Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

So is the AH LCG officially A Good Game™? If so, how good? If already invested in the LOTR LCG, how far should I bump AH down my priority list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think AH is definitely good, and may be nice to get in on the ground floor.

That said, at the moment, there is very, very little variety in terms of the type of decks you can build. I built what I thought was an OK deck for Roland on my own only to find out it was almost exactly the deck that the tutorial recommends. Really, the only thing that will change how your build your deck is if you have one or two cores.

I think it'll get more interesting to go back through the core scenarios after a few more cards have been released out there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Max posted:

That said, at the moment, there is very, very little variety in terms of the type of decks you can build. I built what I thought was an OK deck for Roland on my own only to find out it was almost exactly the deck that the tutorial recommends. Really, the only thing that will change how your build your deck is if you have one or two cores.

This has been true of most of the LCGs. They really require a cycle or two to get into things.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I get that, but with GoT or even LotR, you could add some interesting variants to the core decks.

Here, because each investigator may only have one specific secondary class' cards, it severely limits what you can do. Although I know they are changing that for the expansion investigators.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
FFG just announced a Legacy type campaign for Android Netrunner of all things :psyduck:

You can only play through it once, as runner or corp, and you can't replay it as the other. Kinda lovely sounding despite being a cool premise.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/11/terminal-directive/

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner posted:

FFG just announced a Legacy type campaign for Android Netrunner of all things :psyduck:

You can only play through it once, as runner or corp, and you can't replay it as the other. Kinda lovely sounding despite being a cool premise.

If I still lived in a place with people who played Netrunner I would be all over this.

As it stands I'm still eagerly awaiting my copies of Arkham, but they haven't even shipped out yet :smith:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can't wait to play Arkham this weekend!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Local game store just got 7 copies in of arkham, going to grab 2 of the core
I liked lotr but drat me for joining so late. Didn't like feeling like i had to catch up or skip certain sets if i wanted x over y
Glad to get in on the ground floor

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

The upside is that it seems that the entire set will be compatible with the competitive game so it may be kind of limited if you buy it solely for campaign play but if you play regular Netrunner otherwise it's still ostensibly a worthwhile purchase. My guess is the idea is you and a Netrunner buddy both buy a set for your own use and it gives you two plays of the campaign, one from each perspective.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just put together a Skids deck. He seems like a way more interesting investigator to play with, since he has more avenues to sneak around, and can take an extra turn. Golden for solo play.

Daisy seems good too. I'm going to see how they work together.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Started a new run with Agnes & Roland and demolished it this time. Her spell evades plus her event evade meant I basically never took a hit from the priest plus got a free move off the event evade to the parlor to pick up Lita. Got a few free damage off her ability plus the 0 cost asset that lets you take a horror for a resource, on top of the free damage from her spell evade. Her extra card draw/scrying also helps a ton. Finished it off easily with a baseball bat and a knife. I got sorta lucky in terms of encounter draws this time around though Roland did get hosed by frozen in fear for a turn or two. Next up: Daisy & Skids for me too.

Welp, skids o toole got loving tooled by frozen in fear and ghouls. I managed to brick like every key skill check, stumbled on assets for him forever plus hit paranoia. I drew that loving tentacle token 6-8 times throughout the game which put me into agenda 3 as I popped the barrier again. Even so I got a good amount of damage on the priest, missed a 7 strength combat test on skids, died to the retaliate, landed a shriveling from Daisy, went for the second cast to win the game with 9 loving willpower off arcane studies, holy rosary & commits, drew another loving tentacle. Retaliate, enemy phase, game over.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 12, 2016

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Going to get my hand on two AH cores in about 2h. So hyped! Won't be able to play until tonight though, but it's going to be nice to finally try out the game.

Really hoping for a more casual coop experience than LOTR, because while my SO likes playing card games, she's not into deckbuilding. The experience system in this seems to limit that part of the game quite nicely, at least while the cardpool is small.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've finally caved in and bought some binders and for my LOTR cards. I assume sleeves are not necessary? Also, is it safe to store all three copies of a card in the same pocket, or will they end up sticking to each other?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

I've finally caved in and bought some binders and for my LOTR cards. I assume sleeves are not necessary? Also, is it safe to store all three copies of a card in the same pocket, or will they end up sticking to each other?

Nope, no sleeves needed. And yeah, just put the copies in the same pocket. No problem there. I store up to 6 cards (2 core sets) in the same pocket and it works just fine.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

All my FLGS in the area are sold out or didn't get it. Why, FFG, why

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The community rep at my FLGS was just checking to make sure I got mine. They apparently all sold out as well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fat Samurai posted:

Sleeves aren't necessary for storage, but I would 100% buy enough sleeves to sleeve whatever cards you're using when you're playing. Even a little bit of shuffling can mark unsleeved cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Got my copy of Arkham, ready to dig in tonight.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Selecta84 posted:

Nope, no sleeves needed. And yeah, just put the copies in the same pocket. No problem there. I store up to 6 cards (2 core sets) in the same pocket and it works just fine.

I wouldn't put six cards in the same pocket. Say you take three out to put in a deck - that pocket has been stretched out, so the remaining cards might fall out.

I'm so tempted to sleeve every card in Arkham Horror with matte clear Dragon Shields. So excited to try this Monday night.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anywhere to buy the clear FFG sleeves in bulk?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Anywhere to buy the clear FFG sleeves in bulk?

