Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/conway-obamacare-special-session

Conway: Trump to Hold Special Session To Repeal Obamacare On Inauguration Day

This headline is supposed to say "may hold," not "to hold," which is an interesting thing in and of itself.

But yeah. :rip: healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

thechosenone posted:

I think if democrats would be more likely to do it than others since we wouldn't be hurt as much by eliminating it either explicitly or implicitly.

And we have, in fact, been hosed over twice because of it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
How so?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lightning Knight posted:

I was going to say a quarter but I don't know how the numbers are shaking out. A fifth - 50 mil out of 320 - sounds about right though.

Seems like something that progressives should make part of our platforms. Empowering voters, getting more voters out, and making voters more equal benefits leftists running for office.

I forgot kids don't vote, so closer to a quarter/third of eligible voters. :doh:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Rhukatah posted:

I seem to recall more Republicans getting primaried than Democrats though?

A Tea Party guy can pick up a billionaire donor to fund his attempts to primary a moderate. People on the left can't do that.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

FactsAreUseless posted:

So you're arguing that someone who lost their job shouldn't believe black people are human?

I don't think he was arguing about the Platonic Ideal Voter here.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'm wondering how the voting habits of younger people will change as they get older. Specifically in terms of how much they vote.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lightning Knight posted:

This headline is supposed to say "may hold," not "to hold," which is an interesting thing in and of itself.

But yeah. :rip: healthcare.

The best thing is that they are going to delay the repeal to kick in in 2019 so the real pain won't be felt until after the midterms.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John_A_Tallon posted:

I don't think he was arguing about the Platonic Ideal Voter here.
My Platonic voter is a lot less racist.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

We've won the popular vote twice but lost the Presidency. 2000 and 2016.

Mister Macys posted:

I forgot kids don't vote, so closer to a quarter/third of eligible voters. :doh:

:respek:

mcmagic posted:

The best thing is that they are going to delay the repeal to kick in in 2019 so the real pain won't be felt until after the midterms.

Yeah this is some bullshit.

Here are some writings by union affiliated sources on the importance of leftists and union advocates for fighting racism. The gist of it is what I've been saying: historically the right has utilized racial animosity to undermine unions and workers, and so long as we allow there to be an underclass of poor people - whether it's in Milwaukee or Mexico or Bangledesh - the right will try and exploit them at the expense of them and white workers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

A Tea Party guy can pick up a billionaire donor to fund his attempts to primary a moderate. People on the left can't do that.

They mostly didn't, the Tea Party has its Kochs but it largely really is a grassroots revolt of the base against the party of Bush and Reagan.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

TyrantWD posted:

We have to animate the real Americans. We can.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Glazier posted:

I don't want to worry anyone else. I'll just go through the motions until it's time to die. :smith:

Lightning Knight posted:

Yo dude you need help. I don't really know what to say to make it better in this moment, but you need to talk to someone in real life because you're depression spiraling and I have definitely been there before and it isn't going to get better if you just sit here letting it fester. I'm not telling you it isn't bad. But you need help.

This. The people in your life will not say "can you and your depression go away? You're bothering me."

That, and if you want there are people who work at mental health hotlines that want to help. I haven't done a ton of background checking but here's a depression/anxiety/suicide hotline run by the Samaritans of New York:
(212) 673-3000

Please call and just have a chat with someone. I hope it helps.

spacetoaster posted:

Did you vote Hillary? You know, the candidate bank rolled by countries that execute gay people for being gay?
And you, get the gently caress out, don't kick a depressed person while they're down.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I am tired of of this finger pointong. Time to come up with some plans and act on them.

How I can get a job in Trump's staff? He apparently did not have a staff ready. I want to steal the white house stuff for a week and then proceed to never show up to work. Idiots will probably continue sending my pay checks for years. I want the silver ware and and portraits of presidents. A few of those pens too.

Oh good idea. Spread rumors that Trump's staff is stealing stuff, then sell "genuine antiques" from white house to gullible rich people. I have some Chinese contacts. Think they will be interested?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

TyrantWD posted:

Obama and Trump are polar opposites when it comes to policy. Trump ran on undoing the Obama presidency so if you voted for both, chances are you were a rube who got caught up in celebrity and personality rather than did a 180 in your beliefs.

This exactly. People who voted for Obama then voted for Trump will only be "won back" by an extremely charismatic candidate who sells themselves as an outsider. Policy doesn't matter to these people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Donald Trump had no idea what the president's job actually consists of, and his staff didn't realize that they actually had to hire everyone who would be working in the west wing because the current presidential staff would not be staying on. Barack Obama takes pity on the president-elect and will be doing some additional hand-holding during the transition.

quote:

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

If the voter turnout is anything to go by, the defining feature of is Real Americans is that they don't vote.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I am tired of of this finger pointong. Time to come up with some plans and act on them.

