Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

El Disco posted:

True, but AFT is the same. It's only good for AA because lol at relying on your cruiser secondaries to do anything. Problem is, those two are the only good ones for a British cruiser. Survivability Expert doesn't give enough HP for a cruiser to care about, and DE is only going to be worth anything if you're running the same captain on a Belfast. Best bet is to have that extra AA for those games you do get with a carrier.

I don't know, I think I'd rather have AFT because I'm lazy. I don't want to actually have to worry about manually assigning AA targets.

I mean when I'm also not trying to maneuver and shooting at people, it's fine, but when those things are going on often the first indicator I have that there are planes coming after me is the sound of my own AA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Can anyone clarify the situation with swapping ARP captains between ships? It seems to me I can use my 15 point Hiei captain in any ARP ship and gain full bonuses EXCEPT for the Takao where it looks like i am only getting half the bonuses, as if the captain was retraining. Yet there is nothing in the port interface to suggest there's a difference between the two cases.

Edit: sorry as soon as I posted I realised I hadn't mounted the Concealment Module, so yeah the 15 point Hiei captain does have full effect in the Takao. Thats a Kongo, Myoko and Atago all with a 15 point captain now, really nice. Concealment build works nicely for the Kongo too.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

Can anyone clarify the situation with swapping ARP captains between ships? It seems to me I can use my 15 point Hiei captain in any ARP ship and gain full bonuses EXCEPT for the Takao where it looks like i am only getting half the bonuses, as if the captain was retraining. Yet there is nothing in the port interface to suggest there's a difference between the two cases.

Edit: sorry as soon as I posted I realised I hadn't mounted the Concealment Module, so yeah the 15 point Hiei captain does have full effect in the Takao. Thats a Kongo, Myoko and Atago all with a 15 point captain now, really nice. Concealment build works nicely for the Kongo too.

I am absolutely amazed you have stomached enough terrible anime voice, gaudy colors, lack of premium bonuses, and inability to fit camo to have a single anime 15 point captain, let alone multiple.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Premier league has so many loving cowards god drat.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cowards and retards all over the place this weekend. 200% weekends on the one hand are nice, but holy poo poo do they always seem to bring out the absolute worst players. Really lovely getting huge strings of losses because team after team apparently has no clue how to play even at T8+.

One bright spot was picking up my third supercontainer, with 100k free XP.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I am absolutely amazed you have stomached enough terrible anime voice, gaudy colors, lack of premium bonuses, and inability to fit camo to have a single anime 15 point captain, let alone multiple.

No I only have 1 and it was a reward in Europe for some quest a few months ago. Tbh I have hardly played the ships but the Takao is a serious step above the others and I will probably use it a lot

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Cowards and retards all over the place this weekend. 200% weekends on the one hand are nice, but holy poo poo do they always seem to bring out the absolute worst players. Really lovely getting huge strings of losses because team after team apparently has no clue how to play even at T8+.

One bright spot was picking up my third supercontainer, with 100k free XP.

Yeah the 200% are only good if you can get a win. I'm like 3 wins for 9 losses today or something. Just teams loving up horribly.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Aramoro posted:

Yeah the 200% are only good if you can get a win. I'm like 3 wins for 9 losses today or something. Just teams loving up horribly.

There's also the possibility of getting a BAD win. Last night I got a Bismark win with 450-ish base xp because the enemy team folded like origami paper.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Aramoro posted:

I seem to have gotten the flip side of this, with 15 wins for 2 losses over the past few days. It really helps if you can stay alive until the endgame, since most pubbies have no clue how to act since they rarely live so long anyway.

Of course, that doesn't help when your team decide to rush center channel on two brothers. Seriously, when has that strategy ever worked? it's like the lakeville valley push of world of warships.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
You know, Wargaming could have given RN Cruisers regular armor piercing and "common" semi-armor piercing shells. That might have worked better. Not that I'm complaining.

kaesarsosei posted:

No I only have 1 and it was a reward in Europe for some quest a few months ago. Tbh I have hardly played the ships but the Takao is a serious step above the others and I will probably use it a lot

Fair enough. It is a good ship if lacking slightly because of the camo problem. I've seen it used to good effect in ranked right along side the regular Atago.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I seem to have gotten the flip side of this, with 15 wins for 2 losses over the past few days. It really helps if you can stay alive until the endgame, since most pubbies have no clue how to act since they rarely live so long anyway.

