Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I have a couple very close friends who are Trump supporters who've been toeing the "Look it won't be that bad" line. Only one of them has surprised me by being overtly racist, and the others appear to have just caught email fever. I remember back when he announced they all were into because "how funny would that be" and their support grew more genuine from there. The only ones I'm really super mad at are the overtly racist one and the couple that have said "Well I didn't think he'd actually win..."

ed: I know I'm supposed to post some kind of ed but I'm not sure what kind. I am new and should be mocked. This dogge is all I can offer you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

skylined! posted:

Gonna take longer for me to forgive, as every single trumpvoter acquaintance I have and have spoken to reference the economy for their decision, and all are well off and white, expressing no sympathy for the minority's and poor people this administration is going to further devastated. gently caress them. The DNC needs to figure out how to win their vote but not me. gently caress them.

We're not all ready to start the process of investigation and debate, I'm not ready either. But I live in a poor county full of poor people, and some of them have to be more than just racists/sexists/etc.

We have to begin the long process of educating people on the idea of class struggle, and how we're all in this together.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think you'll find it was lovely because it complete ignored the democratic base in swing states and instead focused on running up the score among people who were never under any circumstances going to vote for trump

...yes, this is what I'm talking about?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cephalocidal posted:

Candidate Obama shot for the moon, then President Obama shat on our tongues. Candidate Clinton shot for the 7-11 on the corner, trying to puzzle out what her presidency would've been is a pointlessly tragic what-if.

Four years of the House trying to dust off Ken Starr for another crack at them

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beet Wagon posted:

I have a couple very close friends who are Trump supporters who've been toeing the "Look it won't be that bad" line. Only one of them has surprised me by being overtly racist, and the others appear to have just caught email fever. I remember back when he announced they all were into because "how funny would that be" and their support grew more genuine from there. The only ones I'm really super mad at are the overtly racist one and the couple that have said "Well I didn't think he'd actually win..."

"ironic" trump support is still trump support

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Venom Snake posted:

it gives me the smallest, most bitter smile that all the fucksticks that messed around with powers beyond their control are getting a literal biblical lesson in hubris.

wikileaks: sure trump has tons of dirt but nobody cares about that
*trump actually gets elected*
wikileaks: OH GOD WERE ALL GOING TO DIE

i mean its not quite fair to talk about hubris when clintons entire campaign appears to have been run on it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/797954879373221888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:psyduck: Trump hard at work undermining the legitimacy of president Donald Trump

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cephalocidal posted:

Candidate Clinton shot for the 7-11 on the corner, trying to puzzle out what her presidency would've been is a pointlessly tragic what-if.

Yeah, I remember one of those first/real early debate appearances where Hillary was basically like "don't expect much pals!" I was awed by her honesty at that moment.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

2016, wherein Putin realizes the US is too loving stupid to be manipulated to his satisfaction.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/798171614676402176
Here's a thought:
Maybe if you didn't treat Trump like a god drat also-ran the entire election, you wouldn't be in this situation, you bunch of hacks.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Serf posted:

despite being surrounded by crappy people in my rural area, I remain convinced that some portion of Trump voters chose to vote for him in spite of the horrible poo poo he said, because his core message was stronger and more resonant. sure that makes them complicit in the rise of a racist fascist, but at the same time if they don't conform to those views then there is hope that we can reach them. I'm prepared to write off the deplorables, but there have to be decent people who just legit wanted to make america great again, and put other issues aside for that. self-centered? sure, but if we can appeal to those sensibilities, we can sway them to our side

I made my fair share of economic anxiety jokes, but like all humor there is some core of truth in there

just look at the states that Trump won that went to Obama last time. there's more than racism at work here, there has to be

I think most of Trump's people know he is a clown and a horrible human being, but when the democrat becomes the candidate of choice for rich bankers, all the pussy grabbing in the world isn't going to turn them away from Trump.

Who knew painting the people of fly-over country as racist xenophobes without actively addressing their legitement concerns was a poor way to win votes?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

Yeah, I remember one of those first/real early debate appearances where Hillary was basically like "don't expect much pals!" I was awed by her honesty at that moment.

