Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

nimby posted:

None of the above: The Great Minds didn't kill them. Something lurks beneath the bedrock that only tolerates free casters did.

I like this idea because it ties into the hints that there's a greater threat beyond Charlie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Parson is a player. Fate might still have a DMPC.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/211
I think you too mellow, Kahuna.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm still not clear on what things a ruler can sense vs. what they have to use a thinkamancer for, but "one of your capital sites is under attack" really seems like it should be something a ruler knows.

Unless she just means an attack is imminent, I guess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stanley's signamancy is changing, and not in a good way.

Is this 'getting old and lazy' gray, or 'slowly being poisoned to death' gray?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Who do you think could have stolen the Arkenpliers?

The only candidate I can think of is the toy soldier that Charlescomm recently acquired. We know he can enter portals, so maybe Charlie upgraded / equipped him in some way for the task? Stealing the 'pliers without a fight shouldn't have triggered the truce contract.

But narratively, it would be totally out of the blue (heh). It would make far more sense for Faq to be behind this, but I have no idea how they could pull it off. Can't think of any asset they have that could enable an infiltration.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Didn't one of the Decrypted Archons take the Arkenpliers back during the struggle in the Magic Kingdom?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

XkyRauh posted:

Didn't one of the Decrypted Archons take the Arkenpliers back during the struggle in the Magic Kingdom?

Bonnie did, yes.

NihilCredo posted:

Who do you think could have stolen the Arkenpliers?

Sizemore, perhaps. Janis asked him to do something that would conflict with his duty: http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/207

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It was almost certainly Sizemore.

Janis got him to do something that would be against his Duty, but would ultimately be for the good. The main thing we know Janis currently wants is for Marie to be Decrypted. For Marie to be Decrypted, Marie's corpse, Wanda, and the Arkenpliers have to be together in the same hex before Marie decays. Janis is about to cast a spell that will set Wanda free and leave her ready to do the Decryption.

Thus, Sizemore has stolen the Arkenpliers and taken them to the Magic Kingdom to give to Wanda.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Sizemore, perhaps. Janis asked him to do something that would conflict with his duty: http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/207

:doh: forgot about that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

NihilCredo posted:

:doh: forgot about that.

Why does that conflict with his duty, though? It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to reunite Wanda with the Arkenpliers as soon as she's repatriated. There might be some argument about keeping them safe, but it seems like it would be easier and safer to just present that as a necessary facet of the jailbreak.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Why does that conflict with his duty, though? It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to reunite Wanda with the Arkenpliers as soon as she's repatriated. There might be some argument about keeping them safe, but it seems like it would be easier and safer to just present that as a necessary facet of the jailbreak.

Best guess: Janis suspected, and the Predictamancers may have confirmed, that Stanley wouldn't want the Arkenpliers going into the Magic Kingdom where they might get lost, given that he doesn't have a reason to care about Marie except in terms of "risk superweapon to maybe get a Predictamancer."

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'm still not clear on what things a ruler can sense vs. what they have to use a thinkamancer for, but "one of your capital sites is under attack" really seems like it should be something a ruler knows.

Unless she just means an attack is imminent, I guess.

I suspect being mellowed out of your mind messes with your ruler senses.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Stealing the one thing that made your side a superpower might also be frowned upon. You can get more casters but there's only one set of pliers.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Also, if the point here is just to decrypt Marie, I don't see why he'd have to steal the Arkenpliers for that--they could have just taken Marie's body when they free Wanda and decrypt her on the other side of the portal.

Janis already told Sizemore she wanted Marie decrypted. Between that conversation and her asking Sizemore to do something that violates his duty, she received some Predictamancy we haven't seen yet. So whatever exactly is happening depends on information we're not yet privy to.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think she knows all hell is about to break loose in the Kingdom and she wants to get Marie and Wanda out of there asap

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Here's a disturbing line of thought: Janis is interested in completely ending war on Erfworld. Parson has wargamed some scenarios and is of the opinion that war is a necessity mostly because of the rules of upkeep; Even tiny bubble kingdoms like original Faq were unable to live longterm without bringing in outside sources of income. Except for decrypted, who are functionally alive, but have no upkeep. In theory, one side, of all decrypted, would have upkeep costs so minimal as to be self-sustaining, and if they occupied every hex, no new sides would pop to oppose them. If you were interested in giving The Perfect Warlord a path to decrypting everyone in the world, you'd first need to keep Wanda safe, of course, but you could always reunite her with her pliers after you got her out.

Maybe Wanda needs the Pliers to escape ...or maybe Janis is planning another mass decrypting. There would be an awful lot of casters of every persuasion at the trial...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat. I mean, there's already precedent for Hippiemancers who are very much not nice people. That makes way too much sense.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Maybe they found a roundabout way to decrypt Wanda. Let the trial finish, she gets executed, then quietly uncroaked and she decrypts herself with the pliers or something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What happens to Decrypted when their caster is croaked?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

isndl posted:

What happens to Decrypted when their caster is croaked?

