Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

Of course you can:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Off with their breads!

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Off with their breads!

wait, i voted Robespierre

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Look, let's cut to the chase, is this poo poo p2w or what?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
can i dual wield guillotines

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Camel Camus posted:

Hey dev I bet you won't get to my question in a while from dealing with all the guillotine questions but when you have a moment I have a couple of questions about the design philosophy:

First, this is a game about "France" but as you rightly said all of the characters are from Japan. How do you preserve the national style of revolutionary France with Japanese characters? Secondly all the screen shots are in English. Not sure if this is a mistake-surely they will be alternately in French and Japanese (kanji), right? Is that part of the polish that you mentioned the game is lacking?

Finally I have a question about game content so ignore it if you don't want to give away spoilers, but can you live in Benjamin Franklin's house? Maybe through in-game purchase or DLC if you haven't done it yet, just a thought!

Thank you for the questions.
The characters are not Japanese, but French. Only the art is in Japanese anime style.
As for the screenshots, we are going to run this campaign in three languages - English, French and Japanese, therefore every post, picture or video we make that has writing in it, is done in those three languages.
This forum is in English, so I posted the Character designs and the teaser video in English, but we have the same ones in French and Japanese as well.

Regarding Benjamin Franklin, that is not a bad idea at all! We are looking to have many different settings for the game, each with a different atmosphere etc', and having Benjamin Franklin's house would be a great idea. ^^

Birthday Oral posted:

I'm going to non-sarcastically ask if there's generic character creation because I like that in tactics rpgs.

We haven't planned on implementing that in to the game, but we are still very early in the game development, so you never know, we might!

How Rude posted:

Despite goons dumping on you constantly you keep trucking on.

Godspeed random JRPG developers.

Thank you.
It's all about percentage! 80% of people here are just screwing around, but the other 20% are genuinely interested in the game! And that is good enough ^^

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The cast seems pretty sparse for a tactical RPG. You only have two playable characters listed. Are you really sure you don't want to add in Andre The Giant, if only to fill out the roster better?

As of now, there are 9 playable characters. But that may change.

Couple of problems with this one too!

First, his gun is far too skinny. Firearms of the time were much thicker for a large number of reasons. The most important being bore diameter, that is the width of the barrel which is determined by the width of the bullet. Bullets and the guns firing them were much fatter back then due to the use of blackpowder, which burns much less efficiently than modern smokeless gunpowder. This results in lower velocity which results in less damage. In order to give guns enough stopping power to kill a man in one shot (since reloading took a while) they had to shoot very big bullets.

The term "rifler" is not accurate as most guns in France in 1789 would have been smooth-bore. They had no rifling and as such were not rifles. But muskets. Now rifles did exist but they were significantly less common due to the spherical projectiles they shot not benefiting very much from being shot from rifled barrels as well as machining techniques were much less developed in the 18th century so making a rifled barrel was prohibitively expensive.

Finally his description says that he's both good with swords and with guns. While such a dual proficiency is not uncommon in real life, for a JRPG having a character use two very different types of weapons doesn't really make much sense. In Chrono Trigger for instance, Lucca could only equip guns and Marle could only use bows. Sure there are exceptions to this rule, but with the other party member being a dedicated swordsman, it seems to me that it would make more sense for Leandre to focus on guns and have her focus on swords. Instead of having one guy use swords and another get to also use guns.

I hope you and the rest you are dev team take these into consideration.

We based Lendre's rifle on this one, which is called "fusil de chasse hessois"

We made it a bit thinner/smaller, as we thought it looks cooler and fits his character better.

In Thermidor, each character has his own specialty weapon. In Leandre's case it is a rifle. But he is also proficient with a sword, but not as proficient as Armandine who is an expert fencer.

Palpek posted:

Also frying pans like the one on the right haven't been invented until late XIXth century when cooking stoves became popular.

Seriously what's even the point of setting your game in a particular historical year if you're going to basically piss all over the time period, have dozens of glaring mistakes in every single character (every second piece of clothing on your characters is wrong) but then be all smug about not having guillotines because they weren't invented until a year later.