Of course, that doesn't help when your team decide to rush center channel on two brothers. Seriously, when has that strategy ever worked? it's like the lakeville valley push of world of warships.

Rushing the Channel on Two Brothers isn't about winning.

It's about getting out of Two Brothers as fast as possible.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Triggerhappypilot posted:

A rush right at the start works maybe 0.01% of the time. A middle rush later in the match, depending on how the enemy team deploys, can actually work. If half their team goes far to one side and the other half goes close to the island, your team can send half up the middle and half around the side of the island and surround them. But of course pubbies don't think that far ahead and just want to OMG RUSH!

Also this was a fun loss. By "fun" I mean "aggravating" of course.

Contrary to popular belief, "BC" doesn't mean "2 DDs go B while the rest of the team goes C and stays there terrified in a puddle of their own urine." Special shout-out to our Iowa that, at full health, died to a single 40% health Sharnhorst. The same Sharnhorst that I had burning to death when the game ended on points :argh:.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Dumb question but: can you retrain captains for ships that are unlocked, but not purchased? I can't see how to do it like in World of Tanks.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Quick trip report on the Leander for the curious:

Pros:
  • The guns are loving awesome, I think I've gotten more citadels than I can remember in a long time. Either that or my aim is getting less poo poo. v:v:v Its range isn't that much less than the Emerald's guns either.
  • Another nice thing is that the ship also feels like it can (kind of) take a hit, assuming you aren't a dumbass and just present broadside to all and sundry.
  • Once you start getting upgrades like Steering Gear Mod. 2, it is pretty drat sprightly.
  • Like the Emerald the torpedoes are pretty useful; I've ambushed at least a few ships (particularly battleships).
  • Excellent DD hunter. I've managed to sink several DDs that got cocky because "it's just a RN cruiser".

Cons:
  • The 12km base range without the fire control upgrade was killing me. I kept running into situations where I was perfectly positioned to start hammering away but the enemy was too far away.
  • You're not that much less squishy than the Emerald. Prepare to get citadelled if you gently caress up.
  • Without mods the guns take forever to traverse. Or at least it feels like that to me. :saddowns:

Overall I'd say that the moments when the ship just clicks are some of the most fun I've had in a while; I very nearly managed to replicate the feat OwlFancier related last page during one of my games. However, if the enemy team decides to focus you down or you get caught with your pants down you will die swiftly and horribly. Admittedly my thoughts could be hilariously off-base since I am bad at botes.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

El Disco posted:

Contrary to popular belief, "BC" doesn't mean "2 DDs go B while the rest of the team goes C and stays there terrified in a puddle of their own urine."

Domination on Neighbors, every loving time. That map needs a major rework.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sperglord Actual posted:

Domination on Neighbors, every loving time. That map needs a major rework.

Neighbors is a fine map. Just never go to the southwest side and you'll be golden. If the ENEMY goes Southwest, plaster them all over the seafloor because it's poo poo and doesn't have great cover. Just don't chase them into that poo poo side of the map, let them leave the few rocks there and die in open water.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I want an Izumo and I do not know why.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blindeye posted:

Dumb question but: can you retrain captains for ships that are unlocked, but not purchased? I can't see how to do it like in World of Tanks.

Not that I'm aware of. The only way to retrain is to stick the captain in that ship.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Question, how inaccurate are yamato guns?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

According to the ship listing, 276m at 26.6km

Which is substantially more accurate than the US T10 (297m at 23.6km) and the german one (268m at 20.6km)

I believe dispersion is counted at max range so a high dispersion at long range doesn't necessarily mean an inaccurate gun, only that it has longer to disperse in flight. The Yamato should, I think, substantially outclass the German BB at 20km.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Just got my Benson, spent the cash to train my commander and put permanent camo on. Hopefully worth it after the meh of the Mahan.

