Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Could you clone one computer's OS to another with different components?

I want to clone my desktop (i5 3570k) to a laptop that will use the i7 6700HQ (so different chipset), windows 10. If so, I'm assuming the first step is to uninstall all drivers before doing the clone?

You will probably be ok if you just clone it as-is, Windows should be able to boot up and then handle replacing the drivers as necessary. If you want to try removing drivers first anyway, I'd advise you clone your existing working install to the new drive you'll be using, temporarily remove the mian drive int he desktop and place in the drive for the laptop, and then boot from that.

Then, only remove drivers while on that disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm kind of in a panic.

I've been using a 1920x1080 Polaroid TV as my monitor since my last one crapped out, and it's worked fine. I've been using the thick olde monitor cables up until now because we didn't have a spare HDMI, which worked for me. Tonight I shut down the PC, went out, and when I came back was greeted to a ig black screen with UNSUPPORTED" on it. I tried safe mode, lowering the resolution and restarting, same thing. So I went and took the HDMI cable we use for our PS3 and it (sort of) worked, except the picture doesn't fit the screen anymore and everything looks like overly sharpened rear end. Tried plugging them both in, and the PC now thinks I have two monitors.. but when I switch to the VGA one suddenly everything is fine again.. only I can now move my mouse off the screen because it thinks I have another monitor beside it.

I'm seriously at a loss here, guys. I plan to get a new monitor soon, but is there any way I can fix this so I can either go back to using my VGA cables, or somehow fix the picture with HDMI?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Verranicus posted:

So I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm kind of in a panic.

I've been using a 1920x1080 Polaroid TV as my monitor since my last one crapped out, and it's worked fine. I've been using the thick olde monitor cables up until now because we didn't have a spare HDMI, which worked for me. Tonight I shut down the PC, went out, and when I came back was greeted to a ig black screen with UNSUPPORTED" on it. I tried safe mode, lowering the resolution and restarting, same thing. So I went and took the HDMI cable we use for our PS3 and it (sort of) worked, except the picture doesn't fit the screen anymore and everything looks like overly sharpened rear end. Tried plugging them both in, and the PC now thinks I have two monitors.. but when I switch to the VGA one suddenly everything is fine again.. only I can now move my mouse off the screen because it thinks I have another monitor beside it.

I'm seriously at a loss here, guys. I plan to get a new monitor soon, but is there any way I can fix this so I can either go back to using my VGA cables, or somehow fix the picture with HDMI?

Honestly it's hard to say exactly what that could be, but unsupported sounds like the TV thought it was getting an input that was a resolution and/or refresh rate that wasn't one it could handle. It may just be a bad VGA cable which isn't uncommon. The HDMI output not quite fitting the screen is usually fixed with overscan settings in your video drivers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rexxed posted:

Honestly it's hard to say exactly what that could be, but unsupported sounds like the TV thought it was getting an input that was a resolution and/or refresh rate that wasn't one it could handle. It may just be a bad VGA cable which isn't uncommon. The HDMI output not quite fitting the screen is usually fixed with overscan settings in your video drivers.

Problem is even if you resize it parts of the screen remain cut off, and it looks "off".. like overly sharp despite messing with the settings.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

fishmech posted:

You will probably be ok if you just clone it as-is, Windows should be able to boot up and then handle replacing the drivers as necessary. If you want to try removing drivers first anyway, I'd advise you clone your existing working install to the new drive you'll be using, temporarily remove the mian drive int he desktop and place in the drive for the laptop, and then boot from that.

Then, only remove drivers while on that disk.

Hmm I don't think I can do that as my desktop drive is a 2.5" SATA SSD and the laptop will be an NVME PCIE SSD. Do you think if i just straight up clone (without removing all networking / various motherboard drivers) that Windows will still be able to boot, and I'll be able to uninstall the necessary drivers on the laptop?

Because of hte different chipsets and networking driver, that was the only reason I thought I'd have to just remove all drivers to begin with. Obviously graphics drivers need to be removed regardless, but in my specific case, I'll be going from AMD to NVIDIA so may as well remove those drivers before imaging the OS drive.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'd say it'll be beneficial for you to have experience of a fresh install. You can download the official Microsoft install disk from the Microsoft Media Creation site.

If there's stuff on the old OS that is really important not to be deleted then it should be backed up somewhere.

I've had problems getting game audio streaming from my desktop running Windows 10 and yesterday I reinstalled Windows. It took maybe 20 minutes. It took much longer to download and reinstall the game I was having trouble with (about an hour).

