Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

HannibalBarca posted:

do i even have to say it at this point

Of it makes you feel better, Hillary was so bad she probably would've lost to anyone.

Except maybe Jeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

How did the Democrats gently caress up THIS BAD!?

Not just this year, but pretty much how it snowballed into this.

Why didn't the alarms ring after 2010?

I kinda of found my answer.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tim Canova ain't too big on Ellison for DNC chair.

I don't know how to feel about this -- in the MTP clip he linked, he doesn't really address Chuck Todd's question on whether the Clinton "brand" had become tainted, instead focusing on Trump.

On one hand, to hell with Chuck Todd, but on the other, I honestly don't know if taking the diplomatic road w/r/t how badly Clinton blew it like an egg fart in an elevator is a bad idea.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
It took less than a week for the cspam election thread to go back to unironic "hillary is actually good" and "all men are misogynists" so i'm not sure if this rebuilding thing is going to work out exactly as planned lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

I mean I actually don't disagree with the idea that a Clinton v Trump campaign was a best-case scenario for Clinton

Just, y'know, not for anyone else

e: actually this is Pre-Election Thinking on my part, any of the other GOP candidates apart from possibly Cruz would have lacked Trump's populist/"populist" appeal and it would have been a more traditional-style election which Clinton would have had a decent shot at

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just saying, once more - if you can, attend your local meetings. It will be about ten thousand times more meaningful than an email or letter, and a thousand times more meaningful than a phone call.

These meetings actually matter - and stay afterwards and talk to the staffers and come back with info for us on how to get more involved in the future.

Zo posted:

It took less than a week for the cspam election thread to go back to unironic "hillary is actually good" and "all men are misogynists" so i'm not sure if this rebuilding thing is going to work out exactly as planned lol

And this is with all the Hill toxxers banned? Actually I suppose most of them bought back their accounts by now... ugh.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake posted:

tbf Bernie said he would work with trump on infrastructure so this could just be posturing

yeah i think its posturing to be able to say "hey this guy didnt do anything he promised"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HannibalBarca posted:

Didn't some of the emails from Podesta show that they encouraged the media to treat Trump seriously in order to make Rubio and others take more extreme positions and weaken them for the general?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Tim Canova ain't too big on Ellison for DNC chair.

I don't know how to feel about this -- in the MTP clip he linked, he doesn't really address Chuck Todd's question on whether the Clinton "brand" had become tainted, instead focusing on Trump.

On one hand, to hell with Chuck Todd, but on the other, I honestly don't know if taking the diplomatic road w/r/t how badly Clinton blew it like an egg fart in an elevator is a bad idea.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If we're too worried about "WHAT ABOUT THE CLINTONS :byodood:", then we're learning nothing.

The other thing is it could very well be Canova trying to get back at Bernie for effectively abandoning him and letting DWS win her seat again. Who the gently caress knows.

iospace has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Nov 14, 2016

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

This is very good stuff. How though? How do we keep the "pressure" on this lovely coalition? I'm not a reporter, so I'll never get to ask a question in an interview or at a press conference. Is this a thing we could actually use twitter for? What if I/we false-frog attack (I'm extremely great for inventing the term false-frog attack) and make a shitload of pepe twitters that inundate Paul Ryan and Reince with terrible Bannon poo poo or vice versa?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

This is very good stuff. How though? How do we keep the "pressure" on this lovely coalition? I'm not a reporter, so I'll never get to ask a question in an interview or at a press conference.

Yeah, this is the problem. Neither will they.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
So, let's go to Florida and try and help out...

:bang:

Any tips?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Thoguh posted:

Didn't some of the emails from Podesta show that they encouraged the media to treat Trump seriously in order to make Rubio and others take more extreme positions and weaken them for the general?

Yes and Bill Clinton called trump several times before the primaries to help him organize.

The clintons are life long friends of donald trump and set this up to be an easy win for their selves then after running "a perfect campaign" hosed it up.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Call and email

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

temple posted:

My point was that boo-hoo'ing about dem politicians is missing the bigger picture and griping about the fact that people aren't perfect.