Edit: OH MY GOD THE CONCEALMENT

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If they ever decide to make tier 2 carriers here are a couple of candidates.

"The Great Lakes Paddlewheeler Aircraft Carriers posted:

But there were other carriers. Slow-moving, coal-burning, side paddlewheel ships that had no battle honours, no complement of aviators or their aircraft; no protecting screen of cruisers and destroyers. These were the two land-locked carriers of the Great Lakes, having more in common with Mark Twain's Mississippi riverboats than all-out warfare on the far side of the planet. They steamed under no great threat save winter ice and the famed white squall. They never saw the open sea, never tasted salt water or blood. They did not venture far into the unknown. They berthed at the same dock every night. They didn't knife the water at 30 knots, driven by three screws and 180,000 shaft horsepower, instead they flapped across shallow waters driven by the thump of ancient steam engines and the swishing of leviathan paddlewheels.

They would never see Tarawa or Okinawa, but they were a common sight off Milwaukee, Racine, Muskegon and Waukegan. They took their place in carrier history without guns, armoured decks, hangar decks, catapults, admirals, or a single battle. They were not named after the great battles for Independence, or founding fathers, but bore the names of woodland animals, albeit fearsome ones. These were the coal smoke belching, paddlewheel foaming, freshwater, land-locked training carriers of the Great Lakes—USS Wolverine and USS Sable.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm still bemusedly hoping Wargaming does something amusing with Project Habakkuk one of these days - almost certainly as some sort of event. It was just such a hilariously insane plan, and a miniature version actually was constructed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They made an ingame model of Habakkuk, it was i the 2016 projection video, but they they plan to do with it I don't know.

Just saw a Minotaur in game for the first time, it's as hilarious as I wished it would be :swoon:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Question, how inaccurate are yamato guns?

The Yamato is the most accurate BB in the game both in terms of dispersion and its shell arcs are superior to all other BBs. I would anecdotally say Izumo is second place, helped by all its shells coming from the same spot. You can get some really tight citadel groupings with it.

Soup Inspector posted:

Quick trip report on the Leander for the curious:

I like the Leander a lot and it makes me really want to move up the rest of the line but the smoke "bug" is killing me. I can't seem to figure out how to get the second puff to consistently work. Do I need to be going at max speed? I'm usually trying to slow down since I want to ideally stop in the second puff.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

Just got my Benson, spent the cash to train my commander and put permanent camo on. Hopefully worth it after the meh of the Mahan.

Edit: OH MY GOD THE CONCEALMENT

The Benson is very good. I'm at the Gearing and I kept a Benson around for fun and ranked until I got the Lo Yang, which is basically a Benson C hull with worse torps. Since you got the permanent camo I see you have the same idea.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

I like the Leander a lot and it makes me really want to move up the rest of the line but the smoke "bug" is killing me. I can't seem to figure out how to get the second puff to consistently work. Do I need to be going at max speed? I'm usually trying to slow down since I want to ideally stop in the second puff.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. Problem is that as far as I know there's no way to guarantee the second puff will happen. Once or twice I've just stayed in the first puff because at least that works every time. Weird thing is that it feels like the Emerald rarely, if ever, suffered the smoke bug.

Admittedly though I've managed to mitigate the worst of it (semi-inconsistently) by always deploying smoke near an island edge, so that if I am caught with my pants down I can just reverse behind the island and break LOS.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone got any tips for the low tier US DD's. I love the Japanese ones, dropping torps whilst concealed dodging around but with the US ones I have real trouble closing the gap and escaping consistently like you can in the Japanese ones. Is it just a problem of the low tier ones?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Anyone got any tips for the low tier US DD's. I love the Japanese ones, dropping torps whilst concealed dodging around but with the US ones I have real trouble closing the gap and escaping consistently like you can in the Japanese ones. Is it just a problem of the low tier ones?

Work your way to the T4 Clemson and buy the gun upgrade. US smoke lasts longer than the counterparts, so you can use it for stealth fires more. Hug islands if you're going for a torp run, and know the range at which your guns switch from being guns to being catapult launchers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Work your way to the T4 Clemson and buy the gun upgrade. US smoke lasts longer than the counterparts, so you can use it for stealth fires more. Hug islands if you're going for a torp run, and know the range at which your guns switch from being guns to being catapult launchers.