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Problem is even if you resize it parts of the screen remain cut off, and it looks "off".. like overly sharp despite messing with the settings.

I had the latter problem when using hdmi for my monitors - assuming you're on Windows I would take a look here:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

I think it's just some default setting that needs to be changed in the video card's control panel app.

ColTim fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 6, 2016

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

apropos man posted:

I'd say it'll be beneficial for you to have experience of a fresh install. You can download the official Microsoft install disk from the Microsoft Media Creation site.

If there's stuff on the old OS that is really important not to be deleted then it should be backed up somewhere.

I've had problems getting game audio streaming from my desktop running Windows 10 and yesterday I reinstalled Windows. It took maybe 20 minutes. It took much longer to download and reinstall the game I was having trouble with (about an hour).

Well to be honest with you I've installed fresh windows plenty of times, this is not out of being daunted by the task.

Rather, the last time I did a fresh install of windows, which wasn't too long ago (w10) I ended up really missing all my cookies. The worst part about it was probably being locked out of Facebook which I use for work (it detected me logging in from a new device). They required me to identify photographs of friends (of which my job requires me to have shitloads that I don't actually know) and I just couldn't do it until I guessed one combination right after trying for the eighty first time.

"Which friend does this picture belong to: [Picture of new baby pram]." x 5

So I was really hoping to just keep all my cookies so I wouldn't have to go through that freaking process as I replace my desktop with a laptop.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 6, 2016

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Hmm. Maybe go to your browser of choice extension page and look for a cookie/session saver app? Then do a wipe install of Windows, install browser and cookie app, reinstate cookies then get rid of the app? I don't know if such extensions/apps exist. Just ideas off the top of my head.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

So I was really hoping to just keep all my cookies so I wouldn't have to go through that freaking process as I replace my desktop with a laptop.

That will be easier to take care by just copying your browser settings to the new install. For example for Firefox copy the directory "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla" to the new computer. When you start Firefox everything will be just as it was on the old computer. I think Chrome will be in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data" and IE has its cookies probably somewhere in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData".

Oh, and for Facebook, look for setting up two factor authentication, probably with your phone number. That should be more reliable method of proving your identity.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 6, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hmm I don't think I can do that as my desktop drive is a 2.5" SATA SSD and the laptop will be an NVME PCIE SSD. Do you think if i just straight up clone (without removing all networking / various motherboard drivers) that Windows will still be able to boot, and I'll be able to uninstall the necessary drivers on the laptop?

Because of hte different chipsets and networking driver, that was the only reason I thought I'd have to just remove all drivers to begin with. Obviously graphics drivers need to be removed regardless, but in my specific case, I'll be going from AMD to NVIDIA so may as well remove those drivers before imaging the OS drive.

With modern chipsets, Windows will often boot fine even with the old drivers still in place, although you may need to try safe mode the first time. You'll end up rebooting a few times while it removes and replaces things of course.

Well to be honest with you I've installed fresh windows plenty of times, this is not out of being daunted by the task.

Rather, the last time I did a fresh install of windows, which wasn't too long ago (w10) I ended up really missing all my cookies. The worst part about it was probably being locked out of Facebook which I use for work (it detected me logging in from a new device). They required me to identify photographs of friends (of which my job requires me to have shitloads that I don't actually know) and I just couldn't do it until I guessed one combination right after trying for the eighty first time.

"Which friend does this picture belong to: [Picture of new baby pram]." x 5

What browser do you use? For Chrome you can use this to copy your profile and thus your cookies: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/export-chrome-profile-79321.html and for Firefox you can use this http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the right place for this but the conversation in the GPU Megathread seemed heated enough without me dropping in something not specifically about GPUs.

Shadowplay.

Is there still a shadowplay ability in the newest version of the GeForce experience? I loved that ability to save footage from a 10-15 minute buffer but can't seem to figure it out on the newest version of the software and don't want to waste massive amounts of drive space by just randomly recording all activity.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moved my PC into a new case and I've got a hard drive that shows up in BIOS but is not seen in drive or device management. Previously worked fine, connected via SATA port as a secondary drive with OS drive running Win10 Pro. Any ideas?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LCL-Dead posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this but the conversation in the GPU Megathread seemed heated enough without me dropping in something not specifically about GPUs.

Shadowplay.

Is there still a shadowplay ability in the newest version of the GeForce experience? I loved that ability to save footage from a 10-15 minute buffer but can't seem to figure it out on the newest version of the software and don't want to waste massive amounts of drive space by just randomly recording all activity.
It's called Geforce Experience Share now.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I've got it on the computer. When I attempted to update from the previous version I had it crashed the installer so I deleted everything and reinstalled fresh.