I like it when candidates are honest and sincere, but that is not a majority opinion. Most people want to be sold a lie.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Next-Gen posted:

i mean its not quite fair to talk about hubris when clintons entire campaign appears to have been run on it

this election makes cobs of us all friend

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think most of Trump's people know he is a clown and a horrible human being, but when the democrat becomes the candidate of choice for rich bankers, all the pussy grabbing in the world isn't going to turn them away from Trump.

Who knew painting the people of fly-over country as racist xenophobes without actively addressing their legitement concerns was a poor way to win votes?

the funniest part is that Bill Clinton was the only guy with the right idea apparently, but got ignored

how the hell do you ignore the advice of a 2-term president, probably the most popular one in my lifetime?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Turdfuzz posted:

AAAAARRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Typo posted:

:psyduck: Trump hard at work undermining the legitimacy of president Donald Trump

To be honest, I agree: the electoral college is dumb and a popular vote should be used to determine the candidacy. Even more so when you consider its primary purpose was for the establishment to go "lol voters, you picked wrong" and change the vote. Sure, faithless electors haven't changed the results of an election in a long, long time (if ever) and won't do so any time soon (if you get your hopes up for that, lol), but it just furthers shows how archaic and unnecessary it is. It is a clearly undemocratic system that doesn't even serve a function anymore.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/797976169765212160

I'm starting to feel slightly more optimistic about the Trump presidency if only because he is so loving incompetent he might not get anything done.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Covok posted:

To be honest, I agree: the electoral college is dumb and a popular vote should be used to determine the candidacy. Even more so when you consider its primary purpose was for the establishment to go "lol voters, you picked wrong" and change the vote. Sure, faithless electors haven't changed the results of an election in a long, long time (if ever) and won't do so any time soon (if you get your hopes up for that, lol), but it just furthers shows how archaic and unnecessary it is. It is a clearly undemocratic system that doesn't even serve a function anymore.

Half the problem with it is the house hasn't had a seat increase in nearly 100 years. It was designed to give power to the more populous states, whereas the senate was the opposite. Now, because they refuse to increase the number of districts, rural areas still have a massive amount of power in the house.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm in Hong Kong and then China for a few days for work and I just keep seeing Trump on TV screens everywhere

Airports in every language imaginable

lovely little TVs in small restaurants

Big TVs in the hotel lobbies

What's the procedure for casually implying I am from Canada again? I was too young to have to figure it out during the Bush years

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Serf posted:

the funniest part is that Bill Clinton was the only guy with the right idea apparently, but got ignored

how the hell do you ignore the advice of a 2-term president, probably the most popular one in my lifetime?

Robby Mook plugged heard Bill say "hey we should try to appeal to white working class voters". Robby Mook plugged some numbers into his iPad and said "naw man we good" then they had a circle jerk over the thoughts of blue Georgia and Arizona.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Covok posted:

It's not going to happen, but the upsides are probably greater than the downsides in this particular election. It isn't like it would catch Hillary flat-footed because she's had what's probably a full cabinet plus some on speed dial for 10 years. They might be a bunch of neoliberal hacks but they aren't secretary of education ben carson. There's plenty of unrest in high-visibility areas, flipping the vote may not get rid of all of it but you bet your rear end it would calm some of the purest rage down.

Basically there would have to be a lot of faithless electors willing to deal with the personal consequences of fines and stuff in their own states for little more benefit beyond "competence in the white house and tenuous domestic stability at best."

