Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Does the dwarf engineer 'Overseer' ability increase the range of his leadership bonus only or does it increase the range of his other special abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

fnordcircle posted:

Does the dwarf engineer 'Overseer' ability increase the range of his leadership bonus only or does it increase the range of his other special abilities?

If it says aura size then it's the passive buffs he gives.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are there any mods that make Corruption less... lovely? Or more interesting? I don't want to remove it entirely cause its flavorful and junk, but it's such a pain in the rear end to deal with (I'm doing my first campaign right now as Empire).

Maybe I should just be less anal and accept that some of my provinces are gonna be swampy backwater hellholes

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fuligin posted:

Are there any mods that make Corruption less... lovely? Or more interesting? I don't want to remove it entirely cause its flavorful and junk, but it's such a pain in the rear end to deal with (I'm doing my first campaign right now as Empire).

Maybe I should just be less anal and accept that some of my provinces are gonna be swampy backwater hellholes

Every faction should be able to completely negate corruption, for Empire it's about using the Sigmarite Dogma provincial edict and building Cathedrals of Sigmar. IMO no mod needed and i think it would benefit you in the long run to learn how to deal with it, but i can also totally agree on modding out something you just find super annoying (i've done this myself). I tried to find some mods that would make the mechanic more interesting, but i only found slight tweaks or mods that removed it entirely unfortunately.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dongattack posted:

Every faction should be able to completely negate corruption, for Empire it's about using the Sigmarite Dogma provincial edict and building Cathedrals of Sigmar. IMO no mod needed and i think it would benefit you in the long run to learn how to deal with it, but i can also totally agree on modding out something you just find super annoying (i've done this myself). I tried to find some mods that would make the mechanic more interesting, but i only found slight tweaks or mods that removed it entirely unfortunately.

Fair enough. Right now I've got two WPs, my witch hunter, and franz all chilling in Averland with corruption reducers and it's only knocking it down 2% a turn. I'll try focusing on buildings instead.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I like the idea of corruption but it could use a bit more fleshing it. It's especially pointless that the AI just can't even manage it so you end up the only person having to worry about it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You really need Skarsnik when you're fielding goblins. I had a secondary army with a low level lord go up against chaos - my 4,000 goblins vs 400 Chaos including level 20 Sigvald and Kholek - I only just managed to scrape out a Pyrrhic victory.

After the great job they've done on this I would love to see CA do a small 40k expansion as well, with something like the beastman mini campaign over a city.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 13, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Since not many people signed up for the 2v2 tournament I'm probably going to drop it. But the 1v1 tourny is still going.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Mukip posted:

Since not many people signed up for the 2v2 tournament I'm probably going to drop it. But the 1v1 tourny is still going.

Y'know, if these are gonna be a running thing we should probably create a goon tournament group so we can organize games through the chat in there. Assuming this isn't already the case, of course...

e; http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198065275548 that should work???

brocretin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 13, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

pnutz posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720729515 :science:

school of metal still feels a bit lacking though
Started a Blood Handz game with that and I really like it. Gives everything including Direct Damage spells, buffs and debuffs extra oomph, more winds and second ranks on things give you more winds. Quite nice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mans posted:

Waaghs work best at supporting sieges or being the second army for a 2vs2 where the AI won't run. Just park your main army near the target and throw the waagh at it.

I've only ever had Waaaghs defeated without involving my army when trying this.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Your waaaagh counts as a non-player, minor faction. Tossing it at either a major faction or one of the factions the game considers to be your rival--calculated based on victory conditions and your relations--means it'll be decimated without doing any damage, even if its a 20 stack with great units going up against a starting unit 10 stack, but tossing it at a minor that isn't taking up one of the rival slots (5 of them? I forget) can be successful sometimes. Since you don't know for sure which factions are your rival it's a gamble that rarely pays off over telling it to fight wall-less settlements or stick with you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Decus posted:

Your waaaagh counts as a non-player, minor faction. Tossing it at either a major faction or one of the factions the game considers to be your rival--calculated based on victory conditions and your relations--means it'll be decimated without doing any damage, even if its a 20 stack with great units going up against a starting unit 10 stack, but tossing it at a minor that isn't taking up one of the rival slots (5 of them? I forget) can be successful sometimes. Since you don't know for sure which factions are your rival it's a gamble that rarely pays off over telling it to fight wall-less settlements or stick with you.

Huh?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can you confirm thats how they work mechanically?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Can you confirm thats how they work mechanically?

