Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I realize it is purely anecdotal, but as a rural white guy who voted Bernie, then Clinton, part of my argument for her weakness as a candidate was that republicans poisoned the well on her 20 years ago.

In my area, her opposition wasn't based on policy and email/corruption was mostly an afterthought. They established they vehemently disliked Clinton before they had even become politically active. The Texan Ag official wasn't the only one dropping the C word, let me tell you.

The lesson from the primary should have been that there was a viable candidate that didn't have the kind of baggage Clinton did, appealed to independents and energized young voters. Regardless of her capabilities as a politician, she and her staff snuffed out the very thing they needed most in the election.

If nothing else, the next primaries need to be open to independents in every state and special weight needs to be given to the candidate who performs best in swing states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Can you imagine what would actually happen if a major faithless elector incident actually reversed the election results? No one would accept the legitimacy of the results (though it'd be kind of funny watching Trump argue that he should be president in spite of having won neither the electoral college vote nor the popular vote).

Like, the part of me that likes train wrecks would love to see this happen, but the part of me that likes a vaguely functioning democracy...well, all right, that part of me won't be satisfied no matter what.

Not that it will happen anyway.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

there would be a legit domestic uprising

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

docbeard posted:

Can you imagine what would actually happen if a major faithless elector incident actually reversed the election results? No one would accept the legitimacy of the results (though it'd be kind of funny watching Trump argue that he should be president in spite of having won neither the electoral college vote nor the popular vote).

Like, the part of me that likes train wrecks would love to see this happen, but the part of me that likes a vaguely functioning democracy...well, all right, that part of me won't be satisfied no matter what.

Yeah isn't there that weird SC precedent that says states can only punish faithless electors, not actually force them to change their votes?

It's always the mirage on the horizon for every losing candidates most bitter dead-enders, but kind of funny to think it's technically possible. Like the Queen of England just voiding laws Parliament passes.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Day Crew, may I share something with you? A vision I had in my sleep last night—as distinguished from a dream, which is a mere sorting and cataloguing of the day’s events by the subconscious. This was a vision: fresh and clear as a mountain stream, the mind revealing itself to itself. In my vision I was on the veranda of a vast estate, a palazzo of some fantastic proportion. There seemed to emanate from it a light, from within this gleaming, radiant marble. I had known this place. I had, in fact, been born and raised there, and this was my first return—a reunion with the deepest wellsprings of my being. Wandering about, I noticed happily that the house had been immaculately maintained. There had been added a number of additional rooms, but in a way that blended so seamlessly with the original construction, one would never detect any difference. Returning to the house’s grand foyer, there came a knock at the door. Day Crew was standing there. They were happy and carefree, clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy. We embraced—a warm and loving embrace, nothing withheld. We were, in this moment, one. My vision ended. I awoke with a tremendous feeling of optimism and confidence in you and your future. That was my vision. It was you.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess I would rather have Trump than a total breakdown of our government/society

I mean low bar and all but still

Serf
May 5, 2011

I wouldn't want that to happen because it would re-validate the neoliberals and our moment of Truth and Reconciliation would be cut short before we finish wiping them out

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Turdfuzz posted:

AAAAARRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NofrikinfuN posted:

I realize it is purely anecdotal, but as a rural white guy who voted Bernie, then Clinton, part of my argument for her weakness as a candidate was that republicans poisoned the well on her 20 years ago.

In my area, her opposition wasn't based on policy and email/corruption was mostly an afterthought. They established they vehemently disliked Clinton before they had even become politically active. The Texan Ag official wasn't the only one dropping the C word, let me tell you.

The lesson from the primary should have been that there was a viable candidate that didn't have the kind of baggage Clinton did, appealed to independents and energized young voters. Regardless of her capabilities as a politician, she and her staff snuffed out the very thing they needed most in the election.

If nothing else, the next primaries need to be open to independents in every state and special weight needs to be given to the candidate who performs best in swing states.

