Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My cat died this summer. My new cat is hella cute but no replacement. Hug a cat friend today. Spoil them with treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

My cat died this summer. My new cat is hella cute but no replacement. Hug a cat friend today. Spoil them with treats.
I'm lying on a couch with a laptop and my cat came up behind me, stood on her hind legs and tapped me twice on the shoulder with her paw and left to sleep. I don't know what you're trying to say cat, but good night to you too?

The Games Forum Cat Thread.
meowember entertainment system.
Can call it mews for short.

Anyways uh, good cat games anyone?

smuh fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 14, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I find it kind of amazing that titanfall 2 has a campaign that has the modern Nintendo approach to level design. The game getting split into discrete sections of platforming + a concept (conveyor belt factory, turning switches on/off, time travel, etc) and then dropping that concept and moving onto the next one when it's gotten a bit stale; it's a really neat approach, and it is funny how the story just kinda fades away into nonsensical background noise that barely justifies anything. It's an interesting approach to ludonarrative dissonance to have a plot that pretty much functions as fitting aesthetics for a story and nothing else. It's just two armies fighting in a planet of 3d platformer levels.

There is also an evil white south African mercenary, because they are in every video game where you shoot realistic people now I guess :shrug:

Apparently the way they made the campaign was that they took all the brainstorming ideas and just made each one independently and basically wrote the story as a series of load screen briefings lol. It's awesome

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Obviously people buy BF games for the multiplayer, and I did too, but I'm really digging the campaign in BF1. The whole opening where you are thrown into the fontlines and when you die it's just like "welp, that person died" and throws you into the another person, repeat until they all die, is a really neat introduction.

I also played the Pilot story, which was pretty well done.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

smuh posted:

Anyways uh, good cat games anyone?

I will give a more serious answer later but for now, have Super Granny Collection

http://store.steampowered.com/app/36270/

I legitimately want that game but it never goes on sale >:[

Also when you look it up on steam, carmageddon is one of the returned results

Alternate joke answer:

http://i.imgur.com/pOPX4pQ.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/29HXgQ3.mp4

Rain World, if it ever comes out!!!!

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Was Catlateral damage actually fun/good or was it a five minute gimmick game that gets old super fast? Didn't hear anything about it after looking at a video before it came out.

Also yes want that granny game

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Next Year's Assassins Creed looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSthRPmIho&t=131s

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

We're going to do so tomorrow. But he's 19 years old at the very least, and he's been secluding himself the past few months...

Your cat might be getting itself ready to pass. Make sure you know where it's hiding, because that's where the cat is going to go to die.

I'm sorry Liz. Go spend some time with him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is actually surprisingly difficult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69L4UYvu2k&t=74s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Walker Quest: kill the goons

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
UPDATE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze oooooowwwwwnnnnnssssssss

I'm glad it can be played entirely on the touchpad so I can watch a movie without any messing around with cords or switching rooms. The fact that all Switch games (theoretically?) will be like that, we are definitely gettin a Switch

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Tropical Freeze is sweet. The music is even sweeter. I didn't like it initially because I was expecting the controls to feel like the SNES DKC games and they aren't at all. Once I came to terms with them I quickly grew to love the game. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldBKPWjD1os

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the video game they called Owlboy. It's fairly straightforward in design and story, and was pleasant. I'm a giant sucker for pixel art that well made, too. It's weird though, it is and isn't shallow in the way a lot of earlier games are and aren't. I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about that, but I hardly think it's a knock against it.
Stratos is the best track.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my god is dishonoured 2 good

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Tropical Freeze is sweet. The music is even sweeter. I didn't like it initially because I was expecting the controls to feel like the SNES DKC games and they aren't at all. Once I came to terms with them I quickly grew to love the game. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Can you go into a little more detail regarding the controls? That's what I was worried about.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

The Walrus posted:

my god is dishonoured 2 good

It is. It runs like poo poo on my system and I still enjoyed it all the way through.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How much fun would a stealth game with realistic guard AI would be? Like, if guards had actual human vision, i.e. see more than five feet away, with peripheral vision, and the ability to distinguish between the sound of wind blowing and the sound of their pal being choked by a guy in leather.

I bet it wouldn't be very fun

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

How much fun would a stealth game with realistic guard AI would be? Like, if guards had actual human vision, i.e. see more than five feet away, with peripheral vision, and the ability to distinguish between the sound of wind blowing and the sound of their pal being choked by a guy in leather.

I bet it wouldn't be very fun

Stealth as it exists in video games (and many movies/shows) is an entirely fictional construct. Human peripheral vision is very wide and notices even small motions. Furthermore, people never "reset" to not being suspicious. Generally, people only become more suspicious with time. Finally, it's virtually impossible to move so silently, at any meaningful speed with gear and such, that suspicious people won't be alerted to your presence.

