Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah tyro is super useful especially when you don't have a ton of characters because he can use some weird combinations of moves more specialized characters cant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

KataraniSword posted:

I think Sprite just meant "there's more reasons for 5* Spellblade than Tornado Strike, soon".

Yeah this is what I meant.

Lechtansi posted:

Ok, so if I do use Faris, she won't have BSB access right away since I need shout and SS2 first turn. Is full break ok to wait for until halfway through the fight?

Yeah, sure. Feel free to put full break on ramza until faris gets the goods to go on her bsb. Hell, it'll be harder to reapply full break in a timely basis since it's effect is done by her initial attack and not the commands anyway.

Eventually you should get two start witha single sb charge record materias. One from cloud and one from tyro.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sprite141 posted:

Eventually you should get two start witha single sb charge record materias. One from cloud and one from tyro.

Lechtansi posted:

shout and SS2 first turn

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
The Kain event, then Onion Knight time. I've got 62 Major Growth Eggs ready for that boy. :getin:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Hahahah! Get hosed Omega v2!

Overture had 15/20 Augment, Ragnarok 24/30

RW: Varance's Ashe. loving 3k+ damage per hit with the RW, 6k+ with each Attack command. :feelsgood: to wreck this robotic oval office after countless S/Ls

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
between halting rumba and stop, he never had a turn

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

between halting rumba and stop, he never had a turn

It got off one turn for me when a couple Stops failed to proc, but by that point it had like 5% health left anyway so one more burst command finished him off. Very easy fight compared to the first time around.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does Halting Rumba have a better chance to proc / enough added utility in other fights to bother crafting it over a second copy of Stop? Stop is way cheaper since it doesn't need any major orbs at all, but I'm not sure if having access to an AoE stop effect is worth the extra investment or not.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The advantages of Halting Rumba over Stop are exactly that, that it's an AoE and that it's part of the Dancer skillset (more common for physical-focused characters) instead of Black Magic. In particular, the Tonberries from the first Celerity Nightmare are much easier to deal with by employing HR. Otherwise they both have the same proc chance of 70%.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does Halting Rumba have a better chance to proc / enough added utility in other fights to bother crafting it over a second copy of Stop? Stop is way cheaper since it doesn't need any major orbs at all, but I'm not sure if having access to an AoE stop effect is worth the extra investment or not.

For this fight the Primary advantage to it is that Dances are not Magic and thus aren't subject to reflect.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ideally, he never gets to cast reflect

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LornMarkus posted:

For this fight the Primary advantage to it is that Dances are not Magic and thus aren't subject to reflect.

I think dances are still magic but aoe spells aren't subject to reflect.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ideally i never have to s/l

Halting Rumba is a good skill. for Omega i had Penelo use it at R3 and that was more stop than i needed

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think dances are still magic but aoe spells aren't subject to reflect.

dances are NAT

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Ideally? I'd say that you want to apply stop and to dispel the Reflect just after it goes up. It's one of the mastery conditions, after all, so if you want to ignore it (and still get the mastery reward) then you're in the particularly finicky situation of trying to outrace a U+ boss (with U+ speed stats) without putting up all your buffs first.

Alright, where'd I get this idea? Most likely I was thinking of Calofisteri from DU26, who's another FF5 boss that actually does have such a condition. :eng99:

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 14, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lechtansi posted:

I'm a day 1 player, so I have both mug bloodlust and thiefs revenge. I haven't honed either of them, I could probably hone thiefs.

The reason why I'm trying to decide between the two is because I already have a solid a-team of Butz w/ BSB, Greg w/ BSB, Ramza w/ shout, Agrias w/ cleansing and Yoshi Cola with SS2. I could see replacing Greg, because his BSB isn't that useful, but having a permanent saints cross user is handy (although I could have Agrias use it, since she is my shellga carrier if I need it and protectga and she otherwise carries lifesiphon).

Our A-Teams are really similar! My usual build is Butts with Light of the Four, Faris with Beryl Serpent and Mako Might, Agrias with Cleansing Strike, Yuna with Miracle Veil and Ace Striker, and a flex slot that usually just goes to Celes with Indomitable Blade. I have SS2 and SG but when you're running Cleansing Strike + Beryl Serpent, Wall is almost always overkill on any single-target boss. I RW shout, even on Ult++ fights. Just stick Lifesiphon and Protect/Shellga on Agrias.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
mastery conditions are land stop, use lightning, and reduce attack

i didn't use any mitigation because i was counting on him not doing anything but flash, which was exactly what happened

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

That is true, but unless you want to s/l multiples times because he woke up for just a second, cast Reflect on himself and now you've probably hit yourself with Stop it's best to have options. Personally I went full back-up kit: kept Shell up in case he got off an attack and brought Dispel for if he cast Reflect, had Stop and Halting Rumba.

