Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Bill and Hillary Clinton pushed the same policies, but he's the one who you know, actually enacted them, and it's kind of funny/sad that he left office relatively popular and remains that way while she became the second-most hated politician in America.

He's popular because he's charismatic and likeable. He's basically responsible for turning the Democratic Party into what it is today, though. So Hillary does have him to blame. Accelerating globalization and turning his back on labor may end up being his legacy when it's all said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

yellowyams posted:

We'll be following you shortly anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it since Trump has a loving climate change denier in charge of EPA.

Are the other years' results showing clear analysis, or just herding? We think it's the latter, but I suppose we'll see on election day.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bill "The NAFTAntior" Clinton

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Venuz Patrol posted:

Are the other years' results showing clear analysis, or just herding? We think it's the latter, but I suppose we'll see on election day.

Gonna be laughing about this till I drown in the boiling oceans. Goddamn.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I can't believe Bernie Sanders just fired on Fort Sumter.

I just wanted to let you know this cracked me the gently caress up. Thank you.

Also, this is going to sound weird but I am glad everyone that that article was garbage too. Thank you for that as well.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Schizotek posted:

Turns out white people are garbage no matter their political affiliation.

Hahahaha eat poo poo idiot this exact sentiment is why you lost. All you saw was white Americans taking a single, small step in the direction of voting with just a fraction of the tribalism displayed by minority groups and which is frequently gloated about by Democrats. You did this to yourself, and you are right to be making GBS threads in your pants, because, as you're so ready to demonstrate, there is no way you will be smart enough to figure out how to stop this ratchet turning in the same direction over the next several decades.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I don't think Bill Clinton would be popular among today's left if he were trotted out for a theoretical third term.

Also gently caress Hillary for publicly reconciling with Donald Trump and helping to legitimize him.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Chomskyan posted:

Also gently caress Hillary for publicly reconciling with Donald Trump and helping to legitimize him.

He won a Presidential election with over 300 electoral college votes. You don't get much more legitimate than that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Are we seriously going to jerk ourselves off over all the great poo poo we think Trump might do if he was a different President and not Donald Trump? Who the gently caress thinks he's going to build high speed rail across the country? His infrastructure plan is "give a trillion dollars in tax breaks to construction companies so they can build toll roads". Even if he was committed to that which he's not, Congress isn't going to go for it anyway.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 14, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Hahahaha eat poo poo idiot this exact sentiment is why you lost. All you saw was white Americans taking a single, small step in the direction of voting with just a fraction of the tribalism displayed by minority groups and which is frequently gloated about by Democrats. You did this to yourself, and you are right to be making GBS threads in your pants, because, as you're so ready to demonstrate, there is no way you will be smart enough to figure out how to stop this ratchet turning in the same direction over the next several decades.

See this is a strange post because you're celebrating but what good do you imagine coming out of the scenario you describe even if it were true?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kilroy posted:

Are we seriously going to jerk ourselves off over all the great poo poo we think Trump might do if he was a different President and not Donald Trump? Who the gently caress thinks he's going to build high speed rail across the country? His infrastructure plan is "give a trillion dollars in tax breaks to construction companies so they can build toll roads". Even if he was committed to that which he's not, Congress isn't going to go for it anyway.

Calm down. No one thinks this.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Crowsbeak posted:

Their choices in life suggest they stopped being people along time ago. It suggests that perhapse the correct way to deal with this is to ensure others who may be tempted to such choices can be persuaded otherwise if enough lessons are made of some of these monsters.

Also yes all minorities arm yourselves. and remember the creatures that attack you, they are not humans in the slightest. What you do in your defense is a noble act that should be celebrated. My hope is one day we no longer have these mosnters for they will be kept in "zoos" in Alaska.

This poo poo right here is how Narrativism starts. You are walking right down the road of becoming the thing you hate. You cannot defeat hatred with violence or hatred, all you will accomplish is watching little parts of you get whittled away until only a shell remains.