Nobody knows, the Decrypted didn't exist until Wanda attuned to the pliers.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm going to venture a guess that Sizemore is also involved in whatever is invading Gobwin Knob. Bringing invaders to your side's city probably counts as something against Duty after all.

To what end, though, I dunno.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Reene posted:

I'm going to venture a guess that Sizemore is also involved in whatever is invading Gobwin Knob. Bringing invaders to your side's city probably counts as something against Duty after all.

To what end, though, I dunno.

Or... it's Jillian, Or was she three turns out from GK?

EDIT: There we go. On the other hand, we now know that she knows about Guns.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 16, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is referencing a text-only plot development from over seven years ago which has barely ever been brought up since, which I only remember because of the terrible pun.

Also technically that means these guys aren't human.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Zogundar posted:

I like this idea because it ties into the hints that there's a greater threat beyond Charlie.

What hints? What threat? Do you mean the Titans or Fate?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

White Coke posted:

What hints? What threat? Do you mean the Titans or Fate?

The hints I'm thinking of in particular are Charlie's line about "the only enemy worth fighting" (Which could refer to fate/Fate in the abstract, or something more tangible) and Parson saying that he wasn't so sure that Charlie was the endgame.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Where did FAQ get guns from? Obvious answer is Charlie, but did we ever get a hint of it before?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Where did FAQ get guns from? Obvious answer is Charlie, but did we ever get a hint of it before?

Well there's your answer.

Of course, the new page is a much bigger mystery. It doesn't seem plausible that all is as it seems, I can't think of a way for Stanley and all his leadership to escape undetected. And Jed definitely isn't getting razed next turn. For that matter, Jillian should certainly have become aware of Jed the moment she took the city.

So either there's some massive illusion at work and Jillian hasn't taken the city at all, or Jed is somehow hiding itself and all its occupants from even Jillian's ruler senses (she seems to be sitting in the old throne room?), and something else will prevent Jillian from razing the city.

EDIT: Oh wait I'm dumb. Stanley and company are all at Spacerock, not Gobwin Knob. Never mind.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 19, 2016

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
So is this what Janis had Sizemore do? Let the city fall without much of a fight?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Llab posted:

So is this what Janis had Sizemore do? Let the city fall without much of a fight?

No, he stole the Pliers

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Llab posted:

GK's units not engaging Jillian is the result of one of the clauses of Charlies contract. Specifically, they can't injure of destroy Jillian even in self defence. How Parson allowed that one to pass by him I don't know. Though the be honest I'm not entirely clear on what "full default" mentionned in that particular clause means, I don't think it's referenced anywhere else in that agreement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aw man every time I almost forget why I love Jillian. :allears:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Aw man every time I almost forget why I love Jillian. :allears:

Counterpoint: she is by far the least interesting character in the comic and the best part of book 3 for me so far was when it looked like she might die. Every page wasted on Jillian is one less following mai husbando Caesar.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Are they juggling Order of the Stick's balls? "Bottom line, it's just not that hard to fly through a mountain pass, even a mountain pass full of giants." Meanwhile Order of the Stick has been trying to fly through a mountain pass for the past eight weeks.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

scuba school sucks posted:

Are they juggling Order of the Stick's balls? "Bottom line, it's just not that hard to fly through a mountain pass, even a mountain pass full of giants." Meanwhile Order of the Stick has been trying to fly through a mountain pass for the past eight weeks.

I had figured that was another baseball reference I was missing, but wow.

That would probably be a better joke if this guy had any room to criticize someone on either update frequency or the amount of comics dedicated to characters going places.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Erfworld's update schedule has been pretty solid under the new team, although I still have no idea how they plan to make this work in print.

Anyway, it seems like a fairly good-natured joke, so I don't think it has to justify itself that hard. (Although it would be pretty funny if OotS finds a way to fit in a "how much time do you need to walk through a door" joke when they get to the last gate.)

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Considering Erfworld used to be hosted on Giant in the Playground I assume it was good-natured. Albeit a bit rich, yes, considering how touch-and-go they've been in the past about updates.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Aumanor posted:

GK's units not engaging Jillian is the result of one of the clauses of Charlies contract. Specifically, they can't injure of destroy Jillian even in self defence. How Parson allowed that one to pass by him I don't know. Though the be honest I'm not entirely clear on what "full default" mentionned in that particular clause means, I don't think it's referenced anywhere else in that agreement.

Ah, thanks. I had forgotten that contract from... welp it's been a while. Are there anymore potential little traps and snags that haven't triggered yet? I've forgotten all of it in the two years since, and it wasn't exactly fun to read the first time through.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the main potential snag is the default of a city of Charlie's choice if GK spills the details of the contract to anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well that update is loving horrifying.