Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Why is it impossible? If The Democratic Party was actually for working people, why aren't they in the streets with Fight For $15?

Because they're too busy and exhausted to do that. They have families to feed and if they get their rear end thrown in jail or lose their jobs, then they're children and partner are hosed. It's just easier to be quiet, go to work, and hope someday things will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Giuliani admitted on TV that they are not bothering to do a blind trust of Trump's companies because if they did it would 'put his kids out of work'.

America. In 2016.

It's OK though, because we didn't get the "corrupt" candidate.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Hypothetically, let's say Minimum Wage does increase to $15...

What do you say to the people who are already making that much who have already put forth the effort to poses a more valuable skill set?

Index all wages as a multiplier of the minimum wage- everybody gets raises when the min wage goes up! :v:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

My Linux Rig posted:

Because they're too busy and exhausted to do that. They have families to feed and if they get their rear end thrown in jail or lose their jobs, then they're children and partner are hosed. It's just easier to be quiet, go to work, and hope someday things will change.

The Venn diagram of "people who belong to the Democratic party" and "people who demonstrate for Fight for $15" would have considerable overlap. Why are we talking like the Democrat supporters turn their nose up at this? They are in many ways the same people (though not 100% the same people.)

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is anyone interested in a thread focused on how to get involved with the Democratic party, like, how to affect internal leadership processes and stuff?

I think people overestimate how entrenched the establishment is.

I would be very interested in a thread detailing how to get involved in local politics or grassroots movements and I suspect a lot of other people on this forum would be as well. I think people are realizing that there is more to being involved in politics than following the news and voting every two years.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Showing up for the election isn't good enough. If Bernie and progressives allied with him had started campaigning and building a network in 2012 he would've won the primary and had a shot at the election instead. Instead, he showed up a year out and expected people to back some old dude from Vermont they've never heard of.

This is a reasonable point. I would have appreciated Bernie being a part of the Democratic fold earlier. As it is, it seems like even the crowded line up the GOP had was better than no competition. Trump may not have been the GOP's best candidate, but it seems he wasn't bad enough to lose to Clinton.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

My Linux Rig posted:

I meant the elected officials of the Democratic Party. The workers are already doing these things despite the risks.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

My Linux Rig posted:

Most people who live in red states are pretty hosed if they never change anything. A huge amount of the policies we need have to happen at the state level and if people don't change their state governments then those lovely governments will resist attempts to impose progress from above and have the legal power to do it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Scent of Worf posted:

I voted for Hillary and so did the vast majority of progressives to try and stop trump. She was such a terrible candidate that she lost to Trump.

politics isnt a "once every four years" thing. if you dont like your candidates then get the hell off your rear end and get to work elevating alternatives. if no one listens to you, then obliging them by slouching off to pitch a sulk in the wilderness wont help.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't give a gently caress about optics

that's why Donald Trump is president, FYI

liberals thought they could just retreat into their bubble and not do the whole 'politics' thing and win anyways, i guess?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Yeah, Bernie was gaining momentum and would probably have won with even 2 months more lead time. I think his decision was probably a last minute one when he realized there would be no other competition, so he didn't start campaigning soon enough.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Lightning Knight posted:

Showing up for the election isn't good enough. If Bernie and progressives allied with him had started campaigning and building a network in 2012 he would've won the primary and had a shot at the election instead. Instead, he showed up a year out and expected people to back some old dude from Vermont they've never heard of.

I had never heard of Bernie before the primary. I became a supporter after listening to his ideas. Why couldn't Hillary supporters do the same? Do you think it was her turn just because she had been around longer?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lightning Knight posted:

That really sounds like a problem with people and not with Bernie considering how much better of a candidate he was. I backed some old dude from Vermont I'd never heard of.

Besides, you can Monday morning quarterback all you want and say "if Bernie had only started in 2000 he surely would have won, it's his fault!" but the fact is that plans take time to organize and people warm up to things slowly sometimes. I think he ran when he was ready to run, and not a moment later.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
has anyone pointed out yet that technically, grover norquist was completely correct about vape nation

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Gwen Ifill has died. :(

EDIT: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/14/502031518/gwen-ifill-host-of-washington-week-pbs-newshour-dies

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JVNO posted:

Index all wages as a multiplier of the minimum wage- everybody gets raises when the min wage goes up! :v:

This already happens naturally because the minimum wage is a price floor and it pushes everything up.

The actual problem is that we have a huge underclass of destitute people and poor immigrants who can serve as undercutting labor. If we want to fix that problem, we have to make those people not poor. And no, deporting all the immigrants won't help. The companies will just move the factory to Mexico, and if we block that, automate.

