Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

VaultAggie posted:

I'm doing a re-read of the X-wing series books and there's always one part of the second one I never understood. Rogue squadron is trying to smuggle in some kind of memory core (I didn't really get this part either), and wedge goes on for about two pages about having some technician choose boxes, then how he was able to manipulate the technician into choosing the boxes he wanted. I still have no idea what happened in that section, does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's in Wedge's Gamble.

He keeps telling the guy to pick half the boxes without saying ahead of time what he's going to do. If the magic core is in the half he picks, he says that that's the half that they keep for the next round. If it's in the half that isn't picked, the picked ones are the half that gets thrown out. From the outside, this still looks random. Those two pages would have been much better if they were just this paragraph instead of literally two pages of telling a man to pick boxes.

Also, they wanted that core to go to the PLANETARY CENTRAL CPU because keeping track of a trillion people wears out the cores every day, so they made one programmed with "Shut down the shields when the rebellion shows up = yes" to put into the replacement queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Started reading Aftermath. It's a common refrain, but once you get past the whole second person thing it's fairly OK and feels like a Star War.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UMrTk1T8tw
New International Trailer for Rogue One.

Also, some really choppy spliced together dialogue. Wellwe'll 'eed a'team.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like it confirms the theory that they're going to have to escape a collapsing planet that's been shot by the Death Star, which will hopefully be an interesting spectacle.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
The election sort of stole my attention so I haven't been as hyped for Rogue One as I was for The Force Awakens, but everything I've seen in the trailers looks great, and I'm wondering if my low hype might pay dividens.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I quite liked that one shot of the Death Star firing as it eclipses the target planet's sun.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
I am hyped for this. That Imperial March piano at the end nailed it. On another note, Genevieve O'Reilly emulates Caroline Aherne's Mon Mothma really well from what I saw.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Peter Watts - of Blindsight fame - did a Crysis novel that I'd like to check out because he seems so unsuited to doing a video game tie in.

Digging this out from months back, but the Crysis book was pretty good--it reads as a relatively straightforward adaptation of the plot of the second game, but tastes like solid Peter Watts. Well worth it if you like yourself some Rifters or Blindsight.

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon
All these trailers remind me if how much I shouldn't watch them. Though I am happy they have been sparing on Vader.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
All the new trailers look great, must get around to finally watching the first 3 movies, keep putting it off cause I hate old films.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm honestly surprised they haven't jumped on a Darth Vader solo movie instead of this or the Young Han movie. Everyone I've spoken to about Rogue One have been mildly interested, but don't see it as a "real" Star Wars movie, especially since they shot down rumors that it doesn't tie into Episode 8 (Jyn isn't Rey's mom).

Still, it looks interesting enough that I'm going to go see it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Canemacar posted:

I'm honestly surprised they haven't jumped on a Darth Vader solo movie instead of this or the Young Han movie. Everyone I've spoken to about Rogue One have been mildly interested, but don't see it as a "real" Star Wars movie, especially since they shot down rumors that it doesn't tie into Episode 8 (Jyn isn't Rey's mom).

Still, it looks interesting enough that I'm going to go see it.

That is why Rogue One is a good idea. Developing new characters instead of making it all about the same five dudes is a good thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Darth Vader movie has the advantage that he's in a full body suit. As long as you can find a guy that learns to movie properly you're set. The only issue is James Earl Jones is really up there in years now. Once he's gone they'll probably have to start autotuning Keith David.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That is why Rogue One is a good idea. Developing new characters instead of making it all about the same five dudes is a good thing.

Agreed. One of the big mistakes that the prequels made was trying to wedge so much of the first trilogy into it. There was no need for R2D2 or C3PO to show up. No need to start Anakin out on Tatooine. Etc, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

A Darth Vader movie has the advantage that he's in a full body suit. As long as you can find a guy that learns to movie properly you're set. The only issue is James Earl Jones is really up there in years now. Once he's gone they'll probably have to start autotuning Keith David.

Scott Lawrence would be better than Keith David. He's done a fantastic job whenever he voices Vader, much better than Matt Sloan

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I actually agree with you. Rogue One is doing some really interesting things with the look and feel of Star Wars and being loosely based on the Dark Forces game from the nineties tickles my nerd fancy.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Canemacar posted:

(Jyn isn't Rey's mom).

Friend, she totally is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zoran posted:

Friend, she totally is.

Oh please no. Can we please avoid any romance in this movie? Or failing that, make Jyn gay?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

There is literally no reason at all for Female Kyle Katarn to be associated with the Skywalkers in any fashion whatsoever and I really hope it stays that way.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Anyone want to start a deadpool as to who of the main cast (Jyn - Cassian - Chirrut - Baze - K-2S0 - Bodhi) dies first? My money is on Chirrut in some heroic last stand, and then they start getting picked off one-by-one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lake Jucas posted:

Anyone want to start a deadpool as to who of the main cast (Jyn - Cassian - Chirrut - Baze - K-2S0 - Bodhi) dies first? My money is on Chirrut in some heroic last stand, and then they start getting picked off one-by-one.