How I can get a job in Trump's staff? He apparently did not have a staff ready. I want to steal the white house stuff for a week and then proceed to never show up to work. Idiots will probably continue sending my pay checks for years. I want the silver ware and and portraits of presidents. A few of those pens too.

Oh good idea. Spread rumors that Trump's staff is stealing stuff, then sell "genuine antiques" from white house to gullible rich people. I have some Chinese contacts. Think they will be interested?

Here you go: https://www.greatagain.gov/serve-america.html

Edit: Also this: https://apply.ptt.gov/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Just strap them to a table in your lab and the lightning will do the rest.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

So you're arguing that someone who lost their job shouldn't believe black people are human?

No, head saying that if people are economically desperate enough, then social policies will take a back seat to economic ones.

I guess being able to eat trumps advancing civil rights.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

How are you at fawning and palace intrigue, and can you provide some letters of recommendation to that effect?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My Linux Rig posted:

No, head saying that if people are economically desperate enough, then social policies will take a back seat to economic ones.

What is the exact level of poverty that justifies racism?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Unzip and Attack posted:

This exactly. People who voted for Obama then voted for Trump will only be "won back" by an extremely charismatic candidate who sells themselves as an outsider. Policy doesn't matter to these people.

I don't think policy matters to anyone who voted for Trump since he didn't talk about policy during the entire election and clearly has no clue on the subject.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
It's already pretty obvious that Dems aren't going to learn anything from this loss.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

like uh i dunno how better to put this, but if some of yall are confused why "focus on economic issues" is getting conflated with racism, maybe you should be paying closer attention to what some of your fellow travelers are saying

Nah, they're all just racists. The economy is already great!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

TyrantWD posted:

People who voted for Trump because they thought he was going to bring jobs back aren't people who are going to be won back by any messaging about how your policies will help them. Hillary spoke about how she will help these voters far more than Obama did.

Yeah, she spent so many hours talking to these people in Wisconsin that the dial rolled all the way back around to zero.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

It's already pretty obvious that Dems aren't going to learn anything from this loss.

Based on?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

Yeah, she spent so many hours talking to these people in Wisconsin that the dial rolled all the way back around to zero.

That is dumb. She was in Florida pretty much the whole election and still lost it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Nah, they're all just racists. The economy is already great!

ive seen posts about raw milk that are better at trolling than you

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My Linux Rig posted:

we're assuming here that people who were swayed by trump's promise to build a time machine and restore the economy to a pre-globalist paradigm are rational actors

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does the poverty have to be realized, or can one become racist to pre-empt a slide into the projected poverty level that would make such behaviour acceptable? Does liquidity matter in determining what an acceptable poverty level is, or do I have to count assets that are tied up? If I use one weird tax loophole to show huge losses, does that make me impoverished enough? Does my wealth for determining if I can be racist or not get counted before or after I pay my religious tithes?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

ive seen posts about raw milk that are better at trolling than you

"smartphones are for weak and boring people who need a machine to tell them where to go and what to do"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So who is this dude that a ton of big name Dems are backing to lead the DNC? I've never heard of him before but considering some of the most hyper cynical Goons here seem glad about it he must be a good thing.

He's a black Muslim progressive who was first elected in 2008 and backed Bernie for president. People are really excited about him because he ticks the "progressive appeal", "minority appeal", "young people appeal", and "anti DNC establishment appeal" check boxes, so the Dems can go ahead and take all those demographics completely for granted and focus all their policy and messaging efforts on winning over the middle-aged white lower-middle class instead.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Ellison. But I'd feel a lot better if anyone even seemed to care what his vision for party fundraising and strategy is beyond "he's a progressive Bernie supporter", or if he was actively expressing interest himself rather than being appointed by all the party insiders. Right now, the push for Ellison as DNC chair brings to mind thoughts of Michael Steele, and that's pretty concerning.

comingafteryouall posted:

Yep, Howard Dean is 67 now and Keith Ellison is 53. If Keith Ellison ends up being a good leader, we could get a solid block of continuity from him.

And I wish a few posters in this thread would stop calling all rural people racist. Yes, they tend to have less exposure to minorities and are susceptible to racist rhetoric. But that doesn't mean they can't be reached. Rural voters don't have good schools, they don't have job prospects, and there's a heroine epidemic ravaging them.

