Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mattfl posted:

What in the world happened? Did it pop into neutral or something? I'm so confused how it managed to go backwards and forwards with no one in it!

I have no idea. Driver obviously didn't use the e-brake so there's that, but other than that the Park pawl must've popped out or something. It was running so it couldn't have been in neutral or drive or it would've never stayed still. That whole area is a big slope so it went backwards downhill, and carried on going forwards downhill once it had done a nice 2-point turn. It stopped by bumping into a rockwall.

I'm amazed it didn't injure either of the two people who got in its way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

That was hilarious. I kept rewinding it and couldn't stop watching it.

I'm amazed how perfectly it didn't leave the camera framing either. Also how slow we all were to realize one of the Jeeps has decided it can do offroading without a driver. It even closed the door by itself so it wouldnt get damaged.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tuna posted:

I'm amazed how perfectly it didn't leave the camera framing either. Also how slow we all were to realize one of the Jeeps has decided it can do offroading without a driver. It even closed the door by itself so it wouldnt get damaged.

Yeah. It seriously did better on its own than a lot of jeeps do with someone inside. Also you yelling "NOOOO NONONO" keeps making me laugh like an idiot.

On a side note please stop stepping across the winch line. That is a real bad habit even in an easy recovery like this. Not trying to be a dick I have just seen people get hurt more than once working with ropes on seemingly easy jobs.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah. It seriously did better on its own than a lot of jeeps do with someone inside. Also you yelling "NOOOO NONONO" keeps making me laugh like an idiot.

On a side note please stop stepping across the winch line. That is a real bad habit even in an easy recovery like this. Not trying to be a dick I have just seen people get hurt more than once working with ropes on seemingly easy jobs.

Yeah I knew someone would mention our disregard for safe practices on this video :) No excuses, just lazy/dangerous for an easy rescue.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Okay pictures are up! This was a short weekend trip to Cougar Buttes which looks like this everywhere.

It was a fun trip, we finally got a friend out with his Rubicon to get some experience offroading it properly. He loved it and it's great to get him through some obstacles he never would've tried without seeing how capable these vehicles really are. (tough to capture this obstacle, without a lift it's certainly tricky):

More angles of "the incident". It was really teetering:

Lots of cool choose your own adventure style trails among the rocks everywhere:

You lift wheels up pretty often I guess:

We camped and had a really bright full moon all night, it was great:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hahah, holy poo poo that runaway could have ended so much worse. As it is, it's just hilarious... isn't it wierd how the first instinct was immediately to try to stop the 2ton rolling metal peice with a human body? I like to think I'd do otherwise but panic is a strange thing.

Looks like a fun spot.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

isn't it wierd how the first instinct was immediately to try to stop the 2ton rolling metal peice with a human body? I like to think I'd do otherwise but panic is a strange thing.

This isn't even the first runaway vehicle incident I've been around where somebody tried to stop it themselves, either. Haha. It happened before where my friends black TJ rolled back and hit mine when it slipped out of gear while broken down halfway up a rock. There was another guy there who also decided to try and stop the vehicle with his weak fleshy body and got shoved the gently caress out the way.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tuna posted:

This isn't even the first runaway vehicle incident I've been around where somebody tried to stop it themselves, either.

I saw a guy try and stop a loaded forklift once. People just react without thinking.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tuna posted:

More angles of "the incident". It was really teetering:

We had a similar tipsy 2 door when we were out last week as well

So that's our friend Rick and he absolutely beats the poo poo out of his Jeep and isn't afraid to try any trail. Guy in the passenger seat is a first timer out with us and is almost making GBS threads his pants lol. Rick knew what he was doing though and just wanted to give Brian a little scare. You can't really tell from the pic but that tire is a good 5 feet in the air and his front stinger is in the dirt up front.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mattfl posted:

What in the world happened? Did it pop into neutral or something? I'm so confused how it managed to go backwards and forwards with no one in it!

Looks to me like it popped out of park/whatever gear it was sitting in (if manual) and just started rolling. The forward/back thing is probably because it had enough kinetic energy to roll up that little slope and then when it ran out, it simply did what physics said to and rolled back down, except the unlocked steering column made it go somewhere else on the way down.

Could have gone way worse, like everyone said, and wow, it chose a perfect path. I guess jeeps only need spotters when there's a person behind the wheel :v:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

tuna posted:

...my friend's GF walk over to his Jeep and take the keys out of the ignition.