The thing about being a presumptive nominee, much less telegraphing your intent to be President ever since your husband left the White House, is that your opponents can run oppo on you way way WAY before the campaign actually starts.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Day Crew, may I share something with you? A vision I had in my sleep last night—as distinguished from a dream, which is a mere sorting and cataloguing of the day’s events by the subconscious. This was a vision: fresh and clear as a mountain stream, the mind revealing itself to itself. In my vision I was on the veranda of a vast estate, a palazzo of some fantastic proportion. There seemed to emanate from it a light, from within this gleaming, radiant marble. I had known this place. I had, in fact, been born and raised there, and this was my first return—a reunion with the deepest wellsprings of my being. Wandering about, I noticed happily that the house had been immaculately maintained. There had been added a number of additional rooms, but in a way that blended so seamlessly with the original construction, one would never detect any difference. Returning to the house’s grand foyer, there came a knock at the door. Day Crew was standing there. They were happy and carefree, clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy. We embraced—a warm and loving embrace, nothing withheld. We were, in this moment, one. My vision ended. I awoke with a tremendous feeling of optimism and confidence in you and your future. That was my vision. It was you.

*that freaky-rear end shot with Bob climbing over the couch but it's Trump instead*

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

docbeard posted:

Honestly it's really hard for me to sympathize with most of the people getting so upset about the electoral college. Not only has this already happened, but if Hillary had won we wouldn't have seen jack poo poo and a lot of those people would go back to only caring about politics once every 4 years.

But for the electoral college to end up being the thing that gets Hillary elected in the 13th hour? :discourse:

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Nichael posted:

What? I'm very skeptical about laying the blame solely on Clinton. I honestly think she was too good for this loving nation, and I say that as someone who voted Sanders in the primary. Her only fault was her lack of circus-like energy, and the only reason that's a "fault" is because American voters are too braindead to react to anything but an orange clown babby.

I'm rather with you on this one. I'm not a huge Hillary fan, never have been, but the US electorate had a decision easier than "should I dip my genitals into this bucket of battery acid?" and managed to gently caress it up. She was perfectly qualified, the criticisms that can be made of her campaign are minor, and on principle and as a matter of fact the actual choice of president is down to the people, not the nominees. And we're now in a position where we literally can't even usefully speculate what's going to happen. You'd think that we might hope for Trump just being wholly unprepared to do anything of note, but even that indicates that we'll get all manner of evil poo poo coming out of the GOP and Putin making some interesting geopolitical moves. Sooo.

But I feel less embarrassed about that whole Brexit business now, so there's that.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Anybody betting against American voters being stupid and reactionary just gets a lol honestly. Just lol

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

This headline was just shown on my local news: "Trump Reportedly Surprised by Scope of President's Job."

Other than the standard "well no poo poo he is," what did I miss while I took a break from politics this weekend?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Perfectly Safe posted:

I'm rather with you on this one. I'm not a huge Hillary fan, never have been, but the US electorate had a decision easier than "should I dip my genitals into this bucket of battery acid?" and managed to gently caress it up. She was perfectly qualified, the criticisms that can be made of her campaign are minor, and on principle and as a matter of fact the actual choice of president is down to the people, not the nominees. And we're now in a position where we literally can't even usefully speculate what's going to happen. You'd think that we might hope for Trump just being wholly unprepared to do anything of note, but even that indicates that we'll get all manner of evil poo poo coming out of the GOP and Putin making some interesting geopolitical moves. Sooo.

But I feel less embarrassed about that whole Brexit business now, so there's that.

The job of a candidate is to convince the American public to vote for them, then to govern. Hillary didn't do that, and ignored the signs pointing to her defeat. Maybe it was her campaign manager's being incompetent. But she still holds the responsibility of being in charge of the whole operation, just like President's have responsibility for things that happen in their administration.

Beet Wagon posted:

Anybody betting against American voters being stupid and reactionary just gets a lol honestly. Just lol

Sure, but at least David Duke didn't win. So maybe there's a limit somewhere?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

El Mero Mero posted:

I also just kinda realized that the theory that trump will gently caress off and disappear for four years and leave everything to his cronies is flawed because the guy is incapable of not occupying a spotlight.

