Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Glazier posted:

Honestly there's no point in anything considering every non-white, non-cis and non-straight person in the country is getting loaded on the trains starting Jan 21st. Seems pointless to even try anymore.

Nah dude. We can still fix this. We can still protect you.

I'm not sure what specific minority group you identify as, my apologies, but are there any support groups in your area you could contact?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So who is this dude that a ton of big name Dems are backing to lead the DNC? I've never heard of him before but considering some of the most hyper cynical Goons here seem glad about it he must be a good thing.

Keith Ellison, a Representative from Minnesota. He was one of the first Democrats to endorse Bernie in the primary, all of the party leadership and Bernie and Warren are backing him, he has fairly solid progressive cred and was a high profile opposer of the Iraq War (tried to impeach Cheney). He has mad "gently caress whitey" cred too, as a black Muslim man who took his ceremonial swearing in photo with his hand on Jefferson's Quran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

That is too pie in the sky. You'd have to amend the constitution.

The more prudent idea would be to simply increase once again the number of representatives, which would only require an act of congress. It would still be a difficult proposition, but if we can de-ring Trump in 2020, and get a non hostile house, it might be possible.

As it is, it almost seems pointless to worry about the house races as it is, and better to simply go gang busters on local congresses, which seem to have significant power, especially with regards to redistricting. it would also let us just undermine much of what republicans do above us.

PS how did Colorado care go? I hear it was a ballot initiative? Forget I said anything.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So who is this dude that a ton of big name Dems are backing to lead the DNC? I've never heard of him before but considering some of the most hyper cynical Goons here seem glad about it he must be a good thing.

Keith Ellison is a representative from Minnesota and pretty notable IIRC for being the first Muslim congressman. He was one of Bernie's earliest supporters during the primary, and the fact that big establishment names like Schumer and Reid are endorsing him means that party leadership will probably be controlled by the Bernie progressive wing of the party now.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Schumer is backing Ellison, the most establishment of establishment Dems. He's going to be the next head of then DNC and I'm interested on how he'll guide the party.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Lightning Knight posted:

I meant Wisconsin, my bad.

I'm still not sure of your math. There are about 120k fewer votes in WI from 2012 to 2016 but only about 40k fewer from 2008 to 2016. Since population growth in the last decade is probably a bit above 100k that represents a drop in voting but 300k seems an excessive figure.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/11/rust-belt-democrats-saw-trump-wave-coming posted:

These Rust Belt Democrats Saw the Trump Wave Coming
And they tried to warn the Clinton campaign.

Pema LevyNov. 11, 2016 3:32 PM

Trump supporters posed for a group photo in Minnesota in September. Glen Stubbe/Minneapolis Star Tribune via ZUMA Wire

Like labor unions everywhere, the local Plumbers & Pipefitters union in Ohio's Mahoning Valley—a historically Democratic bastion due to the influence of labor—endorsed Hillary Clinton for president in September 2015 and urged its members to vote for her. But unlike in years past, when Roland "Butch" Taylor briefed about 200 members on the union's support of Clinton and the prospective benefits of a Clinton presidency in May, the meeting didn't go well. "I got a lot of boos," he recalls. "I got a lot of chatter back. And out of the group, only one person came up and asked me for a T-shirt."

"Right then and there, I knew something was wrong," says Taylor, who retired a few months later. "I thought, 'Well, maybe it will change as the campaign moves forward.'"

As the results on election night show, it didn't change. Clinton fell well short of polls and expectations in the Rust Belt, losing two key swing states, Pennsylvania and Ohio, and two that were thought to be safe bets, Michigan and Wisconsin. Working-class white voters, including many union members, banded together into a pro-Donald Trump force that the strategists in Clinton's Brooklyn headquarters didn't see coming until it was too late.

But local Democrats did. And they tried to warn the Clinton campaign.

In May, after thousands of Democrats had switched parties to vote for Trump in the primary, Mahoning County Democratic Party Chairman David Betras circulated a memo cautioning that Trump was making headway in his Rust Belt region and urging the Clinton campaign to take the threat seriously. The memo focused largely on the issue of trade, arguing that because Democratic politicians in Ohio regularly denounce the North American Free Trade Agreement and free trade generally, Trump's anti-trade message was familiar and its appeal powerful. If the Clinton team didn't find a way to counter it, Betras warned, she would lose a lot of votes she was counting on.