My problem is that I can't seem to find a setting that governs the Shadowplay functionality of the previous version. Perhaps I haven't dug enough but the only things I've seen are "screenshot" , "record" and "broadcast" and Broadcast doesn't even work. It attempts to, even updated the game properly on my Twitch dashboard, but cancels itself after a few seconds.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you see Instant Replay mode?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a problem where cheap hotel TVs often don't show up as an audio output (and don't let you use an RCA input either). They show up as "disconnected" outputs in the Windows audio playback control panel. I've tried outputting through both my main NVIDIA GPU as well as the onboard iGPU.

I assume they have a hosed-up EDID or something that tells the GPU they're not audio capable?

So far I've had no luck on finding a way to force this to work. Does anyone have any ideas on how to force it, or how to do another workaround? I have no problem with spending a bit on cables/adapters/etc if it means I can use hotel TVs properly. I would like to have digital video output if humanly possible (i.e. not an RCA video adapter), or at least an HD signal if I have to put up with analog.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I've got Riverbed Steelheads in every single one of my offices, but I just found out that the models we're using are going to be EoL next year. Does anyone have any WAN optimizer appliances that they like better than the Riverbed? I've heard some nice things about Silver Peak, but Riverbed has been the defacto standard for about as long as I can remember.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is running a NAS made out of computer parts preferable or not preferable compared to a one-piece solution like a QNAP? I have the drives already.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

signalnoise posted:

Is running a NAS made out of computer parts preferable or not preferable compared to a one-piece solution like a QNAP? I have the drives already.

Something like the QNAP devices will tend to cost a bit more, use less power, but be less flexible to change.

Something you build out of your own parts, especially ones you already have, will tend to cost less, usually use more power, but will be very flexible in upgrading to other things as time goes on.

So, decide whether price, power usage, or flexibility is a most important factor for your situation.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

fishmech posted:

Something like the QNAP devices will tend to cost a bit more, use less power, but be less flexible to change.

Something you build out of your own parts, especially ones you already have, will tend to cost less, usually use more power, but will be very flexible in upgrading to other things as time goes on.

So, decide whether price, power usage, or flexibility is a most important factor for your situation.

Sage advice, and I would also do a quick self-assessment before you decide how you want to do this. Ask yourself "Am I a tinkerer? Am I strong with messing around for hours learning how to configure stuff? Do I have the time to learn stuff?".

If the above elicit mostly "yes", then it could be more worthwhile running home made server with a load of drives in it. You could still use an old PC and boot something like FreeNAS on it for minimal fuss, though. If you want tinkering and the ability to do lots of varied stuff from one box, however, then a PC with a RAID setup and a Linux distro might be a better choice. Or even minus the RAID and Windows Server or BSD on it. When you go home made you start getting more options available.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am looking for some sort of plate I can put between my desk and a monitor stand. My desk is made of very soft wood and the stand is damaging it from the concentrated force, I need to spread it out. I am looking for some sort of metal plate/shim I can put between it and the desk -- sort of like a giant washer.

My google skills are utterly failing me. Anyone have better luck? Bonus points if I can pick it up at Home Depot.

edit: Did a little more searching. Something like this or this would be perfect if it didn't have the holes; or this if it was shorter.

edit2: This type of monitor stand:

Chuu fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 14, 2016

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Maybe if you used two plates and a G-clamp this would widen your options. Then there's less consideration about

a) affixing it to the desk
b) what sort of material you need, as a double plate setup would be stronger

It might be uglier this way. Depending on the clamp you might need to cover it up somehow. Just a thought.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chuu posted:

I am looking for some sort of plate I can put between my desk and a monitor stand. My desk is made of very soft wood and the stand is damaging it from the concentrated force, I need to spread it out. I am looking for some sort of metal plate/shim I can put between it and the desk -- sort of like a giant washer.

My google skills are utterly failing me. Anyone have better luck? Bonus points if I can pick it up at Home Depot.

edit: Did a little more searching. Something like this or this would be perfect if it didn't have the holes; or this if it was shorter.

You could just get a bigass mousepad

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Maybe if you used two plates and a G-clamp this would widen your options. Then there's less consideration about

a) affixing it to the desk
b) what sort of material you need, as a double plate setup would be stronger

It might be uglier this way. Depending on the clamp you might need to cover it up somehow. Just a thought.

The plan was 2 plates, one above and one below, and not having them affixed -- the pressure of the clamp from the monitor mount should be enough to keep it in place.