He's going to be on every talk show and respond to every media inquiry for 4 years - the upside of which is that maybe someone will tell him something that his cadre won't?

I'm going to savor the burnout when people are sick of hearing and seeing him every day. I was already at that point two weeks ago.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I would rather have Trump than a total breakdown of our government/society

I have a suspicion this is what the people investigating Russian election tampering are telling themselves in between drinks. Those FISA warrants are not easy to get, and they've got one for the "russian" server in the Trump campaign. I doubt we'll ever find out more about it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

comingafteryouall posted:

The job of a candidate is to convince the American public to vote for them, then to govern. Hillary didn't do that, and ignored the signs pointing to her defeat. Maybe it was her campaign manager's being incompetent. But she still holds the responsibility of being in charge of the whole operation, just like President's have responsibility for things that happen in their administration.

To be fair to them, all the polls had them up. What we've learned (hopefully) is to never trust polls again and fight hard until election day.

Americans generally don't like overt racism, but we love the much more common subtle racism. It's a turn-off to appear like a gross bigot, but approached from the other direction it can be made palatable when it is dressed up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well to be fair he had a hard time finding an Adolf Hitler impersonator who was really willing to commit to the role and be his running mate. 2020 is gonna be a hell of a race when he finds his guy though.

I will say it's sort of satisfying watching John Oliver poo poo his pants about Trump (and blame the media for not taking him seriously) after months and months of treating this whole thing like a big loving joke. It's not worth having Trump as the President, but it's a small consolation.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Honestly it's really hard for me to sympathize with most of the people getting so upset about the electoral college. Not only has this already happened, but if Hillary had won we wouldn't have seen jack poo poo and a lot of those people would go back to only caring about politics once every 4 years.

But for the electoral college to end up being the thing that gets Hillary elected in the 13th hour? :discourse:

I mean, I can certainly sympathize since I don't exactly want a bunch of incompetent authoritarian white supremacists running the country for the next 4-8 years either, but I feel like the path forward is, well

Serf posted:

I wouldn't want that to happen because it would re-validate the neoliberals and our moment of Truth and Reconciliation would be cut short before we finish wiping them out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zikan posted:

there would be a legit domestic uprising

We can put down domestic uprisings, and have demonstrated as much. Can't unfuck international diplomacy or un-nuke Mecca that's for sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Im finally emotionally stable enough to look at news again

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lord of Pie posted:

It was on 60 Minutes last night. Here's the text of it:

Lesley Stahl: Now, for months, you were running around saying that the system is rigged, the whole thing was rigged. You tweeted once that the Electoral College is a disaster for democracy.

Donald Trump: I do.

Lesley Stahl: So do you still think it’s rigged?

Donald Trump: Well, I think the electoral ca-- look, I won with the Electoral College.

Lesley Stahl: Exactly.But do you think--

Donald Trump: You know, it’s--

Lesley Stahl: --it’s rigged?

Donald Trump: Yeah, some of the election locations are. Some of the system is. I hated--

Lesley Stahl: Even though you won you’re saying that--

Donald Trump: I hated-- well, you know, I’m not going to change my mind just because I won. But I would rather see it where you went with simple votes. You know, you get 100 million votes and somebody else gets 90 million votes and you win. There’s a reason for doing this because it brings all the states into play. Electoral College and there’s something very good about that. But this is a different system. But I respect it. I do respect the system.

This sounds like the answer Hillary would have given if asked about campaign finance reform had she won.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Potato or potato at this point

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

euphronius posted:

Im finally emotionally stable enough to look at news again

:spooky:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Well to be fair he had a hard time finding an Adolf Hitler impersonator who was really willing to commit to the role and be his running mate. 2020 is gonna be a hell of a race when he finds his guy though.