Please, as bad as the situation right now is, do not go down this path. I've been down that path, you will find no tools that will help you anywhere on it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Well it's certainly more interesting than the alternative which seems to be to sit around and make wildly naive predictions about how terrible Trump's America will be or to call him and his supporters fascists, racists, misogynists, xenophobes, forever and ever.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kilroy posted:

Are we seriously going to jerk ourselves off over all the great poo poo we think Trump might do now but totally isn't going to? Who the gently caress thinks he's going to build high speed rail across the country? His infrastructure plan is "give a trillion dollars in tax breaks to construction companies so they can build toll roads". Even if he was committed to that which he's not, Congress isn't going to go for it anyway.
Let's be fair, his actual plan is to give $168 million in tax credits which will create $1 trillion worth of infrastructure but ultimately be financed by toll booths.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Prester Jane posted:

This poo poo right here is how Narrativism starts. You are walking right down the road of becoming the thing you hate. You cannot defeat hatred with violence or hatred, all you will accomplish is watching little parts of you get whittled away until only a shell remains.

Please, as bad as the situation right now is, do not go down this path. I've been down that path, you will find no tools that will help you anywhere on it.

In the face of imminent certain death why care how someone else deals with it? We are all dead within four years why not take some of them with us? They're always banging on about how they can't wait to go to heaven.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

He won a Presidential election with over 300 electoral college votes. You don't get much more legitimate than that.

Well, there's always winning the popular vote

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Glazier posted:

In the face of imminent certain death why care how someone else deals with it? We are all dead within four years why not take some of them with us? They're always banging on about how they can't wait to go to heaven.

1) No, we are not all dead within four years, not even if "we" is lesbian Muslim undocumented transwomen.

2) This is a disgusting sentiment.

If you feel the need to arm yourself for protection, that's your prerogative. If you do, please handle your firearm safely and try not to use it preemptively.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

1) No, we are not all dead within four years, not even if "we" is lesbian Muslim undocumented transwomen.

2) This is a disgusting sentiment.

If you feel the need to arm yourself for protection, that's your prerogative. If you do, please handle your firearm safely and try not to use it preemptively.

So I'm getting tone policed for dreading my upcoming extrajudicial murder. That sure makes me feel great!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mahoning posted:

Well it's certainly more interesting than the alternative which seems to be to sit around and make wildly naive predictions about how terrible Trump's America will be or to call him and his supporters fascists, racists, misogynists, xenophobes, forever and ever.

Just because the president elect is a compulsive liar doesn't mean we have to follow suit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Glazier posted:

So I'm getting tone policed for dreading my upcoming extrajudicial murder. That sure makes me feel great!

It is possible I misinterpreted. If "try to take some of them with us" was meant to refer to "utilize our second amendment rights to kill people actively attempting to kill us", I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I hoped that my last sentence was somewhat clear on my general stance, which is to say: I do not particularly intend to judge whether someone feeling threatened is valid, and arming yourself is a valid solution to feeling threatened.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Chomskyan posted:

I don't think Bill Clinton would be popular among today's left if he were trotted out for a theoretical third term.

Normalize. The word you're looking for is Normalize.

He legitimately* won the presidency, but nothing about this situation is normal. She's making a large number of people think he's not the disaster he is by refusing to call him such.

Which is all the more infuriating because what the gently caress was all that campaign bashing for if it wasn't actually true? I know she doesn't suddenly think she was wrong, so it's just naked political conciliation that insults all the people who could be damaged by this incoming administration.

It's melodramatic to say so, but, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing," didn't become a trope for no loving reason. This is tantamount to doing nothing in the eyes of many, because no matter what she may do behind the scenes to stop him, the public face is one of submission.