Chirrut is easy money, followed by Baze as he takes on 20 troops or something to avenge his friend or buy the team time. Bohdi will either die in the cockpit while getting Jyn and Cassian to the last act or he'll survive to the end. K-2 will either die protecting Cassian or K-2 and Cassian will both die protecting Jyn. I'd be extremely surprised if anyone other than Jyn makes it to the credits. I wouldn't even be surprised if Jyn bites it. Rogue One is gonna look like the end of King Lear.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 14, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
This movie appears to invest far more time in Jyn's personal backstory and development than anyone else's. That's material that lays groundwork for future works. Therefore she lives and everyone else in her crew dies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

This movie appears to invest far more time in Jyn's personal backstory and development than anyone else's. That's material that lays groundwork for future works. Therefore she lives and everyone else in her crew dies.

Well someone has to hand deliver the plans to whomever they get to stand in for Leia.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Well someone has to hand deliver the plans to whomever they get to stand in for Leia.

I somehow doubt anyone is hand delivering plans to Leia.

Maybe I'm just still colored by the old Star Wars radio drama but I expect to see a Corvette jump in, get beamed the plans, and then quickly make its escape (followed by Vader in his Star Destroyer).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thwomp posted:

I somehow doubt anyone is hand delivering plans to Leia.

Maybe I'm just still colored by the old Star Wars radio drama but I expect to see a Corvette jump in, get beamed the plans, and then quickly make its escape (followed by Vader in his Star Destroyer).

...beamed?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I just realized. The star wars do not have internet. Just space- radio.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

thrawn527 posted:

...beamed?

"Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you." - Darth Vader, Episode IV

What I really want out of the movie is an explanation why it's not possible to simply make copies of the Death Star plans and distribute them willy-nilly across the galaxy.
It doesn't have to be a good explanation. I just want one, even if it's some bullshit like "the encryption ensures that the file deletes itself after copying".

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Canemacar posted:

The Holonet morphed into being the internet, didn't it?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dave Syndrome posted:

"Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you." - Darth Vader, Episode IV

What I really want out of the movie is an explanation why it's not possible to simply make copies of the Death Star plans and distribute them willy-nilly across the galaxy.
It doesn't have to be a good explanation. I just want one, even if it's some bullshit like "the encryption ensures that the file deletes itself after copying".

Some kind of system wide jamming whose flaw is allowing localized transmissions? Would allow for the Tantive IV to jump in, get the transmission, and jump out.

This is all in the event the team doesn't somehow escape the system with the plans. If they do, they could just be tracked by Vader to the rendezvous point with the Tantive IV and the pursuit can go from there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What are the odds the tropical planet is named Toprawa?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

What are the odds the tropical planet is named Toprawa?

Infinity to one, because it's named Scarif.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dave Syndrome posted:

Oh, right. Duh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zoran posted:

Infinity to one, because it's named Scarif.

Too bad. Looks pretty much the same though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Canemacar posted:

I will probably never understand the "everything must tie in together" impulse. That's one of those things which contributed to making the Legends continuity a mess.

I used to listen to the Full of Sith podcast (it is the first podcast I've ever dropped because the hosts were too positive about everything, which I never thought I'd do :v:) and they used to do the same thing; all this speculation about how of course Episode VII would tie into Rebels, or how of course Felicity Jones must be playing a live action version of the one of the characters from Rebels, because it all tied together now.

But I've said that before, though. I'm not complaining about the removal of Legends stuff and the purits endlessly clamouring to have it back can be pretty irritating but it's pretty weird seeing or hearing the other side of the coin; people who clearly knew all about Legends who seem to have somehow doublethinked it out of existence acting as though the ideas in the new EU are a complete novelty that nobody's ever thought of before. It doesn't bother me or anything but it's very odd indeed!

Canemacar posted:

I actually agree with you. Rogue One is doing some really interesting things with the look and feel of Star Wars and being loosely based on the Dark Forces game from the nineties tickles my nerd fancy.

I sort of wish Disney got somebody to make a deliberately cheap and nasty-looking movie adapting the awesomely bad cut-scenes from DF2. :allears:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lake Jucas posted:

If Chirrut doesn't take on Vader I'm going to loving riot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milky Moor posted:

If Chirrut doesn't take on Vader I'm going to loving riot.

Wouldn't it be great if they did a Predator and had Chirrut draw a sword to face down Vader, only for it to cut away and hear his screams?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wouldn't it be great if they did a Predator and had Chirrut draw a sword to face down Vader, only for it to cut away and hear his screams?

I want Donnie Yen to palm strike a VHS straight into Vader's chest slot!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Pretty sure Saw is gonna bite it too

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

Looking things up on the Holonet space radio doesn't seem to be a thing most people in the SW Universe can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I know there were rumors a while back that Carrie Fisher's daughter (who also had the cameo in TFA) would appear as Leia briefly at the end.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I used to listen to the Full of Sith podcast (it is the first podcast I've ever dropped because the hosts were too positive about everything, which I never thought I'd do :v:) and they used to do the same thing; all this speculation about how of course Episode VII would tie into Rebels, or how of course Felicity Jones must be playing a live action version of the one of the characters from Rebels, because it all tied together now.

I hear you... I used to listen to them a lot. I remember a few months ago they had an entire episode about how the Star Wars fandom needs to be more inclusive, and a big chunk of it was them getting angry and yelling at the people who don't like the prequels. And then the next episode the host had an apology for it and then the majority of the apology was again him getting angry at people for not liking the prequels.

It's a shame because the only other Star Wars podcast I've listened to was the one that Making Star Wars does, and while I love that site for spoilers and rumors, the hosts were utterly absolutely unsufferable. I feel like that site has gotten to be a lot more of them editorializing than just sharing rumors, but maybe it's just a current rumor drought.