It's not, I send my Waagh army out to independently crush dwarf armies all the time. In my experience they will reliably win or at least inflict heavy damage against almost any random AI controlled stack, the only time they go out with a whimper is when they get caught by multiple enemy stacks or an army that's just obviously way stronger.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
By looking at tables and watching what happens in-game, yeah. You can remove the rival portion of it fairly easily and it definitely makes minor vs. minor less swingy toward your victory conditions. I've yet to swap the waaaagh faction to a major since I think there might be a bit more to it than I can remember--you'd have to ask somebody who did that sort of thing for Rome 2/Attila--and I personally wouldn't like that as a change but if you really wanted to test it you could do that too.

They're implemented like that because they don't want you just using your own AI stacks to delete other major AI stacks. There's more going on than just strict major vs. minor but it's a large factor in AI vs. AI autoresolve calculations, as is the rival stuff.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Considering how much ranged chaos cavalry can annoy me, the Dark Elf ones are going to be ridiculous. They use crossbows.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Repeating crossbows.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Decus posted:

By looking at tables and watching what happens in-game, yeah. You can remove the rival portion of it fairly easily and it definitely makes minor vs. minor less swingy toward your victory conditions. I've yet to swap the waaaagh faction to a major since I think there might be a bit more to it than I can remember--you'd have to ask somebody who did that sort of thing for Rome 2/Attila--and I personally wouldn't like that as a change but if you really wanted to test it you could do that too.

They're implemented like that because they don't want you just using your own AI stacks to delete other major AI stacks. There's more going on than just strict major vs. minor but it's a large factor in AI vs. AI autoresolve calculations, as is the rival stuff.

I use the waaagh stacks regularly to take out other armies solo, including dwarves.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are the tactical differences between chariot archers and horse archers?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

What are the tactical differences between chariot archers and horse archers?

Chariot Archers have fewer models and are basically useless. You can use them as inferior melee chariots or keep them back and do irrelevant ranged damage.

Horse Archers have less mass than chariot archers but have the ability to actually kill things at range, making them the superior choice in all situations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

2nd opinion please to make sure.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I just bought grim/grave. What the gently caress is up with all the VC chariots? Are any of em good?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gay Horney posted:

I just bought grim/grave. What the gently caress is up with all the VC chariots? Are any of em good?

Black Coach still sucks, but the Corpse Cart and Mortis Engine loving rule because they are mainly support chariots that buff your own units, giving them stats or healing etc even the humble and slow Corpse Cart is almost invaluable due to the +8 Melee Attack & Defense aura it gives.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

2nd opinion please to make sure.

Second opinion, weighing in. Madmac is correct; chariot archers are literally worse than an empty slot, because at least an empty slot does not cost upkeep.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are they good for ANY race?

What would have to be done to fix 'em? Make them the equivalent of little chariot-mounted bolt throwers?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

What would have to be done to fix 'em? Make them the equivalent of little chariot-mounted bolt throwers?

The only race that has them right now is greenskins. And maybe beastmen. I don't have beastmen, so I don't know.

To fix them? More models. Multiple shooters on each chariot. Higher rate of fire. Anything that makes them put out about as much volume of fire as ranged cav would put them about on the same level.

Chariot mounted bolt throwers would be p cool. Like the carriage ballistae from Rome 1.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Ranged Chariots have a long history of being useless in TW games but yeah, pretty much that.

You get 6 Wolf Chariots on large size, and they put out about as much firepower as 12 Orc Arrer Boys. (Purely because of faster reload time, the damage per projectile is roughly on par with regular archers.) With such a tiny unit size anything short of low-end artillery projectiles is a waste of time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chariots have been historically disappointing in Total War games, they require much more micro than cavalry and are still more likely to get bogged down and killed. You can do some amazing things with them when attacking moving blobs of spread out infantry (I am thinking Rome 2 here), but most of the time they are not worth the money.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the kind of sad thing is that chariots did kind of suck irl

they kind of faded out after riding horses directly became a thing, for good reason, mainly in that they were kind of a pain to utilize if there was like, a tree or a hill within a mile or some such nonsense

e: riding horses, not riding hordes, oops

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 14, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chariots did have a practical reason to exist though. They predate horse breeds large enough to carry an armed and armored man, the steppe cultures and training that made horse archery practical, and the invention of the composite bow. All of those put together meant that the chariot was a practical weapon of war in the specific regions it was used in. Sorta like how the tank only had a very narrow period of time being a practical weapon, but it did make sense at one time.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Melee chariots can be effective, they just require too much attention to get the unit to perform. If they had a sort of modified skirmish ai that made them retreat to a safe distance after they'd charged they might be worthwhile, but any unit that requires you to babysit it at the most critical moments of a battle and aren't battle winning monsters (That VC soul chariot thing.) or characters are always going to badly under perform.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've had more success with chariots as front-charging linebreakers instead of rear chargers, since they have the mass to knock over anything that isn't braced and specced against large units. If I wanted rear charges, actual cavalry units can fend off enemy counterparts and also get good rear charges. I believe that's their real niche.