You're already ignorant about everything else, you obviously don't have resources to actually research the subject properly and your artists don't give a poo poo about history and just draw whatever they feel like looks old enough but ooooh boy let us tell gamers how hardcore we are about guillotine history :smuggo:.

Either be actually historically accurate or admit you're putting things into your game that look cool but may be taken from later time periods in which case you should put guillotines into your game.

We put in things into our game that look cool, but may be (unintentionally) taken from later time periods.
There will be no guillotines in the game, because chopping off people's heads is pretty gory, and we don't really want that in Thermidor.

I do apologize, but from now on, any person that mentions guillotines or perverted stuff will be put into the ignore list, and therefore won't have any of their future comments/questions replied by us.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
the scarlet pimpernel would make a great boss/party member and instead of :siren:SEVERE TRIGGER WARNING:siren: guillotines you could use medieval style 'stocks' and there could be a minigame where you have to swipe rotten vegetables out of the air. just an idea 【ツ】

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hyperdevbox posted:

There will be no guillotines in the game, because chopping off people's heads is pretty gory, and we don't really want that in Thermidor.

But shooting people with futuristic rifles isn't?!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

hyperdevbox posted:

We based Lendre's rifle on this one, which is called "fusil de chasse hessois"

That picture is of a Chassepot. Which was adopted by the French military in 1866. I'll give you that it's a blackpowder gun but it's still much more modern than what would have been available to someone in 1789. Like in 1789 a bolt action rifle with metallic cartridges would have been straight up futuristic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My immersion is ruined. Thanks assholes.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

That picture is of a Chassepot. Which was adopted by the French military in 1866. I'll give you that it's a blackpowder gun but it's still much more modern than what would have been available to someone in 1789. Like in 1789 a bolt action rifle with metallic cartridges would have been straight up futuristic.

If we're using stuff that's almost a century off then we might as well really charge into it. Stuff like revolvers would really spruce up this game if we're not gonna have guillotines.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Can we see some game art featuring the alcoholic dog? He's a character I feel like I'm really going to connect with.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What type of fencing are we talking here? Oldschool cut-and-thrust rapier, smallsword thrust-only stuff, or the perennial military sabre? Armandine has very skinny legs for someone who's supposed to be an expert fencer and similarly, she should really be wearing baggier breeches otherwise she'll have a hard time moving and fighting properly.

Also how are you handing damage in combat? Typically all the weapons discussed so far (including guillotines) would kill or incapacitate in a single hit.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Why should anyone care about teen anime frenchie with a future gun? Like, what's the sales pitch?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why should anyone care about teen anime frenchie with a future gun? Like, what's the sales pitch?

It was the possibility of playing a teen anime frenchie with a future gun that shoots guillotines.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

hyperdevbox posted:

I do apologize, but from now on, any person that mentions guillotines or perverted stuff will be put into the ignore list, and therefore won't have any of their future comments/questions replied by us.

Come on, that seems a bit harsh, punishing people just because they care about guillotines.. This thread is actually somewhat of a honeypot. I mean, the subtitle of the game is even "The Most Realistic Guillotine Simulator", why did you make that the title if there are not even guillotines in this game?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

hyperdevbox posted:

Heads will roll because of this decision.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, I just really like fencing, and realistic depictions of women in fiction. Plus given that this is a real-world rather than a fantasy setting (right?) I genuinely want to know if there is any concession made to this in terms of the combat system, or whether you're going with the tried and true "get shot in the face and run through six times but don't give no fucks because I still have 53HP left". I know realism has probably got to be given the chop in favour of the game actually being fun to play, but, hey, if you have any interesting spins on JRPG combat then inquiring minds want to know.
On a related note, will you buck centuries of JRPG tradition and have guns that are more damaging than swords?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If you want to make a historic game, get your facts straight. Otherwise it's just a lazy and cynical treatment of history as a candy store of "cool stuff", that can be mixed and matched because no one gives a poo poo anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How much history would I learn playing this compared to say Mario's Time Machine, or Mario is Missing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

pixaal posted:

How much history would I learn playing this compared to say Mario's Time Machine, or Mario is Missing.

