Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

go play outside Skyler posted:

every time I read this thread title I chuckle

can't say the same for what's in it

i mean it should be Tim's Discount Dongles but yeah it's not bad rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Raluek posted:

look into hte sky

at an arms reach, a finger width is about 15 minutes, so all 4 fingers is an hour. if you can fit all 4 fingers between the sun and the horizon, you have at least an hour-ish of light left

but nah, lets make this complicated and send your voice across the world to a datacenter so it can figure out what you're asking, make a web request, parse it, and then present it to your phone so you can try this 2-3 times before it gives you the answer you want or you give up

technology makes things easier!!

not everyone can see the horizon from their house

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Raluek posted:

look into hte sky

at an arms reach, a finger width is about 15 minutes, so all 4 fingers is an hour. if you can fit all 4 fingers between the sun and the horizon, you have at least an hour-ish of light left

but nah, lets make this complicated and send your voice across the world to a datacenter so it can figure out what you're asking, make a web request, parse it, and then present it to your phone so you can try this 2-3 times before it gives you the answer you want or you give up

technology makes things easier!!

what if I hit one of my fingers with a hammer and it is all swollen or I had a finger amputated? what THEN smart guy?????

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
use siri, duh

fakken idiot

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

look at my phone or fist the sky, I know which one i'm going to choose

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

butt dickus posted:

why are you searching for civil twilight and not civil dusk? google gives you civil dusk when you ask for dusk so you don't have to use dork words.

asking Siri "when is dusk" gives you sunset, not the end of civil twilight.
asking Siri "when is civil dusk" Bings!
asking Siri "what is dusk" gives you Wikipedia
asking Siri "what is civil dusk" gives you Wolfram Alpha. this is the new best incantation. tyvm.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
hey siri, why am i such a sperg about the exact time the sun will be a certain amount below the horizon?
hey siri, if i'm such a sperg why haven't i realized that civil dusk will always be a fixed amount of time after sunset so i can just ask when sunset is?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

what if I hit one of my fingers with a hammer and it is all swollen or I had a finger amputated? what THEN smart guy?????

Assistive Touch

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Doc Block posted:

hey siri, why am i such a sperg about the exact time the sun will be a certain amount below the horizon?
hey siri, if i'm such a sperg why haven't i realized that civil dusk will always be a fixed amount of time after sunset so i can just ask when sunset is?

this is not true though???

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it gets dark at like 4:30 which is extremely uncool and bad

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Linguica posted:

When I intend to go run for an hour along roads with cars on them, it is nice to be able to ask my phone when it will be fully dark outside so I can make sure to start running at least an hour before then. You seem overly upset that anyone would want to do something like that

"at least an hour", so not the exact number doesn't even matter.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

guys we have the power to command computers with our voice alone idk how u can poo poo on that

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

yeah but it sucks how you have to spend hours trying to figure out how Apple has decided a conversation is supposed to work instead of being able to customise your own phrases to trigger whatever macros you want

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the gui revolution happened when early good design established a situation where the actions a user could take, and the features the software had, were plainly visible in a way which users could understand with a minimum of training. you could reasonably, by yourself, walk your way through a piece of software, and be reasonably sure that if you didn't "see" a given feature or option then it does not exist

digital assistants seems a pipe dream unless there is some real ai breakthrough where the actions a user could take would be some graspable subset of human interactions

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
on my pebble smartwatch I can just press down to see when sunset is, after whatever I have scheduled coming up until then in my calendar shows up first.

suits m yneeds.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

it gets dark at like 4:30 which is extremely uncool and bad

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

this is not true though???

civil twilight begins at sunset.
civil dusk (end of civil twilight) is arbitrarily defined as when the center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/different-types-twilight.html

so civil dusk will always occur the same amount of time after sunset. so if it's 10 minutes or whatever then just ask when sunset is and add 10 minutes.

