Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Timely discussion. I just got this email from Chase.

Wow, thanks for the deal, fellas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
With a discount like that you can save yourself rich.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

With a discount like that you can save yourself rich.

The more cars I buy, the more money I save!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Does anyone know if you can still safely sell stuff on eBay/paypal without risking getting scammed? Their protection has always favoured the buyer, but generally as long as you shipped with tracking/confirmation to a confirmed address you were okay. Is it still this way or have they made it shittier?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I shipped a phone to a guy in Ukraine and he tried to make a claim against me but I sent PayPal the paper trail and nothing came of it. I don't really understand the attitude towards PayPal unless I just got real lucky.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

DuckConference posted:

Does anyone know if you can still safely sell stuff on eBay/paypal without risking getting scammed? Their protection has always favoured the buyer, but generally as long as you shipped with tracking/confirmation to a confirmed address you were okay. Is it still this way or have they made it shittier?

EBay has an international shipping and processing program now where you ship stuff to a domestic center and they handle all the international bullshit to relieve sellers of the near impossible hurdles of scam-proofing shipments to problem countries (e.g. $250 FedEx shipping in order to get signature confirmation). I don't know about second level scams like fraudulent payments that bounce weeks after you've shipped items or returns where the buyer mails rocks back to you or whatever.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
New Zealand was hit by a 7.5 magnitude earthquake that was so large it shook the whole country. Looks like I'm not going into work today due to public transport being down, damage to buildings and tsunami risk. More than 50 aftershocks to top it off.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86416304/live-north-canterbury-quake

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

New Zealand was hit by a 7.5 magnitude earthquake that was so large it shook the whole country. Looks like I'm not going into work today due to public transport being down, damage to buildings and tsunami risk. More than 50 aftershocks to top it off.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86416304/live-north-canterbury-quake

Don't eat out today.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

Don't eat out today.

A bad day to go for a drive.

http://www.therock.net.nz/Photos-of-the-damage-caused-by-75-magnitude-earthquake/tabid/1461/articleID/50484/Default.aspx

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Said I would go to a friend's birthday dinner before looking at the menu. $30 entrées.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sever.

Jan 11, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Said I would go to a friend's birthday dinner before looking at the menu. $30 entrées.

You should angrily cancel and berate your friend for going to a medium priced restaurant for a birthday celebration

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can someone explain why claiming the lowest amount possible and getting a tax return is looked down upon by everyone besides 'tax free loan to the gov't is bad'.

I used to be horrible with money and enjoyed getting a huge tax return. Now, I'm recently married, excellent salaries, financially stable with a solid emergency fund, investment accounts, 800+ FICOs, great 401ks and a plan to have all loans (car/student loans) and house paid off within 12 years.

In my head it all equates to the same, whether they take more from my check now and give more back to me in April, or whether I keep more now and they don't give back as much, or I have to pay some in April. What are the benefits to changing my withholding aside from 'gov't bad'?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
You could be making 7% on that $2000 tax return if you'd invested it! You're throwing away $140! Except actually much less because it doesn't all get withheld at the beginning of the year.

I dunno, I'm with you on this one. I'm open to having my mind changed but I can't think of anything.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

overdesigned posted:

You could be making 7% on that $2000 tax return if you'd invested it! You're throwing away $140! Except actually much less because it doesn't all get withheld at the beginning of the year.

I dunno, I'm with you on this one. I'm open to having my mind changed but I can't think of anything.
Hey now, it's not just the amount of money you'd get in your return - ideally you should be withholding just enough that you don't pay the underpayment penalty or estimated taxes - why pay $0 each April when you could have taken a tax-free loan from them?

Still doesn't really seem worrying about to me, but my pay is pretty variable and I pay estimated taxes regardless.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

Can someone explain why claiming the lowest amount possible and getting a tax return is looked down upon by everyone besides 'tax free loan to the gov't is bad'.

