Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

at my job every conference room is owned by a department and assigned to the admin of that apt - this leads to you booking a room and getting a decline plus form email from the admin. there is no structure across the company for how these rooms are booked and each admin comes up with their own process so depending on what room you try to get you may just have a short im convo or you may be logging into lotus notes to submit a form to a database or even doing a transaction or two in sap. its really cool and good because every dept has way less rooms then they need so you get tribal warfare over rooms and hidden conference rooms.

my mind was blown when i went into finance and was introduced to the "cave" a conf room that looks like a group of cubes but the walls have been removed from the inside so people can meet. then after befriending the us controller i learned that the cave had a hidden cave that was actually a full conference room marked as a mother's room hidden in the back of the cave. also another group successfully lobbied to move the company convenience store to the cafeteria so they could turn it into a meeting room but they kept the keys with their admin so nobody could steal it. my dept (it, what a shocker) consolidated our data center and ops room into one room so the old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it

so yeah people get weird about conference rooms and meeting titles

oh forgot one other thing, all our official conf rooms have those little touchscreens where you can book the room but one day global changed the corp directory backend without consulting the vendor so now for four months they just say "error: unreachable host" and flash between red and green

i don't really pay too much attention to any of this as i am currently consumed in the coffee room wars

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
nope its how we get into the data center, i have to angle it downward because whoever installed it was like 6'4"

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

its sort of like living in the 1000s of little kingdoms germany was before they became germany

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

nope its how we get into the data center, i have to angle it downward because whoever installed it was like 6'4"

Mad Wack posted:

its sort of like living in the 1000s of little kingdoms germany was before they became germany

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

this is the model we have except we also have a keypad below it too because german data privacy law requires it due to the employee and patient data inside

not an actual work pic because gently caress giving away where i work

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

at my job every conference room is owned by a department and assigned to the admin of that apt - this leads to you booking a room and getting a decline plus form email from the admin. there is no structure across the company for how these rooms are booked and each admin comes up with their own process so depending on what room you try to get you may just have a short im convo or you may be logging into lotus notes to submit a form to a database or even doing a transaction or two in sap. its really cool and good because every dept has way less rooms then they need so you get tribal warfare over rooms and hidden conference rooms.

my mind was blown when i went into finance and was introduced to the "cave" a conf room that looks like a group of cubes but the walls have been removed from the inside so people can meet. then after befriending the us controller i learned that the cave had a hidden cave that was actually a full conference room marked as a mother's room hidden in the back of the cave. also another group successfully lobbied to move the company convenience store to the cafeteria so they could turn it into a meeting room but they kept the keys with their admin so nobody could steal it. my dept (it, what a shocker) consolidated our data center and ops room into one room so the old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it

oh forgot one other thing, all our official conf rooms have those little touchscreens where you can book the room but one day global changed the corp directory backend without consulting the vendor so now for four months they just say "error: unreachable host" and flash between red and green

i don't really pay too much attention to any of this as i am currently consumed in the coffee room wars

how the hell does this thread keep delivering like this holy poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
wow

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mad Wack posted:

ok we need to hear about the coffee room wars now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i half thought your post was a joke, god drat

at my first job out of college my team had enough budget/clout to build our own little walled fortress on the floor, so we had one room with 6 cubes and a connected conference room we had exclusive control over, needed a badge to get inside

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Mad Wack posted:

loving lol, this thread just keeps on delivering :gettin:

We have a similar problem at my university, limited space with everyone trying to snag the good conference rooms in advance. The universities solution was to institute an online booking system, but to hide all information about availability. So when you want to book a room you have to randomly input a room and date with no knowledge of whats free or where, until computer randomly says yes. This obviously leads to a massive amount of time wasted in trying to book a room and in totally inappropriate rooms being scheduled for almost every meeting.

Worse than that is that the system is completely blind to who is doing the booking, why and where. Which has lead to lots of student societies gaming the system at the start of the year and booking out lots of the best rooms for their weekly amine and pizza evening while real adults actually need a boardroom have to trudge down to flooded basement room 5671. To even try and overule the system you need to be at least a head of department or better, its loving ridiculous. I've been to several book launches this year that were held in the shitest, tiny rooms which were overflowing with people because the organisers couldn't book a better room all while knowing that the plush 'impress people' rooms were practically unused at best and often completely empty.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mad Wack posted:

a truly top notch username/post combo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
how the gently caress do you people stay in these insane places

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
mega lol @ the finance department that uses a gutted cubicle conference shanty

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

he old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it
lol wanna work there

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
amazing stories, this thread is great

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the title alone is enough to make this a high-value thread

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

i half thought your post was a joke, god drat

at my first job out of college my team had enough budget/clout to build our own little walled fortress on the floor, so we had one room with 6 cubes and a connected conference room we had exclusive control over, needed a badge to get inside

my team has its own room that we fought hard for and its decked with full whiteboards/tp/lots of chairs and, crucially, carded access. since no team can have an exclussive room without being forced to make it a public utility for meetings, we have to share it with other groups that need a tp. of course they cant card in so they have to wait until we notice them gathering

for a while we didnt even sit near the room :getin:

ahmeni posted:

how the gently caress do you people stay in these insane places

look man i cant rely on yospos for all my lols

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol jump to the 15 minutes mark

