Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I think saying a power up has a time limit and then going "oh wait, you're so powerful that you actually have even LESS time to use it!" is pretty lame. I didn't like it when they did it in the Buu arc either. We're probably never going to see Vegito ever again anyways, so whatever.

Trunks getting the kill with a Spirit Bomb Sword thing is pretty awesome though. That kid's got a really impressive kill list now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They didn't do it in the Buu saga, that only happened in GT, I think.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

CharlestheHammer posted:

They didn't do it in the Buu saga, that only happened in GT, I think.

SS3 Gotenks could only last 5 minutes instead of 30.

Sure it's a different kind of fusion, but the idea is still "the stronger you are, the less time you have" which makes it basically pointless at a certain point.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

SS3 Gotenks could only last 5 minutes instead of 30.

Sure it's a different kind of fusion, but the idea is still "the stronger you are, the less time you have" which makes it basically pointless at a certain point.

This is legit something that Beerus kinda pointed out about rising SSJ forms. The higher you push the form, the more it wears the user down. gently caress, it worked exactly the same for Kaioken. Higher forms put a strain on the user. SSB seems to be just doing SSJ with god ki, so it's not as draining, but popping a Kaioken onto it will wreck the gently caress out of the user.

Super Trunks is just so powered by justice and mortals that he has enough power to spare.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Way i see it, its not the strain of power up what limits fusion time, its the power itself. Like a ningen is a computer but a fusion is an unplugged laptop with high end specs, it may be running ssb.exe extremely smoothly but the high performance mode being used will drain the battery in minutes.

I love the time limit if only because Vegitto is off the table as an option to beat Beerus. If Goku and Vegeta wanna beat him they need to actually work together.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Speak for yourselves, I want to see Toriyama's cat have outrageous reactions to everything Dragon Ball.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The youtube comments are good if you imagine they're all Zamasu on godtube.

"Lousy writers won't even let me say "ningen" on tv because it offends SJW's (saiya-jin warriors)"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

WHY WAS THE GUY THAT THIS ARC INFLUENCED MORE THAN ANY OTHER CHARACTER THE ONE TO FINISH OFF THE VILLAIN? WHY?!?!?!

I know intentionally misunderstanding things is a rule for being a youtube reviewer but christ, this is story telling in its most basic form.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
They should have done a throwaway gag of Black finding a new group of humans hiding out in the mountains defended by Eighter, then slinking home with a big Eighter fist sized bruise on the side of his face.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ryaomon posted:

"Lousy writers won't even let me say "ningen" on tv because it offends SJW's (saiya-jin warriors)"

things like this and the "ningenstomper58" line really make me laugh

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ryaomon posted:

I need a wordfilter program for this, holy poo poo.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

tbp posted:

Vegeta is def stronger than goku at the moment I reckon

Vegeta and Trunks together firing off Galick Guns barely stopped a death ball, and Zamasu wasn't damaged by it when they finally beat it back. Goku beat one on his own and doing so revealed Zamasu's weakness. Goku comes off the stronger to me.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

tsob posted:

Vegeta and Trunks together firing off Galick Guns barely stopped a death ball, and Zamasu wasn't damaged by it when they finally beat it back. Goku beat one on his own and doing so revealed Zamasu's weakness. Goku comes off the stronger to me.

The double galick gun must have weakened him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Vegeta completely overpowered Black Goku because he had trained in the hyperbolic time chamber, something Goku did not do and he's established as weaker than Vegeta at this moment, even if they are both weaker than Zanmasux2.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Bulma is the strongest because she puts the boys in their place by simply yelling at them:

I felt great satisfaction hearing this guy whine about Dragon Ball Super. Thank you for that.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 14, 2016

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The only thing disappointing about Vegito showing up is that they didn't change his outfit. This arc has been great and DB Super is also great.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Vegito being able to de-fuse with the Dragon Balls is a hilarious kick to the nuts to that Multiverse plot point.
Vegeta literally has to be talked into fusing every time it's brought up. And every time it's brought up, it's usually because everyone will loving die if they don't. That's how much they don't like it.
Vegeta would sooner Bingo dance again than Fusion dance wouldn't he?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
I realize arguing Dragon Ball On The Internet. Just sayin':

ImpAtom posted:

Vegeto got defused the first time he showed up. Vegeto being permanently fused was never, ever, ever a risk. They have Majin Buu back home and the Dragonballs which have already canonically been shown to defuse people fused by the earrings. If it was a 'coold thing from the canon' that was ruined then it was ruined back literally when it first appeared when he was defused by magic gas inside Majin Buu.

