Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

This guy is dumb as gently caress. He assumes a whole bunch of poo poo about the people working for trump. He also assumes they would let their differences get in the way of the fact that the GOP controls a very large portion of the government and that they have near free rein to do whatever they want.

These same worthless pundits were the ones talking about how the GOP was on the brink of collapse after the pussy tape came out and a few Rs denounced Trump. Not once throughout the race were there ever more than a few true unendorsements of Trump from the GOP. Most of those officials came crawling back while the vast majority had fallen in line long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/798157949491412992

quote:

Now, the Trump phenomenon has a lot of really good stuff in it, the anti-elitism, the concern for America's economy in the rust belt, the desire to see better days for the country.

I assume this article was done before who his appointments were going to be dropped

quote:

Here's the thing, Hillary Clinton did try to reach out to the Sanders voters with policy concessions, but Sanders voters, especially his most activist core, are process people. They're not policy wonks. They're people who want big money out of politics. They're people who want fairness from the DNC Chair. They're people who want every vote to count. They're the people who don't like Wall Street money. Right? They're primarily about the process of politics and whether or not it's fair and whether or not big money elites are rigging things in your favor. They don't care how many zeroes you add onto your promised education college policy, if they don't trust you in the first place.

quote:

: Local politics matters a lot. Local, state, an effort to rebuild the farm team from the ground up, because we lost so much during the Obama years when it comes to Congress, when it comes to state legislatures. Anybody who's mad should run for something. Let's get that going. I also think that also sometimes we over-emphasize the political system. There's other ways to make a difference. There's technology, there's media, there's business. We need a more diversified portfolio of change-making tools, so that we don't just get so freaked out by whatever's happening in the political corner.

quote:

You have a new media system and he emerged as a new master of it. FDR was underrated, but he understood radio and he dominated. JFK was underrated but he understood television, and he dominated. Obama was underrated but he understood the internet, and its capability to bring out small dollar donors and to push viral videos. Trump was underrated, but he understood social media and he understood reality television. We thought he was leaving that world of entertainment and climbing over the wall into politics. In fact, what he did was he pulled the world of politics into the world of reality television. Basically we all just had to live in the Trump reality television show, and now we're kind of stuck there for at least four years. Maybe eight.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

reality tv nothing

we're going to spend the next 4-8 years trapped in a dril tweet

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

But this ignores all the points where Liberals (or leftists I guess) have plenty to fight for? And that they lost the economic war. They lost it happily it seems, when you read comments like Chuck Schumer's.

And being a politician means trying to convince half of a population with the other half. If that's too much for a politician, they picked the wrong career.
My point was that boo-hoo'ing about dem politicians is missing the bigger picture and griping about the fact that people aren't perfect.

edit: The country is largely leftist and time after time, people move to be more progressive and get over it (gay marriage, suffrage, civil rights). Dems are inept but professionals of all classes have inept people, dems flaws are more public.

temple has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Nov 14, 2016

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
so kennedy understood tv, and obama understood the internet, but trump won because he understood twitter and reality tv, which are distinct from tv and the internet somehow....? :psyduck:

it is really uhh like indicative of living completely ensconced in a beltway media bubble if you think trumps twitter played any role in his victory, lol

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

He understood"the Twitter age" which is a fart huffing way to say he spoke in very easy to digest way. There's tons of people who cite that as a reason they like him.

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016

Peel posted:

reality tv nothing

we're going to spend the next 4-8 years trapped in a dril tweet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/773559859287584771?s=09

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I get mad all over again every time I remember how much "Bernie Sanders' only real base is rural white people" was thrown around as a negative thing during the primary

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Mutant Standard posted:

i guess not then huh
Bernie's Deal may be good too:

https://ourrevolution.com/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In 2004 I was 17 and wasn't really paying attention to political discussion spaces; anyone know how long after that went down people were still trying to pretend John Kerry was a good candidate

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

Here's the thing, Hillary Clinton did try to reach out to the Sanders voters with policy concessions, but Sanders voters, especially his most activist core, are process people. They're not policy wonks. They're people who want big money out of politics. They're people who want fairness from the DNC Chair. They're people who want every vote to count. They're the people who don't like Wall Street money. Right? They're primarily about the process of politics and whether or not it's fair and whether or not big money elites are rigging things in your favor. They don't care how many zeroes you add onto your promised education college policy, if they don't trust you in the first place.

Hillary floated a $10 billion plan to help some people get some degrees. People aren't fooled by "big numbers" like $10 billion when AIG got $182 billion. Iraq war? $2 trillion. Bank Bailouts? $700 billion . Education for the people? $10 billion GEE WHIZ THANKS HILLARY YOU'RE THE BEST

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/politico/status/798140449860947968
Schumer into the sun.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

jesus christ

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is why i think chuck is an idiot

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Venom Snake posted:

this is why i think chuck is an idiot

"HEY GUYS, WE NEED TO SPEND MONEY ON MY SEAT IN NEW YORK, AND COMPLETELY IGNORE THE RACE DOWN IN FLORIDA :downs:"

Yeah, he lost all the good grace he got for endorsing Ellison.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the congressional republican reaction to obama was not wrong inherently, it was wrong because obama was not actually a monstrous incapable nazi and a threat to the republic

this is not the time to leave filis unbusted

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

I am loving disgusted with this party

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbf Bernie said he would work with trump on infrastructure so this could just be posturing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm willing to allow cooperation with Trump on infrastructure. Ours is in shambles, so fine, I'll let him have that. Beyond that there is a very, very narrow list of things I'm willing to allow cooperation on.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That's what I love about the democratic party electorate, man. I get older, they stay the same age. - Wooderson from dazed and confused

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

is there any info on hillary's downticket fundraising? did downtickets get much of the money she raised?