:wth:

*Looks closer*

Ah! I see we have a friend in common. Small world.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 17, 2016

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Big K of Justice posted:

:wth:

*Looks closer*

Ah! I see we have a friend in common. Small world.

Yeah! He's mentioned you, unless there's another H1 guy in this industry throwing off the stats.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looks like it was a fun trip, despite the ... antics :)

I'm happy that worked out so well! That could've been a lot worse.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

mattfl posted:

We had a similar tipsy 2 door when we were out last week as well

So that's our friend Rick and he absolutely beats the poo poo out of his Jeep and isn't afraid to try any trail. Guy in the passenger seat is a first timer out with us and is almost making GBS threads his pants lol. Rick knew what he was doing though and just wanted to give Brian a little scare. You can't really tell from the pic but that tire is a good 5 feet in the air and his front stinger is in the dirt up front.

Hey I just saved an XJ from the same fate this last weekend, unfortunately have no pictures of that, was more focused on getting him out of the spot since his 16 y/o was driving for his first time offroad (he easy trail+terrible line=teeter totter)

Heres some pics from wheeling, sorry about the in car shots, the group I was with was moving quite quickly

And me being stuck on account of my electric air compressor making GBS threads out on me and not being able to lock up:

Even still with open front and rear I only was stuck once, and didnt break anything else.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I bought something amazingly slow. (1992 4runner, 4x4, 2.4L Manual trans).
Here's a hellhole mallcrawling pic of it.

In it's 375 000 km it has seen two owners and never been offroaded and pretty much in amazing condition considering its an east coast car. It needs new tires stat, and firming the rear suspensions before lovely eastern canadian winter hits. The gears on the tailgate window mechanism are hosed, but I have a donor tailgate that should do the trick. That's about it.

It's mostly going to be a daily driver and roadtrip truck.

Can I post in the fun mudding truck thread? :allears:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Grimarest posted:

I bought something amazingly slow. (1992 4runner, 4x4, 2.4L Manual trans).
Here's a hellhole mallcrawling pic of it.

In it's 375 000 km it has seen two owners and never been offroaded and pretty much in amazing condition considering its an east coast car. It needs new tires stat, and firming the rear suspensions before lovely eastern canadian winter hits. The gears on the tailgate window mechanism are hosed, but I have a donor tailgate that should do the trick. That's about it.

It's mostly going to be a daily driver and roadtrip truck.

Can I post in the fun mudding truck thread? :allears:

:3: that is such a nice 4runner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Good: got slightly dusty today!

Bad: loving dicks ruin everything.
NWS for graffiti dongs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fun with the dashcam and Hyperlapse. G1W's low-light performance is pretty poo poo, it wasn't quite that dark at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_TpH41u6gM

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Most of what's in here seems to be for fun, but my only 4x4 experience has been for work. I'm a post-doc working on ecological restoration of peat bogs.
I spent the beginning and end of this summer in Alberta, working at a field site we have near the tiny town of Seba Beach. The peat mining harvesting extracting company we work with has a lease area of a few square kilometres of mixed bogs, fens, and "upland" forest (i.e. not wetland). Access to the sites are on roads that were carved out of the landscape by just driving a bulldozer up and down a few times, then throwing every kind of heavy equipment you can imagine (short of the superheavies) down those "roads"; 20-tonne 'dozers and diggers, 12-tonne tractors, and 40-tonne highway transports. We bomb up and down them in our work truck, named Cheryl, a 2007 Ford F150 4x4 with the 5.4L Triton under the hood and an expired fire extinguisher in the back seat.

Seba Beach Field Work August 2016 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Here's Cheryl helping me dispense some liquid nitrogen. :science:
Note the mud: where the ground isn't peat, it's heavy clay. Water contents range from "wet" to "saturated" to "submerged" depending on when the last rainstorm rolled through.

Seba Beach Field Work August 2016 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
2016 was a wet year. Especially late August. Parts of our site that would normally be dry (water table 20-30cm below surface) were submerged under 10-20cm of water. The "road", normally dusty hard ruts by August, was a series of sloppy mud puddles separated by treacherous gravel-on-mud. Some of the regular employees, who routinely drive heavy equipment on these roads, refused to venture beyond the Plant in August.

