Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Whenever people say mass effect 2 is pretty much perfect, I always have to wonder if I missed something when fighting the giant terminator final boss thing. Because as a vanguard, you can't charge him, you can't really shotgun him either, so you get this lovely climactic flight where you gradually pistol the final boss to death. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mass Effect 2 is also fun to play though. While I found the run up the Citadel spine visually interesting, it still came off as a slog due to ME1's wonky combat.

Xad posted:

Whenever people say mass effect 2 is pretty much perfect, I always have to wonder if I missed something when fighting the giant terminator final boss thing. Because as a vanguard, you can't charge him, you can't really shotgun him either, so you get this lovely climactic flight where you gradually pistol the final boss to death. :geno:

I feel like I dodged several gameplay bullets by always playing space wizard. In the first case, using Lift or Push on the Citadel spire insta-killed the hardest enemies, while being able to detonate powers did lots for the reaper baby.

There's always Chora's Den and Liara's Krogan though loving things up for me :argh:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Xad posted:

Have you met our lord and savior, Jesus Christ the Cain?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think I've ever tried to fight fair on the Reaper-Larvae in ME2. Two shots from the Cain, kablammo roll credits.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think I've ever tried to fight fair on the Reaper-Larvae in ME2. Two shots from the Cain, kablammo roll credits.

I've never even considered that there was an alternative to this.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Big Bidness posted:

I've never even considered that there was an alternative to this.

I mean it seems pretty obvious to bring the gigantic nuke launcher on the game's final mission

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Xad posted:

Shotguns work absurdly well on the final boss due to the size of its hitbox. Not being able to charge is a little lame.

e: Yeah I've never not Cained it to death either.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel a vague sense of satisfaction seeing all that poo poo cleared off, but I dunno if I'd consider that actual enjoyment. It's hard to explain. It's simultaneously an annoying necessity and something that triggers VERY SLIGHTLY the pleasure centers of my brain.

Needless to say I'm a total goddamn sucker for Ubisoft collectathon games.

It's like you've got your full-attention games, and you've got your podcast games. Sometimes it's nice to listen to something while also running around a map doing whatever simple little tasks.

It's actually more annoying with DA:I because the game kept having companions chatting or like a quest would appear and it wouldn't be interesting enough that you'd feel good about stopping your music and unmuting the TV, but also it's like plot or characterisation isn't that why you're meant to be playing this game?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mass Effect 2 is also fun to play though. While I found the run up the Citadel spine visually interesting, it still came off as a slog due to ME1's wonky combat.

It was pretty fun to use biotics to throw enemies right off the map, though. I missed that in ME2 and ME3. The explosions were cool, but nothing was quite as fun as using lift and watching a Krogan sail off into space while you kept going up the Citadel.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ME2 is far from perfect

I felt like the collectors came outta nowhere and I would have preferred more reaper stuff to set everything up for ME3. The terminator baby was shiiiiiiit

Collecting the team and the suicide mission was cool and good though, but at the end of ME2 it felt like you had just been on a side adventure because the great big looming doomsday fuckery of the reapers you learned of in ME1 is still there at the end of ME2 with not much having changed

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zzulu posted:

ME2 is far from perfect

I felt like the collectors came outta nowhere and I would have preferred more reaper stuff to set everything up for ME3. The terminator baby was shiiiiiiit

Collecting the team and the suicide mission was cool and good though, but at the end of ME2 it felt like you had just been on a side adventure because the great big looming doomsday fuckery of the reapers you learned of in ME1 is still there at the end of ME2 with not much having changed

You ruined their last chance backup plan and destroyed the agents in the galaxy they had been trying to hide.

This forced them to slowboat from the galactic void and, assuming some basic things like 'they actually needed their plan in the first place', it allowed the player to think that there was a narrative reason to confronting them head on and winning.