In the end the run that did beat him saw him stay constantly Stopped for the entire fight but it took multiple tries before I got that lucky.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i had around 650 MND on my stop users so he was stuck regardless of a few misses

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hit him with Halting Rumba on Yuffie for a hundredth of a second and then blew him the gently caress up with my two mages because Ashe's BSB commands go through reflect.

I also brought Edward for his Haste+Faith-ga ans Y'shtola for SS2 and Esuna so Edward could land full break so I could get full mastery.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Does anybody know if U++ Atlas' physical attacks respect Draw Fire/Retaliate mechanics? Being able to take care of both its counters and the attacks that cause Sap seems like it would make that fight a lot easier.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i had around 650 MND on my stop users so he was stuck regardless of a few misses

Yeah, I'm speaking as someone who could barely field about 350+ Mind on two healers.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Does anybody know if U++ Atlas' physical attacks respect Draw Fire/Retaliate mechanics? Being able to take care of both its counters and the attacks that cause Sap seems like it would make that fight a lot easier.
Given how the Difficulty 99 fight went, it seems as if everything in his rotation that's not Roar or Crushing Grasp (both NAT magical AoEs) is PHY-typed and thus viable for being blocked by Draw Fire. That said, I dunno what the counters will look like since D99 Atlas had none and he's otherwise never appeared as an in-game boss before this event. At least some folks who've experienced it in JP have claimed that they're physical...

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 14, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks for the heads up on the Ashe BSB RW, made Omega into a joke. Kinda regret crafting Halting Rumba though, since Selphie with R3 stop was enough to keep him locked down for the entire fight and the one time I used Rumba (through Tyro) he broke out of it like half a second later, vs. Stop lasting like 10 seconds in his first phase. He did wake up once in his second phase and Flamethrower everyone for 5k damage, which brought the entire party to critical status, but thankfully none of my Stops missed and I got him shut down and used Garnet's BSB to finish him off since my RWed BSBs wore off just a touch too early.

Oh well, Rumba will be useful later and it's not like it was an expensive skill, all told. I think I just need to dive Tyro because so far he just sucks rear end at every single thing and is basically useless unless I need some weird skill combo that literally nobody else can do. Doesn't help that I can't get any of his relics for the life of me.

I'm really tempted to pull on Keeper's Choice 2 for Sentinel's Grimoire, but there's such a huge chance of getting dupes. I've already got Platinum Sword, 2 Masamunes, Shear Trigger, and Bartz' Excalibur, so that's like 75% of the good stuff.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Thanks for the heads up on the Ashe BSB RW, made Omega into a joke. Kinda regret crafting Halting Rumba though, since Selphie with R3 stop was enough to keep him locked down for the entire fight and the one time I used Rumba (through Tyro) he broke out of it like half a second later, vs. Stop lasting like 10 seconds in his first phase. He did wake up once in his second phase and Flamethrower everyone for 5k damage, which brought the entire party to critical status, but thankfully none of my Stops missed and I got him shut down and used Garnet's BSB to finish him off since my RWed BSBs wore off just a touch too early.

Oh well, Rumba will be useful later and it's not like it was an expensive skill, all told. I think I just need to dive Tyro because so far he just sucks rear end at every single thing and is basically useless unless I need some weird skill combo that literally nobody else can do. Doesn't help that I can't get any of his relics for the life of me.

I'm really tempted to pull on Keeper's Choice 2 for Sentinel's Grimoire, but there's such a huge chance of getting dupes. I've already got Platinum Sword, 2 Masamunes, Shear Trigger, and Bartz' Excalibur, so that's like 75% of the good stuff.

Yeah, the Rumba being terrible there was one hundred percent it being on Tyro. I initially tried using it on Yuffie myself and had the same problem. Then I switched to Lenna who I could get a high mind total on and it worked much better. As for Sentinel Grimoire, I believe you'll probably be better served waiting for OSBFest. If the banners don't shift too much it should be on the same banner as Tidus's OSB and BSB, which I don't recall you saying you had either of.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

LornMarkus posted:

Yeah, the Rumba being terrible there was one hundred percent it being on Tyro. I initially tried using it on Yuffie myself and had the same problem. Then I switched to Lenna who I could get a high mind total on and it worked much better. As for Sentinel Grimoire, I believe you'll probably be better served waiting for OSBFest. If the banners don't shift too much it should be on the same banner as Tidus's OSB and BSB, which I don't recall you saying you had either of.