Betras sent the memo to Aaron Pickrell, an adviser to Clinton's Ohio campaign team; David Pepper, the chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party; Rep. Tim Ryan, a Democrat who represents northeast Ohio; and union leaders in the region.

To counter Trump's populist appeal, Betras urged Clinton to go vigorously after blue-collar workers by promising to bring back jobs. The key, Betras argued, was to have this message delivered not by politicians but by local blue-collar families in radio and television ads across the region. "The messages can't be about job retraining," he wrote. "These folks have heard it a million times and, frankly, they think it's complete and total bullshit." Instead, he argued, the ads should "focus on the reinvigoration of American manufacturing, and I don't mean real high-tech stuff because they've heard that a million times before and they aren't buying it."

Betras wrote:

Talk about policies that will incentivize companies to repatriate manufacturing jobs. Talk about infrastructure—digging ditches, paving roads, building buildings and producing the materials needed to do it all. The workers we're talking about don't want to run computers, they want to run back hoes, dig ditches, sling concrete block. They're not embarrassed about the fact that they get their hands dirty doing backbreaking work. They love it and they want to be respected and honored for it. And they'll react positively if they believe HRC will give them and their kids the opportunity to break their backs for another ten or twenty or thirty years. Somewhere along the line we forgot that not everyone wants to be white collar, we stopped recognizing the intrinsic value of hard work.

Clinton did revoke her support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership free-trade deal, supported unions and higher wages, and talked about an economy that would work for all people. While Trump spoke in broad strokes, her website boasted detailed economic plans, including one to bring back manufacturing. But it was clear from Bernie Sanders' primary victories in Wisconsin and Michigan that she was lagging with the white working class. Like Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney four years ago, she was the candidate who made millions by giving speeches to Wall Street banks. (It certainly didn't help that when pieces of those speech transcripts were released in the WikiLeaks hacks, the sentence that stood out most was: "My dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders." Trump used that line at his campaign rallies to claim, falsely, that Clinton was going to open the borders completely.)

"Somewhere in all of this, we forgot that we're the party of the working class," says Betras, trying to explain Clinton's loss. He believes the campaign did try to reach out to the blue-collar families of the Rust Belt, but that the attempts never reached the pitch and fervor they needed. "I did like her message of 'Stronger Together,' but that doesn't get anyone a job, does it?"

The Ohio Democratic Party shared Betras' memo with Clinton's Ohio campaign team, according to state party spokeswoman Kirstin Alvanitakis. In an email to Mother Jones, Alvanitakis wrote that "Chairman Betras's memo was a helpful reminder that Democrats should not neglect working-class voters and the Clinton campaign should acknowledge the very real struggles working families are facing in Ohio."

She added, "The Ohio Democratic Party was the first state party in the nation to pass a resolution against fast-tracking the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and our leaders—including Sen. Sherrod Brown, Rep. Tim Ryan, Rep. Marcy Kaptur and more—acutely understand the economic pressure facing working-class families because of terrible trade deals and big banks and corporate special interests run amok. The fact is that the typical Ohio household had a higher income three decades ago than it has had in the past few years."

Betras believes strongly that economic populism was to thank for Trump's Rust Belt victories, saying, "It was people who want a job and want to be able to work and want a job, and they would accept an imperfect messenger because at least he was saying that." But of course there was more to Trump's message. Some African American residents of Youngstown, the largest city in Mahoning County, have long believed that Trump's appeal in the region had more to do with racial resentment than with economic populism—that Trump's racially charged rhetoric united white voters against others who they believed were taking their jobs, their culture, and their country. (On Tuesday night, Clinton won Mahoning County by a hair thanks to backing in minority-majority Youngstown but lost the mostly white surrounding counties of the Mahoning Valley.) As a local African American labor organizer told Mother Jones this summer, "This whole racist rhetoric plays well with some people here."

Like Betras, Taylor doesn't believe his peers and neighbors who supported Trump are racist. But he understands how Trump's talk about immigration appealed to people in the Rust Belt. A few years ago, his union was working on a billion-dollar natural gas processing plant, and the workers noticed that the bulk of the work was being done by Spanish-speaking laborers who arrived each morning on buses. "It brought a lot of resentment to the area because they'd never seen it before," Taylor says. "People see that and then they go tell everybody else, and social media, the way it is, it just runs wild." He believes Trump benefited when the community saw immigrants "taking jobs that Americans think they should be doing."

When went to Youngstown in June and met Taylor, jovial and smartly dressed in a suit, he believed his peers would see through Trump's demagoguery on trade and manufacturing and reject him. "We also are citizens of this country concerned about how he'll react, whether it's a nuclear war, God forbid, to racist comments, to deporting [immigrants]," he said. "These are core beliefs that as citizens of this country we don't stand for."

In the aftermath of the election, even as Taylor looks backs and sees the writing on the wall, he sounds shaken by what the country—and specifically white-working class voters in the Rust Belt—allowed to happen. He acknowledges that the Clintons were "wrapped so close to NAFTA" (which Bill Clinton approved as president) and that Hillary Clinton's speaking fees from big banks looked bad. "I see where people would have resentment," he says.

But then, sounding close to tears, he adds, "She's the most qualified person ever to run for the position, and I agree, she would have done a great job if given the opportunity. But she did not—she had the opportunity to win. She did not win."

Hmmm the dems on the ground in Ohio seem to think that going populist would have kept the people who went to Trump. Nope must be racism.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey Lightning knight is as usual advocating burning bridges so I assume that the democrats will be vindicated by history or some such idiocy. You know rather then preventing America destroying itself.
At this point I don't think there's much we can do to stop America from destroying the republic. We are diving headfirst into the middle of the late 2nd century bc Rome territory.

E: I should clarify. There are many ways we can go that won't destroy the republic, but if it's going down the path that it seems to be going down, it's not a matter of "if", but "when".

Kilroy posted:

"SHOULD OF COMPLIED"

Can't tell if hell, or purgatory.

Lightning Knight posted:

He has mad "gently caress whitey" cred too, as a black Muslim man who took his ceremonial swearing in photo with his hand on Jefferson's Quran.
I did not know this. This is awesome.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 14, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

That is too pie in the sky. You'd have to amend the constitution.

NPVIC?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

thechosenone posted:

The more prudent idea would be to simply increase once again the number of representatives, which would only require an act of congress. It would still be a difficult proposition, but if we can de-ring Trump in 2020, and get a non hostile house, it might be possible.

As it is, it almost seems pointless to worry about the house races as it is, and better to simply go gang busters on local congresses, which seem to have significant power, especially with regards to redistricting. it would also let us just undermine much of what republicans do above us.

PS how did Colorado care go? I hear it was a ballot initiative?

Failed bigly, 80/20. Don't hold your breath for single-payer in America, not even on the state level

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FactsAreUseless posted:

And to secure a future for their children?

We've done a pretty bang-up job of securing a future for our children :smith:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Weren't poor whites the only group of white folks who voted for Clinton? Doesn't that kill the "economic anxiety" argument? The only "economic anxiety" white middle/upperclass voters is "Stop giving my tax dollars to the blacks, browns and poors".

And honestly the "We need to appeal to the racists guys!" talk is super insulting to every minority member of the Democratic Party.

The fact some of y'all are mad that the dems are backing Keith -- A black muslim, and huge Bernie advocate -- a explicit move that says "gently caress you racists, this is the future of our party" is really telling.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 14, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

farraday posted:

I'm still not sure of your math. There are about 120k fewer votes in WI from 2012 to 2016 but only about 40k fewer from 2008 to 2016. Since population growth in the last decade is probably a bit above 100k that represents a drop in voting but 300k seems an excessive figure.

It is entirely possible that I misread and I concede that I am probably wrong. That said, how much did we lose Wisconsin by?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Are a bunch of thick headed jerks still piling on lightning knight?

Yeah?

I'll come back later.

Why won't all these mean poopy heads just admit that economic progressivism is racist and let us continue the strategy of white exclusion that gave up President Trump? :qq:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

The discrimination comes from palces only keeping offices for IDs open only from say 10-2 on a wednesday.

Try one Wednesday per month (unless there's a holiday the same week, then wait until the next month).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Some of us aren't too thrilled with the prospect of "how do we lure the racists back to our tent?" being our big quest for the next few years.

"I don't care about minorities if voting for their candidate isn't going to make my life better." isn't quite the same as "kill all the dark people" despite the overall effect from minorities' perspectives being the same. What I mean is, these people will be easily convinced if they feel the person with a D next to their name actually understands them. Are they racist? Sure, in a way that is different from the gung ho racists who will never vote D unless we hop in the DeLorean and travel back 60 years or more. To you it may be a minor distinction, but if these people can be allies in regaining control of the United States Government and achieving the social progress we want....so be it.

