Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That looks real nice even though it is weirdly dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

my turn in the barrel posted:

Does anyone have a smoking gun? I've seen them around but wasn't sure what I would actually do with one to justify the cost.

I made my wife stop at a thrift store we were driving by and found this on the shelf for $3.

Unused, the batteries and wood chips are still sealed. The manual is missing but I'm sure I can find one on their website.

I looked a bit more and found this

Also still sealed

And to round things out I found an old Weber Gas Grill Cookbook and an BBq book for $1 a piece and a $4 cast iron Æbleskiver pan

What smoking gun recipes should I start with? I've had smoked string cheese that I loved and was hoping I could make something similar. Could I use racks and a carboard box like Alton Brown's cold smoked Salmon recipe?

On the smoking gun the most intriguing thing I heard was someone talking about smoking an ice cube tray then using the frozen cubes in their whisky or cocktails.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Hed posted:

On the smoking gun the most intriguing thing I heard was someone talking about smoking an ice cube tray then using the frozen cubes in their whisky or cocktails.

You can also do this with one of those disposable aluminum trays full of water, then freeze it. My new goal is to try the serious eats baked sugar (http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/how-to-make-caramel-without-melting-sugar.html) but smoking the sugar instead.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

It's time to replace my old, dilapidated gear - does anyone have a good recommendation for a charcoal grill/smoker in the $100-$250 range? I'm looking for something that requires minimal (if any) modifications. I'd love a WSM, but it's slightly out of my budget at this point.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

IT BURNS posted:

It's time to replace my old, dilapidated gear - does anyone have a good recommendation for a charcoal grill/smoker in the $100-$250 range? I'm looking for something that requires minimal (if any) modifications. I'd love a WSM, but it's slightly out of my budget at this point.

Just buy a 22" weber kettle, try to at least get the one with the ash catcher pan and if you look you might find the one with the lid holder bail on clearance. I posted a few weeks ago when my local walmart was clearing them out for cheap.

You can use 2 bricks from the hardware store and some foil to make a ghetto smoker and use it as a grill.

I also recommend shopping around I scored my 22" performer grill for $95 on craigslist and my 18" WSM for $199 on clearance at a walmart. Especially since BBQ season is over for most non hardcore grillers.

If you look at my previous posts in the thread I gave rundowns on them.

Edit: I know you are on a budget but Avoid the 22" Jumbo Joe thing that walmart sells. It's cheap because the bottom bowl is much smaller than a standard kettle and it's not going to do anything but flash sear things because the coals are so cloase to the grill and it won't take enough fuel to even do that for very long.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 1, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I sold my WSM on CL for exactly in your range.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

sellouts posted:

I sold my WSM on CL for exactly in your range.

Probably better to get a kettle first and worry about the WSM later as while you can grill on the WSM it's not a very stable setup and the kettle is an awesome grill and an OK smoker to get some experience on.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Probably better to get a kettle first and worry about the WSM later as while you can grill on the WSM it's not a very stable setup and the kettle is an awesome grill and an OK smoker to get some experience on.

I agree with this post. I was successfully smoking on my 22" Weber performer before my father in law bought me the 22" WSM for Christmas or something because he hadn't had really good ribs in many years and figured I was up to the task. I still use the grill more than the smoker unless I'm cooking for over 10 people.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Pulled the trigger on the 22' Weber Kettle. I scoured CL in my area for a WSM to no avail. Thanks for the recommendation!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Anybody ever use smoked chicken leftovers to make stock? I don't think the smoke would penetrate to the bone so it might be moot. I may also throw some onions in the smoker to see how they hold up.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

lifts cats over head posted:

Anybody ever use smoked chicken leftovers to make stock? I don't think the smoke would penetrate to the bone so it might be moot. I may also throw some onions in the smoker to see how they hold up.