I used to be horrible with money and enjoyed getting a huge tax return. Now, I'm recently married, excellent salaries, financially stable with a solid emergency fund, investment accounts, 800+ FICOs, great 401ks and a plan to have all loans (car/student loans) and house paid off within 12 years.

In my head it all equates to the same, whether they take more from my check now and give more back to me in April, or whether I keep more now and they don't give back as much, or I have to pay some in April. What are the benefits to changing my withholding aside from 'gov't bad'?

It's not looked down upon by everyone. Outside of personal finance forums, blogs, etc, generally everyone else is happy to withhold the standard amount and eagerly awaits their tax return. That is often considered a windfall, and earmarked for a vacation, a new TV, a car, etc. That is, of course, a stereotype, but one I would imagine is pretty accurate.

If you have interest accruing debt, it's nice to have a couple hundred a month extra to throw at it; something I took full advantage of this year. The fact that I now have to pay a little extra for the remaining paychecks to catch up is a minor detail....

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

Personally I find it less annoying to get a bill from the IRS saying I owe them money, vs having them withhold part of a refund. So I prefer to owe them money at tax time so they can't just hijack my refund and hold it hostage.

It might net out to the same amount of work for me, but it's more irritating to think "the IRS owes me $3000 and I have to make them pay it" vs "the IRS says I owe them $3000 but they are stupid, now I have to send paperwork in to prove it".

Jan 11, 2004
Don't forget that millions and millions of American households pay negative federal income taxes thanks to the combination of standard deductions and refundable earned income/child tax credits, so the "tax refund" for many is actually just a check from the government, not an actual refund on taxes that were withheld.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Don't forget that millions and millions of American households pay negative federal income taxes thanks to the combination of standard deductions and refundable earned income/child tax credits, so the "tax refund" for many is actually just a check from the government, not an actual refund on taxes that were withheld.

How dare those people who are economically irrelevant through no fault of their own be given money. This is what Mitt Romney was trying to tell us about people!

:can:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

How dare those people who are economically irrelevant through no fault of their own be given money. This is what Mitt Romney was trying to tell us about people!

I... don't think that's what this guy is saying.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

tuyop posted:

I... don't think that's what this guy is saying.

Oh god I know that. I'm just joking. I just watched that Mitt Romney video the other day, so it's fresh in my mind.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 15, 2016

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I can't tell what's real any more.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dogfish posted:

I can't tell what's real any more.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Death to the mortgage deduction.

Jan 11, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm just giving an answer to the question of "why doesn't everyone game their withholding to target a zero return"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I get a (comparatively) massive refund at the end of the year but I don't rely on the money and meet my savings goals otherwise, so I just see it as a nice bonus for being somewhat financially responsible throughout the year.

It's similar to two months out of the year when I get three paychecks per month, so one of those is "bonus money" since I'm YNAB step 4 (spending last month's money)

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I've never understood the appeal of giving the government an interest-free loan of your money, but I have a friend who hides ten-dollar bills in the pockets of rarely-worn jackets to give herself the treat of finding an unexpected small windfall and I guess it's the same basic idea.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Dogfish posted:

I've never understood the appeal of giving the government an interest-free loan of your money, but I have a friend who hides ten-dollar bills in the pockets of rarely-worn jackets to give herself the treat of finding an unexpected small windfall and I guess it's the same basic idea.

Personally, I just don't like the idea of "having" to come up with the money. I'd be easily able to carry it out of savings (whether e fund or discretionary savings) but it's nice to know I won't have to cover the shortfall, even if I lose a couple bips or even full points on that money. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My income has varied enough in the last few years that it isn't super easy for me to estimate accurately what exactly I will owe for the full year ahead of time though.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

