Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Jesus it's 2016, how are there still people naming their characters after Drizzt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Plus, Dunmer would make terrible rangers anyway.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Davoren posted:

Jesus it's 2016, how are there still people naming their characters after Drizzt?

What's the go-to fantasy series for MMOs these days? Steven Erickson?

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

While everyone is asking for invites, could I get one to the main goon guild as well please? @wisdomhnox

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Davoren posted:

Because nobody who does that can spell Melnibone.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Congrats, you've just become the build version of JackBadass. Bolded is when I started laughing IRL.

I'm stamclueless, hence the questions. I will happily defend boho's fair maiden honour though. But I love you both, let's not quarrel!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Drizzt isn't a terribly well built character anyway. Never read the books but I assume he just has some kind of plot immunity there so whatever.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Partly, sure, but reality is that most people out there running dw/bow aren't you, man. They're loving pubbies with 14k health and a build they barely understand and why oh why do I keep dying over and over. Sure, animation cancelling on WB isn't what it used to be but, like, I got over it in about an hour and found the new rhythm and both my stam DK and my stam sorc do a drat good bit of DPS while also not dying.

But just LOL at booting people using 2H. Can we just go back to hating bowblades like it used to be cool to do? Also you goddamn kids just won't get off my lawn, etc.

2H is harder to play than DW. If they're bad at DW/Bow, they'll be bad at 2H.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

Drizzt isn't a terribly well built character anyway. Never read the books but I assume he just has some kind of plot immunity there so whatever.

His whole thing was "dark elf which is actually good" back when that was actually a relatively fresh concept.

Also he's dark, brooding, everyone acknowledges how awesome he is and is basically the perfect Awesome McCool character to a young adult fantasy reader aged 11-13. Some people don't get past that stage of mental development hence the appeal to this day.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm not hip to the latest meta, I just spam jabs at things on my magplar and call it a day. I used to have him as a 2H/bow stamplar a long time ago though. What had changed about 2h that made it bad?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just started playing a couple days ago and it's pretty fun but at what point do I reach the point where I can load the launcher up and not have to wait 15 minutes for it to patch itself before I can play

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally caved and bought the game since I need a new MMO and I've been on a Morrowind kick lately. What options are there for healing/support? I like being a healer in games because it means pubbies suck up to me/I can carry poo poo groups.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm not hip to the latest meta, I just spam jabs at things on my magplar and call it a day. I used to have him as a 2H/bow stamplar a long time ago though. What had changed about 2h that made it bad?

Nothing. Dick-waving builds all use dual wield, because maelstrom weapons are overpowered. But if you don't have maelstrom weapons, the trade is still: two-hander gives you toughness and single-target dps, dual wield gives you AOE. That has not changed.

Beyond that, these "which build is best" discussions often miss the point, since if you're playing well, your dps is more dependent on your group and its buffs/debuffs than any one thing you're doing. There is no such thing as "your" dps. So no single build could ever be "best": your choices should be tailored to how you play the game and who you are playing it with.

As a final word for the newly-minted stamina experts: I've played with you. I know how much dps you do. Stick to giving PvP advice.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 13, 2016

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in as @Kiyroh. Is there a decent goon presence for PvP or can I just roll whatever race?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Roll whatever you want. Goon PvP is sort of on hold right now while this proc set garbage dominates the meta, to be honest.

If you do wanna do PvP I definitely suggest looking for a non-goon guild as well. I'm in a medium sized EP guild that regularly groups up for Cyro, and is the same guild that pushed our first goon emperor.

For beginners though, definitely scope out Azura's Star as a starting campaign. It's the no-CP campaign which makes for probably the most balanced fighting in PvP.

E: I am, however, working on a magicka nightblade burst gank build for Cyrodiil shenanigans.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 13, 2016

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Aramek, thanks for making me those crafted sets - stam sorcs have some crazy damage, it turns out.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

tgidieday posted:

As a final word for the newly-minted stamina experts: I've played with you. I know how much dps you do. Stick to giving PvP advice.

:drat:

2H still sucks, especially considering you can't run 2/5/5 without dual-wielding.

Blast of Confetti posted:

in as @Kiyroh. Is there a decent goon presence for PvP or can I just roll whatever race?

