Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Is the LES a manually triggered system or automatic like a car airbag? I can't imagine human reaction time to be fast enough to outpace an explosion.

Both. It has an auto-system that will activate it if it detects certain failures that move faster than human reactions, but can also be manually commanded by the crew or ground controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Time for one of my favorite YouTube clips then: https://youtu.be/AqeJzItldSQ

quote:

If we were to lose power on two of three wires, that would signify that the vehicle was falling apart, and we would just, get off.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/HatefulSlipperyInexpectatumpleco.webm

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 13, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://gfycat.com/RichNippyAnemonecrab

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

What would happen if you ejected the SRBs while they were still burning?

One or both of them would have collided with the external tank, or the exhaust would have burned through it, making big boom

Potential BFF posted:

Isn't the shuttle moving at a fast but still manageable speed when the SRBs are attached?

Because B-58 Hustler pods!

The first shuttle had ejection seats installed for its first couple of flights. Ejection seats would have worked for the four upper-deck crew members. The three people strapped into the middeck for launch had zero options, and I think ultimately NASA and the astronaut corps decided they didn't want an escape option that only potentially saved part of the crew. This also eliminated some weight from the design, which always makes NASA happy.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/mykele.johansen/videos/893898624079343/

Don't know if it shows facebook vids, but some of the cool (read: holy poo poo dangerous) effects of this mornings earthquake in New Zealand.

And some bonus pictures of messed up roads.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite space related OSHA moment is when Alan Shepard didn't bother taking a piss before becoming the first American in space because the mission was only supposed to last 15 minutes. After he was strapped in on the rocket they delayed the launch by several hours, so he was forced to piss himself and then sit in his piss-soaked suit for hours.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think this is the better option. Put a razor sharp edge so that there are no impacts, any excess height is cleanly sheared off.

https://twitter.com/atuomatic/status/797650811287437312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 14, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I want to believe this isn't a clever edit and that kid is now traveling down the garbage conveyor belts under the city.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
He's sitting in the big cylinder until help arrives or they flush a ladder down to him

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I want to believe this isn't a clever edit and that kid is now traveling down the garbage conveyor belts under the city.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sponge Baathist posted:

He's sitting in the big cylinder until help arrives or they flush a ladder down to him

I think we all know that he's going to ignore all advice and start digging down to escape.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think this is the better option. Put a razor sharp edge so that there are no impacts, any excess height is cleanly sheared off.

Pretty sure this is the part where the Oompa-Loompas come out and sing of the evils of being a little poo poo kid.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that is a perfect system for getting rid of a dead body.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Hope it had some cushy garbage to break his fall and he didn't snap his legs in that fall, or worse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Same here, but I don't trust any video where the camera swerves away from the action.

The internet has lied to me too many times.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Someone with the same name as the video uploader on youtue elaborated on reddit

quote:

One evening we went to dinner with our parents. While waiting for dinner Harry, Lucas and I got bored so we looked for things to do. We found an empty trash can and we said lets take a video of Harry popping out of the trash can. I promised Harry I would get in after him and so he went first. I stood by the lid and Lucas recorded as Harry got into the trash can. I closed the lid. At first I thought it was funny because I heard bumping and I thought the lid had bumped his head or something. Then a few seconds later I heard screaming from inside the trash can. I opened the lid and Harry was gone.

We heard screaming from beneath the trash can this time and Lucas told me to keep the lid open. I held it open while Lucas went into the restaurant where our parents were waiting for dinner. Lucas in the video explained how Harry got stuck in the trash can and I believe he was told to just get him out. So my dad comes out after a while with the other parents. He then inserts his leg into the trash can and closes the lid upon his leg in order to kick the bottom open, then he reaches his arm down and manages to grab a hold of Harry and pull him out of the storage beneath the trash can. Harry suffered only a few minor scrapes.
They commented months later about things unrelated to it, so I think they're the real McCoy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I want garbage conveyor belts, run by the molemen. :colbert:

whaheaheraherheh
Nov 14, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I want garbage conveyor belts, run by the molemen. :colbert:

ur a fukin retarded dumb bitch take ur court-mandated apology and frame it still wont bring claude back u murderer

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Why have a bottom in the trashcan part anyway? I'm sure the kid wouldn't have jumped in to it if he saw it leads to endless pit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hillo posted:

Why have a bottom in the trashcan part anyway? I'm sure the kid wouldn't have jumped in to it if he saw it leads to endless pit

Literally so that when* a little old lady falls in head first she doesn't fall all the way.