No, no it isn't. They took the reigns and steered us off a cliff. They failed the left in our country's dire hour of need. They need to be replaced. They don't deserve a second chance because they're trying their best and their hearts are in the right place or whatever. I won't accept this line of apologia. And I loving knew this "Won't somebody please think of the poor DWS faction?" would pop up before long.

quote:

Dems are inept but professionals of all classes have inept people, dems flaws are more public.

This is really pathetic playing the victim. Republican flaws aren't exactly a national secret.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

So, let's go to Florida and try and help out...

:bang:

Any tips?

FL is reaaaaally hosed right now (like more so than usual) so this is unsurprising. When I start college again (Orlando) ill be working with the college dems there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Jive posted:

This is really pathetic playing the victim. Republican flaws aren't exactly a national secret.

It is and isn't. How long did Clinton's poo poo stay in the public eye vs say Trump's? If they both did the same thing, how come Clinton's actions got 9001 more coverage than Trump's? Republicans always seem to be caught in scandals, but they never seem to face any punishment for it.

e: this isn't a defense of Clinton's actions in so far as "if she did/didn't do this, we would have won", it's the fact that RWM knows how to keep scandals alive and LWM/MSM pretty much only covers them until the clicks stop.

e2: this year that effectiveness showed its worth. They successfully demonized Clinton to the point where everything was a scandal for her. Everything. I think it's time we fight fire with fire, personally.

iospace has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Nov 14, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/798184450895081474

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wish I could start a liberal InfoWars (OK, no I don't) to convince people that Russia and China colluded to sabotage the election so that we'd try to renegotiate on trade deals and that they're going to team up to make the US side of the deals far worse and then buy up all of our debt in the ensuing recession.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So ... Are local dem meetings confined to town/city residents only? Took a look at RI's democratic meeting schedule and it seems like every town holds them except for the loving capital city ...

How do i get involved locally when my own locale doesn't even host meetings???

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

iospace posted:

How long did Clinton's poo poo stay in the public eye vs say Trump's? If they both did the same thing, how come Clinton's actions got 9001 more coverage than Trump's?

I hope someone can quantify this someday but Trump wasn't given a free pass at all. He made so many gaffes and scandals that people stopped caring.

Recall that Dean Banquet, executive editor of the NYT, publicly said he would be willing to face jail time for publishing Trump's tax returns in order to sink his campaign.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

If we're too worried about "WHAT ABOUT THE CLINTONS :byodood:", then we're learning nothing.

The other thing is it could very well be Canova trying to get back at Bernie for effectively abandoning him and letting DWS win her seat again. Who the gently caress knows.

Good point. There'll be enough time for pissing on the Clinton legacy once the progressives have taken over.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Venom Snake posted:

FL is reaaaaally hosed right now (like more so than usual) so this is unsurprising. When I start college again (Orlando) ill be working with the college dems there.

What can I do now, besides calling my Representative and Senator? Try to angle for an internship?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

tadashi posted:

I wish I could start a liberal InfoWars (OK, no I don't) to convince people that Russia and China colluded to sabotage the election

You don't have to, that was the official party line of the DNC. The Obama administration formally accused Russia of interfering. It was a centerpiece of Clinton's third debate.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Losing the election against Donald Trump should probably count as identity fraud considering Clinton built herself up as a tough, competent ur-stateswoman but it turned out she was just a cowardly, disorganized political science nerd instead. :smugdon:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

Yo lets get connected Im in Orlando
Email me at

mike.clarke7788@gmail.com

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/798188746067808257

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What can I do now, besides calling my Representative and Senator? Try to angle for an internship?

Calling (local) offices is something. Internships/volunteering probably won't start up till the fires dim down a bit since it IS the first week after the election. Individually one person is just screaming into the avoid. But when you have a LOT of people making it clear what they want (which seems to be team Sanders strategy) then stuff really starts moving. In the mean time Id look up local advocacy groups that might need help. Protests are fun to!

