Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
There are so many times players get hot like this to start out a season and then they average out over the course of a season that there's probably a phrase for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
As a Raptors fan I'm as cautiously optimistic as anyone else, but DeRozan looks to have genuinely tweaked the details of his game and there are other factors as well; the staff/players are working hard to make sure he gets to the spots on the floor he's murderous from, some the supporting cast like Ross are taking some of the heat off of him by being threats themselves, and Casey is finally staggering DeRozan & Lowry's minutes to ensure one of them is on the floor at all times so DeMar gets to roast opposing bench players more often.

Do I think he will average 34PPG on 52% shooting for the season? I do not. But I think it'll be closer to 30 than 25, and I think it'll be closer to 50% than 45%.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't Antoine Walker actually pretty good?

"Pretty good" is probably accurate for Antoine Walker, but also a pretty huge disappointment for a #1 pick.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As a Raptors fan I am fatalistically pessimistic and certain this is a long con by the cosmos to get me super excited about the team's chances as a contender only to see them lose in the first round when Demar shoots 20% on 30 FGA.

That said, it's real fun to watch so I'm just going to go with it.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

BWV posted:

As a Raptors fan I am fatalistically pessimistic and certain this is a long con by the cosmos to get me super excited about the team's chances as a contender only to see them lose in the first round when Demar shoots 20% on 30 FGA.

That said, it's real fun to watch so I'm just going to go with it.

Don't get excited until Kyle Lowry can hit a 3.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I've only seen highlights of Raptors games but everything looks really weird stats-wise. Lowry, Joseph, Pat Pat and Carroll are all having the worst seasons they've had in years.

DeRozan is getting to the rim half as much as he did last season, is shooting worse at the rim, shooting more long 2s at a much higher FG%, and shooting much worse from 3 (albeit on fewer attempts)

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
A good article (!) from Bleacher Report on Popovich: http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/gregg-popovich-spurs-coach-first-season/?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He was fine but way less good than he thought he was, which is where most of his issues came from

He had his moments, especially if his shot was falling. His coach for most of his time with the Celtics gave him the greenest of green lights which was sometimes a blessing and sometimes a curse

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 14, 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think you guys are really putting entirely too much stock into the words of Brian Scalabrine

White Mamba trollin'.

https://twitter.com/rodger_sherman/status/798229402953785344

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

This is almost exactly what I was picturing. Thank you

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh you mean the Warriors aren't trading Klay Thompson to the Celtics for literally nothing? Color me surprised.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

what did nostradamus say about about a potential corey brewer trade?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Holy poo poo this dude continues to poo poo on Wiggins. He wrote this two days before Wiggins drops 47.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-53-best-franchise-players-in-the-nba-2016-17-edition/

TL;DR -

quote:

47 B. Ingram LAL 19 SF -0.2 C. Bosh A. Wiggins 21.3

So let me get this straight, Brandon Ingram's worst-case scenario is A. Wiggins. Yuh huh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

538 heh ...

:smith:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Not sure why it's a surprise that a calculation that looks at stats would be down on Wiggins. He's had 2 somewhat disappointing seasons by the numbers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Brandon Ingram's worst case scenario is the #8 scorer and leader in 3 point percentage.

Brandon's averaging 6 points a game, btw.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

James Harden joins George Hill in receiving the Western Conference Player of the Week award

e: Can we talk about how Russell Westbrook is 1 rebound away from averaging a triple double? Can somebody let him stat-pad one rebound a game please?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Not sure why it's a surprise that a calculation that looks at stats would be down on Wiggins. He's had 2 somewhat disappointing seasons by the numbers.

I think that's the complaint, if the system is blindly just looking at numbers are saying Wiggins is a total bust (they didn't quite say that, but they certainly talked around it), but if you don't account that a guy was carrying a huge workload on a pretty bad/young team as an indicator he might be better than his pure efficiency stats seems kinda dumb to me. A lot of people who watched him thought he was better than "maybe not as good as James Posey" but 538 seems to really like to use him as a bad example for some reason.

Also, in that franchise player thing also uses him as a "worst-case scenario" 6 year projection, but he only has 2 years in the league so I don't know how you can project a player's 6-year curve to be like Wiggins.....

Anyway, 538's basketball analysis is pretty dumb overall, is all I'm saying.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Absolutely not.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

chunkles posted:

James Harden joins George Hill in receiving the Western Conference Player of the Week award

e: Can we talk about how Russell Westbrook is 1 rebound away from averaging a triple double? Can somebody let him stat-pad one rebound a game please?

eh, Russ is already leaping over Steven Adams and Sabonis to feast on largely uncontested DREBs that trigger the break. Any more would just be gauche.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

WhyteRyce posted:

I assume all NBA GMs hate Ainge, given that he plays the media rumor game hard and appears to overvalue his assets

Ainge is very bad with his media leaks but it's no crime to try to get the most for the least in your trades.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The James Posey article was done in December of his rookie season, and he immediately played much better. Some of those early "most similar" comparisons for him would spit out the Beasley, Morrison and guys like that, but also throw in Durant or any of the high school guys to make the whole thing come off as completely worthless.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

roundmidnight posted:

Don't get excited

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

I think that's the complaint, if the system is blindly just looking at numbers are saying Wiggins is a total bust (they didn't quite say that, but they certainly talked around it), but if you don't account that a guy was carrying a huge workload on a pretty bad/young team as an indicator he might be better than his pure efficiency stats seems kinda dumb to me. A lot of people who watched him thought he was better than "maybe not as good as James Posey" but 538 seems to really like to use him as a bad example for some reason.