Seba Beach Field Work August 2016 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
That's not to say they didn't have a good reason to avoid going onto these sloppy, sloppy roads. I got Cheryl stuck, finally, having spent the last 2 summers laughing at my co-workers when they dropped her into ditches or packed mud into the trailer hitch receiver. The tractor - a dozen tonnes of bright yellow by New Holland - almost got stuck itself pulling me out.

Seba Beach Field Work August 2016 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Seba Beach Field Work August 2016 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Still, the job had some benefits. :)

I Spent $30 Washing Cheryl 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I Spent $30 Washing Cheryl 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
My coworker didn't recognize Cheryl after I spent 45 minutes at the pay-and-spray. She cleaned up nicely.

I've seen lots of rock-crawling and steep hills in this thread, but not much heavy mud. Have any of you got any advice for dealing with the sloppy, sticky stuff? My usual tactic is to keep the revs up (3k or so), aim for a speed of around 40 km/h, and ignore any fishtail less than 15 degrees. This mostly gets me through the worst patches with only a few kg getting onto the roof (the tops of the mirrors are a favourite place for some sediment build-up). Training my inexperienced coworkers in this is pretty difficult, though - they all seem very averse to any sideways movement or slithering, and avoid surface water (mostly harmless) by straying close to the edge of the road (very treacherous). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fun with the dashcam and Hyperlapse. G1W's low-light performance is pretty poo poo, it wasn't quite that dark at the end.

The scenery in this is beautiful! Interesting how the trail goes from dusty/dirt to loose rock and back again.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

The best advice for mud driving is to know when to quit.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Most of what's in here seems to be for fun, but my only 4x4 experience has been for work. I'm a post-doc working on ecological restoration of peat bogs

Hey, great post and please always show us more offroading for work!

Honest question: is there a reason you aren't running more aggressive mud tires? I'm purely a desert guy for the most part and don't know poo poo about mud, but I got stuck in sand once with the BFG ATs (I think that's what's in your photos) in a friend's rig and noticed a big difference in traction when I went from similar Goodyear Wranglers to more muddish Cooper S/T Maxxs on my jeep. ATs are a fantastic balance for street and mild offroad but it seems like you'd benefit from more tread.

I assume that's the original set or your work budget doesn't allow for MAXXIS MUD RAPTOR SWAMPKINGS.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
BFG ATs kinda suck in mud. get something chunkier, I think. All terrains are great in everything except thick, deep mud.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hey, great post and please always show us more offroading for work!

Honest question: is there a reason you aren't running more aggressive mud tires? I'm purely a desert guy for the most part and don't know poo poo about mud, but I got stuck in sand once with the BFG ATs (I think that's what's in your photos) in a friend's rig and noticed a big difference in traction when I went from similar Goodyear Wranglers to more muddish Cooper S/T Maxxs on my jeep. ATs are a fantastic balance for street and mild offroad but it seems like you'd benefit from more tread.

I assume that's the original set or your work budget doesn't allow for MAXXIS MUD RAPTOR SWAMPKINGS.
I started in this job just before the 2015 field season. We got stuck zero times in 2015 (at least while I was around - I took a bit of a vacation in July and I heard vagure rumours about one of my coworkers dumping it into a ditch while I was away, but nobody came right out and said anything). 2015 was an unusually dry year at Seba Beach. 2014 was probably close to the long-run average, and featured Cheryl getting stuck about once a month, from what I've been told. A bunch of things were different from 2014 to 2015 to 2016, but notable in this context was the tires, as you've pointed out. I'm the only person in my lab group with any enthusiasm for cars; I'd mention my hobby-based knowledge as well but I'm really an ignorant fool when it comes to cars, I just really like them.

Cheryl got new tires in early 2015. She's owned by the University of Calgary but my prof (being a post-doc is weird, she's basically my boss but by convention I don't talk about her that way) bought Cheryl second-hand in 2012 (I think, certainly before 2014). The 2014 tires were apparently terrible, I don't know what brand they were but they were certainly worn out. Getting a university to pay for anything, even if the professor's grant is really where the money comes from, is like pulling teeth. Long story short, I don't know the details but U of C Motorpool made the call, probably based on cost, cost, and cost.