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/601/master-of-her-domain-name

that defated "oh my god"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

duTrieux. posted:

i'm really hoping that the retinal scanner thing isn't an embellishment because it's one of those details that would be rejected from a script for being just too loving much

Like in Silicon Valley when people got mad about how they had so many white extras in the background for the techcrunch disrupt episode when they actually shot footage from the real thing

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Like in Silicon Valley when people got mad about how they had so many white extras in the background for the techcrunch disrupt episode when they actually shot footage from the real thing

lol

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

maniacdevnull posted:

the first thing that sprang to mind for me was that story about the googlex ceo getting lovely with silicon valley's writers because the googlex analogue wasnt "serious" enough, in a meeting that he wore rollerblades to

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

the first thing that sprang to mind for me was that story about the googlex ceo getting lovely with silicon valley's writers because the googlex analogue wasnt "serious" enough, in a meeting that he wore rollerblades to

I got off a call earlier this week that my manager was also on and in the same room as me and I lamented to him about how I had to cut my workout short to help these dopes figure out SSO

lol, the gravitas of that didn't hit me until today. I guess I work at an ok place all things considered.

e: the call was terrible and the important person on the other end cut out about 1/5 the time.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

in a meeting that he stormed out of while wearing rollerblades

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

ahmeni posted:

in a meeting that he attempted to storm out of while wearing rollerblades, discovering that it's quite hard to storm anywhere in rollerblades

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ahmeni posted:

in a meeting that he stormed out of while wearing rollerblades

Yeah that too, i forgot about that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

its really the best show

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
PM: "So let's go over the list of issues here, item 1 is that we still need the stakeholders to come up with the name that we're going to build the site around. Raj, we tasked with that one, any updates?"

Raj: "I'm sorry, I missed the question?"

PM :<repeats>

Raj: "Ah, I think that was one for Christine as she handles the relationship."

PM: "Ok. Christine?"

Christine: "I'm sorry, was that for me? Can you repeat the question?"

PM: <repeats>

Christine: "Oh I think they were working with Melissa on that..."

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

vodkat posted:

Which has lead to lots of student societies gaming the system at the start of the year and booking out lots of the best rooms for their weekly amine and pizza evening

lol @ letting students have access to room scheduling

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mad Wack posted:

solid contender for the single post goldmine

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
still waiting on a coffee room wars update tbh

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Iridium posted:

PM: "So let's go over the list of issues here, item 1 is that we still need the stakeholders to come up with the name that we're going to build the site around. Raj, we tasked with that one, any updates?"

Raj: "I'm sorry, I missed the question?"

PM :<repeats>

Raj: "Ah, I think that was one for Christine as she handles the relationship."

PM: "Ok. Christine?"

Christine: "I'm sorry, was that for me? Can you repeat the question?"

PM: <repeats>

Christine: "Oh I think they were working with Melissa on that..."

PM: I swear to god if I have to repeat the question one more time I'm pulling funding from the entire project and you're all loving fired

- me, if I was PM

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Migishu posted:

PM: I swear to god if I have to repeat the question one more time I'm pulling funding from the entire project and you're all loving fired

- me, if I was PM

while i was about to cough up some details about good old Roy here, it occurred to me I didn't even share his crowning moment.

every meeting he rolls up, calls into the conference bridge, and clicks the skype links in his own meeting invite to open the screen sharing.

for unclear reasons today the link just wouldn't click. Outlook wouldn't activate it. he kept on trying, getting increasingly frustrated at it. i tried to walk him through basic concepts like "right click, copy URL, and try throwing it in a browser", but this was too aggravatingly niggly for him to do.

after a while he gave up and spent the rest of the meeting openly salty about this, bitching about it at least once every ten minutes.

Roy is a contractor who's been with us since like february. he's here because the previous PM, who was pretty good as PMs go, left the company. she was a contractor too but had been offered a full time position. she liked the company, lived two miles away, she said it'd be awesome. she declined explicitly because she refused to keep working with my boss. a very similar secnario happened with another contractor at the same time: she had a 15 minute commute and the office is right near her kid's school, perfect for pickups. she declined for the same reason.

those two had in turn replaced previous contractors who... well whatever, there's a trend here.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shaggar posted:

its really the best show

Uh, actually. It's tied with Insecure and Atlanta
:goonsay:

e: im the goonsay, just to be clear.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 14, 2016

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
atlanta loving owns and they can't cough up more of them fast enough.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
coffee room wars is the new vaporware

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
dumpster keurig

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ahmeni posted:

dumpster keurig

the supply lines run thin, some break room filters have been replaced with single ply from the bathrooms tripled over for minimum filtration

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i decided to sit in front of the screen today and block both the remote participants from the room and the room from the screen share. i felt pretty good with that actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

i decided to sit in front of the screen today and block both the remote participants from the room and the room from the screen share. i felt pretty good with that actually

you screen share via a video conference camera pointed at a projector screen? :stonk:

• Locked thread