Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

1-800-A-Buff-Gay-Dude's "Lock of the Week":

Game will have tight MP where you can hoot and holler with your bros for hours, but the microtransaction poo poo will go way too far compared to the perfect setup it from last time because industry trends with this poo poo have changed in the 5 years since.

The SP will be total poo poo that combines the worst of ME3 with a bunch of the bad parts of the new Dragon Age game. There will be a new Kai Leng.

This is pretty much what I'm banking on. I'll still pay the 60 bones for the multiplayer alone, and probably play the story once just because.

euphronius posted:

God can't hate us that Much to give us a bad new mass effect. Not after 2016.

How precious :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

When people say the game looks like fun, you do realize that we haven't seen anything about Andromeda outside of some prefab cutscenes and "this is the new poo poo" clips of space marines in jet packs.

It'll probably be a Mass Effect game

for a lot of people a Mass Effect game scratches a certain itch so long as the quality isn't "completely terrible"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

It'll probably be a Mass Effect game

for a lot of people a Mass Effect game scratches a certain itch so long as the quality isn't "completely terrible"

I don't even need "Mass Effect" scratched specifically, just "Bioware Game." I really enjoy building a team, getting to know them, fighting some things, and making some behavioral/ethical decisions with some story impact. Multiplayer inevitably involves my least favorite video game element ("others") so really I just want those things. It's me, I am their target demographic.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't forget stilted, awkward dialogue! Probably my favorite feature of Bioware games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

the good fax machine posted:

Don't forget stilted, awkward dialogue! Probably my favorite feature of Bioware games.

I should go.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

the good fax machine posted:

I am also on board with repetitive exploration for minimal game advantage, for the rare time you find something neat!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope the new Mass Effect is good

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Let's get a little news up in here: I don't remember how to embed tweets on the forums, so to sum up:

Q: "for those that may not like to gather materials and craft, is there still ways to obtain relevant gear?"

Mac Walters posted:

You will have options. We want you to play Andromeda how you want. Freedom is a big part of the experience.

Q: "Im really looking forward to ME:A ☺. The Andromeda Initiative training, will the next part be available soon?"

Mac Walters posted:

Working on it as we speak!

Q: "Will helmets be retractible? What are helmet on/off in conversation options this time? (hopefully they can be on in convos)"

Mac Walters posted:

No details, other than you will have some control over helmets on/off.

edit: Oh, and...

Mac Walters posted:

You can pursue multiple intimate relationships. Some might not like that. As you'd expect. Others may say they don't care. But, don't they?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 14, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

exquisite tea posted:

When people say the game looks like fun, you do realize that we haven't seen anything about Andromeda outside of some prefab cutscenes and "this is the new poo poo" clips of space marines in jet packs.

It's also a mass effect game. We can guess a whole lot about what it'll be about, kinda like how if they announce a new street fighter you pretty much already know what the meat of the game is gonna be and what most of the characters will be like.

The idea that the game must be trash is about as valid as the idea that it'll be good and neat.

Also if you thought ME3 sucked because of the ending and it negated however many hours it took you to get there, you kinda missed the entire point of the game's story.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
lol at the idea of having a robust crafting system and then making stuff that's just as good obtainable without using said system.

Either you make it the way to get the best gear or you render it useless in the context of just playing the game.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

lol at the idea of having a robust crafting system and then making stuff that's just as good obtainable without using said system.

Either you make it the way to get the best gear or you render it useless in the context of just playing the game.

Tell that to every MMO ever. :v:

Cautiously hopeful for this new game, but I definitely won't be pre-ordering unless there's cool cosmetic poo poo in it for me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe it's like, "You can throw all your endgame money and time at our crafting system to eke out .1 more DPS over your last gun and custom build the perfect end-game tier rear end blaster, or you can go to the shop and buy a BlastoTM brand Enkindler Cannon with end game stats off the shelf and then call it good enough. Sure it doesn't quite fit your hand like it would a Hanar's tendrils and it's hot pink while your armor is sort of beige, but it does the job, right?"

Some people get really into making something that is exactly how they like it. For everyone else, you just buy off the rack.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 14, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's also a mass effect game. We can guess a whole lot about what it'll be about, kinda like how if they announce a new street fighter you pretty much already know what the meat of the game is gonna be and what most of the characters will be like.

The idea that the game must be trash is about as valid as the idea that it'll be good and neat.