So long as there is an underclass, somewhere, we will be at risk to have our labor undercut. We have to fix poverty in places like Mexico and Bangledesh to achieve lasting worker protection.

icantfindaname posted:

Hurr de durr durr, I didn't vote for Hillary in the primary, rear end in a top hat. The fact that right wingers can run efficient smear campaigns and baseless accusations and get away with it consistently - Kerry got this poo poo too remember - should immensely concern progressives because it's not like we're going to be immune to it either.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

boner confessor posted:

has anyone pointed out yet that technically, grover norquist was completely correct about vape nation

persuasion levels are reaching a critical threshold

https://twitter.com/grovernorquist/status/703309700750839810

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any world where 79 year old Bernie runs for office in 2020?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Hurr de durr durr, I didn't vote for Hillary in the primary, rear end in a top hat. The fact that right wingers can run efficient smear campaigns and baseless accusations and get away with it consistently - Kerry got this poo poo too remember - should immensely concern progressives because it's not like we're going to be immune to it either.

They weren't baseless accusations though. Hillary really did take millions of dollars from various dictators around the world to her personal foundation. She actively created the basis for them. Maybe in a perfect world it shouldn't matter, but in this world, it does matter, and saying "gently caress the world I don't have to care" means Donald Trump becomes president. Sorry

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

liberals thought they could just retreat into their bubble and not do the whole 'politics' thing and win anyways, i guess?

Every single person on earth including Trump and Conway thought Trump was losing up until he didn't on tuesday. Nobody but the wackjobs who were totally in the tank saw this coming. Clintons campaign was excellent, but she was running against a dude who managed to ignite racist sexist populist fire and rallied disinfranchised white working class people like so many populists before. That's a very hard thing to counter. There's definitely a precedent for it, but we haven't seen something like that happen in decades.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BarbarianElephant posted:

Local politics is completely accessible to everyone.

It's really a matter of attendance. Showing up to the lowest level party meetings every month, consistently for a year will put you in the elite.

Re: $15 an hour people.

There is only one thing that matters in determining salary, and that's your bargaining position.

If there are a thousand other applicants, your position is weak, if companies are competing for applicants, your position is strong.

If you have skills that are common, your position is weak, if you have skills that are rare, your position is strong.

And specifically relevant to wage increases.

If the employer knows that they have the highest paying job that you're qualified for, your position is weak. If they know that there are a thousand other options where you can make nearly the same wage under better conditions, your position is strong.

So, when negotiating, don't bother appealing to fairness and that you deserve to make more than people flipping burgers.

Argue that as an employer, they have to compete to get the best employees, and that there's suddenly a lot more competition.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Scent of Worf posted:

I had never heard of Bernie before the primary. I became a supporter after listening to his ideas. Why couldn't Hillary supporters do the same? Do you think it was her turn just because she had been around longer?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That really sounds like a problem with people and not with Bernie considering how much better of a candidate he was. I backed some old dude from Vermont I'd never heard of.

Besides, you can Monday morning quarterback all you want and say "if Bernie had only started in 2000 he surely would have won, it's his fault!" but the fact is that plans take time to organize and people warm up to things slowly sometimes. I think he ran when he was ready to run, and not a moment later.

People ought to back the better candidate, but name recognition matters. This is marketing 101. Most people won't change brands to something they've never heard of they don't trust it or feel a compelling enough reason.

The point is just using Bernie as an example, any progressive could've run. But whatever you say about Hillary, she worked really hard within the party and with advocacy groups to set herself up as the one everyone had heard of and basically had an idea of what they were getting. Progressives need to do that poo poo too, well before the primaries.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 14, 2016

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

"It wasn't her fault, those mean republicans ran ads against her"

Seriously? Hillary is the least liked candidate in the history of polling. She ran a poo poo campaign and handed almost the entire government over to the GOP.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JVNO posted:

Is there any world where 79 year old Bernie runs for office in 2020?

God I hope not

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Every single person on earth including Trump and Conway thought Trump was losing up until he didn't on tuesday. Nobody but the wackjobs who were totally in the tank saw this coming. Clintons campaign was excellent, but she was running against a dude who managed to ignite racist sexist populist fire and rallied disinfranchised white working class people like so many populists before. That's a very hard thing to counter. There's definitely a precedent for it, but we haven't seen something like that happen in decades.

When you're running against a dangerous quasi-authoritarian you really cannot responsibly allow any missteps at all, and the blase attitude towards Hillary's faults was the opposite of that

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

BarbarianElephant posted:

The Venn diagram of "people who belong to the Democratic party" and "people who demonstrate for Fight for $15" would have considerable overlap. Why are we talking like the Democrat supporters turn their nose up at this?