Just finished up a batch yesterday. Keep a bit of meat on the bones and toss a bit of skin in there, and you will love it. Making gravy out of smoked chicken stock is amazeballs.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

IT BURNS posted:

Pulled the trigger on the 22' Weber Kettle. I scoured CL in my area for a WSM to no avail. Thanks for the recommendation!

if you don't want to go the ghetto route to turn it into a smoker, I really like the slow'n'sear insert. been pulling some great smoked meats off that thing and its super easy to dial in.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

qutius posted:

if you don't want to go the ghetto route to turn it into a smoker, I really like the slow'n'sear insert. been pulling some great smoked meats off that thing and its super easy to dial in.

It's also a good option but it's a 1/3 of the cost of a WSM and the WSM is probably a better investment long term unless you can't have both a grill and a WSM due to space restrictions.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If you take the middle section off the wsm, the top grate fits directly on the charcoal chamber and will function just like a grill. Or Hibachi I guess since it's so short... but still. Get it even if space restrictions. Smoke the meats!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

If you take the middle section off the wsm, the top grate fits directly on the charcoal chamber and will function just like a grill. Or Hibachi I guess since it's so short... but still. Get it even if space restrictions. Smoke the meats!

while you can grill on the WSM it's not a very stable setup and the kettle is an awesome grill and an OK smoker to get some experience on.

The kettle is better at doing both and makes a better first purchase.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I thought my WSM was a pretty ok grill given that I could set my meats and or veggies close to burning charcoal when I didn't want to smoke them

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

If I'm doing chicken on the WSM I like to move the grate down and finish them over the hot coals. Mine doesn't perfectly fit but as long as nobody bumps into it there's no issue.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Hey guys.

Just a heads up, the Akorn Kamado Grill is on sale on Amazon for $235.00 right now.

https://amzn.com/B00GJEPTJS

This isn't the best deal but it's definitely worth it. I bought this on a Target clearance two months ago for $175, and I've heard Walmart's had it even lower, but if you ever wanted to get a Kamado style grill on the cheap then there's no beating this thing. It won't outdo an Egg or a Kamado Joe or anything, but it's extremely versitile and I've had it hold steady low temps as well as cranked up to 700+ degrees.

If you do spring for it, I recommend you pick up the heat deflector stone insert as well:

https://amzn.com/B009E8NATC

Though I've heard people able to makeshift one with some grill grates and a pizza stone.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

As I mentioned the christmas poo poo is rolling in and grilling/smoking stuff is on super clearance.

Supplies will be limited but savings should be good.

Local walmart had

14"wsm for $104
10qt propane fish fryers for $22
Kingsford charcoal/water smokers for $18
Brinkman smokengrills for $35

And a whole bunch of cheap walmart grills for ~75% off.

The kingsford and brinkman are junkers compared to a wsm but for $18 the kingsford would make a cheap starter smoker to play with or a disposable camping setup.

If you find any weber grills still in stock they will be stupid cheap.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

arisu posted:

Hey guys.

Just a heads up, the Akorn Kamado Grill is on sale on Amazon for $235.00 right now.

https://amzn.com/B00GJEPTJS

This isn't the best deal but it's definitely worth it. I bought this on a Target clearance two months ago for $175, and I've heard Walmart's had it even lower, but if you ever wanted to get a Kamado style grill on the cheap then there's no beating this thing. It won't outdo an Egg or a Kamado Joe or anything, but it's extremely versitile and I've had it hold steady low temps as well as cranked up to 700+ degrees.

If you do spring for it, I recommend you pick up the heat deflector stone insert as well:

https://amzn.com/B009E8NATC

Though I've heard people able to makeshift one with some grill grates and a pizza stone.

I have this and it has served me well. I will probably doing a few mods to it before spring like a new gasket and my wife is getting me one of the bbq guru regulators as well.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I want a WSM. I have a vertical propane smoker. Is the 18.5" ok or should I seek out a 22"? I mainly do briskets, butts and turkeys. The WSM is a better bang/buck than an offset, right? Part of me wants an offset, but it seems like there's a huge quality difference between anything <$500 and the real expensive stuff.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

I want a WSM. I have a vertical propane smoker. Is the 18.5" ok or should I seek out a 22"? I mainly do briskets, butts and turkeys. The WSM is a better bang/buck than an offset, right? Part of me wants an offset, but it seems like there's a huge quality difference between anything <$500 and the real expensive stuff.

