Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Back on CK2, I think CK2 remains my fave Paradox mapgame

Also, my new king,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Entertainment value aside, who's the best streamer/youtuber to learn how to play EU4 well?
Arumba just started a tutorial series, even though he gets a lot of complaints I find him quite good and I like how much content he puts out since I haven't been able to play Paradox games for the past several months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0W45OFsapAz

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Either Wiz is running a really long con or Victoria's Secret is a real game that actually exists and will be released eventually. It has its own twitter now: https://twitter.com/GeopolDatingSim/with_replies

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Sindai posted:

Either Wiz is running a really long con or Victoria's Secret is a real game that actually exists and will be released eventually. It has its own twitter now: https://twitter.com/GeopolDatingSim/with_replies

Anime is real 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sindai posted:

It's not real until we see non-placeholder anime art.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm reading the book Dreadnought which is all about the lead up to WW1 (with a heavy emphasis on the naval aspects) and drat if all these early chapters detailing the politics of 1850-1900 Victorian Britain and Bismarckian (later Wilhelmian) Germany aren't making me wish Victoria 3 really was a thing.

[edit] Since it does not exist, I might, instead, finally pick up EU4 during the sales coming up.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 22, 2016

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I'm torn on the V2 crisis system. On the one hand it can stop great power alliances lasting from 1836 - 1935 but on the other hand it just doesn't make any drat sense sometimes.

Yes, Prussia and Austria, releasing Poland from Russia is a totally great idea and you should be pumped about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

disjoe posted:

I'm torn on the V2 crisis system. On the one hand it can stop great power alliances lasting from 1836 - 1935 but on the other hand it just doesn't make any drat sense sometimes.

Yes, Prussia and Austria, releasing Poland from Russia is a totally great idea and you should be pumped about it.
See, if the game coded it as follows:
*Prussia AI wants to further crisis with Russia
*Prussia checks if it has any significant polish cores/populations
*Prussia says oh poo poo it does, releasing Poland from Russia is going to want our Poles to join it too! Not good!
*Prussia AI decides not to pressure release of Poland any further
It could work.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

See, if the game coded it as follows:
*Prussia AI wants to further crisis with Russia
*Prussia checks if it has any significant polish cores/populations
*Prussia says oh poo poo it does, releasing Poland from Russia is going to want our Poles to join it too! Not good!
*Prussia AI decides not to pressure release of Poland any further
It could work.

Well there is a "political considerations" (I think that's what it's called) modifier that is constant regardless of alliances/relations and seems to depend on the nature of the crisis itself, but it's too small in most circumstances to be relevant. The release of Poland should be an absolute no-go to Prussia, Austria, and Russia, at least in the early and mid game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

disjoe posted:

Well there is a "political considerations" (I think that's what it's called) modifier that is constant regardless of alliances/relations and seems to depend on the nature of the crisis itself, but it's too small in most circumstances to be relevant. The release of Poland should be an absolute no-go to Prussia, Austria, and Russia, at least in the early and mid game.

I think the system works admirably in its goal of kicking off huge wars between great powers over tiny pointless poo poo.

The AI might not be able to see the long term consequences of backing a crisis demand but honestly that seems fairly realistic to how it worked in real life, too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

EU4 has much better diplomatic AI than Vicky ever did - or at least more transparent diplo AI. If there were weighted factors for a government's will to intervene in a crisis that you could see and influence, the crisis system would be better. It's fun now for kicking off big silly wars, but it doesn't make much sense.

Actually maybe I'm misremembering and Vicky 2 did have something like this?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
EU4 diplo AI is too good, it plays way too pragmatically. Which on the one hand is good but on the other hand means you never get crazy crises happening or wars spiraling out of control like you did historically. whereas in EU4 it ends up getting pretty stagnant often.

I kinda hope they'll add an "insane" trait or something where the AI just declares incredibly irrational wars without assessing strength or anything so stuff gets shaken up sometimes. Right now it's only the league war and reformation that regularly messes up diplomacy and that's only for Europe.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the system works admirably in its goal of kicking off huge wars between great powers over tiny pointless poo poo.

The AI might not be able to see the long term consequences of backing a crisis demand but honestly that seems fairly realistic to how it worked in real life, too.

I generally agree on the first part, but I'm not sure about the second. Returning to the Poland example, The League of Three Emperors was organized ostensibly to combat Polish insurrectionism. Bismarck's foreign policy here is the perfect example of predicting and moderating the long term consequences of what would be considered crises.

In any case there's zero reason to believe Prussia/Germany, Russia, or Austria in the early to mid game would support Polish independence under any set of circumstances. Prussia supporting Polish independence bereft of any existential threat from Russia just doesn't make sense. That's not sabre-rattling, it's not short sighted, it's immediately shooting yourself in the foot for no discernible reason. Right now Prussia/Germany will support Polish independence if they're allies with the UK and the UK is the primary representative of Poland in the crisis. I can't conceive of this having any realistic historical basis.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

EU4 has much better diplomatic AI than Vicky ever did - or at least more transparent diplo AI. If there were weighted factors for a government's will to intervene in a crisis that you could see and influence, the crisis system would be better. It's fun now for kicking off big silly wars, but it doesn't make much sense.

Actually maybe I'm misremembering and Vicky 2 did have something like this?

Vicky 2 will show you the numbers behind a nation's crisis decisions. It's really only important if you're planning to bribe nations with expanded wargoals, but otherwise you can't really influence the numbers in any real way over the course of the crisis.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 22, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Koramei posted:

EU4 diplo AI is too good, it plays way too pragmatically. Which on the one hand is good but on the other hand means you never get crazy crises happening or wars spiraling out of control like you did historically. whereas in EU4 it ends up getting pretty stagnant often.

