Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (October 22, 1951)

Nancy (December 6, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (August 5, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (September 3, 1923)

Lil' Abner (May 3, 1937)

Barney Google (September 4, 1922)

Alley Oop (December 4, 1933)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love the old comics because they really give you a sense of what it was like to live in a different time

like any random box you pick up in the 20s could be filled with dynamite

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I love the old comics because they really give you a sense of what it was like to live in a different time

like any random box you pick up in the 20s could be filled with dynamite

Those were simpler yet much more dangerous times

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I thought the idea with dynamite was that it was more stable than its counterparts at the time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Enough with this poo poo, Stephen. It got old years ago.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I thought the idea with dynamite was that it was more stable than its counterparts at the time.
As long as the nitroglycerin didn't leak out of the stabilizing medium, yes.

Turns out if you left it alone for a while it tended to do just that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

treasureplane posted:

Barney Google (September 4, 1922)

You know, this whole "new mama" business seems to have forgotten that Barney is married. Has Mrs. Google been pushed out of the strip?

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of :regd08:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I so I've only been paying half-attention to Arlo and Janis, but they're potentially screwed, right? They've been making the food at home, in their own kitchen, and then bringing it to a gas station and selling it there? Right?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bobulus posted:

I so I've only been paying half-attention to Arlo and Janis, but they're potentially screwed, right? They've been making the food at home, in their own kitchen, and then bringing it to a gas station and selling it there? Right?

Yup.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Yes! I called it! I wonder if they're going to pain the health inspector as being bad.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

bean_shadow posted:

Enough with this poo poo, Stephen. It got old years ago.
If you mean the self-deprecating final panel I agree but the pun strips are the only reliably good thing about Pearls. :colbert:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
This is stupid. Lester is stupid. That is all.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (August, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1916)

Guess If They Are Married! (click for big)

Oh dear.

The Gay Thirties (February, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (February, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (July, 1940)

Tweedy (August, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (November, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Fingerpori

-We are producing an advertising campaign for hockey juniors... could we use Your face?
-Of course!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 14, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

The dangers of peaking too early.

Mary Worth

Make sure you pack your tiny pans!

Rex Morgan MD

"420 smoke weed everyday, you say?"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Batman and Robin, not sure how to both scale it down to non-table-breaking size and also link to the bigger version, so here's the link if just expanding the timg doesn't work for you for whatever reason.

Ripley's

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 14, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Joke's on you Piraro - this looks loving radical.

gently caress you, Piraro

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

What I don't understand is why the parents don't have radiation suits themselves.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Darthemed posted:

Batman and Robin, not sure how to both scale it down to non-table-breaking size and also link to the bigger version, so here's the link if just expanding the timg doesn't work for you for whatever reason.

Since you're using imgur, follow up the img tag URL with h to have it display a rescaled thumbnail; then you can link the full-sized version with URL tags. So, [ url = imageurl ][ img ]imageurlh[ /img ][ /url ] without the spaces.

e: Also, thanks for starting up Batman! Read the first strips a long time ago but never any of the actual storylines; interested to see how it compares to the issues from the time.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (November 17, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 8-9, 1930)

Thimble Theater (June 3, 1930)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is Funky Winkerbean ever anything other than jerks being smug?

It could just be because of the quality of most of the other comics here of course but I think Monty is great.

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

-We are producing an advertising campaign for hockey juniors... could we use Your face?
-Of course!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is even going through Brosni's fool head. "We must kill Modesty Blaise's boyfriend and goad her into coming here! Then the chairman will somehow forgive us for letting his spies get caught! No, wait! I'll just kill the chairman, and pin it on Blaise! NO! WAIT! HAVE AIR MARSHAL BICK BLOW UP THE MOON! THEN BLAISE WILL BE MY MOON BRIDE"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Poil posted:

Is Funky Winkerbean ever anything
No.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

Since you're using imgur, follow up the img tag URL with h to have it display a rescaled thumbnail; then you can link the full-sized version with URL tags. So, [ url = imageurl ][ img ]imageurlh[ /img ][ /url ] without the spaces.

e: Also, thanks for starting up Batman! Read the first strips a long time ago but never any of the actual storylines; interested to see how it compares to the issues from the time.
I meant to post this and forgot. To clarify though, in the img tags, the h goes before the file extension. So:
code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MfqjAEo h .gif[/img]
with the surrounding url tags and without the spaces.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Aldo Kelrast looks overdue for a haircut.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Helpful as ever Dahlia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tumblr of scotch posted:

If you mean the self-deprecating final panel I agree but the pun strips are the only reliably good thing about Pearls. :colbert:

I saw one in the newspaper the other day and they just cut the final panel out and left it as a dumb convoluted pun. Vast improvement.

Really Pants posted:

what is even going through Brosni's fool head. "We must kill Modesty Blaise's boyfriend and goad her into coming here! Then the chairman will somehow forgive us for letting his spies get caught! No, wait! I'll just kill the chairman, and pin it on Blaise! NO! WAIT! HAVE AIR MARSHAL BICK BLOW UP THE MOON! THEN BLAISE WILL BE MY MOON BRIDE"

Well, at least he's consistently nonsensical.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Ach, this one is largely untranslatable...the word principally used here, (관리) refers to keeping things in order. It can be applied in either a management context, a security context, or even a technical context, and is much less clumsier to use in Korean than its English equivalents. The 관리 room (what that literally says) can refer to any room that has stuff that lets you manage things in an official capacity. It looks like a security guard room to me.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Really Pants posted:

God I hope it gets to that point.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Poil posted:

Occasionally there's misery!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Green Intern posted:

No kidding, kid me would've loved to run around in a spacesuit.

poo poo, so would adult me.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mother of the Year, right here.

"Ugh, what a drag, my stupid pain of a son is feverish and vomiting! Can't he just stand in the snow and eat a fistful of lettuce until I'm done pitching my case for adding Cat Fancy and Jackie Collins books-on-tape to the library's collection?"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Poil posted:

42 years ago, it was simply unfunny.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set can't read the writing on the wall.

Working Daze is insufferable.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix passes the dutchie to the left-hand side.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Five (August 15-17, 1955)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

OH IT'S ALWAYS PHIL COLLINS, ISN'T IT, DAHLIA?!

Julet Esqu posted:

Goddamn, Dahlia is useless even in comic strip form. I remember being a teenager in a mall waaaaay back in the 90's and her show was being played on the easy listening adult/contemporary station in whatever store I was in (just because it's called Dahlia After Dark doesn't mean a local station won't play repeats whenever it drat well feels like it) and some guy called in and was crying to her about how his wife is leaving him and he doesn't know what to do and he loves her so much and what did he do wrong and how can he stop her from going and he doesn't know how he can keep on living without her and so on. And Dahlia's like, "I've got the song just for you!" and plays that one Phil Collins song. You know the one? The one that goes, "You know I love you, but I just can't take this..." And I'm thinking, "Great. Now the guy has a gun in his mouth. You're a big help, Dahlia."

Ahhh, Dahlia. Great writing, Ces.

Speaking of great writing,
Luann

Dahlia should play them that one Phil Collins song. You know the one.

That one Phil Collins song actually would be appropriate to play in Neddy's situation.

Ces and me. Soul sisters. We understand Dahlia After Dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5UwCyr_g8

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread