Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Ford is the AI singularity, and Arnold is still living hidden in the park trying to overthrow him from the shadows. The reason that Ford hasn't let any of the IP be backed up off site is any close scrutiny of it will reveal that he is an AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Ford is the AI singularity, and Arnold is still living hidden in the park trying to overthrow him from the shadows. The reason that Ford hasn't let any of the IP be backed up off site is any close scrutiny of it will reveal that he is an AI.

My theory is similar, but that Arnold was created by Ford back in they day and achieved awareness. Thats why the code is so advanced, an AI helped make the code and it eventually went beyond what a person could do on their own.

At the center of the maze is the "undying man" that the Indian prophecy talked about. I think it is Arnold and he is still trying to achieve his vision of the park.

Ford may or may not be a terminator also.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
So with the technicians talking to Maeve about it not being simple for her to leave, is she going to escape the park at the end of the season, then just immediately melt?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

So with the technicians talking to Maeve about it not being simple for her to leave, is she going to escape the park at the end of the season, then just immediately melt?

Now that I think about it, Maeve and Bernard are the only two hosts (inside the park) that know they're hosts, aren't they? And why did the Girl In White out in the 'lobby' area on the way in with William not have a freakout about being a host if that's such a problem inside the park?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

The host being printed didnt have a finished side. It was only skeletal with muscle being printed

Yep. It seems to me the bots in this series are closer to the flesh cylons in BSG than terminator-esque cyborgs.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Phuzzy posted:

Now that I think about it, Maeve and Bernard are the only two hosts (inside the park) that know they're hosts, aren't they? And why did the Girl In White out in the 'lobby' area on the way in with William not have a freakout about being a host if that's such a problem inside the park?
Is she actually aware or just programmed to say "Does it matter?" when someone asks without actually thinking it, though?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Phuzzy posted:

She was assigned as a greeter while Bernard and Maeve both woke up spontaneously (more or less) from having faux-human personalities; Greeters are probably assigned back stories in which they are aware of the fact that they are not real people and are programed for complacency in face of this existentialist horror while hosts with human personalities would react pretty much like a regular person would once he discovers that his entire life is a lie and that his memories are fake.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
The only qualm I have about the MiB/timeline thing is that Delores runs to McPoyke after shooting that guy in the neck which was in direct response to remembering being raped by Ed Harris.

Then, in present day, they send someone to retrieve her after that while she's with McPoyle because she's not supposed to be there. I'm just not convinced that theory works without a lot of retconning and "gently caress you"s to the viewing audience.

There may be some out of sequence scenes, but if we ARE seeing dual timelines I'm not convinced it's that particular story yet.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

There aren't too many people who could grab Elise but I would say it could be any host, not just a "human." Dolores (two time frames) would be quite a surprise.

Phi230 posted:

Hey guys I have bad news

You know that robot getting 3d printed in Fords basement is Elsie

I think one of the overlooked details is that when Bernard asks about Elsie the guy filling in for her says she went on leave. It suggests that whoever made her disappear has corporate admin functions to change her status (can a host know to do that, and a host not working for Ford have the ability to?). If Ford replaces Theresa in just one night with a host version in the next episode, then why didn't he do the same to Elsie and not bother with the 'leave of absence' status if he is indeed the one who has her?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 14, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guys, what if William is in the future and MiB is in the present? :aaaaa:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Blackchamber posted:

I think one of the overlooked details is that when Bernard asks about Elsie the guy filling in for her says she went on leave. It suggests that whoever made her disappear has corporate admin functions to change her status. If Ford replaces Theresa in just one night with a host version in the next episode, then why didn't he do the same to Elsie and not bother with the 'leave of absence' status if he is indeed the one who has her?

Elsie is generally a nobody who does highly specialized technical labor, it's possible that you can't just drop any random host into her position without it being revealed. Theresa is generally an executive who's function is to boss people around and report to corporate, there's also the implication that Ford was planning to replace her all along and had Bernard record her mannerisms and prepare a host that emulates here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All I know is this is gonna be a GREAT rewatch after the season is finished.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

The arrows, how do they work?

They harness the power of nanotechnology IMO.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Elsie is generally a nobody who does highly specialized technical labor, it's possible that you can't just drop any random host into her position without it being revealed. Theresa is generally an executive who's function is to boss people around and report to corporate, there's also the implication that Ford was planning to replace her all along and had Bernard record her mannerisms and prepare a host that emulates here.

Why not? Bernard seems very knowledgeable about hosts and programming and he has been shown several times to do that job above what a 'supervisor' is probably required. Elsie seeks out Bernards help a few times so he clearly knows more than her, so theres no reason a host version couldn't fill in for her.

What is more important is that the symbol of the maze and the carvings were recognizable somewhat to Bernard as a point of interest as opposed to looking like nothing, and that he pointed Elsie in the right direction when she was off-track about it. If it wasn't simple improvisation and Bernard is acting on Ford's wishes its possible Ford wants Elsie to seek out the maze.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

withak posted:

They harness the power of nanotechnology IMO.

Metamaterials son.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

All I know is this is gonna be a GREAT rewatch after the season is finished.

Personally I think a legacy of this season will be the best rewatch ever.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

The arrows, how do they work?