Ah, nice! Yeah I don't have anything for Tidus, so that would be a good banner since I already leveled him up for his RMs anyway.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Guys. I'm down to one randomly obtained Record Materia, Josef's. I want to get these over and done with before Pokémon comes out, so I'm working on it today. Getting 4 out of 5 is pretty nice (including Noel), but if I could get this last one it'd be just awesome. Wish me luck.

EDIT: Literally two minutes later I get it. Done!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the difference between a high- and low-mind caster using rumba/stop is night and day. if you're -250 mind from the target it almost doesn't have a duration at all

this is also why Shadowbind is so underwhelming - getting a significant amount of both mind and attack on a Cel4 character isn't easy.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grozz Nuy posted:

(from my JP version guide on Reddit, linked to in the main Time's Arrow megathread)

quote:

Moveset (Default: >80% HP):

3/113 chance: Attack (PHY: deal 110% physical damage to one target)
10/113 chance, unlocks turn 3: Punch (PHY: deal 110% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)
20/113 chance, unlocks turn 3: Pulverize (NAT: deal 250% magical non-elemental damage to all targets, remove all positive status effects from all targets, and remove all negative status effects from self)
50/113 chance, unlocks turn 3: Double Bash (PHY: deal 188% physical damage twice to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)
30/113 chance, unlocks turn 3: Roar (NAT: deal 350% magical non-elemental damage to all targets)
15% chance to activate in response to physical attacks: Counter Punch (PHY: deal 110% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)
15% chance to activate in response to white magic: Counter Punch (PHY: deal 110% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)
15% chance to activate in response to black magic: Counter Punch (PHY: deal 110% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)

Moveset (Weak: 45%-80% HP):

10/105 chance: Punch (PHY: deal 110% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)
25/105 chance: Double Bash (PHY: deal 188% physical damage twice to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)
20/105 chance: Pulverize (NAT: deal 250% magical non-elemental damage to all targets, remove all positive status effects from all targets, and remove all negative status effects from self)
30/105 chance: 凶 Roar (NAT: deal 450% magical non-elemental damage to all targets)
20/105 chance: Triple Punch (PHY: deal 140% physical damage three times to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)
25% chance to activate in response to physical attacks: Counter Hook (PHY: deal 200% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)
25% chance to activate in response to white magic: Counter Hook (PHY: deal 200% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)
25% chance to activate in response to black magic: Counter Hook (PHY: deal 200% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)

Moveset (Very Weak: <45% HP):

5/115 chance: Punch (PHY: deal 110% physical damage to one target, with a 33% chance to Sap them)
25/115 chance: Double Bash (PHY: deal 188% physical damage twice to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)
30/115 chance: Pulverize (NAT: deal 250% magical non-elemental damage to all targets, remove all positive status effects from all targets, and remove all negative status effects from self)
30/115 chance: 凶 Roar (NAT: deal 450% magical non-elemental damage to all targets)
25/115 chance: Triple Punch (PHY: deal 140% physical damage three times to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)
30% chance to activate in response to physical attacks: Counter Triple Punch (PHY: deal 140% physical damage three times to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)
30% chance to activate in response to white magic: Counter Triple Punch (PHY: deal 140% physical damage three times to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)
30% chance to activate in response to black magic: Counter Triple Punch (PHY: deal 140% physical damage three times to random targets, with a 15% chance to Sap them)

Strategies: Atlas's physical attacks are all susceptible to Draw Fire + Retaliate, so you only have to gear for magical mitigation. Keep in mind that roughly half of his attacks are AOE magic, and he can strip your status effect buffs (Haste, Regen, Shell, etc). Stuff like Sentinel's Grimoire, the Boost component of Shout, Draw Fire, and Retaliate are unaffected by Pulverize, but he can strip your Haste as often as he wants pretty much. Expect a long, grueling fight. Note that he is vulnerable to Slow, but once you get him to 80% or less HP it barely has any effect on his turn count. You might as well keep him Slowed throughout the whole fight, but don't spend time doing that if you have anything better to do with the character.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alxprit posted:

Guys. I'm down to one randomly obtained Record Materia, Josef's. I want to get these over and done with before Pokémon comes out, so I'm working on it today. Getting 4 out of 5 is pretty nice (including Noel), but if I could get this last one it'd be just awesome. Wish me luck.