If I was in charge of budgets I would have been in here 2 years ago asking about best tires for this situation. Cheryl burns about half her fuel on those "roads", because slopping through that crap is really hard work for 3 tons of Ford. Kilometres, though, are like 95% highway - we drove to Spruce Grove (60 km) or Edmonton (80 km) about weekly; the field site is 16 km from the house and only the last 3 km are on the bulldozed-bog of the site. So tires for Cheryl need to be good at city driving, 125km/h on the highway, and that mud. I don't think a tire exists that satisfies all those requirements, and for safety reasons I'd prefer to emphasize highway / city driving. Getting stuck in the mud is annoying but not dangerous, getting wobbly on the ramp from Highway 16 to Highway 216 because we're making yet another airport run is much worse. Most of my coworkers are relatively inexperienced drivers, especially regarding full-size pickups. My job description does not include "teach good driving", that's just something I want to do.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

IOwnCalculus posted:

I did a similar thing with Instagram Hyperlapse in Utah last year driving a rental Expedition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ejrKMMNPLA

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExecuDork posted:

I started in this job just before the 2015 field season. We got stuck zero times in 2015 (at least while I was around - I took a bit of a vacation in July and I heard vagure rumours about one of my coworkers dumping it into a ditch while I was away, but nobody came right out and said anything). 2015 was an unusually dry year at Seba Beach. 2014 was probably close to the long-run average, and featured Cheryl getting stuck about once a month, from what I've been told. A bunch of things were different from 2014 to 2015 to 2016, but notable in this context was the tires, as you've pointed out. I'm the only person in my lab group with any enthusiasm for cars; I'd mention my hobby-based knowledge as well but I'm really an ignorant fool when it comes to cars, I just really like them.

Cheryl got new tires in early 2015. She's owned by the University of Calgary but my prof (being a post-doc is weird, she's basically my boss but by convention I don't talk about her that way) bought Cheryl second-hand in 2012 (I think, certainly before 2014). The 2014 tires were apparently terrible, I don't know what brand they were but they were certainly worn out. Getting a university to pay for anything, even if the professor's grant is really where the money comes from, is like pulling teeth. Long story short, I don't know the details but U of C Motorpool made the call, probably based on cost, cost, and cost.

If I was in charge of budgets I would have been in here 2 years ago asking about best tires for this situation. Cheryl burns about half her fuel on those "roads", because slopping through that crap is really hard work for 3 tons of Ford. Kilometres, though, are like 95% highway - we drove to Spruce Grove (60 km) or Edmonton (80 km) about weekly; the field site is 16 km from the house and only the last 3 km are on the bulldozed-bog of the site. So tires for Cheryl need to be good at city driving, 125km/h on the highway, and that mud. I don't think a tire exists that satisfies all those requirements, and for safety reasons I'd prefer to emphasize highway / city driving. Getting stuck in the mud is annoying but not dangerous, getting wobbly on the ramp from Highway 16 to Highway 216 because we're making yet another airport run is much worse. Most of my coworkers are relatively inexperienced drivers, especially regarding full-size pickups. My job description does not include "teach good driving", that's just something I want to do.

If you can get some chunkier tires (BFG MTs or Goodyear MTRs, or maybe a more aggressive tire like a TSL SX? I don't do much mud, I hate it) it will help a lot.

Other things that will help...
- know when to quit, like someone already said
- if you aren't in 4x4 already when you get stuck, put it in 4x4 as soon as you do get stuck, don't dig your hole deeper before trying 4x4
- keep wheelspeed and vehicle speed up, as you already do. Momentum is king
- if you get stuck, backing up and going for it with more momentum is usually going to work, unless you are going to risk sliding into something as a result
- difflocks are a godsend. If you don't have them and can't afford them, and are already getting slightly stuck in 4x4, try half-setting the ebrake, just enough that you can still move the wheels (maybe with significant throttle.) This will drag BOTH rear wheels, but hopefully enough that the freewheeling one has something to fight against and therefore an equal amount of torque will go to the one that's not freewheeling in mud. Careful with this trick, it does wear the rear brakes out faster, forgetting it half-set is a great way to burn up the rear brakes completely, and it does abuse your spider and side gears in the rear differential more, but using it judiciously has saved my rear end more than once.