The most important time to get out and work IMO will be when the progressives finally raise the flag above the DNC.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I emailed both the Chair and Vice Chair of the Virginia Democratic Party to advocate for Ellison as DNC Chair. I tried to call them, because apparently calling is often more effective. Well their number went straight to some weird generic voicemail, so whatevs. I'm also considering emailing/calling my senators (including perpetual stepdad Kaine) to ask them what steps they're taking to push back against any of Trump's draconian deportation orders.

Might call the governor's office for good measure? I dunno, I just feel like I should do something!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/798192678785716224

yeah he's mad

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mr. Jive posted:

I hope someone can quantify this someday but Trump wasn't given a free pass at all. He made so many gaffes and scandals that people stopped caring.

Recall that Dean Banquet, executive editor of the NYT, publicly said he would be willing to face jail time for publishing Trump's tax returns in order to sink his campaign.

I think that's the biggest :ironicat: for me, is that if anyone should know that scandals have a diminishing return on their impact, it would be the loving Clintons

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i agree with bernie and all and am heavily involved with the draft keith campaign.

but explicitly saying white working class instead of working class is not going to go down well with some of the people we need to win over in the democratic coalition

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr. Jive posted:

Also the Clinton camp had a talent for needlessly drawing stuff as they attempted to minimize it. How many times over the past year did something come out and Hillary first denied it and then eventually had to admit to whatever it was but went on the offensive to claim it wasn't a big deal. Hell, look at the Donna Brazile giving her questions thing. That was needlessly drawn out and the fact that they were caught lieing about it just reinforced all the negative beliefs people have about Hillary.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Phi230 posted:

Email me at

I live in South Florida, but I'd love to help any way I can, email me at

abrasiveobelisk@gmail.com

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Trump's scandals didn't hurt him (or at least, doom him) because he wasn't running a campaign built on the illusion of decency. Hillary was; being absolutely obsessed with making this election a referendum on decency when a large swathe of America is legitimately angry and scared was, in a word, ridiculous.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CherryCola posted:

I emailed both the Chair and Vice Chair of the Virginia Democratic Party to advocate for Ellison as DNC Chair. I tried to call them, because apparently calling is often more effective. Well their number went straight to some weird generic voicemail, so whatevs. I'm also considering emailing/calling my senators (including perpetual stepdad Kaine) to ask them what steps they're taking to push back against any of Trump's draconian deportation orders.

Might call the governor's office for good measure? I dunno, I just feel like I should do something!

I'm praying Tim doesn't resist the progressive take over. Thank you for your efforts. The more people doing this the more likely they sober up instead of moping in their own misery and the party needs VA solid blue now more than ever.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Trump's scandals didn't hurt him (or at least, doom him) because he wasn't running a campaign built on the illusion of decency. Hillary was; being absolutely obsessed with making this election a referendum on decency when a large swathe of America is legitimately angry and scared was, in a word, ridiculous.

Yeah this is more concisely my thoughts. I had this weird feeling after the Trump slanders a war vet scandal was quickly followed by the Trump yells at a baby scandal.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

Email me at

Ill be down in Orlando around mid December but if I hear anything I'll make sure you know. The college dems at UCF unironically had there poo poo together and are massive bernie supporters. I'm looking forward to doing stuff with them.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zikan posted:

i agree with bernie and all and am heavily involved with the draft keith campaign.

but explicitly saying white working class instead of working class is not going to go down well with some of the people we need to win over in the democratic coalition

If you have any material for me feel free to post it/PM it to me so I can put it in the OP. Your doing gods work my friend.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Clinton got more scandal coverage only in the sense that they proportionally got more coverage compared to how much they were really scandals. The loving emails kept coming back like herpes and poor it practice was being put side by side with breaking the Cuba embargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Zikan posted:

it's notable because specifically the white working class was his strongest base of support in the primaries, which shills everywhere used to call him a racist and then that whole group decided the election when they stayed home or crossed over to Trump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread