Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao Labor are just realising that they are becoming irrelevant and out-of-touch with their core demographic

shame that they spend just as much energy fighting w/ the Greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cartoon posted:

Source your quotes.

Leadership spill is on in the NSW Nats following disastrous Orange by-election.

One does have to wonder about this symbolic sacrificing of the leader fad we seem to be undergoing in recent politics. Rudd-Gillard-Rudd, Abbott-Turnbull...
It now begs the question "What will the new figure head do differently?" In federal politics the only notable change was being less creepy towards women and eating fewer onions. What will a new NSW National's leader do that a shooters and fishers and farmers and dramalama's party member can't/won't? What a joke in a polity typified by clowns and muppets.

IMO who gives a poo poo if they change leader every few months, if someone is doing a poo poo job they deserve to be turfed. We're supposed to be voting for our local member to represent us, not a party to slavishly follow a leader. Rarely seems like that now though.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
you could also, idk, fix things like TAFE

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well currently the ALP believes in saving the environment sweet mining money and also loving the workers so ????

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Recoome posted:

Well currently the ALP believes in -checks notes-

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Rod Culleton aide claims James Ashby threw phone

Pauline Hanson has downplayed allegations that her adviser James Ashby threw his phone at fellow One Nation Senator Rod Culleton’s Chief of Staff, saying it was an underarm throw which has been “blown out of proportion”.

Mr Ashby is accused of having walked into Senator Culleton’s Parliament House office last Wednesday morning and arguing with his chief-of-staff Margaret Menzel over a proposed Facebook livestream.

“That is completely blown out of proportion,” Senator Hanson told the Seven Network this morning.

“He is accused of something. He was underhand throwing. It was completely blown out of proportion,” she said.

“It was an underhand throw. That is the news of the day, heaven help us, how my advisor threw his phone underhanded.

“How pathetic it is, if you want to talk about something else, but if this is more important to the nation, go ahead.”

James Ashby threw phone

Pauline Hanson’s high-profile ­adviser James Ashby has been ­accused of “losing the plot” and throwing his mobile phone at senator Rod Culleton’s chief of staff.

In another sign of One Nation’s escalating tensions just four months after the election, Mr Ashby, who Senator Hanson has jokingly described as her “adopted son”, is said to have walked into Senator Culleton’s Parliament House office last Wednesday morning and argued with his chief of staff Margaret Menzel over a proposed Facebook livestream.

Ms Menzel told The Australian she had asked Mr Ashby to set out his proposal in writing.

According to Ms Menzel, the ensuing argument became personal and repetitive, until Mr Ashby “completely lost the plot” and threw the phone in her direction.

Ms Menzel was not hit by the phone. “My reflexes are pretty good for an old chick,” she said.

The incident, which was allegedly watched by two of Senator Culleton’s other staff but not the senator himself — has been reported to parliamentary officials.

The incident came after Senator Hanson’s apparent abandonment earlier in the week of Senator Culleton, who is facing High Court action over the eligibility of his election.

Ms Menzel said she feared the phone incident was a sign that One Nation’s promise to be different from the big political parties was proving hollow.

Mr Ashby did not respond to The Australian last night.

Two days before the alleged ­incident with Ms Menzel, Mr Ashby had intervened in One ­Nation senator Malcolm Roberts’s press conference when journalists asked questions about Senator Culleton, who is said to be under pressure to quit on the grounds he is discrediting the party.

In both the Senate and on Sky News’s The Bolt Report last ­Monday, Ms Hanson said Senator Culleton should face the High Court.

He would “not be too happy” with her for saying so, Senator Hanson added.

Ms Menzel said problems within the party had been escalating for some time. Senator Culleton, Ms Menzel said, had lacked support and had been treated “abominably”.

“The greatest endorsement is that every single party decided he was a threat because he’s determined to tell the truth,” Ms Menzel said. “And if I’ve got to cop my bit of stick because of it, so be it.

“He’s not going anywhere without doing everything we can do to ensure that he sees through every promise he’s made to everybody across the nation, particularly in Western Australia.”

Ms Menzel emphasised relations were good between Senator Culleton’s office and One Nation colleagues Malcolm Roberts and Brian Burston.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...82eb5fbe1c19939

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought it would've taken at least 12 months for the cracks to start within One Nation.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Birdstrike posted:

you could also, idk, fix things like TAFE

Along these lines, look for the youth unemployment numbers to go up next year.