*as legitimate as massive voter suppression can be

e: This post was directed at the responses to your post, rather than your post directly.

post post post post :justpost:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jesus Christ, you are Americans. Buck the gently caress up. Shits bad, shits gonna get real bad soon. In fact, there is a serious possibility that poo poo is going to get literally apocalyptic. Look that devil square in the eye and don't loving blink. You make that coward feel fear, just like generations of our ancestors did.

You think we are the first group of humans to ever face dire circumstances? If there is anything at all to the idea of American exceptionalism then these will be the years to show that. The true spirit of the ideals of America lives in the heart of the left and always has. Its time to remind the world that when Americans come together in common cause really special things can happen.

This is the everything we hold dear as Americans facing our own Battle of Britain. We are badly under-equipped, outmatched, and under prepared. But you know what? That doesn't matter. We will compensate for every deficiency with pure pluck if we have to. Now is not the moment to contemplate lying down and being the defeatist pushovers that they have always accused us of being.

You are an American. In your heart beats the blood of generations of the baddest of baddasses that felt every inch of the fear you are feeling now and chose to ascend into being better people under excruciatingly unfair circumstances. That is our true heritage as Americans. It is in every one of us. We can do this.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Personally, I'm hoping for GOP infighting causing them to not get a lot of poo poo passed. Hope in one hand etc.

Also good job Trump way to bring on two great examples of lovely men: an actual wife beater and a man who cheated on his dying wife.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Prester Jane posted:

You are an American. In your heart beats the blood of generations of the baddest of baddasses that felt every inch of the fear you are feeling now and chose to ascend into being better people under excruciatingly unfair circumstances. That is our true heritage as Americans. It is in every one of us. We can do this.

this but unironically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na4GYyJwYjQ

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It is possible I misinterpreted. If "try to take some of them with us" was meant to refer to "utilize our second amendment rights to kill people actively attempting to kill us", I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I hoped that my last sentence was somewhat clear on my general stance, which is to say: I do not particularly intend to judge whether someone feeling threatened is valid, and arming yourself is a valid solution to feeling threatened.

Thanks that is what I meant, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Glazier posted:

Thanks that is what I meant, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

:glomp: It's been a rough week, I understand.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Gods alive. It's been less than a week but it feels like we're already years into this new hellscape that awaits us.

e: that's a terrible sentence, but i think you all get the gist

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Prester Jane posted:

Jesus Christ, you are Americans. Buck the gently caress up. Shits bad, shits gonna get real bad soon. In fact, there is a serious possibility that poo poo is going to get literally apocalyptic. Look that devil square in the eye and don't loving blink. You make that coward feel fear, just like generations of our ancestors did.

You think we are the first group of humans to ever face dire circumstances? If there is anything at all to the idea of American exceptionalism then these will be the years to show that. The true spirit of the ideals of America lives in the heart of the left and always has. Its time to remind the world that when Americans come together in common cause really special things can happen.

This is the everything we hold dear as Americans facing our own Battle of Britain. We are badly under-equipped, outmatched, and under prepared. But you know what? That doesn't matter. We will compensate for every deficiency with pure pluck if we have to. Now is not the moment to contemplate lying down and being the defeatist pushovers that they have always accused us of being.

Suffering doesn't actually elevate if all you're expected to do in the face of it is to suffer more because defending yourself is judged to be wrongbad ideologically which is kinda how it feels like when you tell someone who is worried about their own self defense to not do something they feel might help even if it's not particularly helpful.

Like it's a nice sentiment but a lot of people have legitimately a lot to be worried about a government whose only sliver of hope is that they spend too much time fighting among themselves to notice their targets (and the notoriously fractious internal politics of most fascist dictatorships never really saved anyone so yeah).