Well that's kind of a bad analogy because the last Street Fighter ended up being an unfinished mess at launch. I guess the biggest difference was that we actually saw gameplay footage from SFV three months before release, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Despite all its flaws the Mass Effect series is one of my favourite gaming series out there and ME4 is a guaranteed purchase for me

They'd have to just colossally gently caress this up to make me lose interest

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

exquisite tea posted:

Well that's kind of a bad analogy because the last Street Fighter ended up being an unfinished mess at launch. I guess the biggest difference was that we actually saw gameplay footage from SFV three months before release, though.

no that's actually a perfect analogy because the last Mass Effect ended up being an unfinished mess at launch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Maybe the game is SO GOOD that Bioware doesn't want to spoil the surprise of showing us any videos, kind of like how No Man's Sky previews took us through the same 2-3 worlds to not get us too familiar with the limitless procedural generation of content.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Being a Bioware game there's probably going to be some sort of ancient evil that you'll have to face down with and save the galaxy from, but instead of the Reapers its the Harvesters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No no

The opposite of reapers ...

Sowers??

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Judge Tesla posted:

Being a Bioware game there's probably going to be some sort of ancient evil that you'll have to face down with and save the galaxy from, but instead of the Reapers its the Harvesters.

You always were a kidder Judge Tesla.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bioware should release the script early so we can give it a once over and let them know if they are doing well. Also we should send the audio of goons talking so they know what real dialog sounds like

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

I hope the new Mass Effect is good

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I'm glad we made a new thread to talk about Mass Effect.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

No no

Sowers??

Endless Space already did them. Sentient robots who worship their creators and try to remake the galaxy in their image through terraforming, regardless of whether the planets are inhabited or not.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but it also was a fighting game with the same familiar characters in it as always. It's mass effect, it'll have guns and space magic in two flavors (orange and blue), party members with loyalty missions, an overarching "Save humanity/the galaxy/something" story, smaller subplots about ethical dilemmas, like the genophage and cerberus poo poo, and it'll have dialogue options in a wheel of some fashion. It might have something akin to paragon/renegade actions, but who knows what they'll be called.

Whether it's an unfinished mess or not was beside the point I was making.

Also, we'll get a first look at the gameplay at the games award show or w/e the gently caress it's called in early december, so that kinda lines up with seeing it three months before release.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 14, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm glad we made a new thread to talk about Mass Effect.

I'm glad you could join us in talking about Mass Effect.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

euphronius posted:

No no

Sowers??

big huge robot ships that appear from nowhere and just...

like fix stuff and help people?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Turns out we misheard Benezia entirely:

"And one step closer to the return of the Repair...ers."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I miss ME1’s energy management system for guns. Being able to completely change a weapon's purpose was fun (Taking a five shot sniper rifle and making it into a single-shot monster.)

The whole shift to ammunition was stupid, they should of stuck to a hybrid system where you could either wait for the magazine to cool off, or eject it and load in a cold one instead.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

I miss ME1’s energy management system for guns. Being able to completely change a weapon's purpose was fun (Taking a five shot sniper rifle and making it into a single-shot monster.)

The whole shift to ammunition was stupid, they should of stuck to a hybrid system where you could either wait for the magazine to cool off, or eject it and load in a cold one instead.

I want to say there was some mechanical reason for the change. But it was probably due to them wanting to appeal to the Call of Duty crowd. Besides if you modded certain weapons right in ME1 you never had to worry about overheating and the combat became even more boring than before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

No, Kett weapon technology coincidentally moved to thermal clips so we have to stick with it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I think they shifted to an ammunition system because it isn't tedious and unfun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

I think they shifted to an ammunition system because it isn't tedious and unfun.

They had to cater to those Call of Dudebro idiots who couldn't handle the mental fortitude and careful planning of taking two shotgun blasts before your gun overheated for 30 seconds.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If venting my gun took only as long as a reloading animation and took only a button press, who would care?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

They had to cater to those Call of Dudebro idiots who couldn't handle the mental fortitude and careful planning of taking two shotgun blasts before your gun overheated for 30 seconds.

I can't believe Bioware would just completely copy Call of Duty's patented "ammunition and reloads" mechanics. Original much, Casey Hudson??

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I wonder how long it will take until it's revealed that the human supremacist group Cerberus infiltrated humanity's ark ship.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Having just played ME1 again recently, it wasn't particularly complex as a system but the interface was pretty balls. That and sorting through a million mods you inevitably picked up. That was one improvement ME3 made to the formula; once you have a mod, you have the mod.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I still can't actually sit down and play ME1 anymore, no matter how much I may want to. The heat system was dumb and unfun. It encouraged you to sit there with a sniper rifle and JO while slowly killing everyone instead of moving up to claim ammo and actually having to engage with things in a fight.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I wonder how long it will take until it's revealed that the human supremacist group Cerberus infiltrated humanity's ark ship.

I believe it's been said by official sources that they are involved in the game in some capacity. :smith:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's fine, because it's old 'humanity at any costs' Cerberus. Not the weird Kai Leng Cerberus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trast posted:

I believe it's been said by official sources that they are involved in the game in some capacity. :smith:

Honestly, rather than the idiot fuckups that are Cerberus, why couldn't they have used the Terra Nova human supremacists group from the first game? They might be dickheads but they aren't terrorists, and of course they would protest not getting a representative onto the Arks.