H T H

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the fascinating aspect of that story is that you owned a book in itunes. was close to owning two even

ufarn
May 30, 2009

quote:

Apple rates both the different 13-inch MacBook Pro models as having the same battery life on their product page, but in our review of the $1,499 model we noted a few factors that suggested otherwise. The $1,499 Pro has a lower-wattage processor and a battery that’s larger by 10 percent or so, for starters.

Our battery testing bears this out. The Touch Bar-equipped Pro’s battery life is by no means bad, but it is quite a bit lower than the $1,499 MBP (and slightly lower than the 2015 MBP) in our light Wi-Fi Web browsing test.
the touchbar is such a weird concept

http://arstechnica.com/video/2016/11/the-2016-13-and-15-inch-touch-bar-macbook-pros-reviewed/

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 14, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im so happy with my $1200 ($1500 with applecare) refurb 13" 2015 macbook pro that is currently driving dual 4K monitors with ease

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Doc Block posted:

civil twilight begins at sunset.
civil dusk (end of civil twilight) is arbitrarily defined as when the center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/different-types-twilight.html

so civil dusk will always occur the same amount of time after sunset. so if it's 10 minutes or whatever then just ask when sunset is and add 10 minutes.

HTH

legally civil twilight is usually like 20 or 30 minutes after sunset depending on locality

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

im so happy with my $1200 ($1500 with applecare) refurb 13" 2015 macbook pro that is currently driving dual 4K monitors with ease

lmao u spent $300 on a lovely warranty that they ignore half the time because what they wanna fix is essentially at their discretion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

never heard of this term civil twilight

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

triple sulk posted:

lmao u spent $300 on a lovely warranty that they ignore half the time because what they wanna fix is essentially at their discretion
so the yospinion now is that applecare is bad?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

its the time when it's too dark to see and people have to turn on their headlights or else they'll whack linguica with their car

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

its one of three "twilights" the others are nautical and astronomical. the original idea is that nautical starts when you can make out brightest stars used for navigation and astronomical twilight ends when there is no more illumination from the sun period

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Doc Block posted:

so civil dusk will always occur the same amount of time after sunset.

no it won't

e.g. twilight in Vancouver, BC is was 31 minutes on March 6 and 44 minutes on June 19

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

so the yospinion now is that applecare is bad?

applecare on iPhones is bad because you're gonna spend 1/3rd the value of the phone before it can be used

applecare for macbooks is cool & good

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mike12345 posted:

the kindle app on android is loving garbo, and I deleted it immediately

the craziest thing is that you can't left-align - you're forced to read everything justified,

pre:
so  that the books  you read
all       end      up     looking
like  this  for  some  reason
and     you      wonder      if
they          tested            this
poo poo  with   even   one   user.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol so reviews of the touchbar mbps are coming out today

the new 13" touchbar mbp, which has a battery a third smaller than the old one, has a battery life a third shorter than the old one, who could have foreseen this

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Linguica posted:

lol so reviews of the touchbar mbps are coming out today

the new 13" touchbar mbp, which has a battery a third smaller than the old one, has a battery life a third shorter than the old one, who could have foreseen this

it's piss, op

ufarn
May 30, 2009
lmao

https://twitter.com/gruber/status/798225278522769409

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
reviews all say surprisingly spotty battery life, touchbar is a work in progress, usb-c still nascent, and it costs too much. guess im sticking with my early 2013 another year and see how their next update shakes out. sounds like the new keyboard design is decent tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

reviews all say surprisingly spotty battery life, touchbar is a work in progress, usb-c still nascent, and it costs too much. guess im sticking with my early 2013 another year and see how their next update shakes out. sounds like the new keyboard design is decent tho

same but my awesome new-to-me refurb 2015 13"

posting on dual retina displays :jackbud:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i'm getting my new laptop delivered on thursday. i hope it's not as terrible as it sounds :ohdear:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

that spot on the left is a really weird design choice. if you're going to have it symmetric with the physical power button on the right, just make it a hardware ESC key like the nerds want and save the touchbar space for the other poo poo. when they showed the first pictures i had assumed that's what it was.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just fire Johnny already, nobody likes his dumb designs anymore :mad:

• Locked thread