Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

And if you do, maybe consider making a more constructive demand than the resignation of someone who's going to be stepping down shortly anyway

Make Bernie president!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

I legitimately wonder if Obama knew they were ignoring the rust belt as much as they were or if he just assumed they were largely doing what his own campaigns did, since obviously he's the loving president may or may not have had time to look at what they were actually doing.

If I had to guess I'd say it's the latter, yea. I think he just figured 'well they're gonna do what I did to win that area since by all accounts it'll still work, especially with this idiot going around showing 'empathy' by gently patting a black lady's arm from a foot away'. I don't blame him, it's what anyone who isn't an idiot would do, and yea, as president I kinda would hope he has more things to do than micromanage the DNC.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Zythrst posted:

Seriously stop trying to give Pharma lobbyist, super delegate loving , twitter baby Howie Dean any kind of power.

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/706219827535462401?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lol yeah run this dude. Another "progressive" who is in it for nobody but him and his buddies.

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

edit: wrong thread

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If I had to guess I'd say it's the latter, yea. I think he just figured 'well they're gonna do what I did to win that area since by all accounts it'll still work, especially with this idiot going around showing 'empathy' by gently patting a black lady's arm from a foot away'. I don't blame him, it's what anyone who isn't an idiot would do, and yea, as president I kinda would hope he has more things to do than micromanage the DNC.

honeslty I also can't help but wonder if Obama would have been shrugged off just as Bill was if he'd noticed and said something

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/Cato_of_Utica/status/798205011499094016
https://twitter.com/Cato_of_Utica/status/798211920084013056
p much

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
for some reason I keep reading the title as America is Great because America is Food and i get confused

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Venom Snake posted:

We have to SELL Hill. She's deeply unpopular.

*spends a fucktillion dollars on ads and marketing*

result: Hillary favorability +1. Trump favorability -48. Trump wins the Presidency

What I said about the Kool-Aide wasn't really intended as a dig, and I hope that anyone with a "progressive" bone who has read what you have written can see that you clearly were really and sincerely trying to do the right thing, and I don't think that there is any merit in putting blame on you or any other staffers unduly. I appreciate greatly your selfconcious and humble take on an effort that you invested so much of your heart in. Regardless of what anyone might say otherwise, you are very much leading the way forward. We're lucky to have you.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

logikv9 posted:

for some reason I keep reading the title as America is Great because America is Food and i get confused

Had Clinton said this, no one would have disagreed.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I legitimately wonder if Obama knew they were ignoring the rust belt as much as they were or if he just assumed they were largely doing what his own campaigns did, since obviously he's the loving president may or may not have had time to look at what they were actually doing.

I don't necessarily want to say Obama didn't care, but from the articles coming out (and the reality of how badly they've done in Senate, House, and State campaigns), the issues facing the DNC are more than just ideological- they've been structurally weak for more than a decade. Beyond just bad leadership, they do not have the ability to mobilize in the way people imagine they could based on Obama For America's success in 2008/2012.

I don't think anyone here will agree with me, but I'm starting to lean more towards Dean for DNC chair. Yes it's a risk to moving the party left- but there needs to be some serious management there to get the party ready to win states.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

DaveWoo posted:

And if you do, maybe consider making a more constructive demand than the resignation of someone who's going to be stepping down shortly anyway

gently caress that. She should leave in disgrace because she deserves it, not resign because she wants to.

E: Also, demand Bernie for chair if he is willing to shoulder the burden. If not, let's have Keith Ellison. But then again, I'm not the type to tell people to fall in line. *Kermit sips some lovely tea*

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Nov 14, 2016

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I don't necessarily want to say Obama didn't care, but from the articles coming out (and the reality of how badly they've done in Senate, House, and State campaigns), the issues facing the DNC are more than just ideological- they've been structurally weak for more than a decade. Beyond just bad leadership, they do not have the ability to mobilize in the way people imagine they could based on Obama For America's success in 2008/2012.