That's a real good idea, you could put in little snippets of history like this interesting one:

But just convert the whole thing to look anime.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

mike12345 posted:

If you want to make a historic game, get your facts straight. Otherwise it's just a lazy and cynical treatment of history as a candy store of "cool stuff", that can be mixed and matched because no one gives a poo poo anyway.

huh? you seem to be implying that any work of historical fiction that doesn't get all the details right is worthless. I think that creating a meaningful story that is also relevant to the setting is much more important than getting the "facts straight". Neither of which this game will do but still...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gobblecoque posted:

If we're using stuff that's almost a century off then we might as well really charge into it. Stuff like revolvers would really spruce up this game if we're not gonna have guillotines.
Hell, if they're already a century off they might as well give those French revolutionaries something even cooler like laser guns and laser chariots. Imagine a chariot that instead of horses has two huge hovering engines with a laser current connecting them and the revolutionaries would race them on a desert planet and maybe chop off a few heads with the laser currents while they're at it. Then there would be a zoom in on a kid's face and he would say something like "sacrebleu, now this is podracing".

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
cyberpunk french revolution would totally be my poo poo

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

How accurate will the guillotine simulation be? I'll only buy the most accurate simulation out there. I need real world blade, cutting, blood and gravity physics. I want to feel like I'm really cutting the anime's head off with my anime guillotine.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, as this thread title includes the word that the op has decided is no go, will the op block himself? or does sa at large block the op, help me out here...
actually, I'd foreals play a French steampunk version of fft or that game that fft ripped off, (but made by the same guys.)
oh look : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQt4S0_XPtI
Also, I think Katana's existed then, and crossbows.

staberind fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 15, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm on page 7 and the image links finally work and i've decided i will purchase and play this video game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

op can you tell us the origin of hyperdevbox's name

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super No Vacancy posted:

op can you tell us the origin of hyperdevbox's name

I think it's a reference to Dragon Ball's "hyperbolic time chamber" :goku: they are an anime developer after all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Palpek posted:

Hell, if they're already a century off they might as well give those French revolutionaries something even cooler like laser guns and laser chariots. Imagine a chariot that instead of horses has two huge hovering engines with a laser current connecting them and the revolutionaries would race them on a desert planet and maybe chop off a few heads with the laser currents while they're at it. Then there would be a zoom in on a kid's face and he would say something like "sacrebleu, now this is podracing".

See now this is a game that I would play. Hope you're taking notes guillotine anime maker op guy.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Can I die of polio or some poo poo like that in this game?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:eyepop:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The thing that makes me the saddest about this thread is how many people got put on ignore. Sure, there were a few extremely sarcastic and mildly rude responses, but blanketing legitimate concerns that will impact the success of the game and the livelihoods of the people who are making it is no laughing matter.

At least the mods can't be put on ignore. Be the voice of the downtrodden, the unheard, the wretched masses of gamers yearning to breathe the free air of 18th.. or 19th, if we are going by the rifle, century France.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Is this Art?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Justin Credible posted:

At least the mods can't be put on ignore. Be the voice of the downtrodden, the unheard, the wretched masses of gamers yearning to breathe the free air of 18th.. or 19th, if we are going by the rifle, century France.

Surely you mean the huddled masses yearning to behead free?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

staberind posted:

So, as this thread title includes the word that the op has decided is no go, will the op block himself? or does sa at large block the op, help me out here...
actually, I'd foreals play a French steampunk version of fft or that game that fft ripped off, (but made by the same guys.)
oh look : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQt4S0_XPtI
Also, I think Katana's existed then, and crossbows.

lol wtf

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The thread or the game?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

The thread or the game?

The thread, we all know games can't be art.

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.
Hello to whom it may concern,

Can I be in the game?

Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Hi OP. Will Cardinal Richelieu be in this game? I realize that, of course, he had unfortunately passed away prior to the start of the French Revolution, but would it perhaps be possible to include him as a sort of phantasmic mentor figure for the protagonist, in the style of Obi-Wan Kenobi or that merchant NPC from Darksiders? Thanks for listening, we at the Something Awful Forums appreciate your commitment to open development.

• Locked thread