If it makes you feel any better (it won't), appealing to those that are apathetic to racism (likely because they don't encounter the effects of it) won't be something you'll have to do much longer. Just view it as a necessary evil until all the white baby boomers die off and the white population shrinks a bit more.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/797522510149484544

Gonna be really interesting to see where Trump's approval numbers start

Lightning Knight posted:

It is entirely possible that I misread and I concede that I am probably wrong. That said, how much did we lose Wisconsin by?

27,000 votes. (by comparison, 47,000 votes were dropped in Milwaukee for not having voter ID)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Unzip and Attack posted:

Nice strawman.

In the meantime, write up a nice article on voter suppression and see how many clicks you get.

That's not a strawman, I'm a black gay man and I'm getting my will and other affairs in order. I only hope they at least let my family take my pets since they'll probably confiscate everything else.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Business Gorillas posted:

Why won't all these mean poopy heads just admit that economic progressivism is racist and let us continue the strategy of white exclusion that gave up President Trump? :qq:

Totally a thing that is happening in tyool 2016. Yep.

HorseRenoir posted:

27,000 votes. (by comparison, 47,000 votes were dropped in Milwaukee for not having voter ID)

That is very, very depressing. :smith:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's down for re-implementing a 50-state strategy which had a lot of success ten years ago and which the Dem elites nonetheless shitcanned for, best I can tell, no reason at all. For that reason alone I support him, though Howard "Mr 50 State Strat Himself" Dean is also up for the job. Either is fine, but Ellison has the progressive bonafides so he has the edge. Also, to my mind if two candidates for a leadership position in the Democratic party seem equally good, we should prefer the minority.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Glazier posted:

That's not a strawman, I'm a black gay man and I'm getting my will and other affairs in order. I only hope they at least let my family take my pets since they'll probably confiscate everything else.

If you think all black Americans are about to be murdered by the US government then you should probably step away from the computer for awhile. Seriously, take a break and get your mind off of this poo poo. The next four years are going to suck but if you really think genocide is about to happen, why haven't you left for Canada?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

On voter suppression. it definitely played a roll, but not a strong enough roll, compared to the general problem that the Dems were not able to energize voters of all races.

That article only looks at one state with voter suppression. NC probably got impacted pretty hard, though I haven't seen anything yet that indicates it would have flipped if not for suppression.

Koalas March posted:

Weren't poor whites the only group of white folks who voted for Clinton? Doesn't that kill the "economic anxiety" argument? The only "economic anxiety" white middle/upperclass voters is "Stop giving my tax dollars to the blacks, browns and poors".

The economic anxiety argument is specifically applicable to poor whites who stayed home or voted Trump after previously voting for Obama, which is what is being blamed as the reason for the flipped states.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 14, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
At least this election is bringing people together

https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/798182372252401666

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Koalas March posted:

And honestly the "We need to appeal to the racists guys!" talk is super insulting to every minority member of the Democratic Party.

The fact some of y'all are mad that the dems are backing Keith -- A black muslim, and huge Bernie advocate -- a explicit move that says "gently caress you racists, this is the future of our party" is really telling.

National exit polls don't reflect the specific views of those in the 3 states that ended up mattering: MI, WI, PA

Our elections are not nationwide, anything that views it that way shouldn't be used to draw conclusions on how the race was won/lost.

Also, I haven't seen a single person in this forum say that Keith Ellison is a poor choice to run the DNC. If someone did, they're dumb.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

HorseRenoir posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Glazier posted:

Do you have a good family / friend network to talk to? You sound like you might need to talk to someone (that isn't in a dead online forum). The thread could probably find numbers for you to call if need be.

This is probably the last place you'll find solace right now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HorseRenoir posted:

Donald Trump: uniting Muslims and Jews :911:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Unzip and Attack posted:

Some of us aren't too thrilled with the prospect of "how do we lure the racists back to our tent?" being our big quest for the next few years.
Nobody's thrilled by it but it's got to be done. It's not like the Democrats have to revert to Woodrow Wilson to get these voters back, they voted for Obama. They just need to offer them meat and potatoes policies so they don't reach for the delicious sugar rush of "it's the Mexicans!"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

HorseRenoir posted:

These are both encouraging things.