Since my sub-561 CP rear end needs to stick to PvP advice:

If you're under 50, it's still pretty fun since the idiots that go farm level 32 Viper are few and far between. Past 50, it's a complete mess of poorly thought-out gear interactions. At this point the only possible way of salvaging ESO PvP is to pull a WoW by normalizing stats and disabling procs.

boho fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 14, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

As classic/boring as it is, I'm a sucker for 2/5/3, with the weapon(s) being their own thing. I like Willpower/Agility too much.

GrayDorian posted:

Aramek, thanks for making me those crafted sets - stam sorcs have some crazy damage, it turns out.

Also you're spooktacular now. Did you decide on a dye job?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Aramek posted:

I like Willpower/Agility too much.

is the 3pc ability on the willpower set meant to be more powerful than the 3rd pieces of other sets? Because it doesn't have a flashy ability it's just stats.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

is the 3pc ability on the willpower set meant to be more powerful than the 3rd pieces of other sets? Because it doesn't have a flashy ability it's just stats.

50% higher stats than those other 3 pieces, so yes. Though, if you can afford it/got the patience for it, Infallible/Vicious Ophidian/Moondancer/Alkosh jewelry alone is better for PvE simply because of the Minor Slayer buff.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Scyantific posted:

50% higher stats than those other 3 pieces, so yes. Though, if you can afford it/got the patience for it, Infallible/Vicious Ophidian/Moondancer/Alkosh jewelry alone is better for PvE simply because of the Minor Slayer buff.

How do i git gud at interpreting stats?

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Baron Porkface posted:

How do i git gud at interpreting stats?

This is pretty much how I feel. Although as someone who just started and is playing really casual I'm not sure it matters. I just wish I knew wtf anyone was talking about in most of this thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I was looking forward to being a brainless sword and bored tank but it doesn't seem like there's much room in this game's class system for a pure tank like there is in Rift and WoW, which I am more familiar with.

So I guess I could be generally tanky utility guy, like 1H+Shield Templar or smtg? Or is that pretty unrewarding as well and I should just go YOLO DPS

I'm going through the spells and it doesn't look like the #1 reason to play healer - letting people who displease you die - is even possible with the emphasis on AOE

Choice #3 is Dunmer Magic Dragonknight because that sounds fun and whipping people with elemental lava is my fetish. Is this fun and useful endgame?

The class system is so weird and almost extraneous in this game that I feel like I'm not even asking the right kind of questions

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

tgidieday posted:

:iceburn::commissar::boom::smugdon::vince::vince::vince::boom::parrot::pluto::master:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lol, Sharpened Maelstrom Lightning Staff #2 today.

E: Forgot to mention the 20 or so Charged weapons though, gently caress this RNG.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 14, 2016

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

tgidieday posted:

Nothing. Dick-waving builds all use dual wield, because maelstrom weapons are overpowered. But if you don't have maelstrom weapons, the trade is still: two-hander gives you toughness and single-target dps, dual wield gives you AOE. That has not changed.

Beyond that, these "which build is best" discussions often miss the point, since if you're playing well, your dps is more dependent on your group and its buffs/debuffs than any one thing you're doing. There is no such thing as "your" dps. So no single build could ever be "best": your choices should be tailored to how you play the game and who you are playing it with.

I wanted to mention you and floobs as folks to talk to about 2h. You guys both manage insane damage with 2h builds. My 2h dk does garbage dps, but It's my inability to ani cancel with 2h. I manage great sustain and respectable dps with my dw stam sorc, but weaving with dw just works better for me. The best advice remains play what you're enjoying. I've run with plenty of good solid 2h players, I am just not one of them. Four dps goon runs remain the single funnerest thing we do, and it's always just come as you are, we usually manage to limp through. Also, come back ennuid, 1T is p cool.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Man leveling up enchanting is turrrrible. It seems slower than the 3 equipment crafts, and you get about 10% as much stuff to deconstruct. There's no secret technique I'm missing here is there?

Turns out the secret technique I was missing was that the enchanting vendors sell potency runes, which are by far the hardest to get. Kinda expensive but still better than running around trying to farm them.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

sluggo is mad posted:

I wanted to mention you and floobs as folks to talk to about 2h. You guys both manage insane damage with 2h builds. My 2h dk does garbage dps, but It's my inability to ani cancel with 2h. I manage great sustain and respectable dps with my dw stam sorc, but weaving with dw just works better for me. The best advice remains play what you're enjoying. I've run with plenty of good solid 2h players, I am just not one of them. Four dps goon runs remain the single funnerest thing we do, and it's always just come as you are, we usually manage to limp through. Also, come back ennuid, 1T is p cool.

SLUGGO!!!! Been a while, man. But yeah, like ennuid said, it comes down to buffs and debuffs a lot which, on my stam DK in particular, are the bread and butter of my 2h deeps. Also, figuring out the now hosed up weave pattern. Once you have the feel for it, though, it's pretty straightforward from there.

So on your DK always be running Noxious Breath. For everything. And Claw. And Razor Caltrops. Basically, it's all about that debuff - DOT - DOT - DOT - smash - DOT - smash - smash - smash. Rock a Precise greatsword for mobs and Sharpened Maul for singles/bosses. Also, my dirty trick to melting mobs is running Reverse Slice over Executioner. So it's like caltrops out, breath everything, Brawler weave until 40% percent, then RS the whole drat thing down. Pretty similar for single target except get Claw in there on the reg and WB weave. Also ults. But yeah. Bottom line is the weave is weird as hell now and if you don't have it this won't work. Do what feels good and works for you. Or practice the weave. Love the weave. Don't bereave the weave.

Also yeah I haven't been on in like a week or more and need some cray cray dungeon smash "4 Deeps Boss Weeps" madness.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Don't bereave the weave.

That is brilliant.

Running with Ennufloob Monster Team I rarely have time to dps, because I actually loot corpses and new ones arrive faster than I can sort out the non-desirables. I get to hit bosses sometimes though!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything in the cash shop that's incredibly useful? Got Gold Edition and ESO Plus so that's all the DLC areas unlocked

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Not really no

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Useful, no. Cosmetic? Hell yeah.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
You dont get to be dapper like Aramek without some crown shopping.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Currently rocking the Werewolf Lord poly. Can't dye it, but it looks so awesome on Argonian characters. I'm like King Bowser!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Aramek posted:

Currently rocking the Werewolf Lord poly. Can't dye it, but it looks so awesome on Argonian characters. I'm like King Bowser!

Mind posting a screenshot? I was kinda curious about this.

Not the polymorph, but if you actually become a werewolf, does your appearance change based on your race, or are you just a generic werewolf?

I'm toying with the idea of turning my stamsorc into a werewolf, with werewolf transformation replacing overload, but I don't know how worthwhile that would be.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 14, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The actual transformation ULT looks the same on everyone from what I've seen. Some color variance, but I'm not sure what causes that. I never use the actual ULT to be honest.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So how the hell do you get through the Maelstrom arena as a bow/dw nightblade?

I get up to that one place with the archers that can do a charge up attack for massive damage and the poison shrooms that spawn whenever those mobs spawn and I just get wrecked. Either by the traps suddenly appearing and going off with no chance to avoid them as i'm kiting down the enemies or that giant Argonian boss with the near instakill attack.

I'm thinking I need more healing and health. The last time I did the arena on a siphon and healing oriented nightblade I stomped everything. It was slow as hell though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 14, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Archonex posted:

So how the hell do you get through the Maelstrom arena as a bow/dw nightblade?

I get up to that one place with the archers that can do a charge up attack for massive damage and the poison shrooms that spawn whenever those mobs spawn and I just get wrecked. Either by the traps suddenly appearing and going off with no chance to avoid them as i'm kiting down the enemies or that giant Argonian boss with the near instakill attack.

I'm thinking I need more healing and health. The last time I did the arena on a siphon and healing oriented nightblade I stomped everything. It was slow as hell though.

You NEED to stun the argonian when he's charging, that will stop his deathblow, and when you get the poison on you, make sure to hit the pond when it's got around 10 seconds left OR get hit with it again which resets the damage.

How much health do you have?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MF_James posted:

You NEED to stun the argonian when he's charging, that will stop his deathblow, and when you get the poison on you, make sure to hit the pond when it's got around 10 seconds left OR get hit with it again which resets the damage.

How much health do you have?

With food buffs about 24K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Archonex posted:

With food buffs about 24K.

That seems about right from what I've heard from other guys. I'm actually rolling 21.5kish with food buffs, but I have not had much luck in vet arena, still haven't completed it :(