I kinda hope they'll add an "insane" trait or something where the AI just declares incredibly irrational wars without assessing strength or anything so stuff gets shaken up sometimes. Right now it's only the league war and reformation that regularly messes up diplomacy and that's only for Europe.

Well, there's the babbling buffoon trait, but that's more about breaking up with allies by insulting them.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

GeoPolDatingSim....can't decide if it's the best name ever or the cheesiest. But then we all wanted to see what children would have come out from a Victoria - Stalin marriage

SA_Avenger fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 22, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Victoria's Secret is a real thing.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's a real thing, yes. It just broke 10k lines of code, actually.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Man Musk posted:

Back on CK2, I think CK2 remains my fave Paradox mapgame

Also, my new king,

In the earlier versions there was a bug that let homosexual men be impregnated by their lovers.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

Gantolandon posted:

In the earlier versions there was a bug that let homosexual men be impregnated by their lovers.

There was also an event where men could impregnate themselves. The result was a kid who had the man as the mother and their wife as the father, except actually the man was the father too. It was good.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

tombom posted:

There was also an event where men could impregnate themselves. The result was a kid who had the man as the mother and their wife as the father, except actually the man was the father too. It was good.

what do you mean? Different bits of the UI had different mothers/fathers?

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

double nine posted:

what do you mean? Different bits of the UI had different mothers/fathers?

Children born of adultery have a hidden "real father" flag you can see if you put charinfo in the console, if the adultery is discovered their father shown on the character screen (which will be the husband of the mother) will be replaced by the actual father. Sorry it's a bit confusing to explain.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Groogy posted:

Victoria's Secret is a real thing.

Wiz posted:

It's a real thing, yes. It just broke 10k lines of code, actually.

:monocle: God help us all.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

Yeah I agree, also the AI never really overextends too far. I'd like a Conquerer trait where the AI will press every single CB it gets grubby hands on.

I never get the option to join coalitions. Even when France or someone else goes Revolutionary it's hardly a blip on the map. Everyone should be flipping their poo poo and the Revolutionary Target should be wardeccing left and right flipping states to their government type and into a vassalage state similar to the Revoke from HRE. The Revolutionary period should be similar to the end boss like Ck2's Aztecs or Mongols and Stellaris' poo poo. Instead, the name changes to "Revolutionary France" and the game stays the same.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 23, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Since it does not exist, I might, instead, finally pick up EU4 during the sales coming up.

:drat: Even with the sales the whole kibosh is still $100! I'm sure some of that can be taken off, but yowza. Hmmmm.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

YouTuber posted:

I'd like a Conquerer trait where the AI will press every single CB it gets grubby hands on.
They could just port the German HOI IV AI straight over to any nation with it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:drat: Even with the sales the whole kibosh is still $100! I'm sure some of that can be taken off, but yowza. Hmmmm.

Some $30 of that is cosmetic stuff you'll never notice, and $20 is the newest expansion that's not on sale. Just pick and choose the expansions you want. Like, El Dorado is skippable if you're not playing in the Americas, or you don't need Res Publica if you're not doing merchant Republic things.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just buy the game without DLC (or maybe just Art of war), and buy whatever DLC you think you'll be interested in on the next sale if you still want to play the game.

If you're a first time player, having all the DLC is probably worse than having none of it, as it will just be overwhelming you with options.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also, don't worry so much about it, most DLCs in EU4 just add extra buttons on the interface and some events. Play the base game, figure out what you like about it, then see which DLC adds buttons that would improve your experience.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is the Hearts of Iron 4 colonel edition worth it?

Is HOI4 in general, worth it at this point?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
IIRC it's some cosmetics, like new tank and ship models.

HOI4 is good, definitely worth it for that price.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

HOI4's always been worth it.

:colbert:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I really am failing to see how Paradox Girl ties in to any of these games at all and I have read quite a bit.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

skooma512 posted:

Is the Hearts of Iron 4 colonel edition worth it?

Is HOI4 in general, worth it at this point?

Would have to disagree with previous opinion. There are serious problems with the AI even now that makes single player a less than satisfactory experience.

Peace conferences still suck, and the air war needs a total rebuild. There is still no way to stop allies from spamming yor front lines with useless divisions that just eat up your supply capacity. This is not the time to buy this game.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MikeC posted:

Would have to disagree with previous opinion. There are serious problems with the AI even now that makes single player a less than satisfactory experience.

Peace conferences still suck, and the air war needs a total rebuild. There is still no way to stop allies from spamming yor front lines with useless divisions that just eat up your supply capacity. This is not the time to buy this game.

The main reason people seem to think peace conferences suck seems to be that the AI actually takes stuff instead of letting the player have everything, though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I haven't playing in a while but China taking all of Turkey and Poland taking all of Japan is a problem. It should be weighted towards areas near them or areas they contributed to.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I thought people's objections were more that places took stuff that was too distant from them.

It's pretty rare that I actually bother playing to the peace conference since knocking Japan out of the war is a pain in the neck.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

uPen posted:

I haven't playing in a while but China taking all of Turkey and Poland taking all of Japan is a problem. It should be weighted towards areas near them or areas they contributed to.

... leaving the player free to take absolutely everything that isn't close to an AI country.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wiz posted:

... leaving the player free to take absolutely everything that isn't close to an AI country.
Why shouldn't they be free to take poo poo their allies didn't contribute to taking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It'd be better if you placed more restrictions on who could take territory, including on the player. Right now there aren't enough releasable nations so eventually someone weird ends up in control of somewhere they should never be.