrelated news, last Thursday was also when a mysterious group of new potential investors in the Miami Beckham United project had a meeting with the Mayor of Miami-Dade County. Apparently the previous potential investor, Wesley Edens, last mentioned back in June, is no longer interested in investing in MBU. So these new potential investors are the third group we actually know about (the other being PSG who turned MBU down early this year); no idea how long Wesley Edens has been out of the picture, as MBU has been on radio silence since June.

And speaking of PSG one of their subsidiaries in the south Florida area had mentioned interest in buying the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers a while back, but nothing has been heard on that front for a while either.

What a time to be alive. :allears:

In related "lower leagues to MLS" news: St Louis unveiled plans for a 20,000 (expandable to 28k) seat stadium near Union Station on the edge of downtown. Already there's been controversy, since it's not all private funds and STL city leaders are in little to no mood to spend money on a stadium after the Rams debacle unless they aren't the only ones spending public funds on the project--and there's been no requests for funding from STL County or other neighboring counties.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

In related "lower leagues to MLS" news: St Louis unveiled plans for a 20,000 (expandable to 28k) seat stadium near Union Station on the edge of downtown. Already there's been controversy, since it's not all private funds and STL city leaders are in little to no mood to spend money on a stadium after the Rams debacle unless they aren't the only ones spending public funds on the project--and there's been no requests for funding from STL County or other neighboring counties.

Sacramento city council has also approved stadium plans, for an eventual move of Sacramento Republic to MLS. Things are really heating up.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

"Historic Announcement":

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/TampaBayRowdies/photos/a.442996013834.230638.109366663834/10155448070433835/?type=3&theater

Rowdies fans, mark your calendars and join us for a very important announcement on Tuesday, December 6 regarding the club's future!

We'll see you at the Grand Ballroom at the The Birchwood in downtown St. Pete for this historic announcement! The event will start at 6 p.m. and you won't want to miss it!

Admission is FREE, but space will be limited so RSVP today!

Please RSVP with number of guests by emailing RSVP@rowdiessoccer.com.

Edit to add: also I think the MLS Board of Governors meeting is the Saturday before this? Some time in early December anyway.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 22, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NASL HQ finally convinced Traffic Brazil so sell its organizational shares in the league. It hasn't been reported on whom they were sold to.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Do over Ham posted:

"Historic Announcement":

Edit to add: also I think the MLS Board of Governors meeting is the Saturday before this? Some time in early December anyway.

quote:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article110079987.html

OCTOBER 23, 2016 12:00 PM

Sacramento’s soccer future could soon become more clear

First, a committee of MLS team owners exploring expansion is scheduled to meet in New York the second week of November. For that session, MLS spokesman Dan Courtemanche said the league is “preparing extensive data on various markets and what the impact of expansion would be on a wide variety of aspects of the league.”

Garber is then scheduled to make a “state of the league” address either Dec. 6 or 7 – and it’s possible he could have something to announce. And if the expansion issue isn’t settled by then, all of the league’s owners have scheduled a Board of Governors meeting Dec. 15 in New York at which they are expected to talk more about expansion.

The timing of this is suggestive.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

This just keeps getting weirder.

quote:

http://saintpetersblog.com/bill-edwards-seeks-control-fort-lauderdale-strikers-team-defaults-loan/

Bill Edwards seeking control of Fort Lauderdale Strikers after team defaults on loan

Edit to add: confusingly, the Miami FC mentioned in the article is not the team currently playing in NASL named Miami FC, but the formerly Traffic owned Miami FC team that moved to Ft. Lauderdale and became the current incarnation of the Strikers. Apparently the legal name was never changed? Also they don't own the Strikers trademarks, I have read, someone else does? Confusing.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 26, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Who owns the Miami Fusion name?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Who owns the Miami Fusion name?

These guys, I guess? They play in NPSL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Fusion_FC_(2015%E2%80%93)

More on the lawsuit...

quote:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nasl-a-defendant-in-bill-edwards-lawsuit-against-fort-lauderdale-strikers-55894/

NASL a Defendant in Bill Edwards’ Lawsuit Against Fort Lauderdale Strikers

This bit is particularly interesting:

quote:

Edwards is seeking damages and foreclosure on Fort Lauderdale’s assets in the lawsuit. A promissory note signed by Strikers Managing Director Luis Cuccattii, and that lists team owner Paulo Cesso as the Individual Guarantor, details the considerable collateral the team put up to secure the loans. Included in the list along with tangible assets are the team’s patents, copyrights, trademarks, rights to use of the name “FT Lauderdale Strikers” and any and all variations thereof.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 27, 2016

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Oh my.

quote:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/cosmos-in-crisis-late-pay-furloughs-cast-teams-future-in-doubt-55932/

Cosmos in Crisis: Late Pay, Furloughs cast team’s future in doubt
Edit to add: also....

quote:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=46562

November 28, 2016

D-DAY IS COMING

Cosmos' fate could be determined at NASL board of governors meeting next 2 days
Edit to add: also, some tweets...

https://twitter.com/ByNeilMorris/status/803272451828420608

https://twitter.com/MnNiceFC/status/803358853001805824

https://twitter.com/NipunChopra7/status/803333164668174337

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 29, 2016

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
After watching the Cosmos die the first time around, this second slow death just has me disinterested.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
According to https://twitter.com/pedroheizer - the Cosmos paid all players and staff, released/fired everybody, and told the NASL that they are ceasing operations.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah this sucks. I am old enough to remember the original NASL implosion; at least this time it won't take down US pro soccer with it, but I hate seeing old brands like the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers and New York Cosmos, and their fans, go out like this again.

There are rumors of Gulati and USL execs being at the NASL board meeting:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=46566#.WD8l1f-EYNQ.facebook

They really need to put egos to one side and work something out. Maybe someone will step in and buy the Cosmos and Strikers. USL is getting its D2 status regardless; NASL brand could continue as a D2 league within USL and the MLS reserve sides and smaller clubs could form a D3 league within USL, maybe. I doubt NASL will survive as an independent league much longer, especially when they lose their D2 sanctioning which seems very likely now.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

Do over Ham posted:

USL is getting its D2 status regardless; NASL brand could continue as a D2 league within USL and the MLS reserve sides and smaller clubs could form a D3 league within USL, maybe.

This is absolutely the best case scenario. But USSF will gently caress it up somehow!

https://twitter.com/AndreT_NY/status/804074463218298880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

awyeahz posted:

This is absolutely the best case scenario. But USSF will gently caress it up somehow!

https://twitter.com/AndreT_NY/status/804074463218298880
And of course that piece of paper was put up by a lifelong NYCFC fan with a porno mustache and a soul patch.

And he's wearing a loving beret in his profile pic too good lord

• Locked thread