The Clemson is the one I'm in just now and it just feels such a contrast coming from the Isokaze where you can pick up 2 or 3 devastating strikes a game to one where you get stuck in a kind of no man's land if you want to drop torps.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The Clemson is the one I'm in just now and it just feels such a contrast coming from the Isokaze where you can pick up 2 or 3 devastating strikes a game to one where you get stuck in a kind of no man's land if you want to drop torps.

us and rus dd are gunboats. torps are their backup plan. Use stealth to get close, then smoke and open up. make sure someone else is spotting your victim.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Unless you are near islands or ready to go for glory or death, forget you have torps. Instead, use your 6-gun arc to punish enemy DDs and burn battleships.

If you can sneak up to a group of enemy BBs, though, start spinning around and fill the ocean with torpedoes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Clemson is so much fun, it's probably one of my favorite ships. Yesterday, I had a match with the stereotypical newbie BB driver. I sailed up to him at 5km popped smoke, went broadside to him, launched a spread and just started firing. He never altered his course at all and just drove into the torp wall. No way I can get away with that in a Benson or Fletcher game. :black101:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

Weird thing is that it feels like the Emerald rarely, if ever, suffered the smoke bug.

I absolutely cannot remember a single instance of this happening with the Emerald whereas it happened on at least 80% of my smoke deployments with the Leander. Anyway, I just moved up to the Fiji so I will see what it is like later today.

When I looked in port, the Fiji looks a massive upgrade on the already nice Leander. 50% more barrels, decent increase in range and similar torpedos and concealment.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

I absolutely cannot remember a single instance of this happening with the Emerald whereas it happened on at least 80% of my smoke deployments with the Leander. Anyway, I just moved up to the Fiji so I will see what it is like later today.

When I looked in port, the Fiji looks a massive upgrade on the already nice Leander. 50% more barrels, decent increase in range and similar torpedos and concealment.

I just made the move to Fiji myself, and things went great until I failed to account for stock maneuverability and exploded.

Is the torp upgrade really just ~400 more damage, or is it a stealth upgrade like the Clemson's guns?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm still on the Emerald and already the RN cruiser line is my dream tree :kimchi:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

kaesarsosei posted:

I only know from DDs so I'm not sure how it applies to RN cruisers, but smoke puffs won't spawn unless you are far enough away from the centre of the previous one. There does seem to be a bit of leeway, if my understanding is right in a US DD you get a smoke puff every 4 seconds, and as long as you get somewhere near the edge of the previous one during that time it will spawn. I guess with RN cruisers there's no leeway though since the second smoke puff is the last one. You almost certainly won't get it at 1/4 speed (because that's the speed that sacrifices smoke clouds to make sure you never become visible while laying it), so presumably there's an optimal moment where you should go from full speed to full reverse to stop inside the second cloud while still hitting the edge of the first one fast enough to spawn it.

AfroSquirrel posted:

I just made the move to Fiji myself, and things went great until I failed to account for stock maneuverability and exploded.

Is the torp upgrade really just ~400 more damage, or is it a stealth upgrade like the Clemson's guns?

It's an increased flood chance as well, but that's not shown in port for some reason.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

I think this is my Clemson mistake, I didn't take the gun upgrade yet as it didn't really seem to do much according to the stats.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

I'm still on the Emerald and already the RN cruiser line is my dream tree :kimchi:

It's quite awesome. I've been grinding my captain for the Edinburgh in a Belfast all weekend. I'm so close to having a 15pt captain I can taste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Aramoro posted:

I think this is my Clemson mistake, I didn't take the gun upgrade yet as it didn't really seem to do much according to the stats.

Yeah, it only doubles your firepower. :)

e: There's a lot of really annoying cases with this actually. A lot of the C hulls for US DDs give up a 5" gun for more Bofors and the DF ability, and it tends to be the gimpy one with bad firing angles that gets removed (so it's not quite as bad as it sounds). But there's no way to tell which one it is without buying the upgrade, and you can't even double check the angles in port either.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 14, 2016