To be clear, I'm talking about a monitor stand like this:

Chuu fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 14, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just use a couple of coasters

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

That's a pretty small clamp compared to the rest of the apparatus. Was it cheap?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

That's a pretty small clamp compared to the rest of the apparatus. Was it cheap?

That's not my exact model, but I suspect it's the same manufacturer. It's from monoprice. It does its job well, just needs more support.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'd use a piece of wood top and bottom. rather than those pieces of metal.

If your clamping it tight the metal may bend and will still deform your desk, where wood will not bend as much.

As the clamps are very close together, you have a lot of overhanging weight across such a small cross section.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any advice for how to reset the connectors in a headphone audio jack? I accidentally snagged myself on my headphones the other day and now one of the connectors within the jack is stuck in the open position, so when I plug in my headset the audio manager doesn't recognize it. I'm running my headphones through my mic jack while I try to think of a solution to get the connector to go back to its proper position.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I have a model ESR904 4 port serial serve, set up on my network. Outside of letting the software do a network scan and looking at the connection log are there any other ways to the the devices ip address?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

joebuddah posted:

I have a model ESR904 4 port serial serve, set up on my network. Outside of letting the software do a network scan and looking at the connection log are there any other ways to the the devices ip address?

If you're using DHCP you could set a static address on your DHCP server.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
wow thanks I totally forgot about doing that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm planning on running 3 monitors through displayport 1.2, through a KVM. Here's my equipment:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZR18VPS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015J8QWR2

Of my 3 monitors, 2 have a functioning HDMI port and one does not. Is there a theoretical reason I cannot go mDP->KVM->dp2hdmi->HDMI to DVI cable->Monitor? This is the best option I can think of to switch between the 2 computers I'm dealing with.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Quick dumb question, can I forgo case fans if the gpu and cpu are hybrid coolers? I have a 160mm intake at the front of the case, vents along one side. I'm wondering if I can use the 120mm rear fan slot for the gpu and the 2x120mm slot on top for a bigger cpu cooler.

Fwiw I'm in Australia, ambient temps are heading towards 40 C and my air conditioning sucks.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knobb Manwich posted:

Quick dumb question, can I forgo case fans if the gpu and cpu are hybrid coolers? I have a 160mm intake at the front of the case, vents along one side. I'm wondering if I can use the 120mm rear fan slot for the gpu and the 2x120mm slot on top for a bigger cpu cooler.

Fwiw I'm in Australia, ambient temps are heading towards 40 C and my air conditioning sucks.

Case fans help with air flow around components that need it. The VRM on the motherboard need cooling, as well as any hard drives in the case.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If they're hybrid coolers, I assume you mean that there are radiators with case fans mounted on them where the case fans alone normally would be? That seems fine to me, if you have 3x120mm exhaust and 1x160mm intake. They're still going to ensure proper airflow throughout the case; it might not be quite as much as unobstructed case fans but 4 is a good number.

If you mean that they're not contributing to case airflow somehow then yeah, you need to do something to keep airflow on the motherboard and DIMMs and HDDs if any too.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Thanks folks.

Eletriarnation posted:

If they're hybrid coolers, I assume you mean that there are radiators with case fans mounted on them where the case fans alone normally would be? That seems fine to me, if you have 3x120mm exhaust and 1x160mm intake. They're still going to ensure proper airflow throughout the case; it might not be quite as much as unobstructed case fans but 4 is a good number.

Yeah, they'd be radiators with fans where case fans would be. I decided not to get a cpu one, it'd be nice but I've already got a decent air cooler, I'm just being dumb and wanting :pcgaming: water cooling:pcgaming:.

Definitely replacing the gpu fan though. Blowers are loud yo, who'd have thought.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Not sure if my problem is hardware or software-related so I'm picking this thread.

I have a sound issue on my Windows 10 PC. As soon as some 3D is showing (ie: I'm playing a game) there's a weird noise coming out from the speakers. It's hard to describe, I guess I could say it's a low-end kind of "humming" sound.

I have really good speakers (Yamaha HS-5 monitors) with XLR connectivity to an Asus Xonar Essence One DAC. I can play audio files just fine, with bit perfect and all, but as soon as the graphic card starts doing some 3D then the problem kicks in. I can still hear the games' audio, it's just that there's an extra "noise."

Where could this come from? I suspect it could be power-related, that is when the graphic card stats drawing power some electrical weirdness happens and generates white noise that's caught by the speakers or DAC or something? Is that possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Coil whine off the video card under load?

Never had it but it could be like with high powered car stereos when if you don't cross power and speaker cables at 90 degrees it inducts a whine through the speakers.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 21, 2016