Also, in that franchise player thing also uses him as a "worst-case scenario" 6 year projection, but he only has 2 years in the league so I don't know how you can project a player's 6-year curve to be like Wiggins.....

Anyway, 538's basketball analysis is pretty dumb overall, is all I'm saying.

I think you are right about the CARMELO system being pretty dumb. But I'm also not so sure you can look at Wiggins' stats and project that he's going to be good. He looks like a player that's going to be good, but that's a bit different.

Edit: By good I mean All-NBA good like he was projected to be out of college. His stats look like borderline all-star to me. My point is that the eye test suggests he will be better than that.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 14, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Wiggins is playing really, really good this year.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

chunkles posted:

Russ is a god, but he shot 9-25, 9-26 and 5-16 last week. That's like a .333 shooting percentage. I don't think you get player of the week for that.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Could the hypothetical team Danny Ainge has traded for beat the hypothetical team Darryl Morey built through free agency?? Winner plays the DeAndre Jordan Mavs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

predicto posted:

Russ is a god, but he shot 9-25, 9-26 and 5-16 last week. That's like a .333 shooting percentage. I don't think you get player of the week for that.

He had like 40 free throws

Edit

I was including last night (when he had 41 points on 21 shots btw)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Brandon Ingram's worst case scenario is the #8 scorer and leader in 3 point percentage.

Brandon Ingram is what everyone expected Wiggins to be as a rookie, a young guy playing good defense with offensive skills, but not enough assertiveness to showcase himself

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Sheriff posted:

Could the hypothetical team Danny Ainge has traded for beat the hypothetical team Darryl Morey built through free agency?? Winner plays the DeAndre Jordan Mavs.

Does that mean Horford has to play an evil clone of himself?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The season is like a month old maybe give it a bit before assuming that Wiggins is actually a good outside shooter now

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

The season is like a month old maybe give it a bit before assuming that Wiggins is actually a good outside shooter now

No, DeMar DeRozan is an MVP candidate, Andrew Wiggins is taking The Leap, the Boston Celtics are poo poo, and Joel Embiid would be the best player in the world if he could only play 36 mpg.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

That was good.

I remember it seeming scummy when Pop took over and maybe it was but it was the right move, like, obviously as history bore out.

kiimo posted:

You're doing what you're accusing him of doing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

roundmidnight posted:

No, DeMar DeRozan is an MVP candidate, Andrew Wiggins is taking The Leap, the Boston Celtics are poo poo, and Joel Embiid would be the best player in the world if he could only play 36 mpg.

Everything's coming up Toronto.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rick posted:

You're doing what you're accusing him of doing.

I guess. I'd be really surprised if Ingram surpasses Wiggins at any point. But yeah it's early. Towns is a better player than Wiggins (a lot) and hasn't showed it much this season and that will change.

But that's a conversation for future me. I say the future is ours if you can count (three point made shots).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

His stroke was always pretty good with a very high release, and he has the right skillset to create space as well as elevate on his shot. He certainly won't be the, or even one of the, leaders in 3pt % by the end of the season but a lot of people were pretty sure his outside shot was going to catch up to him, and this hot start is a pretty good sign.

He's been hitting a lot of really tough shots during this run so either he will regress pretty soon or he's the next Jordan/Kobe.

I think you are right about the CARMELO system being pretty dumb. But I'm also not so sure you can look at Wiggins' stats and project that he's going to be good. He looks like a player that's going to be good, but that's a bit different.

Edit: By good I mean All-NBA good like he was projected to be out of college. His stats look like borderline all-star to me. My point is that the eye test suggests he will be better than that.

That's sort of my complaint about 538's projection of him, as well as most of their projections in general. You look at a guy who has a 30% usage at 20 and you say "hmm, my models says he should be like these other guys who didn't have very good NBA careers despite them never carrying this offensive load. Whelp, its what my data says so I guess I'll go write an article!" Almost any other decently intelligent analyst would hedge on something like that, especially after watching him play. Or try to tweak the model. Or build in thresholds.

I'm probably coming off butt-hurt that a fringe NBA site isn't being nice to my pet player, but I'm a data-guy in real life and I get frustrated when other data-guys try to argue their model against reality.

And the all-star comment is funny, this morning I did a quick query to try and argue Wiggins deserves some serious all-star attention in this really young season but holy poo poo are a lot of individuals playing really, really well to start the season. I know this happens every year, but this is like a bumper crop of November Superstars.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kiimo posted:

I guess. I'd be really surprised if Ingram surpasses Wiggins at any point. But yeah it's early. Towns is a better player than Wiggins (a lot) and hasn't showed it much this season and that will change.

But that's a conversation for future me. I say the future is ours if you can count (three point made shots).

Even after yesterdays wigginsplosion KAT has a higher PER and Winshare that Wiggins, so KAT being better is showing in the stats (though I think Wiggins scoring is more important to the early-season identity). When the defense finally gels and becomes above-average like I think it will, I expect KAT's advanced stats will take off.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Yeah

He's still on the list with Antoine Walker

http://www.basketball-reference.com...45&order_by=pts

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Although the Knicks will probably stay worse than the Nets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Was Harrison Barnes the 2nd best signing of the offseason? (Off the top of my head another contender for this is Dwight)

• Locked thread