For anyone not aware, the government is currently replacing the Vet FEE HELP scheme.

It definitely needed a rethink due to the exploits by some extremely dodgy providers, but in true Coalition style they are loving the whole thing up.

The laws still haven't been passed and indeed there are some aspects of them that the government can't give the sector advice on yet, currently the word is to expect final details in January.

Best part, the new rules are going to be coming in inmediately, meaning students that are planning on 2017 courses (and in some cases are not applying for uni spots because this is their first preference) may well find out in the next couple of months that they actually can't afford to do a course.

Result is going to be a bunch of young people suddenly looking for work rather than being in fulltime study, and a bunch of schools will probably go bankrupt due to a collapse in student numbers.

Disclaimer: I work at a training provider, and am proud that when we were randomly audited in the sweep that uncovered a bunch of awful cheats, we came through the other end held up in the government reports as an example of a fully compliant provider. While there definitely needs to be a purge of the exploiters, these changes are going to send a wrecking ball through anywhere like us.

Disclaimer #2: Before anyone says, yes as a lefty I actually think education should be through public providers rather than private as much as possible, and would be happy if TAFEs were better resourced. I also think the idea of the Coalition increasing resources for public education is a pipedream.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 14, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lmao better not provide better regulation for education, just gently caress over those drat poors

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.afr.com/business/retail/inside-harvey-normans-losing-franchises-gerry-harveys-mystery-mr-fixer-20161107-gsjz44

Here is a good article about some interesting accounting processes at Harvey Norman.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hosed if I'm even going to so much as apply for the free 1 month trial.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Starshark posted:

hosed if I'm even going to so much as apply for the free 1 month trial.

You can grab the link, then paste it into google, click on it there and you've hacked their incredible paywall.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Cartoon posted:

I accidentally did some investigative journalism into the rural skills shortage and young job snobs. :siren: It is all a loving horrible lie. :siren: There are no jobs out there for Australians. The employers want to hire backpackers they can 'burn out' or, more chillingly, a bunch of Taiwanese who are clearly on some dodgey 'guest worker' arrangement and effectively being treated as slaves.

Do you have any of this handy because gently caress me if virtually every person I've spoken to about this doesn't immediately throw the "young job snobs" line out before completely disengaging

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Knobb Manwich posted:

You can grab the link, then paste it into google, click on it there and you've hacked their incredible paywall.

This works.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Refugee transfer is announced to be dead on arrival. Trump camp not going for it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Starshark posted:

This works.

Now imagine the same guy that made this paywall is doing security for Defense.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Knobb Manwich posted:

Didn't work on mobile

Can someone post

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

tithin posted:

Didn't work on mobile

Can someone post

quote:

Gerry Harvey badman, possibly criminal

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

http://www.smh.com.au/business/cbd/no-harvey-it-isnt-shaping-up-as-a-happy-agm-for-gerry-harvey-20161113-gsofbs.html

lol he mad

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

the financials are all there, in black and white, clear as crystal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQNl4V_R88

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

tithin posted:

Didn't work on mobile

Can someone post

It's pretty long and dry, with an annoying infographic, but the last bit summarises things:

quote:

It's not suggested that there is anything improper in the accounts. But shareholders would value more information.

The reason shareholders are told nothing about losses and obsolete stock in the franchise network is because Harvey Norman believes franchisees are independent third parties.

Accounting rules require Harvey Norman to consolidate the results of any entity that it controls. Control is measured by exposure to variable returns and the ability to affect those returns.

Yet franchisees function like commission salesmen – Harvey Norman controls how they work, where and when they work, and it picks up the tab on their losses.

Isn't that control? Auditor Katrina Zdrilic calls the decision not to consolidate the franchises "a significant accounting judgment".

Harvey Norman and Ernst & Young declined to comment on that judgment. They also wouldn't say how the fudged list of trusts appeared in the accounts.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Is this for real lol

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

aejix posted:

Do you have any of this handy because gently caress me if virtually every person I've spoken to about this doesn't immediately throw the "young job snobs" line out before completely disengaging
I effort posted it to the thread before and that's the only copy I have.