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

Robby Mook plugged heard Bill say "hey we should try to appeal to white working class voters". Robby Mook plugged some numbers into his iPad and said "naw man we good" then they had a circle jerk over the thoughts of blue Georgia and Arizona.

we deserved to lose just as much as America deserves Trump

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

TayIor Swift posted:

It sucks that after Hillary lost the election all of the men in cspam decided that it was time to reveal themselves as milquetoast liberal misogynists =/

i guess a lot of people handle a stinging political loss by castigating the losing side and blaming the person they just voted for for losing

in my experience it doesn't go away for a while, so in 3 years when trump's launching nukes at china there'll still be posters here saying "the impending apocalypse is hillary's fault for being too smug towards rural whites"

sometimes they also act like they're doing their side a favour by providing needed political analysis, as if there's a real premium on after-the-fact hot takes from sarcastic assholes on the internet. i think its just that they need to feel righteous about something tho?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Nastier Nate posted:

To some extent, I can't blame them for it. They wanted to show the world that white nationalism and bigotry had no place in the US after it reared its ugly head over in the UK. They wanted to bury Trump and how.

Hell, I wanted them to, too.

It was a strategic error though in the long run.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

both of those states were some of the few with a ~5 pt swing towards blue but it was stupid to assume a 10 pt swing in one cycle

mook is still an idiot

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

i mean realistically they could have done zero in those states because a lot of it is just due to demographic shifting in them

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/797976169765212160

I'm starting to feel slightly more optimistic about the Trump presidency if only because he is so loving incompetent he might not get anything done.

I mean if he just knows nothing he defers all responsibility to Pence And Friends so maybe that's not such a great thing

I think the best we can hope for is like Defiant Trump who fights with the GOP on certain issues but I'm expecting him to do some crazy stupid things

Don't ask me what but I have a feeling he's going to go on a few stupid crusades against whatever comes into his narrow field of vision

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

Is there audio of this yet? Absolutely amazing.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Serf posted:

we deserved to lose just as much as America deserves Trump

Nah. The only person deserving of anything right now is Trump. He won, and - to our national goddamn shame - he deserved it. The only one in our cursed-rear end nation that's getting what's coming to them is Trump. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ultimately I blame the media and people who voted Trump more than anything. More than Trump himself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/kelseymsutton/status/798174523585691648
It will be competing with Wonkette in terms of snark, methinks.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The more Trump is overwhelmed, the more he's probably going to just leave it all to the House Republicans and Bannon :staredog:

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't agree with the Clinton hate. I'll only get angry if she tries this poo poo again. Nothing against her, but we can't run a loser twice in Trump's America. Clinton and the neoliberals need to either get out, or shut up and support the new order, because their way failed and now we have to do it the other way.

Cephalocidal posted:

Nah. The only person deserving of anything right now is Trump. He won, and - to our national goddamn shame - he deserved it. The only one in our cursed-rear end nation that's getting what's coming to them is Trump. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

I actually regret what I posted almost instantly. There are tons of minority groups that are gonna suffer immensely under Trump and they don't deserve to get hurt because of our incompetence and blindness

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If Obama is gonna stick around, I hope he calls himself a "presidential consultant" and bills the Trump administration $3,000 an hour plus incidentals and travel expenses.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

The Nastier Nate posted:

If Obama is gonna stick around, I hope he calls himself a "presidential consultant" and bills the Trump administration $3,000 an hour plus incidentals and travel expenses.

if this happens I have no idea how the conspiracy right is gonna take it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
you're high as poo poo if you don't foresee Trump deferring all the tough decisions to his racist, evil staff while he tries to vacation as much as humanely possible. I hope all the drab meetings, photoshoots, extremely tough decisions and science fairs drain him of all energy so he immediately realizes how incredibly unrewarding and lovely this job is.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1313881651/grand-old-academy-a-satirical-dating-sim

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

How has he lived so long without accidentally drinking bleach or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the National Popular Vote Interstate Interstate Compact just a codified arrangement by which Electors will deliberately go faithless when necessary?

If feasible then, why not feasible now? Is it because the feasibility of the Compact is still up in the air too?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the trump rallies will continue until the economy improves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't the National Popular Vote Interstate Interstate Compact just a codified arrangement by which Electors will deliberately go faithless when necessary?

If feasible then, why not feasible now? Is it because the feasibility of the Compact is still up in the air too?

how do you get to 270 EV worth of states to ratify it?

• Locked thread