I mean, try ducking behind waist-high cover. You aren't hidden from poo poo.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

My kitty watching me read this thread in bed

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Stealth as it exists in video games (and many movies/shows) is an entirely fictional construct. Human peripheral vision is very wide and notices even small motions. Furthermore, people never "reset" to not being suspicious. Generally, people only become more suspicious with time. Finally, it's virtually impossible to move so silently, at any meaningful speed with gear and such, that suspicious people won't be alerted to your presence.

I mean, try ducking behind waist-high cover. You aren't hidden from poo poo.

I dunno man my unused basement bathroom stacked with people six deep that are all unconscious from when I knocked them out between 2-6 weeks ago begs to differ.

ps whats your favourite way to dispatch someone in a stealth game? for my money throwing people off of the tanker in mgs2 is still the winner for some reason. though I do really love dishonoured 2 where you can throw an unconscious body 20 feet head first down some stairs and they're just fine

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

My kitty watching me read this thread in bed

What a Kitty Kutie

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna give a serious answer, based on my own weird tactical realism hangups, especially "non-lethal" takedowns...

But then I remember the running bionic punch in MGSV. So yeah. That.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

My cat, meanwhile, decided to pee on KCB's bathrobe >:[ bad cat

This is the second time we've caught him peeing outside of his litter box. He's neutered and his litter box is clean so idk what the reason is. We have a litter box in this room that we're gonna move over closer to where he has been peeing lately and see if that fixes the problem since iirc he has a vet appointment coming up anyway so we'll know if it is an issue by then.

It's possible he has built up sediment in his bladder that is making it tough for him to pee so he's looking for new spots to make himself comfortable. This happened with one of my cats and he ended up having to spend an expensive visit at the vet removing the sediment via catheter and now he's on what my wife calls "'dumb cat' food" for the rest of his life. It's this stuff ph balanced to make it harder for sediment to build up and stuff like tryptophan to keep him from stressing too much since stress leads to this kind of thing.

Why all this? If they build up that sediment and it blocks their urethra to the point that they can't pee, they can die pretty quickly due to toxin build-up in their blood. This is very rare in female cats but fairly common in male cats because of the length and shape of their urethra.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Snak posted:

I was gonna give a serious answer, based on my own weird tactical realism hangups, especially "non-lethal" takedowns...

But then I remember the running bionic punch in MGSV. So yeah. That.

Speaking of hangups, hanging people up upside-down in the Arkham games is a pretty good one. :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Speaking of hangups, hanging people up upside-down in the Arkham games is a pretty good one. :v:

Hanging people from a tree like the loving Predator was the single coolest thing in AssCreed 3, which was a dumpster fire of a game full of garbage that I hated.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah! Especially if they have a friend around. They'll yell down for help but there's no way way to get your friend down from a gargoyle suspended 40 feet in the air.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Think of it this way, buddy, it always made me feel better when I was in danger of losing a pet. If your cat does pass on to the great hereafter, remember this: Your cat was your friend for a small part of your life, but you were its friend for its entire life.

One of my dogs died just a couple weeks ago and this makes me feel way better about it :unsmith:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RCarr posted:

Can you go into a little more detail regarding the controls? That's what I was worried about.

The controls are fantastic and the game definitely benefits from being on a real, non-wiimote controller. I think he meant the physics, which are way different and heavier than the original trilogy. It takes some getting used to but the game is built around them and you'll be flying along soon enough

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i crunched the numbers and the best assassinations are all sniper shots in hitman. or quick silverballer shots. hitman is so good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i crunched the numbers and the best assassinations are all sniper shots in hitman. or quick silverballer shots. hitman is so good

Before I remember Bionic Punch I was gonna pick fiber wire garrote from Hitman. Especially that one where he turns around and puts his whole body into it. 47 killing someone is like the polar opposite of in tv shows where they show someone's neck getting snapped by a someone gently turning it 45 degrees.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Also to comment on Cat Chat, is your cat hydrated enough? If you feed them dry food then they need to have a water bowl/fountain. Dehydration can lead to urinary tract issues in cats, which is a big reason why they pee in strange places. They don't want to associate the pain with the litter box so they poop/pee outside of it. I would also suggest, depending on the size of your place, adding a second litter box. Some cats will get very picky about where they poop and even something that we think looks clean might be too much for them.

Good luck with your kitty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Donald already walked back on most of his alien rear end kicking promises :911:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i hate 2016

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

It's been about two years since I pplayed the game and I don't remember the specifics of what was troubling me. The controls are fine, it's not a bad control scheme problem. It's a muscle memory thing I had to overcome because I've been playing DKC1 annually since it was released. I approached the game expecting it to control exactly like an SNES game from the 90s and in an unsurprising turn of events, it controls differently! Once I adapted the controls were not an issue and the game owned.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ciaphas posted:

i hate 2016

I can't hate 2016 cause of the few good things that happened during it, but I certainly hate a lot of the other things that happened

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/798250149742931968

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

i hate 2016

if final fantasy 15 actually comes out it will break the space-time continuum and open a gateway to hell, bringing 2016 and the entire human race to the end we deserve

we must do everything in our power to further delay final fantasy 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only 15 days til FF15

• Locked thread