Unfortunately, that niche in Warhammer is better filled by monster units, since they can kill poo poo after the charge and can remain stuck in the melee without dying super fast. Both of these traits are not chariot traits. Also, it so happens that the factions that have chariots ironically all have good monster units, so they really feel redundant.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
If I could just flag Chariots for AI control I'd use them a lot more, those things are brutal when I'm the one fighting against them.

I have found Chariot Mounts at least to be pretty powerful. You don't want to let them get surrounded but I've noticed that sticking like Khazrak on a chariot leads to him getting 100s of kills without me even bothering to micro him much.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So having played this game when it came out, and then again now, I still see some of the same issues that were bothering me before. As a company have they put out any word on whether they plan to address:

1. How lovely the organization tab for lords is. I mean you can sort by type, but it doesn't put any type of dividers between the types, so it's useless. When it's late game and you have 10+ lords and a ton of hero units it becomes impossible to find the one you want.

2. Stance changing shenanigans. Moving one inch as march, then realizing you wanted to do something else but being unable to change it with reloading the game is dumb as hell. The entire movement system need a revamp to be more UI friendly.

3. Enemy hero spam. Everyone complains so much, surely they are going to do something about this?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 14, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I have no idea what you even mean by enemy lord spam, do you mean Hero spam? They've nerfed AI heroes pretty hard since the game came out, I find even a half-arsed effort to stay ahead of the hero game keeps them a non-factor, unless you're Dwarves, (Or fighting Skarsnik) but that's just because the Dwarf hero building requirements are idiotic.

General News Shitposting:

1. CA announced today that they're publishing that Arena game through the World of Tanks people now, if you happen to care about Arena.

2. They just cleared a bunch of stickies in the official forum and are also mailing out the prizes for that WE teaser contest thing today so odds are pretty good we'll get a DLC announcement this week.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Megasabin posted:

3. Enemy lord spam. Everyone complains so much, surely they are going to do something about this?

Assuming you mean heroes, people have been complaining about agent spam since Medieval 2, I wouldn't expect to see much change at this point

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The problem with hero spam, as said before, is you either make them useless and remove them totally or you keep it as they are now. Right now they are an integral part of gameplay and if you go in with that mindset it is great. You can do a lot of fun things with them. If you are just too lazy to mess with them, mod them out it is easy.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dtkozl posted:

The problem with hero spam, as said before, is you either make them useless and remove them totally or you keep it as they are now. Right now they are an integral part of gameplay and if you go in with that mindset it is great. You can do a lot of fun things with them. If you are just too lazy to mess with them, mod them out it is easy.

Or they can simply make them all easier to recruit so you can fight it somehow. Right now the AI can belch out agents before you can, and usually has significantly more of them too, which makes the early to mid game a tedious whack-a-mole as you run around with your one or two agents desperately trying to assassinate the annoying shits burning your buildings, spreading corruption, diminishing growth and causing unrest (four agent actions the AI itself is largely immune to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zudgemud posted:

Or they can simply make them all easier to recruit so you can fight it somehow. Right now the AI can belch out agents before you can, and usually has significantly more of them too, which makes the early to mid game a tedious whack-a-mole as you run around with your one or two agents desperately trying to assassinate the annoying shits burning your buildings, spreading corruption, diminishing growth and causing unrest (four agent actions the AI itself is largely immune to).

Yeah, heroes especially for Dwarves and Humans really need to come out faster, and Dwarves need a slayer assassin hero. By the time I get to witch hunters as empire, I'm basically drowning in banshees running around the backline being a menace. Witch Hunters and Warrior Priest probably ought to trade places in the building tree at the very least.

However, I will say that if you plan on doing anything with heroes on the world map as VC or WoC that you need to download the mod that turns off the AI public order cheats. That alone does enough that you can actually use corruption and public order penalties on AI to your benefit.

• Locked thread