If you dig your stuck wheels out after getting only a little stuck, and before you make yourself REALLY stuck, it will help in the long run, since you're doing this to get from A to B instead of for the challenge.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

- difflocks are a godsend. If you don't have them and can't afford them, and are already getting slightly stuck in 4x4, try half-setting the ebrake, just enough that you can still move the wheels (maybe with significant throttle.) This will drag BOTH rear wheels, but hopefully enough that the freewheeling one has something to fight against and therefore an equal amount of torque will go to the one that's not freewheeling in mud. Careful with this trick, it does wear the rear brakes out faster, forgetting it half-set is a great way to burn up the rear brakes completely, and it does abuse your spider and side gears in the rear differential more, but using it judiciously has saved my rear end more than once.

I learned this trick driving a HMMWV. :laffo:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

GOOD ADVICE

If you dig your stuck wheels out after getting only a little stuck, and before you make yourself REALLY stuck, it will help in the long run, since you're doing this to get from A to B instead of for the challenge.
Thanks! That's helpful.

It's funny, the FIRST thing people ALWAYS do when we get stuck, even when it's abundantly obvious that it's completely hopeless, is run around looking for wood to ineffectually shove under the wheels. We could roll Cheryl on her side and I bet the first person to climb out the suddenly-the-top would go dashing off looking for a rotten 2x4 or a pile of twigs. It's really weird.

I put it in 4HI as we're pulling out of the parking lot at the front office of the plant where we sign in; Cheryl has automatic hub locks so it's pretty easy to just flick that switch. Fortunately for her tranny, you can't accidentally put her in 4LO - the procedure in the owner's manual (that I downloaded because LOL that a work truck would have that in its glovebox) is to put it in Neutral, wait a second, then switch to 4LO (removal is the reverse of installation). I've only used 4LO in earnest once, and it was too late for that - see picture above. I had already assumed that 4LO might give me an extra inch when getting stuck is measured in miles (if that makes any sense at all - I mean it's only likely to help if I'm just barely stuck in 4HI).

Storytime! (no pictures of this one) - in May my prof got Cheryl stuck by backing up a bit too far; the edge of a ditch collapsed and Cherly dropped so her weight was mostly resting on the frame in front of the back-left wheel. The back-left suspension was fully extended, the wheel just hanging in space but it wasn't obvious just looking at it because of the dry, loose peat that collapsed around the wheel as the hole opened up. Queue 10 minutes of frantic wood-gathering and shoving into position beside the wheel :confused: and frantic pleas directed at me to do "try real hard!". As an aside, I always have to do a self-check and make sure I'm neither leering nor grinning when the women I work with start yelling at me to "go hard! give 'er! harder! faster!" - it happens about once a summer and I'm always in danger of cracking up or making really inappropriate comments.

Anyway! When it became abundantly obvious to everyone that this charade was not going to help, my prof (who had not lost her cool and was standing back and watching with some amusement as her grad students scavenged lumber) decided to walk / run to the plant for help. It was about 4:30 on a Sunday and we thought the regular employees might all go home at 5:00 - and it was about a 20-minute walk out. Anne (not her real name) panicked and took off running after prof once she realized what was happening.
"What are you doing, Anne?"
"BEARS! IT'S NOT SAFE! SHE... I... WAIT!"
and she's off!
Prof came back riding on the step (with the door open) of a Loader wearing proper tires: I think their diameter was around 6 feet. The loader yanked Cheryl out without even revving the engine beyond a gentle idle. I asked the loader driver if I should try to steer it out - he had to pull me at an angle - and he grinned and said it probably didn't matter. He was right.
Anne was waiting at the office.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
4lo will just spin your tires harder. It's for grippy, slow, and steep climbs/heavy loads. The trick with mud isn't how much torque you get to your wheels, it is getting torque to all of your wheels (and not being so heavy that you just sink). 4lo is a trap in sand and mud.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Atticus_1354 posted:

The best advice for mud driving is to know when to quit.

Haha so cute. In Alberta we don't quit, we just bring out bigger equipment and throw money at the problem and then wonder why a simple operation runs up costs of 20,000 per hour.

https://youtu.be/ylkLAM8Khxc

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unless it's the middle of summer, a mud tire is almost useless in Alberta for a work vehicle. On any given day it can range from -40 to +15. Mud tires are dangerous in icy conditions. A bfg At or Duratrac is snowflake rated. The solution is to bring tire chains. They work mud better than a mud tire in the heavy clay mud around here.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Snow chains work awesome in the mud. I have a set of military HMMWV Pewegs with the diamond pattern and it's a whole different situation with good snow chains on it . I found the diamond chain pattern works best for offroading since you have chains that cover your direction of travel and side to side/lateral motion.