*) Please note there is no if here. Happens all the time with the Moloks around here and since they don't have partitions you always need the fire brigade to get them out.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Stupid mother fucker driving a rollback truck didn't sweep his flatbed so I almost caught a big rock with my windshield on the highway. I wish cops down here in Florida would enforce debris laws better. But then I wish cops down here did a lot of things better, like actually use their turn signals.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

MausoleumExtremist posted:

Is the LES a manually triggered system or automatic like a car airbag? I can't imagine human reaction time to be fast enough to outpace an explosion.

there's 3 wires that run the length of the rocket. if 2 out of 3 lost continuity, that meant the rocket was coming apart and would trigger the LES

edit: oh there's another page here

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 14, 2016

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

natural selection works, my friends.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

natural selection works, my friends.

I'm still here, though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sign's sign's everywhere there's signs do this don't do that can't you read the sign?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

blarzgh posted:

I'm still here, though.

humans have subverted it, unfortunately

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I'm still here, though.

The important question is: have you had kids yet? If not, there's still hope.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

In short, the space shuttle sucks.
I believe that if you consult the records, you'll find that it blows.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If this is fake, do me a favor and keep quiet.

http://twitter.com/atuomatic/status/797650811287437312

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
its fake and already been posted

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally so that when* a little old lady falls in head first she doesn't fall all the way.

*) Please note there is no if here. Happens all the time with the Moloks around here and since they don't have partitions you always need the fire brigade to get them out.

oh, I have never heard of anyone falling in a molok, I mean the hole to put stuff in is quite high, how do you even manage to accidentally get in

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

hillo posted:

oh, I have never heard of anyone falling in a molok, I mean the hole to put stuff in is quite high, how do you even manage to accidentally get in

old people get up to the wackiest hijinks

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

The important question is: have you had kids yet? If not, there's still hope.

If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Darkman Fanpage posted:

its not fake and already been posted

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hillo posted:

My brother-in-law called the fire department to get an old lady out of one in a park near where he works once and when they arrived they said "oh it's her again" so who knows? Probably saw a recyclable bottle down there or something :shrug:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

old people get up to the wackiest hijinks

This is true. Whenever there's a story in the paper about someone falling off a roof and dying in winter, it's an old person.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is true. Whenever there's a story in the paper about someone falling off a roof and dying in winter, it's an old person.

That's because a younger person will fall off and 'only' severely injure their back and die from the subsequent addiction to painkillers several years later.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagined posted:

That's because a younger person will fall off and 'only' severely injure their back and die from the subsequent addiction to painkillers several years later.

No it's because old people may well own their houses but because we have a fascist government can't afford to pay anyone to remove all the snow (so as not to have the roof collapse on them) so they try to do it themselves and fall off and die whereas young people can't afford houses so it's a maintenance company paid for by the building cooperative or landlord that does it and those guys use safety equipment because if they don't and someone dies, the chairman of the board of the cooperative has to pay hell of fines. :mrgw:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I believe that if you consult the records, you'll find that it blows.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have a related story that is as good in the OSHA thread as it is anywhere, so here goes:

My buddy's father has no arms. He was born that way, and has spent 60 years adapting quite well around it. He has a hook attached to a looped rope that goes around the back of his neck. The hook hangs down in front of him so he can pick things up that he can't get with his feet. He walks around barefoot most of the time, for obvious reasons. (He has as good penmanship with his feet as I do with my hands). He's friends with a couple professors at the nearby state university where a top-notch engineering program exists. They (and their students) design all sorts of gizmos for him. The professors occasionally give their students problem-solving projects like, "design and build a kayak for a man with no arms," or "design and build a way :siren: for a man with no arms to use a chainsaw :siren: ." The students don't know that these items will end up in this man's insane... grasp, but that doesn't matter. Both of these things exist, by the way, with varying degrees of success. But those stories may be for another time.

One day, about ten years ago, my friend's dad was home alone and decided to shovel the roof. We're up in Maine and shoveling the roof is something you have to do once or twice every winter, or else bad poo poo can happen to your house bits. So, he goes outside, uses his hook to grab a ladder and prop it up against the side of the house. He then uses the hook to attach a rope and pulley to the handle of the shovel, and goes up the ladder with the other end of the rope with him. He pulls the shovel up after he gets up there, and then he's all set. He starts shoveling away, happy as a clam.

Then he slips and falls off the roof, with no arms to break his fall. He falls about 15 feet. He gets up and, with no one else around, decides, "gently caress that. I'm going to take a nap." He does, and luckily doesn't die of concussion encephalitis. He wakes up to his wife coming in and seeing how he is now bruised and swollen in a bunch of places, but he had been napping quite happily thank you very much.

She berated him for basically napping off falling off the loving roof and they bought a metal roof the following spring.