Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

iospace posted:

It's what I want.

Right now, the Democrats have to do this:

1. reorganize and fast. 2018 is going to be coming up quick.
2. get a solid policy down.
3. Figure out how to go about getting people elected.

Once's that done, for 2018:
4. Manage to keep the GOP Statehouses below the convention threshold.
5. Manage to keep under 60 GOP Senators.
6. Poach some house seats if possible.

Currently, the house can be written off as is, and it'll take a wave to flip it. Save that for 2020, though if 2018 is favorable enough, try there. Overplaying our hand in 2018 could cost us redistricting in 2020, which is why we need to stop the bleeding in 2018.

1st priority is to keep any amendments or a constitutional convention from happening. 2018 is a very favorable senate map for GOP pickups, so damage has to be limited there and how.

You're not wrong in any way but gently caress you for reminding me that the concept of a Trump/Pence lead constitutional convention isn't literally impossible and now I'll never sleep.

But yea hopefully the Dems just accept that congress is gonna be split for a good bit, but we can at least gently caress the senate up bad enough to hamstring the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Just do what I was planning on doing: quoting tweets from Nihilist Arbys

he prominently supporting hillary and dismissed bernie in the primary so i'm not sure i could make him feel any more nihilistic right now

i drat well can try though

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

How dire is the map for 2018 in terms of the potential for the 3/5th's statehouses needed for constitutional convention stuff? Is that pretty much the last chance we have of keeping them from that kind of power?

Hell has there ever been a point in the history of the country where one party had enough power to pass constitutional amendments?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RedneckwithGuns posted:

How dire is the map for 2018 in terms of the potential for the 3/5th's statehouses needed for constitutional convention stuff? Is that pretty much the last chance we have of keeping them from that kind of power?

Hell has there ever been a point in the history of the country where one party had enough power to pass constitutional amendments?

They need one more. I'm not loving joking.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Eh, that's from before the election results. It's easy to say when you believe you're going to win.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

iospace posted:

Only 1? I thought it was 5?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I don't believe the Constitutional Convention scare-hype (although if it's useful in making people turn out for local elections, well...)

republicans are god awful but there are some of them that will realize the unilaterally passing some constitutional amendment goes beyond party loyalty and is totally and 100% :stare:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

iospace posted:

It's what I want.

Currently, the house can be written off as is, and it'll take a wave to flip it. Save that for 2020, though if 2018 is favorable enough, try there. Overplaying our hand in 2018 could cost us redistricting in 2020, which is why we need to stop the bleeding in 2018.

1st priority is to keep any amendments or a constitutional convention from happening. 2018 is a very favorable senate map for GOP pickups, so damage has to be limited there and how.

oh i think i'm gonna puke

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RedneckwithGuns posted:

not quite 'dire' yet but if somehow we don't learn anything from last week then yes we're absolutely going to be in a situation where only a handful of morons aping trump's 'the foreigners took your jobs I'll make them give them back somehow' message can put us in that position.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-clinton-democrats-231301

obama and clinton talking to the dnc on monday.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

I don't believe the Constitutional Convention scare-hype (although if it's useful in making people turn out for local elections, well...)

republicans are god awful but there are some of them that will realize the unilaterally passing some constitutional amendment goes beyond party loyalty and is totally and 100% :stare:

I don't think there's much risk of it actually HAPPENING but the fact that they would have that level of control over politics is enough to make me a bit queasy at all.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
and what loving amendment could they pass? balanced budget? no abortion? "REPUBLICANS WIN FOREVER" amendment?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

and what loving amendment could they pass? balanced budget? no abortion? "REPUBLICANS WIN FOREVER" amendment?

abortion probs and some underhanded voting rights or moneyed interests thing.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

iospace posted:

It's what I want.

which amendment do you think they'll kill?

Is it the one stopping Trump from having a 3rd term?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

iospace posted:

oh god i'm gonna double puke

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

logikv9 posted:

I think specifically the idea is pretty nebulous right now, but the fact that they would have the ability to turn their god awful ideas into actual constitutional amendments is terrifying

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think there's much risk of it actually HAPPENING but the fact that they would have that level of control over politics is enough to make me a bit queasy at all.