Looks like we're doing a Black Friday run up north of Mojave, CA next week. We usually run last chance canyon road near Garlock, CA to the Burro Schmit mine and then have dinner over at the Mexican place in Borax afterwards. We'll have a mix of full size, jeeps and hummers going if anyone is interested in going, let me know.

I'm hoping to get my 2" lift kit installed for next week but I'll have to see if I get time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

jonathan posted:

Haha so cute. In Alberta we don't quit, we just bring out bigger equipment and throw money at the problem and then wonder why a simple operation runs up costs of 20,000 per hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Big K of Justice posted:

Snow chains work awesome in the mud. I have a set of military HMMWV Pewegs with the diamond pattern and it's a whole different situation with good snow chains on it . I found the diamond chain pattern works best for offroading since you have chains that cover your direction of travel and side to side/lateral motion.

Lots of guys in the redneck offroad club Im in run huge bald all terrains with chains, poor mans bogger they call em. It works surprisingly well.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

EightBit posted:

4lo will just spin your tires harder. It's for grippy, slow, and steep climbs/heavy loads. The trick with mud isn't how much torque you get to your wheels, it is getting torque to all of your wheels (and not being so heavy that you just sink). 4lo is a trap in sand and mud.

Unfortunately some vehicles still have some sort of traction control enabled until you switch into 4lo. I know it works that way with my Jeep at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

The scenery in this is beautiful! Interesting how the trail goes from dusty/dirt to loose rock and back again.

It's easily my default choice in "I wanna hit the dirt" because it's close as hell to home - you still have cell service for much of the run! It's also short enough in distance and not so technical that I worry about breaking anything in a way that would leave me unable to limp the Jeep out to any of the gates, so I don't mind hitting that one by myself instead of in a group with more trucks. Absolute worst case scenario if you break down in the dead center of the area, you've got a 3.5mi hike back to civilization in three different directions, and you'd pick up cell service before then.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am usually throwing snow chains on for mud once a day lately on my 8x6 tractor. It's supposed to be snow and ice season but it's warm rain and mud season instead.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks! That's helpful.

It's funny, the FIRST thing people ALWAYS do when we get stuck, even when it's abundantly obvious that it's completely hopeless, is run around looking for wood to ineffectually shove under the wheels. We could roll Cheryl on her side and I bet the first person to climb out the suddenly-the-top would go dashing off looking for a rotten 2x4 or a pile of twigs. It's really weird.

You should get a set of traction mats if you can afford it or get the prof to buy them. They work great for when you are not so much stuck as just lacking traction. Plus parking on them can save you from the slow sink that traps you while not even moving.

https://www.amazon.com/Innovations-...&keywords=maxsa

jonathan posted:

Have definitely been there. Nothing like having a stuck forklift attached to a stuck truck attached to another stuck truck attached to a stuck tractor attached to another stuck tractor etc.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

The solution is to bring tire chains.
Very interesting! I might be able to convince the relevant people to spring for a set of chains.

Atticus_1354 posted:

traction mats
My GF gave me a tow truck in a box last christmas, for my truck (97 Ranger) that I haven't taken through anything at all risky, yet. I'll look into traction mats, they're probably safer to have in the back than panicky people running into the forest to drag out a log. I also have full CAA coverage - my card says "RV" on it because I spend extra for the extra distance they'll tow and I'm quite likely to use it. On the site we're not on public roads so a regular tow truck wouldn't come to us anyways. But the plant employees are always willing to come out when we call.

It probably helps that I'm usually the only man on the crew, and my coworkers are entirely young women. The plant has probably 40% female workers, but the people driving the heavy equipment are almost all men. I've had awkward morning sign-ins when four of us come in and a truck driver waiting for his paperwork makes some stupid comment. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

AAA Premium/RV is worth its price.

Had to use it when my fuel return line kept blowing off in remote Nevada. It got me a flat bed tow to Vegas, and I got patched up to get back to LA.

The basic 8 mile tow or whatever is nonsense. I mean, I can go wheeling almost anywhere in Socal and get the tow back covered by AAA [and a ride] to either my home or my normal shop. That'll pay for itself pretty quickly.