Elotana posted:

Nobody's thrilled by it but it's got to be done. It's not like the Democrats have to revert to Woodrow Wilson to get these voters back, they voted for Obama. They just need to offer them meat and potatoes policies so they don't reach for the delicious sugar rush of "it's the Mexicans!"

This, basically.

I mean so long as we can prevent the left from buying into "nah gently caress immigrants" too.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Koalas March posted:

My understanding is she won but by margins that frankly should be embarrassing for a Democrat. The poor still do largely turnout for Democrats, and she won but she should have won bigger than she did.

This is based on reading one source offhand like two days after the election. I might be wrong.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

HorseRenoir posted:

Failed bigly, 80/20. Don't hold your breath for single-payer in America, not even on the state level

Single payer will never work unless governments are allowed to negotiate medication prices and reimport overpriced drugs. Which likely means it's dead everywhere for the foreseeable future. Even if Colorado Care would have passed, I doubt they would have been able to make it work, based upon Vermont's struggles to get it done. Then again, Colorado has a lot more money and bigger tax base, so I could be wrong.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kilroy posted:

He's down for re-implementing a 50-state strategy which had a lot of success ten years ago and which the Dem elites nonetheless shitcanned for, best I can tell, no reason at all. For that reason alone I support him, though Howard "Mr 50 State Strat Himself" Dean is also up for the job. Either is fine, but Ellison has the progressive bonafides so he has the edge. Also, to my mind if two candidates for a leadership position in the Democratic party seem equally good, we should prefer the minority.

Dean and Ellison aren't equally good. Howard Dean's time is over....Ellison is the clear choice. I hope he seeks Dean's advice on what did and didn't work with regards to the 50-state strategy, but I don't want more establishment types in leadership positions in the DNC.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Elotana posted:

Yeah, but see if they just keep pandering to the pronoun police then they don't have to hurt their rich friends' feelings.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
considering that democrats are not going to make any progress without INCREASING their number of voters, I don't think we are in any danger of forsaking minority voters. We can't out bigot the republicans, so we have nothing to lose from trying to help MORE people, which doesn't in any way require us to abandon those we already wish to help.

This isn't a zero sum game. Helping White people doesn't mean hurting non-White people. As it is, hurting other groups doesn't benefit anyone at all (I don't even think rich people benefit, since it drains a lot of potentially useful people from their employment pool).

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 14, 2016

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Koalas March posted:

Wait, are people mad about that? I skipped a bunch of pages but didn't see any of that that. I'll admit I know nothing about him but if Warren and Sanders like him that's good enough for me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Whoops, misread a quote. But the general idea still stands:

https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/797959337264160772

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mahoning posted:

Dean and Ellison aren't equally good. Howard Dean's time is over....Ellison is the clear choice. I hope he seeks Dean's advice on what did and didn't work with regards to the 50-state strategy, but I don't want more establishment types in leadership positions in the DNC.

I kind of want to take a time machine back to 2004 and tell them that in 2016 Trump will beat Hillary running as a fascist and Howard Dean is considered an establishment politician.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

ozmunkeh posted:

Wait, are people mad about that? I skipped a bunch of pages but didn't see any of that that. I'll admit I know nothing about him but if Warren and Sanders like him that's good enough for me.

I think I've read every page of this stupid thread, and I don't recall seeing a single person angry about that, and the fact that party leadership has supported him has received some kudos. The post you are responding to is just more divisive race baiting from inside the party of all places.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Lightning Knight posted:

We'll know exact numbers when the finals come in but current estimate is about 27k.
I would have to go into a county by country breakdown to see where the real swings are coming from but a quick look shows Trump up big in midsize towns and rural areas that went Obama in 2016 and about 48k fewer ballots cast total in Mlwaukee. On the other hand Clinton pulled more votes out of Dane county (Madison) and kept Waukesha(Rich white rear end in a top hat suburb of Milwaukee) closer than Obama did in 2012.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I kind of want to take a time machine back to 2004 and tell them that in 2016 Trump will beat Hillary running as a fascist and Howard Dean is considered an establishment politician.

Haha, I knew I'd get poo poo for calling him establishment, but the point is we should be looking forward not backward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean so long as we can prevent the left from buying into "nah gently caress immigrants" too.

With Automation and AI taking up jobs, having a large, recently arrived low-skilled population is a ticking time bomb. Insofar as immigration represents a risk greater than zero, it doesn't seem like a risk worth taking in the current economic and technological environment.

• Locked thread