But then ME3 said that they could have just not bothered with any of that.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Codependent Poster posted:

It was pretty fun to use biotics to throw enemies right off the map, though. I missed that in ME2 and ME3. The explosions were cool, but nothing was quite as fun as using lift and watching a Krogan sail off into space while you kept going up the Citadel.

Clearly you weren't using Pull and Throw enough. :colbert: Hearing enemies scream as they sail off over the horizon from a well-curved Throw is incredibly satisfying. That alone was enough to make me pick Adept on my most recent ME2 playthrough.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 14, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I liked the Collectors a lot as an antagonist race and I'm glad Bioware apparently said they didn't all die at the end

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Eej posted:

Still cooler than the Reaper story we got which was basically the same thing as Star Control 3, itself not a very good game.

Holy poo poo you're right. Even down to the precursor/Prothean return from the grave.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

But then ME3 said that they could have just not bothered with any of that.

ME3 is hilarious in the fact that it throws out everything Shepard accomplished in the previous two games because it turns out, the Reapers were only a couple years away in dark space and no one chose to do anything until the last second anyways.

And then Starchild comes in at the end, "Did you know you could control the Reapers or Synthesize with them instead of trying to destroy them for three whole games lolscrub."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
me3 is pretty bad apart from the multiplayer which is pretty good

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

wookieepelt posted:

Holy poo poo you're right. Even down to the precursor/Prothean return from the grave.

I think I'm starting to feel a little crazy cause it seems like I'm the only person who has ever made this connection.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The best part about playing ME2 was playing on the hardest difficulty and actually getting to hear the Harbinger talk poo poo to you and your teammates, whereas generally you instagibbed him as soon as he arrived on pretty much every difficulty below that. Also it was funny how your party members died almost instantly in every moderately tough fight because they can't handle the higher difficulty settings for no apparent reason.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zzulu posted:

ME2 is far from perfect

The Collectors came out of nowhere between ME1 and 2 sure but they were well explained so it's not like they were a throwaway villain just for ME2.

The Terminator baby would have been a lot more understandable if they went with the original idea for the Reapers instead of the dumb dumb poo poo they pulled in ME3. But without that it seemed like a dumb throwaway boss that existed just to have a boss fight at the end of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Thor-Stryker posted:

ME3 is hilarious in the fact that it throws out everything Shepard accomplished in the previous two games because it turns out, the Reapers were only a couple years away in dark space and no one chose to do anything until the last second anyways.

This is poorly explained by the plot but I think the implication is that since the Reapers didn't have direct access to the Citadel thanks to Shepard and those meddling kids, they couldn't shut down all galactic civilization outright, which gave the Council races some time to organize a defense.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

exquisite tea posted:

This is poorly explained by the plot but I think the implication is that since the Reapers didn't have direct access to the Citadel thanks to Shepard and those meddling kids, they couldn't shut down all galactic civilization outright, which gave the Council races some time to organize a defense.

Except that the Reapers were still hilariously powerful enough to invade every important planet simultaneously, but were somehow deterred by the Citadel fleets when their ultimate victory condition (and retconned boss) resided?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All very good points, but on the other hand, video games.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always have felt I cheated myself in me2 by looking up who to put in the vents at the end.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

exquisite tea posted:

I'm playing through ME3 for the first time ever right now, and that's what I was expecting, but it turns out that nope, even after Shepard was right all those other times, the council still decided to sit around with their fingers in their ears going LA LA LA LA LA when told the reapers were coming. That's the part that really got old to me over the course of the series: everyone in the game talks about how massive a figure Shepard has become and how huge an impact Shepard has had and how everyone wants to name their baby Shepard now because Shepard has killed multiple reapers and defeated the geth and saved so many lives across the galaxy, and yet this huge galactic council still goes, "Reapers? I dunno about that, sounds a little far-fetched," whenever they get brought up and then gets caught off guard when reapers actually show up.

