Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

How much fun would a stealth game with realistic guard AI would be? Like, if guards had actual human vision, i.e. see more than five feet away, with peripheral vision, and the ability to distinguish between the sound of wind blowing and the sound of their pal being choked by a guy in leather.

I bet it wouldn't be very fun

Part of the reason stealth in games has a completely unnatural noise allowance is so that enemy encounters can be closer together and more frequent. Part of the reason enemies can't see you from afar is because your vision isn't very good either. Yeah, with HD and next gen draw distances it might seem like you can see extremely well but compared to actual human colour perception, contrast, pattern recognition, field of view, peripheral vision, and movement detection, what we see in games is still rudimentary. We also can't move in games as well as we do in the real world. There is zero fine motor control. And it's all intertwined. I can't be expected to worry about the sound of my steps if I can't quickly and intuitively read the ground below and in front of me or make my character actually make true steps instead of the cleverly disguised shuffling that all videogame characters do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I love that the Sonic twitter feels comfortable openly mocking one of their own games and vaguely alluding to 9/11 in the same post. SEGA is just so beyond giving a poo poo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

I love that the Sonic twitter feels comfortable openly mocking one of their own games and vaguely alluding to 9/11 in the same post. SEGA is just so beyond giving a poo poo.

If Sega couldn't have a sense of humor about Sonic 2006, they'd be doing it wrong.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that a human person kissing Sonic :psyduck:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Is there a Stardew Valley thread?

e. Found it

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 14, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Yep!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Oh, buddy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

Oh sweet summer child

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is Sonic 2006 so unpopular? It seems like it has what fans crave

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

No, don't be ridiculous.

It's a human person kissing Sonic's corpse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

It's a bad game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If it didn't also have the worst loading times and mini games in the series and more kisses, it might have indeed been the Brondo of the Sonic franchise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

It's just too good for humans to comprehend, simple as that.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I spent the weekend finishing up Crimes and Punishments with my wife and playing lots of Legends of Grimrock. I'm a big fan of first person dungeon crawlers and it feels real good to figure out a puzzle or floor. I caved and looked at a guide for a few things where I knew I was in the right vicinity but couldn't quite figure it out, and I know there are areas that I'm missing out on but I don't want to be a slave to the guide. Hurts to walk into a floor, have the only feature be a note that says "The Temple is Sealed to You" and have to continue on never knowing what you're missing. One gripe is that combat is becoming too repetitive and encounters are all handled with a similar tactics. And since the crystals that revive characters are one a floor and rarely convenient to return to, any character death is a steep punishment (not that I haven't made long walks back to the crystal with one character hanging onto life). It's cool that my characters are becoming better equipped, but when the prison floor is writhing with mindflayers it starts tipping the scale away from fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

You can walk, very slowly, up through loops, because the game doesn't give a poo poo about your momentum. You just stick to loops and anti-gravity, because they couldn't get the speed physics to work.

This is one of the least broken things about the game's engine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jay Rust posted:

That games loading times is so stupid that I wish that didn't get past certification. Just what the gently caress.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

that's elise, of Für Elise fame

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Fürry Elise

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Please don't rip off my SonicXClassicaloids fanfic

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's genuinely amazing that the franchise didn't die entirely with that game and managed to shamble onward.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sonic 2016 seems like the greatest love story ever featured in a Sonic game, why do people have a problem with that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The funniest thing about elise wanting sonic's hedgehog dick in that game is that he ends up friendzoning her real hard. This after she kisses him to bring him back to life after he loving dies. sonic the hedgehog loving dies in sonic 2006, speared through the gut by the main bad guy like he got frickin backstabbed in TF2.

Like, think about that from a writing standpoint. In sonic adventure 2 they make it LOOK like sonic died but you find out like 5 minutes later that he's actually fine, and for a kid that's an "oh no!!" moment but not a real devastating one because you know he's gonna come back. In sonic 2006 they stone cold kill him. Dead. It's so weirdly brutal.

edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfNA5w09rVA

Like seriously, the main bad guy just appears out of literally nowhere and SPLUNK there goes sonic's guts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 14, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PantsBandit posted:

the sonic twitter is run by a sonic retro guy who was specifically hired because of being super self-deprecating. they did this because they found that when sonic twitter makes jokes about themselves they get a shitton more likes and retweets than anything about how sonic is actually good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/8thsummit/mythos-tales

I ordered this. Hope it arrives soon, looks cool as gently caress

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I never got why some people were mad Sonic Generations included a stage from 2006, like the game about the franchise celebrating it's 20th anniversary was supposed to sweep it under the rug or something. You gotta take the good with the bad that, that's why there''s a Yoshi's Story stage in Melee y'know.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yoshi's Story owns?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
People hated Yoshi's Story when it first came out. Haaaaaated. Not my Yoshi they'd say.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yoshi story was good but i didn't play yoshi's island beforehand so maybe that would have changed my opinion

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

yoshi story was good but i didn't play yoshi's island beforehand so maybe that would have changed my opinion

Same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urYdNVYSu-g

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 15, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I liked Yoshi's Story (I too didn't play Island first), but getting all the way to baby bowser and losing all progress because I couldnt figure out the gimmick is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a Nintendo game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Like, think about that from a writing standpoint. In sonic adventure 2 they make it LOOK like sonic died but you find out like 5 minutes later that he's actually fine, and for a kid that's an "oh no!!" moment but not a real devastating one because you know he's gonna come back.

Sonic teaching himself chaos control with a fake emerald was super badass to kid me

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Yoshi's Island had probably the most beautiful and aesthetic art style of any SNES game I ever played.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yoshi's Island is incredible

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfCoW1FWnkY

Guy got wasted on stream, started stripping, flashed his Switch preview unit even though the NDA is still on. Whoops.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's 3d printed lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raserys posted:

It's 3d printed lol

For his sake let's hope so!

edit: Got a source on that?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yoshi's Island is one of those games that is a lot better in retrospect. At the time, all I wanted was Super Mario World 2 so I was real :smith: about the "big upcoming Mario sequel" being some weird Yoshi and Mario baby thing.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Yoshi's Island is one of those games that is a lot better in retrospect

It's way better in retrospect now that New Island exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85AB1p6wpaY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone loved Yoshi's Island when it came out idk what you're talking about.

Yoshi's story was the one no one liked because they amped up the Babby Story Book aspects while generally making a game that isn't nearly as good, so the audience that was hitting their teens reacted very poorly. It single-handedly ruined the idea of Yoshi as a cool-rear end dinosaur pal for a lot of people, especially since the Fat Bipedal Baby design stuck for a while afterwards until Yoshi finally started looking cool again in Brawl.

• Locked thread