Because they do. You don't have to look far to see evidence of it too!

The shame there too is that you're right, there is a lot of overlap. Dems could have won with that overlap too, but those people are gigantic filthy savages so let's not work with them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

When you're running against a dangerous quasi-authoritarian you really cannot responsibly allow any missteps at all, and the blase attitude towards Hillary's faults was the opposite of that

I knew her faults, I knew her liabilities but I believed the numbers nerds who all said it was a lock and not to worry. PEC said 100% day of, every poll showed her winning and he only thing to argue about was if the House was going to flip too.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

Seriously? Hillary is the least liked candidate in the history of polling. She ran a poo poo campaign and handed almost the entire government over to the GOP.

She lost the presidency despite winning the popular vote by a decent margin and Republicans already had both floors of congress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Her campaign was NOT excellent. It was bordering on incompetent.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

This is true, and I have to say, I kind of feel like the people who shouted down any criticisms of Clinton at all, even from those who were planning on voting for her, need to own up to being part of the problem. I'm not going to name names, but I've noticed that a lot of them haven't posted since last Tuesday...

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

My Linux Rig posted:

Because they do. You don't have to look far to see evidence of it too!

The shame there too is that you're right, there is a lot of overlap. Dems could have won with that overlap too, but those people are gigantic filthy savages so let's not work with them.

I've never seen this attitude in the real world. I can believe that at the absolute top of the party the top nobs might have lost touch, but most of the party is local officials and volunteers not much distant from the struggle. If you ask a "Fight for 15" demonstrator who he voted for, he'd probably say "Clinton" or "Stein" not "Trump" or "Johnson"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

None of this makes it any less stupid to sit out. You just lose the opportunity to vote for a better candidate in the next primary. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, Bernie will never win if the people who supported him rage out and quit voting.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

What were the misteps? When you have Russia and wikileaks and the FBI attacking you that's going to be an insane force to deal with for anyone but that's not a thing anyone could have expected. What did they do wrong? That was the strongest campaign I've ever seen in my life, and it was brought down by outside forces and racist/sexist populism combining.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

This election made it clear: people don't want incrementalist bullshit like Hillary. They only voted for her to stop Trump, but she was so bad she couldn't even manage that.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Glazier posted:

I knew her faults, I knew her liabilities but I believed the numbers nerds who all said it was a lock and not to worry. PEC said 100% day of, every poll showed her winning and he only thing to argue about was if the House was going to flip too.

Only 538 dissented and said it was pretty close, which was true. And boy did they get poo poo on for this! I heard here that they were fudging the numbers to get ad clicks from the gullible.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aesop Poprock posted:

What were the misteps? When you have Russia and wikileaks and the FBI attacking you that's going to be an insane force to deal with for anyone but that's not a thing anyone could have expected. What did they do wrong? That was the strongest campaign I've ever seen in my life, and it was brought down by outside forces and racist/sexist populism combining.

the hillary campaign severely neglected "safe" blue rustbelt states, that is a legit criticism

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

She lost the presidency despite winning the popular vote by a decent margin and Republicans already had both floors of congress.

Since when is less than half a percentage point a "decent margin"?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fuuuuck. We really missed her coverage last Tuesday. PBS was still the only OTA network worth watching but it wasn't the same without her.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

This is true, and I have to say, I kind of feel like the people who shouted down any criticisms of Clinton at all, even from those who were planning on voting for her, need to own up to being part of the problem. I'm not going to name names, but I've noticed that a lot of them haven't posted since last Tuesday...

There is a concept called "toxx" on this board which means that people who post in a certain thread agree to be banned if their favoured candidate loses. I suspect this had some impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

People ought to back the better candidate, but name recognition matters. This is marketing 101. Most people won't change brands to something they've never heard of they don't trust it or feel a compelling enough reason.

The point is just using Bernie as an example, any progressive could've run. But whatever you say about Hillary, she worked really hard within the party and with advocacy groups to set herself up as the one everyone had heard of and basically had an idea of what they were getting. Progressives need to do that poo poo too, well before the primaries.

So then why didn't she beat Trump? I probably sound like I'm being a smart aleck, but I honestly think More people knew about her than Trump. As it is, Did anyone know about Barack Obama outside of his constituency before he became the Democratic presidential nominee in 2008? If Bernie got as far as he did without name recognition, just how well would he have done with another year to get his name out, alongside the well known Democratic party name?

• Locked thread