That said, I'm still enjoying the game despite the wonkiness of the plot and dialogue. I don't remember everything being so overwrought and forced in ME2, but I haven't played in a while so maybe I just don't remember enough of it.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 14, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Council being in deep denial about serious problems until they're right in their face is probably the most realistic portrayal of leadership they could have done.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

euphronius posted:

I always have felt I cheated myself in me2 by looking up who to put in the vents at the end.

uh, who else were you going to send besides Tali/Legion?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Levantine posted:

The Collectors came out of nowhere between ME1 and 2 sure but they were well explained so it's not like they were a throwaway villain just for ME2.

The Terminator baby would have been a lot more understandable if they went with the original idea for the Reapers instead of the dumb dumb poo poo they pulled in ME3. But without that it seemed like a dumb throwaway boss that existed just to have a boss fight at the end of the game.

I never got how the whole thing worked because the process seemed to be

1)Liquify People
2) Pump them into secret chamber
3) ????????????????????????????????????????
4) Terminator baby!

When up until that point Reapers had been based off of the leviathans and weren't made of metal made out of liquified people.

Zore posted:

uh, who else were you going to send besides Tali/Legion?

Hey man Jacob volunteered.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

exquisite tea posted:

The Council being in deep denial about serious problems until they're right in their face is probably the most realistic portrayal of leadership they could have done.

That's true, but I play this game so I can headbutt a frogman until we are friends, so the realistic portrayal of politics is low on my priority list

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Eej posted:

Mac Walters is the guy who locked himself in a room huffing his own farts until he came up with the ME3 original ending right.

Reminder that yup Mac Walters is that guy and he's running this game RIP

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

the good fax machine posted:

So just a trailer, and a release date for a novel? Didn't they say they'd have more than just a trailer? Who the gently caress reads Mass Effect books

Bro let me tell you about Kai Leng.....

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Reminder that yup Mac Walters is that guy and he's running this game RIP

He's also probably responsible for a lot of the stuff you like about Mass Effect also.

I think the lead dude before he quit wrote Halo 4 so this game is doomed either way.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Bro let me tell you about Kai Leng.....

Why was he in ME3? I played through the whole series and some culturally confused Chinese cyborg ninja who got his rear end handed to him by a dying Drell really didn't add much to the story.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

exquisite tea posted:

He's also probably responsible for a lot of the stuff you like about Mass Effect also.

I think the lead dude before he quit wrote Halo 4 so this game is doomed either way.

He's garbage and ME3 was garbage from all story perspectives. Not solely the ending.

"My main issue with ME3 aside from the endings is that it in no way feels like a sequel to ME2. Everything looks as though it's taking place in the ME universe but that's just appearances. The Reapers make no sense, and most of what they do as villains contradicts what we know about them from previous games. And that whole shtick about guarding the galaxy against AI was such a complete asspull. The writing direction for ME3 was worse than anything Casey Hudson did. I would hope that if the lead writer for Andromeda is good, Walters at least has the good sense to greenlight his work."

The single redeeming thing about ME3 was the MP which is hilarious. 15 years ago you would have to,d me I'd be playing a bioware game for the MP and completely in spite of the story I would have laughed a long time.

This is a total wait and see game, I hope it isn't a narrative disaster but my money's on it. It's really too bad bioware took their prized self crafted and fully owned IP/setting and flushed it down the toilet lmao.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CaptainViolence posted:

I'm playing through ME3 for the first time ever right now, and that's what I was expecting, but it turns out that nope, even after Shepard was right all those other times, the council still decided to sit around with their fingers in their ears going LA LA LA LA LA when told the reapers were coming. That's the part that really got old to me over the course of the series: everyone in the game talks about how massive a figure Shepard has become and how huge an impact Shepard has had and how everyone wants to name their baby Shepard now because Shepard has killed multiple reapers and defeated the geth and saved so many lives across the galaxy, and yet this huge galactic council still goes, "Reapers? I dunno about that, sounds a little far-fetched," whenever they get brought up and then gets caught off guard when reapers actually show up.