I don't think anyone here will agree with me, but I'm starting to lean more towards Dean for DNC chair. Yes it's a risk to moving the party left- but there needs to be some serious management there to get the party ready to win states.

I wouldn't be super opposed to an Ellison Dean co chair...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Venom Snake posted:

Whats currently giving dems a chance in Texas is the cities + latino's. If you bled off even a few percentage points of the rural white vote by offering some Great Society stuff blue Texas isn't that hard to imagine. Same goes for Arizona. NV is safe blue going forward.

Long term it does go blue but there is still a sizable amount of Latino support for the GOP because of energy. It'd help if the Democrats had some sort of energy plan that wasn't "gently caress everything". If you really want to get on a voter's bad side try attacking their way of living.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

NumberLast posted:

I wouldn't be super opposed to an Ellison Dean co chair...

If that's a thing then that could work.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrCussMustard posted:

gently caress that. She should leave in disgrace because she deserves it, not resign because she wants to.

And what would that accomplish, beyond making you feel better for a little while?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MrCussMustard posted:

E: Also, demand Bernie for chair if he is willing to shoulder the burden. If not, let's have Keith Ellison. But then again, I'm not the type to tell people to fall in line. *Kermit sips some lovely tea*

Gotta pick your battles honestly. She got fired from her other job, I don't mind if she leaves this one peacefully as long as she leaves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well how is dean? is he better then Ellison? because we definatly need to the populist push now once we get on our feet.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

DaveWoo posted:

And what would that accomplish, beyond making you feel better for a little while?

I say this because she fed the Clinton campaign the debate questions before the debate. And that, my friend, is corruption. Which none of us, D or R, should abide.

Geez, another E: Corruption because you don't do something like that unless you expect something in return. It sullies the liberal cause and robs us of our democratic principals.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Nov 14, 2016

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

dean has experience with the 50 state strategy of taking back state houses and the landslides of 2006 and 2008. also ran a completely fair democratic primary despite enormous pressure from the clinton's

downside is he became a lobbyist after the dnc for phara and was a big hillary booster during the primary

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

It would send the message that incompetence will not be tolerated?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well how is dean? is he better then Ellison? because we definatly need to the populist push now once we get on our feet.

Zythrst posted:

Seriously stop trying to give Pharma lobbyist, super delegate loving , twitter baby Howie Dean any kind of power.

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/706219827535462401?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Depends on what you mean by better. What I think the high level pros are for each:

Ellison: probably best represents ideologically where (many here) would like the party to go. Young and energized. Would probably easily pick up the Bernie banner.

Dean: experienced and had success at the position. Can commit to it full time. Probably understands the structural work that needs to be done better.

Maybe we can draft both of them, try to give each 12 carries a game, and see which one proves out.

poo poo wait that's my plan if I owned the Chicago Bears.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zikan posted:

dean has experience with the 50 state strategy of taking back state houses and the landslides of 2006 and 2008. also ran a completely fair democratic primary despite enormous pressure from the clinton's

downside is he became a lobbyist after the dnc for phara and was a big hillary booster during the primary

I mean I guess it's me still being a ~pragmatist~ but I just can't imagine a mindset of 'yea he's basically perfect for the job and has done literally what we need before already...but he did a thing I don't like...' being any less dangerous than the one of 'uh clearly we can learn nothing from this and we just need to repackage Clinton as a cute young black guy to win????'

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrCussMustard posted:

I say this because she fed the Clinton campaign the debate questions before the debate. And that, my friend, is corruption. Which none of us, D or R, should abide.

That doesn't answer my question.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It would send the message that incompetence will not be tolerated?

It'd be empty symbolism at best. The far more important issue is what to do now going forward.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
How about you kick Brazile out, let Dean step in as interim to bridge the gap between the establishment and the progressives and he's done it before so won't spend the whole time learning the job, and then get a progressive in when they vote early next year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Depends on what you mean by better. What I think the high level pros are for each:

Ellison: probably best represents ideologically where (many here) would like the party to go. Young and energized. Would probably easily pick up the Bernie banner.