EDIT: Literally two minutes later I get it. Done!

Nice. The stupid core characters refuse to drop theirs. I've been dragging around Black Mage and Bard through every event stage up to the bonus battles for months now trying to get theirs, PLUS being in my Mondaily lineup. Now I've got White Mage and Monk to deal with too (plus Larsa and Noel and Guy). Just drop your stupid RMs, you worthless sacks of core crap!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Ah, nice! Yeah I don't have anything for Tidus, so that would be a good banner since I already leveled him up for his RMs anyway.

Yeah, don't remember where the nice picture of it is but (assuming they don't shuffle anything) the full Banner would be: Tidus OSB, Zidane BSB, Faris BSB, Tidus BSB, Freya's Six Dragons, Garnet's Divine Guardian, Rosa's Divine Heal, Leon's Darkborn Blade and Sentinel Grimoire.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Schwartzcough posted:

Nice. The stupid core characters refuse to drop theirs. I've been dragging around Black Mage and Bard through every event stage up to the bonus battles for months now trying to get theirs, PLUS being in my Mondaily lineup. Now I've got White Mage and Monk to deal with too (plus Larsa and Noel and Guy). Just drop your stupid RMs, you worthless sacks of core crap!
If it helps, white mage's RM3 is literally the exact same thing as Vanille's Pulse Kindness, so you can safely skip it

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If it helps, white mage's RM3 is literally the exact same thing as Vanille's Pulse Kindness, so you can safely skip it

Skip it? You don't understand the completionist crowd here, do you?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I've noticed FFRK has severely corrected for Tauntilate with PHY type attacks that can't be countered.

I wonder if we'll soon see indirect nerfs to RW BSB tactics because they are way too useful once you start gaming the friends list. I doubt DENA expected databases of friends codes.

Probably it'll end up something like if you summon a RW it triggers a counter for the U+ and above fights

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

I've noticed FFRK has severely corrected for Tauntilate with PHY type attacks that can't be countered.

I wonder if we'll soon see indirect nerfs to RW BSB tactics because they are way too useful once you start gaming the friends list. I doubt DENA expected databases of friends codes.

Probably it'll end up something like if you summon a RW it triggers a counter for the U+ and above fights

Actually the nerf has been that the vast majority of high end fights are deadly mostly from powerful AOE magic. And more recently they've been leaning on piercing AOEs, both physical and magical, to get around the supremacy of walls.

Hell, the most recent FFIII event in JP had a Xande U+ where he used an 800% Piercing Meteor and it was brutal.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What ability should I bring on Tidus (with Leap & Rush SB and Full Charge)? I've been bringing Powerchain to use before the first L&R cast but I'm wondering if there is a better option

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the piercing stuff isn't too bad if you have stackable breaks ready to go

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Grrr, the only thing holding me back from trouncing the Cid Mission is a decent medica. Shared ain't gonna cut it here and I need all damage on deck to break those orbs. Stupid AoE-spamming rear end in a top hat. *grumble*

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm glad I one-shot the U+, if I had to listen to that insanely bad rap one more time...

e: The U++ is a loving jerk

"oh did you just apply hastega? :smuggo: no you didn't"

I didn't end up mastering it because slow never landed on him, and lol if you think I'm doing that fight again just for some loving upgrade materials. I'm taking my fire/earth crystals and running, thanks

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 15, 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Ultimates all down with CM complete. Pulled out mastery on U++ by the skin of my teeth, got just enough medals. So I guess I can put off pulling for XIII synergy for now. Hopefully I get something from a lucky draw or OSB Fest so I can skip the Lightning OSB banners as well and hold out until Fang OSB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I was sitting here pondering my potential Wind-element based team, and it occurred to me I have a potentially decent setup for a Holy-element team:

Paladin Cecil with Paladin Force
Firion with Weaponsmaster
Cid Raines with Seraphic Ray
Aerith with White Materia and Pulse of Life
Penelo with Intercession and Mincing Minuet

I've got two +Holy swords (Excalibur IV+ and Sun Blade II), Basch's +Holy shield (which I'm kinda regretting fusing up to a 6* now, but eh, life goes on), and a ton of staves and rods with +Holy for the casters.

What kind of ability/RM setup should I be looking to run with these guys?

• Locked thread