Rural voters don't have good schools, they don't have job prospects, there's a heroin epidemic ravaging them, and it's impossible to reach them on any of those because they would rather blame it all on black people and immigrants than accept hard truths. It's not that the Dems don't want to help them. It's that they reject every plan the Dems offer up because they don't like any of the real solutions to their problems - the narrative of "well, all your problems are due to those outsiders and foreigners and when we get rid of then all your problems will magically disappear" is just plain more convenient to them than the truth is. Sure, the truth is a lovely message. But what the hell is the alternative? The rural working class doesn't want retraining, they don't want welfare, they don't want subsidies, and they don't want guaranteed income. They've stood by and done nothing while Republican governors and legislatures axed Dem infrastructure projects and squeezed unions to death. The rural working class has only themselves to blame for their predicament, and while that's not a politically useful observation, it's extremely hard to help people who actively reject and fight against any attempt to help them.

TyrantWD posted:

Obama and Trump are polar opposites when it comes to policy. Trump ran on undoing the Obama presidency so if you voted for both, chances are you were a rube who got caught up in celebrity and personality rather than did a 180 in your beliefs.

It's even simpler than that. It's not hard at all to explain people who voted for Obama and Trump if you remember the context of the 2008 election. In 2008, the economy was really bad, so people voted for the opposition. In 2012, the worst-case scenarios had been avoided, so those same people cut the incumbent some slack and voted for him again in hopes of further improvement. In 2016, the economy was stagnant and had been for a while, so those same people voted for the opposition. For that particular group, the actual content of the economic policies wasn't that important: they inherently distrusted the economic bona fides of the incumbent's party and tended to assume that if the incumbent couldn't end their first eight years with a decent economy, their successor would fare no better.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

boner confessor posted:

"smartphones are for weak and boring people who need a machine to tell them where to go and what to do"

*crushes starbucks cup in white-knuckled rage* you fucker! ill end you!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

They're about to get another lesson in how ineffective change.org petitions and protests outside of McConnell's office are.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Main Paineframe posted:

In 2016, the economy was stagnant and had been for a while, so those same people voted for the opposition. For that particular group, the actual content of the economic policies wasn't that important: they inherently distrusted the economic bona fides of the incumbent's party and tended to assume that if the incumbent couldn't end their first eight years with a decent economy, their successor would fare no better.
I don't think you can just say "the economy" without being more specific - for a lot of people, 2016 is a hell of a lot better than 2008. Those people, if they turned out, tended to vote D. Et cetera.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

FactsAreUseless posted:

None. The question is, what are you going to do about racist people?

This "economics vs racism" argument goes in stupid circles because they aren't mutually exclusive, and are both true.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some statistics to bear in mind:

Only 20% of the country functions at above an 8th grade reading level. This is the ability to read two different pieces on the same topic, summarize their differences, compare and contrast them, evaluate which one is more trustworthy, the ability to use unit pricing at a grocery store to figure out which item is a better deal, etc.

About 20% of the country is functionally illiterate. They cannot interpret maps, they cannot read sentences, and they get by by memorizing phrases and recognizing individual words or phrases like "Hamburger" and "Molson Canadian Draft". Many of them possess high school diplomas anyways, due to the lax standards of the American educational system, and the overburdened and underfunded nature of our schools.

Thus, it should not surprise any of us that a great number of people simply are not capable of getting that, while they are presently hosed, Black people, Indians, Middle Eastern Americans, and such, are getting hosed on a colossally greater scale. They see their problems, and they either simply cannot bring themselves to care, or they care in an abstract way (i.e. "The black guys at work are all right, but those jerks who are protesting because they want everything handed to them unlike the hard workers I know...").

Is this angering? Yes. Unquestionably.

Should this myopic world-view be what prevails? No, definitely not.

Is yelling at them going to solve the problem? Is trying to shame them into good behavior going to work? Is ridiculing them going to make them want to change? Absolutely not.

It's an Is/Ought problem. It oughtn't be this way, but it is. This election, the Republicans proved that they could win with just white people. Strategically placed white people. That sucks more than words can convey, but it also means that we need to work on winning over the ones who aren't KKK members or neo-nazis if we want to win another election.

Some theorizing on tactics:

There are a few ways to get people to change their minds and behavior:

--Force: Through intimidation, shows of power, and displays of force, you cow the opponent into the desired behavior, or, alternatively, drive them to such a state that they wish to be on the "winning side" and join up with you. This tactic will not work, because as has happened time and time again, the militarized police forced in this country are more than well equipped to put down any uprising that occurs. Oddly enough, can also easily be dismissed if the target has a particular worldview, and assigns stereotypes to the group i.e. "They're just a bunch of angry black guys..." "It's just stupid man pain..." "Great, the Indians are burning tires for some reason. Didn't they already get their drat casino?") Can also have the opposite effect of galvanizing the opposition against the group agitating (i.e. "Blue lives matter" people just making the Black Lives Matter folks all the more impassioned).