Don't. They're all cut overly tall to the point they don't fit in all card boxes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BJPaskoff posted:

I wouldn't put six cards in the same pocket. Say you take three out to put in a deck - that pocket has been stretched out, so the remaining cards might fall out.

I'm so tempted to sleeve every card in Arkham Horror with matte clear Dragon Shields. So excited to try this Monday night.

I'm doing matte dragon shields for player cards, and clear for the others. Locations are two sided, also I kinda like having a differentiated sleeve for the different card types.

Also as for availability, the store I usually go to had a bunch in (with about 8-10 I'd guess being preorders).

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 13, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

I'm doing matte dragon shields for player cards, and clear for the others. Locations are two sided, also I kinda like having a differentiated sleeve for the different card types.

Yeah that's a good idea as well. The player cards will be easier to separate when you're setting up/cleaning up the game.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, finished my first game of AH last night. I was really hyped for the game, but I was surprised by both the quality of the scenario and with the imersion when playing compared to LOTR. It felt more tight somehow, and I really like that a scenario can have many resolutions which affects the coming scenarios.

We played the recommeded Roland and Wendy starter decks, and we barely managed to win the scenario, so really looking forward to trying out both deckbuilding and the other classes once the campaign is done to see how it affects the difficulty level.

We opened the door with Roland finished for the round and Wendy with a single action left, so when the Ghost Priest came out he immediately attacked Roland, which was down to a single sanity left. In order to save him, we would have to make four successful attacks in a row and suceed in recruiting the lady ally as well. We did manage though, but man that was tense. Extra damage on combat results seem to be really important if the game is going to throw enemies with 10 HP at you :aaaaa:

Now I really just want to continue with the campaign!

Zerf fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 13, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
With Arkham Horror, is there anything I want from a second core set besides the investigator deck cards? There's no campaign that's going to say, "you can only put together this encounter deck if you have two core sets!" right? The tokens and encounter cards in a second core set might as well be shoved in a closet and forgotten about?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

With Arkham Horror, is there anything I want from a second core set besides the investigator deck cards? There's no campaign that's going to say, "you can only put together this encounter deck if you have two core sets!" right? The tokens and encounter cards in a second core set might as well be shoved in a closet and forgotten about?

Correct

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

The thing I would be most intrigued by, at the moment, would be what an investigator deck looks like with more than 10 of it's primary class cards. Right now there is pretty much only one way to build decks if you have one core. That's fine, but I wonder how effective a Roland deck with 20 guardian cards would be, vs the 10 Guardian + 10 Seeker deck that you almost HAVE to build.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I imagine it'll end up like LotR, where a mono-sphere deck works best in multiplayer where it can push it's strength, but in solo or two player games, you generally want more well rounded deck to handle a variety of threats.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

I imagine it'll end up like LotR, where a mono-sphere deck works best in multiplayer where it can push it's strength, but in solo or two player games, you generally want more well rounded deck to handle a variety of threats.

Yeah, this is the case right now. With one core you get decks that are pretty well rounded, and only certain combinations of teams are possible to avoid overlap. I'm getting a second in the mail, and am going to see how mono decks function.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I think the next release for AHLCG is another big expansion so that may help you survive with a single Core for now.

I played the first Scenario tonight solo and tried to speed through it. Big mistake, I got stomped on the last Act.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I played through the first scenario with the Roland - Wendy suggested decks and finally stomped that scenario into the dirt.

Skids is a lot of fun but he needs a partner.

Once I have two cores I want to try out Daisy and Agnes. I have a feeling that pairing will be monstrous.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It might just be because I've played some LOTR and the Warhammer card game but this was by far the smoothest learning experience I've had with FFG.

Although I haven't yet read the rules reference to discover where the learn to play book lies to you like it does in so many other FFG releases...

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Thirsty Dog posted:

It might just be because I've played some LOTR and the Warhammer card game but this was by far the smoothest learning experience I've had with FFG.

Although I haven't yet read the rules reference to discover where the learn to play book lies to you like it does in so many other FFG releases...

For me, the biggest gotcha in the rules is that your skill value or the test value can never go below zero. Makes cards that says "in case you fail by two or less" much better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zerf posted:

For me, the biggest gotcha in the rules is that your skill value or the test value can never go below zero. Makes cards that says "in case you fail by two or less" much better.

A rule that is hidden in three different pieces across the two rulebooks.

I think it's still not as big a gotcha as knowing that items can be used multiple times unless they specifically say they exhaust. Every other FFG Cthulhu game has items usable once a turn, as do most of the LCGs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

What other FFG games lie to you in the tutorial, and how?

If I remember correctly, the tutorial for Game of Thrones has you randomly determine who sets up their face down cards first, but in tournament games both players just flop down their cards simultaneously. Not so much of a lie as a shortcut though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I went to 3 different local game shops on Saturday, two days after release, and nobody had Arkham Horror :(

Why oh why didn't I preorder?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, the community manager at my place contacted me to make sure I had picked mine up. They unpacked them on Thursday and Saturday morning it was all gone.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zerf posted:

Whoa really?

I pulled the -8 token against one of those and thought I just instantly died. Made me swear off the higher difficulties.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ConfusedUs posted:

Whoa really?

I pulled the -8 token against one of those and thought I just instantly died. Made me swear off the higher difficulties.

Yeah...
Check out the Modifiers section of the Rule Book, it'll explain that. A big gotcha that a lot of us have run into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Haha, man, I've also done that. I should have known when I figured out that the red token just makes your value 0.