Basically I went to some of the local places that bitch about not being able to find locals and couldn't get a job with any of them. One flat out admitted they only hired backpackers because of the burn out. The very dodgiest was a huge agri business that was setting up hectares of green houses and from the atmosphere it could easily have been an illegal grow farm. Except it wasn't. ALL the people on site apart from the overseer were (I found out later) Tiawanese and if tipping fertiliser into hoppers is a skill that Australian's lack then :australia:

The dodgy nature of the enterprise is thrown into immediate highlight because ~ 100 Taiwanese and their families would stand out like dogs balls around here so these guys are all being kept on the farm property (And probably charged rent and board) to keep things on the down low. I will sign a sworn statement if it makes any difference. This is 100% first hand. Tell them the people who they have been listening to (IE Ray Hadley) are lying and any effort to check facts will immediately show this. We had a discussion about a Cessnock grape grower who complained about getting locals with the high youth unemployment. On the face of it the figures looked pretty damning/good but five minutes with a calculator revealed it was well under minimum wage once the associated costs were considered (As well as 100% seasonal).

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's no secret that they can only get people from overseas because the work is so poo poo. Like, everyone knows what goes on. They even have programs like this to encourage it.

If all those fruit growers went broke because they couldn't afford to pay real market rates people would go nuts about the government not doing enough to help our salt of the earth farmers.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 14, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...113-gsohqv.html

quote:

A petition calling for The Project to apologise to Steve Price after he was 'bullied' by Carrie Bickmore live on-air has received 17,000 signatures.

The Change.org petition says the 61-year-old radio presenter was a victim of "leftist bullying" after a heated debate with columnist Jamila Rizvi last week which ended with Bickmore telling Price to watch his tone.

"This is the reason why Donald Trump won, because people like you lecture and hector people."

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what's the matter rear end in a top hat? need a safe space? need to run to the HRC?

these people are the most pathetic loving cowards. go on and on about how the left is silencing their speech but fall apart whenever someone raises their voice. i hope they contract a fatal disease and die alone and unloved.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
:allears:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lol he makes an excellent point that a number of other commentators have made and gets shouted down by that chick for zero reason other than expressing his opinion, which is the exact thing he is talking about.

its the same thing this very thread is guilty of all the loving time.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

Lol he makes an excellent point that a number of other commentators have made and gets shouted down by that chick for zero reason other than expressing his opinion, which is the exact thing he is talking about.

its the same thing this very thread is guilty of all the loving time.

Hey look broken clock right etc

Im actually agreeing with lazer here and she went full blast mode on the guy for voicing a not unreasonable option

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

*yells over people constantly*
*gets yelled over once*

MY FREE SPEECH :qq:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Of all the people to give such a stupid victory to, why the gently caress did she give it to noted bulldog man with bad opinions Steve Price?

Particularly on a point that, as Laserface points out, a whole lot of people are making since election night. Hell, some even before the election (noted conservative hack Michael Moore, for example).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"Real America" is a loving bullshit phrase though.

E: Price made a claim that small town America was "real America", and she then attacked him on it. It wasn't an argument about why or where Trump won, it was the same divisive crap that conservatives have been pulling for ages where only people who agree with them are "real" Americans.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 14, 2016

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

I think it's more that Steve Price is being coddled by this, when he has constantly done the same thing to other panelists, over and over and over, including when he did it to Van Badham on Q&A. And yet now he's being treated with kid gloves for the exact same thing he's been guilty of time and time again. It's apparently only insufferable when it's being done to him, though?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
'Shouted down'

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

To be fair, blocking Van Badham from speaking is objectively OK.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
'I'd like to listen to broad discussion where people are allowed to express their ideas and are not shouted down'

*shifts to am dial*

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They should make everyone sit in an isolation booth and have their mics cut when it's not their turn to speak. Same goes for parliament.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

Nobody, no matter what side of politics they fall on, should have to experience the abuse and degradation of what Steve had to go through on that program," petition founder Thomas Nicholls wrote.

"What happened on The Project is unacceptable and should be condemned. Wether you are on the left, right, or somewhere in between, nobody should experience what Steve experienced."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

As a white male, nothing terrifies me more than the idea that someone might not give my voice the respect it inherently deserves. This is the ultimate in degradation and in effect an intellectual pogrom being perpetrated against me.

• Locked thread