I've cooked full briskets on my 18.5". Some people swear by the 22.5, others say it uses up a ton of charcoal since it's so big.

You need to spend a fair bit to get a really good offset. But you can cook a ton more food at any time. Though you could do what Aaron Franklin does and just find an empty propane tank and make one yourself.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Though you could do what Aaron Franklin does and just find an empty propane tank and make one yourself.

I live an hour south of Memphis. The end-game is a propane tank on a trailer, purchased cheap from some competition-types who quit. Something big enough to do a whole hog on. Just to say I did it. But yeah, I have no welding skills or tools. Good to know the 18.5 will work. Leaning towards the 22.5 though after looking at this. Funny you mention Franklin-- started watching his PBS show 2 days ago after my brother suggested it and finished all of them last night.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am one of those that swear by the 22.5. Get it. Beyond just being able to make more brisket/pork if you need to, you can actually do full racks of ribs. I can do 3 racks per level, actually laid flat. I have an irrational hatred of rolling ribs, or doing half racks though.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I know we have had this discussion before but I need to make some pulled pork overnight to serve tomorrow evening. What is the best way to go about this?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

vulturesrow posted:

I know we have had this discussion before but I need to make some pulled pork overnight to serve tomorrow evening. What is the best way to go about this?

To be honest, it reheats really well.

What is your setup?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Moey posted:

To be honest, it reheats really well.

What is your setup?

WSM. Trying to decide if I should try to hold it at temp or just put it away and reheat later or some variation thereof.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Seconding the reheating suggestion. I usually pull the pork in a foil pan and cover the leftovers with foil. Throwing the whole tray in a 300° oven covered and stir once or twice and it's practically as good as fresh.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Are any of these sales from HD a steal/good deal/worth it?

http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I started this at 7 last night. I am extremely sleepy but I had some decent naps since the temperature has been so steady. Can't wait to eat it then hibernate.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Are any of these sales from HD a steal/good deal/worth it?

http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay

I have a Dyna-Glo gas smoker, it's the next size down with the inline smoke box rather than the offset.

I have been happy with it so far through pork butts and turkey parts, as well as a lamb shoulder. It needed a roll of nomex gasket taping to seal up the really leaky door, but otherwise has been a decent investment for the money. (When I get around to it I'll make an :effort: post about my experiences of it.)

I'd be interested to see how their offset behaves, I have considered it since I'm a fan of brisket and would like to smoke whole guys...

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I started this at 7 last night. I am extremely sleepy but I had some decent naps since the temperature has been so steady. Can't wait to eat it then hibernate.

That looks gorgeous.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That meteorite is still molten in the middle.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Any sliced pictures?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Unfortunately no, I had to serve it up immediately after cutting it and it basically disappeared.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

What's the recommendation for an ambient in-grill thermometer? I have an instant read digital thermometer, but alas it doesn't have an adapter.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

IT BURNS posted:

What's the recommendation for an ambient in-grill thermometer? I have an instant read digital thermometer, but alas it doesn't have an adapter.

I have a maverick et-73. It's pretty good. Not sure if the more expensive one is worth the price jump.

Bought a 22" WSM. today. It'll be here Monday. I'm unreasonably excited. I have 2 turkeys. I will probably do one on Thursday in my propane smoker and one on the WSM. Doing a first cook on thanksgiving with no backup seems like a bad idea.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I found my first turkey to be incredibly easy. I wouldn't sweat it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I did a 10# turkey in my 40" MBES a couple weeks ago and it was easy. 15 minutes or so in a 500 degree oven at the end to crisp the skin. Biggest pain was thawing it out and seasoning it before hand. I just did salt and pepper about 48 hours in advance and it was great.

I am going to be doing a 25# turkey the same way for Thanksgiving. It will take longer to thaw and to cook but otherwise it isn't hard. I just hope my "beer can" stand will hold up the bigger bird or I might have to get creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

(Good to hear your turkey came out well.) Be careful on the 25lb one - it might not fit in the MES width-wise. I find my limit is around 18lbs.

Your turkeys might vary.