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 14, 2016

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Prester Jane posted:

One side has the entire US government, including the military at it's command. Remember when we used to make fun of the militia guys for thinking they could take on the US military? At least those guys had guns and occasionally went camping, we've got nothing. The Trump force is going to roll through the cities and it will be backed by law enforcement at all levels, the military and the courts. Face it, minorities of all kinds are not going to be Americans much longer we will have either fled, been deported or exterminated.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Glazier posted:

One side has the entire US government, including the military at it's command. Remember when we used to make fun of the militia guys for thinking they could take on the US military? At least those guys had guns and occasionally went camping, we've got nothing. The Trump force is going to roll through the cities and it will be backed by law enforcement at all levels, the military and the courts. Face it, minorities of all kinds are not going to be Americans much longer we will have either fled, been deported or exterminated.

I think you misunderstand just how entrenched and sluggish institutions are. Trump can do terrible things but he can't change the country with a magic wand.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bip Roberts posted:

I think you misunderstand just how entrenched and sluggish institutions are. Trump can do terrible things but he can't change the country with a magic wand.

I don't know, plenty of wizards support him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Glazier posted:

Jesus Christ

He's not Pol Pot

He's a mouthpiece of a party that's mainly about corporate clientelism

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Bip Roberts posted:

No but he can, and will, deploy the national guard to "pacify" the anti-Trump demonstrations using lethal force. Then he'll make FCC licensing and regulatory approval dependent on how negative you are about him, so good luck finding out about the Trump death squads. Face it America is over for minorities. all that's left is figuring out how you want to end it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know, plenty of wizards support him.

:thurman:

This is such a good post

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Glazier posted:

No but he can, and will, deploy the national guard to "pacify" the anti-Trump demonstrations using lethal force. Then he'll make FCC licensing and regulatory approval dependent on how negative you are about him, so good luck finding out about the Trump death squads. Face it America is over for minorities. all that's left is figuring out how you want to end it.

I have a feeling he can't actually do those things without major backlash. The true believers of Trump don't actually control the machinery of government and he's going to get stabbed in the back from all sides.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Bip Roberts posted:

I have a feeling he can't actually do those things without major backlash. The true believers of Trump don't actually control the machinery of government and he's going to get stabbed in the back from all sides.

It's not a matter of not being able to do those things without major backlash -- he literally can't do them, period, and the idea that he would even want to is interpreting Trump as a very different sort of monster than the one he actually seems to be.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
For instance I wouldn't be surprised if Trump isn't seen favorably by all of the current 8 Supreme Court justices who'll have no problem striking down deeply unconstitutional things like Muslim bans.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Goons, you need to calm down. Donate, organize, link up with groups that will oppose legislation and policy changes.

There is a huge amount of grassroots resistance going on right now that gives me hope.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Glazier posted:

For now there's two months of poo poo being hosed so enjoy the show.

Organize, get together with people. When poo poo was actually horrifically bad, lgbt folks banding together kept things less bad.
Organize on the political level. Figure out who are your DNC people, if you're not unionized see about it, worst case the IWW is pretty much permanently recruiting, maybe also get in touch with local socialists (just not Chairman Bob's gang okay) as they sometimes are actually good at working street-level politics even with only one seat won in 40 years.

The transition team is going to be a massive shitshow, even if most of it is horrifying, they'll also be dealing with a congress that, last time it had all branches, still didn't manage to push everything it wanted against minorities despite the Dems being mostly spineless fucks (like seriously, only Feingold voted no on Patriot in the senate, it was that bad). Most of the people on it are monsters but they're monsters who are also currently fighting each other for influence.

For now it's all guesses as to what the next flip flop will be.

(That said yes, poo poo will be hosed even if all his SCOTUS does is reduce things to "states' rights" cause the number of states with regressive laws still on the books that were only overturned by the SCOTUS judgements like Roe, Brown, Lawrence, Obergefell, etc is actually horrifying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

For instance I wouldn't be surprised if Trump isn't seen favorably by all of the current 8 Supreme Court justices who'll have no problem striking down deeply unconstitutional things like Muslim bans.

Well Thomas might be okay with it because the Constitution doesn't specifically prohibit banning Muslims.

• Locked thread