--Sympathy: Through displays of pain, grief, and wounds, you appeal to the other side's sense of humanity, and attempt to make them feel bad enough about them selves, or about you, that they do something about it. This works well when you have things like starving orphans in dirt hovels, injured people being carried away in stretchers, and pets that have been abused. It does not work on people who have seen so many of these appeals that they are hardened and cold to the world around them, not those callous enough to think that such situations are funny when in the protection of a large group. It works very well when an individual is isolated and cannot rely on his usual peer group to back him up and laugh along with him, or get him away.

--Education: Through statistics, figures, and pedagogy, the other person is led to a more full understanding of your position and, hopefully, persuaded over to your world view. Extremely time consuming, very frustrating, and not particularly rewarding in many instances, for example when one is being trolled by an rear end who has no intention of learning anything, and just wants to waste your time. Works very well on those who genuinely are interested in the subject, and only hold their present world view because they haven't considered any other. Extremely difficult to do.

I'd love to hear more thoughts, expansion, ideas, debate, discussion, etc.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 14, 2016

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh I get it, worrying about your financial future is racism. Is the social reform message now just "kill whitey"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Some statistics to bear in mind:

Only 20% of the country functions at above an 8th grade reading level. This is the ability to read two different pieces on the same topic, summarize their differences, compare and contrast them, evaluate which one is more trustworthy, the ability to use unit pricing at a grocery store to figure out which item is a better deal, etc.

About 20% of the country is functionally illiterate. They cannot interpret maps, they cannot read sentences, and they get by by memorizing phrases and recognizing individual words or phrases like "Hamburger" and "Molson Canadian Draft". Many of them possess high school diplomas anyways, due to the lax standards of the American educational system, and the overburdened and underfunded nature of our schools.

Thus, it should not surprise any of us that a great number of people simply are not capable of getting that, while they are presently hosed, Black people, Indians, Middle Eastern Americans, and such, are getting hosed on a colossally greater scale. They see their problems, and they either simply cannot bring themselves to care, or they care in an abstract way (i.e. "The black guys at work are all right, but those jerks who are protesting because they want everything handed to them unlike the hard workers I know...").

Is this angering? Yes. Unquestionably.

Should this myopic world-view be what prevails? No, definitely not.

Is yelling at them going to solve the problem? Is trying to shame them into good behavior going to work? Is ridiculing them going to make them want to change? Absolutely not.

It's an Is/Ought problem. Is oughtn't be this way, but it is. This election, the Republicans proved that they could win with just white people. Strategically placed white people. That sucks more than words can convey, but it also means that we need to work on winning over the ones who aren't KKK members or neo-nazis if we want to win another election.

Some theorizing on tactics:

There are a few ways to get people to change their minds and behavior:

--Force: Through intimidation, shows of power, and displays of force, you cow the opponent into the desired behavior, or, alternatively, drive them to such a state that they wish to be on the "winning side" and join up with you. This tactic will not work, because as has happened time and time again, the militarized police forced in this country are more than well equipped to put down any uprising that occurs. Oddly enough, can also easily be dismissed if the target has a particular worldview, and assigns stereotypes to the group i.e. "They're just a bunch of angry black guys..." "It's just stupid man pain..." "Great, the Indians are burning tires for some reason. Didn't they already get their drat casino?") Can also have the opposite effect of galvanizing the opposition against the group agitating (i.e. "Blue lives matter" people just making the Black Lives Matter folks all the more impassioned).

--Sympathy: Through displays of pain, grief, and wounds, you appeal to the other side's sense of humanity, and attempt to make them feel bad enough about them selves, or about you, that they do something about it. This works well when you have things like starving orphans in dirt hovels, injured people being carried away in stretchers, and pets that have been abused. It does not work on people who have seen so many of these appeals that they are hardened and cold to the world around them, not those callous enough to think that such situations are funny when in the protection of a large group. It works very well when an individual is isolated and cannot rely on his usual peer group to back him up and laugh along with him, or get him away.

--Education: Through statistics, figures, and pedagogy, the other person is led to a more full understanding of your position and, hopefully, persuaded over to your world view. Extremely time consuming, very frustrating, and not particularly rewarding in many instances, for example when one is being trolled by an rear end who has no intention of learning anything, and just wants to waste your time. Works very well on those who genuinely are interested in the subject, and only hold their present world view because they haven't considered any other. Extremely difficult to do.

I'd love to hear more thoughts, expansion, ideas, debate, discussion, etc.

- You can't force someone to stop being racist
- You should not base any of your politics on sympathy
- Racism isn't caused by lack of education

• Locked thread