I will say it's sort of satisfying watching John Oliver poo poo his pants about Trump (and blame the media for not taking him seriously) after months and months of treating this whole thing like a big loving joke. It's not worth having Trump as the President, but it's a small consolation.

i will admit its nice seeing all the beautiful people lose their poo poo, guess it takes more than them smiling radiantly at getting paid 10k to say theyre with her to win an election

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If don trump is the political force which abolished the ec hmm well ok that's pretty good

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah losing the battle might win the war. It's going to be a painful defeat though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Serf posted:

To be fair to them, all the polls had them up. What we've learned (hopefully) is to never trust polls again and fight hard until election day.

National polls ended up fairly accurate, didn't they? They had her with an average of 3% lead nationally. She had a 1% lead. 2 points off is not that bad.

State polls, well, that's different.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Beet Wagon posted:

WHY DONT THEY TAKE ME SERIOUSLY

THEY SHOULD TAKE ME AS SERIOUSLY AS I TAKE MY ATTRACTION TO THE GREEN M&M

*cue laughs*

THE WORLD IS ALREADY SCREWED UP, MARS INCORPORATED, I DON'T NEED YOUR COMMERCIALS GETTING ME HORNY ABOUT SNACKS

*cue laughs*

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Senf posted:

This headline was just shown on my local news: "Trump Reportedly Surprised by Scope of President's Job."

Other than the standard "well no poo poo he is," what did I miss while I took a break from politics this weekend?

a higher up in trump's transition team honestly asked if some of the staffers from the obama admin would stay. traditionally they all leave.

trump said that he wants to be in washington 5 days a week and spend 2 in nyc. the presidency is a 7 day a week job.

obama is reportedly going to stay on and advise trump for much longer then normal due to what he doesn't know

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/797294479904571393

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/797295051445587968

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

WHY DONT THEY TAKE ME SERIOUSLY

THEY SHOULD TAKE ME AS SERIOUSLY AS I TAKE MY ATTRACTION TO THE GREEN M&M

*cue laughs*

THE WORLD IS ALREADY SCREWED UP, MARS INCORPORATED, I DON'T NEED YOUR COMMERCIALS GETTING ME HORNY ABOUT SNACKS

*cue laughs*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

National polls ended up fairly accurate, didn't they? They had her with an average of 3% lead nationally. She had a 1% lead. 2 points off is not that bad.

State polls, well, that's different.

Fla and nc polls all had trump up at various Times

The polls were real wrong in wis mi and pa

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Serf posted:

Here's another thing the polls can't account for.
Have you ever been standing on the roof of a tall building, and wonder what it would be like to just get a running start and jump as far as you can? You know it's going to end really badly, but you also know that minute or 2 before you hit the ground will be the most glorious feeling anyone can ever experience and you'll never know what its like unless you find out for yourself. That's what it's like being in a voting booth and seeing Donald J. Trump on the ballot. I'll admit I thought about it, I even pushed the button next to his name and stared at it before sighing and switching it back to Clinton. How many people voted Trump, just to see what it will be like?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I enjoy Last Week Tonight and John Oliver when they do their investigative segments that highlight important issues, but the way he treated Trump this election is just unforgivable. Media dogs will be brought to heel in the Trumpenreich and he will follow Trevor Noah and Jimmy Fallon by bending the knee.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
oh my god yes THE PRODUCERS: Presidential Edition

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Considering he was raising campaign funds to pay himself , it's really not that far off from the pprducers. Nazi themes and all

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

Here's another thing the polls can't account for.
Have you ever been standing on the roof of a tall building, and wonder what it would be like to just get a running start and jump as far as you can? You know it's going to end really badly, but you also know that minute or 2 before you hit the ground will be the most glorious feeling anyone can ever experience and you'll never know what its like unless you find out for yourself. That's what it's like being in a voting booth and seeing Donald J. Trump on the ballot. I'll admit I thought about it, I even pushed the button next to his name and stared at it before sighing and switching it back to Clinton. How many people voted Trump, just to see what it will be like?

I suppose if sapience is about to be selected against then at least those people will have been vindicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

has anyone made analogies to robert from game of thrones yet

looking forward to melania finally killing him by getting him shitfaced during a boar hunt

• Locked thread