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016
I think it's more a situation where they don't want to look like the obstructionist republicans because that went so bad for them so they want to look reasonable while the GOP squabbles between infrastructure bills and decreasing government spending

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kibaces posted:

I think it's more a situation where they don't want to look like the obstructionist republicans because that went so bad for them so they want to look reasonable while the GOP squabbles between infrastructure bills and decreasing government spending

Maybe, with the biggest loving maybe you've seen this side of Alaska.

Or, it could be just like 2003 when Bush went in front of Congress, asked to go to war with Iraq, and democrats weighed "Do we vote against this in line with our principles or do we vote for it in hopes of keeping our seats".

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!

(there's actually a political cartoon about this. I'll see if I can find it)

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
it would of course be a horrible strategy to be obstructionist, everyone remembers the massive losses the gop continually suffered under obama for obstructing him at every turn, not even letting him fill a vacant supreme court spot

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Yeah I'm willing to wait and see what they do. In isolation there's nothing wrong in saying "If the president supports the good policies I support I will vote for those policies."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
We don't even know what Trump's agenda is actually going to be. Until stuff actually starts coming up there's no reason not to do follow what Bernie did and basically dare Trump to follow through on the good parts of his platform while promising to resist the bad things.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, I skipped a lot of pages in this thread, so if anyone can bring me up to date on any news, plans, changes to the document, etc., please do.

Meanwhile
If anyone here is in MA

quote:

Democratic State Committee Meeting
When
Mon, November 14, 6pm – 8pm
Where
Quincy High School, 100 Coddington S.t, Quincy, MA 02169 (map)
Description

Refreshments served at 6pm. Meeting will start at 7pm. All Democrats are welcome. For more info visit http://www.massdems.org/

This is happening tonight.

I am going to be working this week on trying to get information on all sorts of events like these for people in various states, so if you are interested in getting some info for your state please send me a PM so I can add it to the research list. If you include your hometown and county I'll try to add those to the list as well, and organize all this stuff in a new page on the website along with the other info.

Unless anyone else in this thread has already done it, I am also going to start getting some communication tools together and trying to pull in outsiders and spread the message and maybe organize this motley collection of "we should totally do ****" into a "we are currently doing *****" type situation, so let me know if you're interested in that as well.

It is driving me loving crazy that there's no way I can go to this (wife still recovering from surgery, can't get a babysitter for that night so I am taking care of the kids) so if there's anyone else here from MA who could go and speak for us that would be incredible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Like, Trump just went on TV yesterday and said Gay Marriage was the settled law of the land and he was okay with that. He's a big egotistical baby who was a Democrat until a couple of years ago. I don't think he's going to turn in to a secret democrat while he's in office or anything (his cabinet picks make that clear) but there's positive stuff that could probably get through as long as they don't turn everything in to a standoff.

Save the standoffs for the terrible poo poo that'll surely be coming out of the House. Don't just resist everything as a gently caress you to Trump.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

so kennedy understood tv, and obama understood the internet, but trump won because he understood twitter and reality tv, which are distinct from tv and the internet somehow....? :psyduck:

it is really uhh like indicative of living completely ensconced in a beltway media bubble if you think trumps twitter played any role in his victory, lol

This is why it's important not to think about primaries too early. Select someone now, and they'll probably spend too much time on kik. Need to focus on the next meaningless social media tool.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The key difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats have some sort of interest in running a country while Republicans are basically LARPing Game of Thrones

That said I am keenly interested in knowing what Schumer means by "sparingly"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

loquacius posted:

In 2004 I was 17 and wasn't really paying attention to political discussion spaces; anyone know how long after that went down people were still trying to pretend John Kerry was a good candidate

Uh we still do

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Harry Reid picked a wrong time to stop sniffing glue / being the Senate minority leader

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

Being a salesperson must be really easy

"It's your job to buy my product, not mine to convince you. Such a self-centered argument: my prices are exorbitant and my product is worst-in-class"

or, like, a lawyer

"It's your job to find in my favor, not mine to convince you. Friggin JURY BROS!!!!!"

Interesting question: what does Peter Daou think his job, y'know, is

Like Venom said guys like him are so wrapped up in their DC bubble where of COURSE all their friends and all just know voting is good and important that he probably views his job as just stating the correct opinion to the public. In his world that's all you need to do, he says 'ahem, actually, Trump is BAD' and then assumes every follower he has will go 'poo poo, he's right, better go vote'.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

logikv9 posted:

Harry Reid picked a wrong time to stop sniffing glue / being the Senate minority leader

But now he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected, so he's free to devastate anyone he sees fit to be devastated.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

loquacius posted:

The key difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats have some sort of interest in running a country while Republicans are basically LARPing Game of Thrones

That said I am keenly interested in knowing what Schumer means by "sparingly"

I assume sparingly means Ryan's rear end-loving of Medicare and any hopefully any other "this change will literally kill thousands of people" type of bills.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Any fear of Trump's realization at the enormity of the job and basically nothing getting done, need not worry!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Nonsense posted:

Any fear of Trump's realization at the enormity of the job and basically nothing getting done, need not worry!

thanks obama :(

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

do i even have to say it at this point

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nonsense posted:

I'm the photo of part of the statue of liberty hung within skeeting distance of geogre washington's portrait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Apparently it's not just locally, and they actually had a meeting for discussing the future DNC chair yesterday (which I also couldn't attend, same reason)

God loving drat it, I hate being trapped at home while poo poo happens.

Please, look into your local party organization details - This is the week meetings are happening nationwide!

• Locked thread