The have a very basic AI. When pointed at a guest they are presented with Xeno's Paradox and stay fixed in place since motion is impossible.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teek posted:

In Jurassic Park, they bred the dinosaurs to have a lysine deficiency. They could only get it from the food fed to them in the park. I think in one of the epilogues, there was some line about rumors of escaped dinosaurs hanging around in corn fields on the mainland - eating naturally high lysine foods. Seems kind of "life finds a way" but that was the idea I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Teek posted:

Maeve will escape the park, but she won't melt because she will start eating plants that contain the right amino acids to keep her alive

e: god loving dammit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Regarding the hosts built to stay inside the facility, they could very easily just shut down once they leave the perimeter, like those shopping carts whose wheels lock up if you try to steal them from the store.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The hosts will start making their own Ketracel-white.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Blackchamber posted:

Why not? Bernard seems very knowledgeable about hosts and programming and he has been shown several times to do that job above what a 'supervisor' is probably required. Elsie seeks out Bernards help a few times so he clearly knows more than her, so theres no reason a host version couldn't fill in for her.

What is more important is that the symbol of the maze and the carvings were recognizable somewhat to Bernard as a point of interest as opposed to looking like nothing, and that he pointed Elsie in the right direction when she was off-track about it. If it wasn't simple improvisation and Bernard is acting on Ford's wishes its possible Ford wants Elsie to seek out the maze.

I'm not saying it's impossible, Bernard is clearly proof that hosts can do anything you want them to, I'm just saying that it's probably trickier to get a host to fill in for Elsie on such a short notice and on top of that that Ford has been preparing the Theresa replacement for at least a few days.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

We see Bernard searching on his phone for her location. When the computer comes up with "no location found" he seems more satisfied than concerned. If someone else had taken her, you'd expect him to do something. After all, she had discovered some of the park's secrets.

Did he? Since he had trouble grappling with finding out he was a host I don't think he'd be happy with her disappearing under mysterious circumstances because how would he understand why that would please him if he wasn't a host trying to cover the trail/secrets up?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Innocuous posted:

Also of note, this does fit with Ford quoting Charlotte's "blood sacrifice" line.

Which means either the exec's suit had a bug in there or the disabled cowboy/sexbot host was set to spy/open mic mode. I doubt the quote was coincidental.

Edit: Read thread first, then post, you idiot.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 14, 2016

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
If the host being built in the secret lab is Theresa, it could be that Ford is just using her to set up the circumstances for an "accidental" death so he can safely dump her real corpse without suspicion.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
In regards to 'holy poo poo are there three timelines of Delores????' Check out how empty that room is when she's talking with Bernard/Arnold??? in episode two.

And look at how much more cluttered it is once Ford's moved in by the time episode seven rolls around

And that's clearly in line with the poo poo we see cluttering Ford's office in the 'present' timeline.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Josh Lyman posted:

Regarding the hosts built to stay inside the facility, they could very easily just shut down once they leave the perimeter, like those shopping carts whose wheels lock up if you try to steal them from the store.

Maybe, but notice how she didn't lock up like the other hosts when they took clementine.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So MiB is going to be a host that is flagged as a guest a la that tech, right?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So MiB is going to be a host that is flagged as a guest a la that tech, right?

I highly doubt it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah the guy bothering him on his vacation would also have to be a host.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

This show is so much better than it has a right to be.

It would be absolutely hilarious if Theresa was the only human in the room during the Clementine demonstration. Ford could just be that crazy and that bored.

Dolores (painful) and Maeve's (intoxicating) names kind of inform their paths to consciousness, don't you think? Forced along by outside actors (MiB, Ford, William) versus using mental will and lucid dreaming techniques to get "self-woke".

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maeve and the two stupid butchers is still the worst part of the show.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

By far.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

DoctorGonzo posted:

That's my favourite part.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maeve's bits are the only part that feels disconnected from the central mysteries but I am still curious about the whole thing, there's a possibility that she's the only host who achieved self-awareness all on her own (while the others are being manipulated by Ford\Arnold), so there's some potential there.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That's my favourite part.

Same.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Darko posted:

Now i want to rewatch the series from the start.

This is how I feel now, too. Might have to rewatch and pay close attention to whenever a character says something along the lines of "doesn't look like anything to me."

I expect there will be a few more reveals of characters we thought human actually being hosts. Ford himself could've built himself a robot body with all his memories and consciousness in order to achieve immortality. I think MiB could well be a special host built by Ford (black hats!) to try and brute force a path to the center of the maze. I suspect a lot of other employees could be hosts too.

It was pretty obvious they are going to replace Theresa with a bot. Ford is God within the park but he can't just disappear someone, it'll be noticed. Plus he had Bernard get really good personality readings from her, and the host being assembled in the secret basement lab was a pretty obvious hint towards her fate.

With Ford's talk at the end there, he reminds me more of God in the Garden of Eden. He doesn't let the hosts feel anxiety or all these other negative emotions that plague human existence-- they haven't tasted of the forbidden fruit.

Bernard could well be the actual Arnold, or just as likely Ford killed the human Arnold and Bernard is his replacement.

It looks like Ford's control is unraveling though given Maeve attempting an escape and Bernard resisting Ford in the previews.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Hey guys, I found a leaked picture proving the two-timelines theory. It's pretty detailed though so make sure you look over it carefully.

timg'ed for spoilers.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I wonder how the hosts are powered. If Maeve escapes the park, how long until she powers down for lack of robot juice or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maeve's bits are the only part that feels disconnected from the central mysteries but I am still curious about the whole thing, there's a possibility that she's the only host who achieved self-awareness all on her own (while the others are being manipulated by Ford\Arnold), so there's some potential there.

Yeah I could see her battling Ford in the future. Even more so if Ford is a rogue AI.

• Locked thread