The exact reason they wouldn't do the Fusion Dance every arc: Because they don't like fusing and it is a literal stated explicit plot point that they don't want to rely on fusing and other people instead of their own power.

The fusion was still clearly permanent, asterisk- barring the summoning of Shenron which is kind of a big deal, or Majin Buu who is dead. So the only way to dissolve it now, is Dragon Balls. Any situation that can only be fixed by Dragon Balls is by definition a big deal.

But now the fusion is non-permanent, and it's alllwwaaays the end of the world. Imagine if the non-permanent fusion had been an option during the Beerus arc, when Beerus slaps Bulma and Vegeta can't beat him- gently caress it, fuse and obliterate that motherfucker. Why didn't the kais tell them about this etc etc. There's a valid reason to say that Vegito was more special before now and that's been stepped on.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Goku and Vegeta tried, they failed. Trunks did it by his own drat self and saved the day.

Toriyama is the one who's all transformations give you bazillions of times the power, and now he's showing SSJ2 pulling even with an enemy that endured SSJ Blue Kaioken and Blue Vegito? Even if you want to say oh but genkidama, Goku had to do the super spirit bomb against Kid Buu that included "Earth, Other World, New Namek and the rest of the surviving planets of the sector" ... so Kid Buu was stronger than Zamas2? I know Toriyama is going to mumble in an interview that Zamas2 was losing power when he got all gooey or whatever, but come on.

If you're going to allow non-permanent fusion and say they have to use a fusion or else it ruins Trunks moment then you might as well go full retard- the finisher should have been Trunks and Vegeta fusing, and creating a sword made out of the bond between a father and son.

Vegetrunks, clearly the answer.

(edit: Trunks' SSJ transformation clearly warrants its own discussion thanks to his weird new powerup but edited to say it's SSJ2)

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 14, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

Majin Buu who is dead.

He is crashing on Mr. Satan's couch.

revdrkevind posted:

when Beerus slaps Bulma and Vegeta can't beat him- gently caress it, fuse and obliterate that motherfucker.

There is absolutely no indication that pre-god Vegeto would have had any significant success against Beerus? You can make arguments about SSB Vegeto but that is why the time limit is a good thing. It means Goku and Vegeta's solution to the "how to beat Beerus" issue isn't just a fusion.

revdrkevind posted:

Any situation that can only be fixed by Dragon Balls is by definition a big deal.

This hasn't really been true since Dende took over and they have access to his easy-mode Dragonballs. Collecting them and getting a wish is literally a thing the Dragonball cast does for fun now, remember?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 14, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's not like Goku would understand what you're doing.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Raxivace posted:

It's not like Goku would understand what you're doing.

Goku Black knows what they're doing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I would say using the Dragonballs to undo something pretty much makes them a non-issue going forward. They invalidated death decades ago, so they might as well do the same with fusion.

Also Trunks was definitely using god power. In fact, they showed him to be stronger than both Goku and Vegeta when that first transformation was shown, since he took on both Black and Zamasu when they had to leave.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I can;t believe I'm saying this about a Dragon Ball anime, but I really think the pacing of this episode was too fast. I think it would have really benefited both the Vegetto scene and Trunks the Hero of Hope scene by expanding them to at least 1.5 episodes instead of squeezing all into 1 here.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Trunks getting his god ki from the people is a really cool detail. I still hold that the rage of SSJ2 overpowers the godly aura and thus that's why his hair is yellow. but he's using god ki all the way through

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
For how important Super Saiyan transformations and their difference in power level are shown to be to the plot, the writers sure do a poor job of keeping them consistent or explaining anything about them. Like what's even the point of Goku and Vegeta doing a complicated ritual and training with Whis to reach Super Saiyan Blue, if someone can reach sort of the same level by just being SSJ2 and getting REALLY mad? Where does that leave SSJ3 then? What the hell is even up with Super Saiyan God (red haired form)? Or Rose for that matter?

'I don't even understand what my own powers do anymore lol' is pretty cool, but part of the fun of Dragonball Z was the Saiyans discovering the broken undelying mechanics of their powers and exploiting the hell out of them. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

This is a minor complaint, though: that episode was perfect and a great conclusion to F.Trunks' arc. Super is in fact cool and good, and afaic succeeds at the very demanding job of being a 'real' Dragonball sequel.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spidder posted:

For how important Super Saiyan transformations and their difference in power level are shown to be to the plot, the writers sure do a poor job of keeping them consistent. Like what's even the point of Goku and Vegeta doing a complicated ritual and training with Whis to reach Super Saiyan Blue, if someone can reach sort of the same level by just being SSJ2 and getting REALLY mad? Where does that leave SSJ3 then? What the hell is even up with Super Saiyan God (red haired form)? Or Rose for that matter?