If one really wanted to game the system, could you theoretically change your withholding to zero for the first X months, and then change it to 100% of your income at the point in the year where the rest of your income for the year would equal the amount of tax you owe?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I'm now technically self-employed and thus don't get withholdings; I just put 30% of each paycheque in a separate account to wait for the government to claim it. Since my effective tax rate is more like 20%, that's 20% for the government and a 10% cushion just in case/bonus "windfall" of savings for me. I don't do anything with that money beyond leave it in the account so it's not like I'm making mad cash on the interest at 0.1% or whatever nonsense it is; there's just something about "here u go government have some of my cash to tide you over until you can figure out what I actually owe you" that rubs me the wrong way for petty emotional reasons.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dogfish posted:

I'm now technically self-employed and thus don't get withholdings; I just put 30% of each paycheque in a separate account to wait for the government to claim it. Since my effective tax rate is more like 20%, that's 20% for the government and a 10% cushion just in case/bonus "windfall" of savings for me. I don't do anything with that money beyond leave it in the account so it's not like I'm making mad cash on the interest at 0.1% or whatever nonsense it is; there's just something about "here u go government have some of my cash to tide you over until you can figure out what I actually owe you" that rubs me the wrong way for petty emotional reasons.

Shouldn't you technically be filing quarterly if you're technically self-employed?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

If one really wanted to game the system, could you theoretically change your withholding to zero for the first X months, and then change it to 100% of your income at the point in the year where the rest of your income for the year would equal the amount of tax you owe?

I'm doing a less extreme version of that now. Claimed additional allowances to have less taxes taken out for most of the year. Now I have some extra taken out so I can get to 100% of what was withheld last year.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Shouldn't you technically be filing quarterly if you're technically self-employed?

I probably will be filing quarterly as of next year. To simplify a complicated system, essentially you don't file quarterly until you've met a certain income threshold two years in a row (it's supposed to be one year but depending on when you started your employment vs the tax year it usually ends up working out to two), and THEN you're assessed quarterly. I first met the threshold last year, so I would ordinarily start paying quarterly next year, but my maternity leave, which isn't taxable income, will interrupt that. Thanks for asking!

Jan 11, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Yes, but there's a fine if you get caught claiming withholding exemptions you are not entitled to.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I know the earthquakes and disaster relief in New Zealand aren't headline news in the US but I thought some of you might be interested in the US Navy's involvement.
http://www.pacom.mil/Media/News/News-Article-View/Article/1005963/uss-sampson-to-support-new-zealand-led-forces-responding-to-earthquake/

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yes, but there's a fine if you get caught claiming withholding exemptions you are not entitled to.
But the IRS's very own withholding calculator tells people to add exemptions so that they pay the correct amount of taxes at the end of the year. For example, if you've overpaid heavily for 9 months at 0 exemptions when you actually have 2 exemptions, it will tell you to claim a shitload of exemptions for the next 3 months so that you owe/they owe as close to $0 as possible. Are they telling us to break the law?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The FAA provides information on restricted areas via (among other ways) in-flight data broadcast but if there's a mistake in the broadcast they will absolutely prosecute you for violating airspace.

What I'm saying is, yeah, the IRS probably *is* telling you to break the law.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man how is mint.com so non-functional? It stopped being able to get to one of my banks for two months, okay, whatever. Why does that mean that, once I fix it, it cannot import my transactions from those two months and show me what I spent? All that information is still available on the site, why can't mint grab it? My graphs are all messed up. :negative:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man how is mint.com so non-functional? It stopped being able to get to one of my banks for two months, okay, whatever. Why does that mean that, once I fix it, it cannot import my transactions from those two months and show me what I spent? All that information is still available on the site, why can't mint grab it? My graphs are all messed up. :negative:

Mint lost like 4 years worth of my transactions about a month ago. I have no loving idea why, I didn't change anything.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Mint was great a few years ago but since then has been on a steady decline. It refuses to even connect to fidelity anymore. The rise of security questions hit them hard. It's bad enough that I may just stop using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mint connects to fidelity just fine for me.
But yes, there are frequently issues. I'd enter everything manually into YNAB but I'm lazy and bad with money.