Yeah, at the very least it would give them a powerful weapon they can use to threaten the Dems if they try to play hardball.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

iospace posted:

How did the Democrats gently caress up THIS BAD!?

Not just this year, but pretty much how it snowballed into this.

Why didn't the alarms ring after 2010?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

uh depending on who wins the inevitable power struggle in the right that's looming, yea poo poo like 'no abortion' and 'gently caress queers' and all are absolutely possible agenda items. On the other end I'm 100% positive the economic wing would try to force through some kinda 'right to work' bullshit as national policy to just finish unions off.

Shockingly, having the weight to possibly gently caress with our constitution means a lot of bad things can happen.

Moreover, even if you (probably rightly) don't think anything that level would happen, just the fact that there's that much of a power imbalance between the right and the left should be enough reason to not want to hit that benchmark.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one thing tho is state legislatures are much less... corruptible. there's a bunch of people who won't toe the line and are genuinely just enthusiastic about representing constituents. even in blue states theres lots of repub legislators that are just like "maybe less taxes but its cool"

i would bet there would be a few people actually honorable enough to fall on the sword for our country there. but betting on that is loving scary.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

zen death robot posted:

Revoke the 22nd

only after they repeal the 17th

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's really :ironicat: is that liberals were having lots of fun with the seemingly endless Trump-GOP drama and were predicting the inevitable collapse of the GOP after the election.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

this is clinton's one chance to partially redeem herself, just say "i was wrong" and let the bernie wing takeover

given how ungracefully she's taken the loss i'm fully expecting her to throw her weight behind some third way piece of poo poo

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Zikan posted:

this is clinton's one chance to partially redeem herself, just say "i was wrong" and let the bernie wing takeover

given how ungracefully she's taken the loss i'm fully expecting her to throw her weight behind some third way piece of poo poo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zikan posted:

if she's smart, she'll just throw it to whoever she thinks will actually win and start working behind the scenes for chelsea. i think she knows she's finished and has little political clout right now tbh.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

"The future of a party is clearly Cory Booker and Andrew Cuomo."

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

is there some some web 3.0 bullshit website for finding... I dunno... political campaigns to participate in? advocacy groups to help out? hope? any way to channel this anxiety and anger into something productive?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

the only clinton i'll accept seeing again is socks

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

What's really :ironicat: is that liberals were having lots of fun with the seemingly endless Trump-GOP drama and were predicting the inevitable collapse of the GOP after the election.

I kept telling people that they have to focus on the House, but they replied with "Demographics is Destiny" and to just wait it out 20 years because whites are too racist.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Smug certitude that they were morally right and would win in the long run

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sojenus posted:

the only clinton i'll accept seeing again is socks

I know things are tough but please do not dig up cat bones

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"the demos duke, the demos!"

"i'm colorblind, kid"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

anime was right posted:

"i'm colorblind, kid"

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know things are tough but please do not dig up cat bones

sorry but my enthusiasm for a clinton has been noted by Ada and they're now digging up buddy for his 2020 run

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

I unironically hope Zach yells at them too.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

anime was right posted:

"i'm colorblind, kid"

gently caress

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

iospace posted:

It's what I want.

2006 house election was an 8% difference, 2008 was a 10.6% difference, 2010 was a 6.8% difference, and 2014 was a 5.7% difference.

A 6% difference would make things close enough in the house that it could become a poo poo show, and an 8% to 10% difference is absolutely enough to flip the house.

Every midterm election in the last decade has been a wave election, and the largest waves this decade have been Democratic waves in response to an unpopular GOP president. The house can be in play you idiots, maybe don't sell yourselves short 700 days before the election even happens?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

also you don't need to actually pass a single thing, you'd just need enough D's to keep the GOP from passing anything

you need way less seats to logjam than you need to legislate

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

logikv9 posted:

you joke but...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/93787072778874880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm going to quote myself again because it's just so loving ridiuclous.

punk rebel ecks posted:

• Locked thread