'I don't even understand what my own powers do anymore lol' is pretty cool, but part of the fun of Dragonball Z was the Saiyans discovering the broken undelying mechanics of their powers and exploiting the hell out of them. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

This is a minor complaint, though: that episode was perfect. Super is in fact cool and good, and afaic succeeds at the very demanding job of being a 'real' Dragonball sequel.

The idea behind Super Saiyan God does not appear to be that it allows you to obtain an unobtainable level of power but that it allows you to access God Ki which is a significant power boost with little to nothing in the way of downsides. The overall theme of Dragonball Super is "even mortals can challenge gods" and every arc has been about that. Rather than it putting Goku and Vegeta on a new level it merely puts them on a different power track which gives them new options.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spidder posted:

For how important Super Saiyan transformations and their difference in power level are shown to be to the plot, the writers sure do a poor job of keeping them consistent. Like what's even the point of Goku and Vegeta doing a complicated ritual and training with Whis to reach Super Saiyan Blue, if someone can reach sort of the same level by just being SSJ2 and getting REALLY mad? Where does that leave SSJ3 then? What the hell is even up with Super Saiyan God (red haired form)? Or Rose for that matter?

This is a minor complaint, though: that episode was perfect. Super is in fact cool and good, and afaic succeeds at the very demanding job of being a 'real' Dragonball sequel.

At this point the smartest thing to say would be that SSJ God, the form Goku took in the movie, is more powerful than drat near anything else we've seen- especially Blooper Saiyan, which is why Goku was so close to Beerus in power there, but supposedly not now.

It's just a limited time only thing that can only be achieved by ritual

Otherwise everything is just up for grabs. SSJ2 is, in fact, the perfect transformation, the Ascended state, that everyone ignored because Goku found SSJ3 and thought it was the hot poo poo and hosed up royal. Trunks, never learning about SSJ3 and knowing better from his Ultra Saiyan bullshit, stuck with SSJ2 like his dad should have and achieved the full breadth of its power.

Meanwhile SSJ4 is now the technique used by time traveling villains because it is from the worst timeline

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Super Saiyan 2 was useful in a single fight against Cell and then became such a non-issue that everyone had it. Super Saiyan 3 never won a single fight, and the finale was beaten by base level Vegeta and Super Saiyan Goku. Goku was God level, but then dropped to normal Super Saiyan when fighting Beerus and still was able to hurt him. These transformations have never been particularly consistent.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The new episode was super loving awesome. I wish they didn't chop Vegito's balls off, but I guess he couldn't reign supreme forever.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

ImpAtom posted:

He is crashing on Mr. Satan's couch.

There is absolutely no indication that pre-god Vegeto would have had any significant success against Beerus? You can make arguments about SSB Vegeto but that is why the time limit is a good thing. It means Goku and Vegeta's solution to the "how to beat Beerus" issue isn't just a fusion.

This hasn't really been true since Dende took over and they have access to his easy-mode Dragonballs. Collecting them and getting a wish is literally a thing the Dragonball cast does for fun now, remember?

Fat Buu isn't quite the same as Kid Buu which Vegeta even notes when discussing picking Buu for the tournament bla bla. The Buu we have now is retarded so they probably wouldn't risk it. The point is Beerus was blowing up Earth so why wouldn't they use whatever means available (if the fusion was non-permanent especially- and on the assumption that people whine when fusion doesn't get used when it could be). And making the Dragonballs too easy is its own plot issue since they could just wish any problem away, but if we're allowing the dragonballs to be a plot element at all, then if they were the only way to separate a fusion that would still be a big deal in show logic. Like three episodes later they go oh yeah dragonballs durp. And that's as serious as a plot ever gets in Dragonball.

Unless we're allowing that even death doesn't matter at all anymore, in which case the entire series doesn't make a bit of difference(tm). You have to make some allowance for plot for the series to work at all.

Burkion posted:

At this point the smartest thing to say would be that SSJ God, the form Goku took in the movie, is more powerful than drat near anything else we've seen- especially Blooper Saiyan, which is why Goku was so close to Beerus in power there, but supposedly not now.

It's just a limited time only thing that can only be achieved by ritual

Otherwise everything is just up for grabs. SSJ2 is, in fact, the perfect transformation, the Ascended state, that everyone ignored because Goku found SSJ3 and thought it was the hot poo poo and hosed up royal. Trunks, never learning about SSJ3 and knowing better from his Ultra Saiyan bullshit, stuck with SSJ2 like his dad should have and achieved the full breadth of its power.

Meanwhile SSJ4 is now the technique used by time traveling villains because it is from the worst timeline

Or this. But it does kind of dump all over Toriyama's love of transformation powerups. SSJ3 had a very specific set of drawbacks that made its non-use kind of make sense plotwise, you could see how the characters would remain in 2 rather than risk using up all their energy too fast. But having 2 beat Blue? Oh come on.

Unless Toriyama comes out in an interview at some point and just flat-out admits he got tired of transformation powerups so he finally just decided Trunks only has one powerup and it's the best, and that's how it always should have been. I'm pretty okay with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

The point is Beerus was blowing up Earth so why wouldn't they use whatever means available

Because that is not and has never been how Goku and Vegeta work? Vegeta had to be talking into fusing in this episode where they were literally fighting a killer mutating god beast who was moments away from wiping out all of them. Goku even admits after doing the God ritual that he's unhappy and unsatisfied with the outcome.

Also like, Goku literally says that fusing with Vegeta wouldn't be enough to defeat Beerus in BotG so I'm not sure why this is even a debated thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

revdrkevind posted:

Unless we're allowing that even death doesn't matter at all anymore, in which case the entire series doesn't make a bit of difference(tm). You have to make some allowance for plot for the series to work at all.

Krillin is completely unmoved by Trunks' death against Cell and tells Vegeta he's an idiot for getting mad because they can just revive him with the Dragon Balls.

Piccolo tells Super Buu to go kill all of humanity to buy time for Gotenks because they can undo that with the Dragon Balls.

Death has not mattered for a long while now, short of entire planet obliteration like Freeza caused...and even that just got undone by Whis.

quote:

Or this. But it does kind of dump all over Toriyama's love of transformation powerups. SSJ3 had a very specific set of drawbacks that made its non-use kind of make sense plotwise, you could see how the characters would remain in 2 rather than risk using up all their energy too fast. But having 2 beat Blue? Oh come on.

Unless Toriyama comes out in an interview at some point and just flat-out admits he got tired of transformation powerups so he finally just decided Trunks only has one powerup and it's the best, and that's how it always should have been. I'm pretty okay with that.

What the gently caress are you on about? Trunks' Super Saiyan 2 is, at its best, equal to Goku's own Super Saiyan 2 while Goku was holding back. We saw this. The form Trunks uses against Black and Zamasu is very, VERY clearly not Super Saiyan 2, it doesn't even look similar. Much more golden hair, entirely different hairstyle, completely unique aura, buffing up (and then slimming back down)...if that looks like Super Saiyan 2 to you, I don't know what to tell you. It's a yet-unnamed new form, apparently unique to Trunks and equal to Super Saiyan Blue, like a non-Godly version of it.

A Super Saiyan Ningen Super Saiyan (SSNSS for short, translated as SSMSS or SSHSS in the unofficial subtitles)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Apparently the current name for the form is just "Super Trunks"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh my god shut the gently caress up about power levels already

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently the current name for the form is just "Super Trunks"

That seems to just be from a summary of an episode though. "Super X" is used for a lot of things in Dragon Ball, and usually doesn't stick (or sticks far more than the more logical choices, does anyone remember that the buff Super Saiyans are called Second and Third Grade and not Super Vegeta and Super Trunks? Because games sure don't). I'd wait until Heroes or Xenoverse 2 add Super Trunks to see if that's the actual name of the form, although I guess it is the best we have right now, which is confusing since, again, Super Trunks is usually used for Super Saiyan Third Grade Trunks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, I was under the assumption that SSB was stronger than Super saiyan god all this time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

That seems to just be from a summary of an episode though. "Super X" is used for a lot of things in Dragon Ball, and usually doesn't stick (or sticks far more than the more logical choices, does anyone remember that the buff Super Saiyans are called Second and Third Grade and not Super Vegeta and Super Trunks? Because games sure don't). I'd wait until Heroes or Xenoverse 2 add Super Trunks to see if that's the actual name of the form, although I guess it is the best we have right now, which is confusing since, again, Super Trunks is usually used for Super Saiyan Third Grade Trunks.

To be fair if you believe Xenoverse then Future Gohan also had his own unique Super Saiyan Form

Tae posted:

Wait, I was under the assumption that SSB was stronger than Super saiyan god all this time.

It is. The reason it's called Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is because it's what happens when you go Super Saiyan in God form.

Beerus was explicitly training Goku in both BoG and Super, not fighting SSG Goku at full power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Whenever people start talking about power levels, I just think of this clip from Adbridged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9g-0d7BK0

• Locked thread