That said, I'm still enjoying the game despite the wonkiness of the plot and dialogue. I don't remember everything being so overwrought and forced in ME2, but I haven't played in a while so maybe I just don't remember enough of it.

I've gone through the entire trilogy in the last week or so and ME3 is so totally more overwrought than ME2, even though the culmination of ME2 is literally called "Suicide Mission". ME3 has some real bad writing. The political bodies of the galaxy just sucked. Shepherd bought everyone time but they basically did sit with their fingers in their ears so any victory can basically be directly credited to him.

Kurieg posted:

I never got how the whole thing worked because the process seemed to be

1)Liquify People
2) Pump them into secret chamber
3) ????????????????????????????????????????
4) Terminator baby!

When up until that point Reapers had been based off of the leviathans and weren't made of metal made out of liquified people.

Hey man Jacob volunteered.

My understanding is the original plot had the Reapers as the good guys destroying races that got advanced enough to increase entropy in the universe. You saw it in Haestrom star in ME2 but since that plot was dropped it seemed like a total non-sequitor. In this original plot the reapers culled races and created new reapers from their genetic material as a way to preserve them. Whether that's better or worse, I can't say, but it certainly contextualizes events ME1 and 2 a lot better.

edit: yeah, Multiplayer in ME3 was the high point of the game, if not the series. Despite all its flaws, ME3 controls and plays like a dream and it really shines in MP. I'm not a big multiplayer shooter guy but I put more time into it on the Xbox 360 than I did probably all three games together.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I enjoyed ME3, including some of the story elements although the ending was the most :psypop: thing ever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Levantine posted:

My understanding is the original plot had the Reapers as the good guys destroying races that got advanced enough to increase entropy in the universe. You saw it in Haestrom star in ME2 but since that plot was dropped it seemed like a total non-sequitor. In this original plot the reapers culled races and created new reapers from their genetic material as a way to preserve them. Whether that's better or worse, I can't say, but it certainly contextualizes events ME1 and 2 a lot better.

Right but why are they making a giant skeleman rather than another cuttlefish. It also illuminates the problem with their philosophy since they're all robots made out of organics but the idea of an organic with a robot arm never occurred to them in any fashion.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

Right but why are they making a giant skeleman rather than another cuttlefish. It also illuminates the problem with their philosophy since they're all robots made out of organics but the idea of an organic with a robot arm never occurred to them in any fashion.
They make the "core" of the ship look like whatever race they've slurpeed and then build the cuttlefish around it.

...yeah

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

He's garbage and ME3 was garbage from all story perspectives. Not solely the ending.

"My main issue with ME3 aside from the endings is that it in no way feels like a sequel to ME2. Everything looks as though it's taking place in the ME universe but that's just appearances. The Reapers make no sense, and most of what they do as villains contradicts what we know about them from previous games. And that whole shtick about guarding the galaxy against AI was such a complete asspull. The writing direction for ME3 was worse than anything Casey Hudson did. I would hope that if the lead writer for Andromeda is good, Walters at least has the good sense to greenlight his work."

The single redeeming thing about ME3 was the MP which is hilarious. 15 years ago you would have to,d me I'd be playing a bioware game for the MP and completely in spite of the story I would have laughed a long time.

This is a total wait and see game, I hope it isn't a narrative disaster but my money's on it. It's really too bad bioware took their prized self crafted and fully owned IP/setting and flushed it down the toilet lmao.

Would you have tolerated Destiny's lore before Mac Walters spent so much time exploring your bunghole?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think the giant robo-skeleman is supposed to fit inside the Reaper shell and fly the thing, or something to that effect. I'm not sure if that is ever mentioned in the game or if it's just fanwank.

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kurieg posted:

Archival purposes is what I figured, but the final reveal of the series was somehow even dumber than that so.