Dean: experienced and had success at the position. Can commit to it full time. Probably understands the structural work that needs to be done better.

Maybe we can draft both of them, try to give each 12 carries a game, and see which one proves out.

poo poo wait that's my plan if I owned the Chicago Bears.

my dream solution is pretty much a split 'co-chairs' situation where they're both at the head. You can even wrap it up in a big lovey-dovey 'hey at the end of the day we're all here to fight for America, not fight each other, right?' thing to avoid the optics of a civil war.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

apparently there is a a group called the "pantsuit nation" calling meetings to "discuss ways to promote change in a Trump presidency" lol: https://www.facebook.com/events/201769866899540

notice the complete lack of any details. definitely a psy op

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/798277136821944321

:bernpop:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
He refuses to say the name Trump. At first I thought it was to reinforce the validity of the election but now I think he just can't bring himself to say out loud that Trump is the president elect.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Cerebral Bore posted:

It would send the message that incompetence cheating will not be tolerated?

FTFY

But seriously, thanks for backing me up. Her actions are going to cost the liberal cause a good deal of credibility, and deservedly so. She tried to tip the scales against Trump in the same way that Wasserman-Schultz did against Sanders, and we all should be above that sort of bullshit. It's undemocratic, and democracy is one of the only things we have going for us right now.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bernie powering up

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Good to see the press is still poo poo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like how after Obama had already walked away from the podium several reporters attempted to ask additional questions anyway, all at the same time. Just Like On TV (c)

Gotta wonder what they think they're accomplishing by doing that

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Zythrst posted:

Good to see the press is still poo poo.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/798188874472259584

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

DaveWoo posted:

That doesn't answer my question.

It'd be empty symbolism at best. The far more important issue is what to do now going forward.

It would set an example for the future. If that doesn't satisfy you, then I am afraid that I didn't understand the question to begin with.

And for the record, I would not feel good feels if she resigned. To me, it is not desirable, it is necessary. I would have been happier if she would have just fulfilled her duties with integrity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

scoops no

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrCussMustard posted:

What I said about the Kool-Aide wasn't really intended as a dig, and I hope that anyone with a "progressive" bone who has read what you have written can see that you clearly were really and sincerely trying to do the right thing, and I don't think that there is any merit in putting blame on you or any other staffers unduly. I appreciate greatly your selfconcious and humble take on an effort that you invested so much of your heart in. Regardless of what anyone might say otherwise, you are very much leading the way forward. We're lucky to have you.

It's fine. I made this thread to be kind of a "what the gently caress happened" thing since I got to bear witness to the inside of the train crash and I knew that people were going to be upset. As for blame I bought the narrative completely. How much I personally did wrong that actually impacted things I don't know. Thank you though. I mean it.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Long term it does go blue but there is still a sizable amount of Latino support for the GOP because of energy. It'd help if the Democrats had some sort of energy plan that wasn't "gently caress everything". If you really want to get on a voter's bad side try attacking their way of living.

Hillary's pro-fracking came up as a point against her many times. It's going to be hard to get the deep blue base on board with an "all of the above" energy policy when global warming is undoubtedly going to get worse.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

loquacius posted:

I like how after Obama had already walked away from the podium several reporters attempted to ask additional questions anyway, all at the same time. Just Like On TV (c)

Gotta wonder what they think they're accomplishing by doing that

(Obama pauses halfway away from the podium) "sayyyyy that is a good question.... Yes i am a us citizen"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, but this guy understands messaging better than anyone in the DNC or Clinton's campaign. One of the only silver linings for me right now is that he's probably one of the most popular politicians in America and he's got a lot of clout right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

loquacius posted:

Gotta pick your battles honestly. She got fired from her other job, I don't mind if she leaves this one peacefully as long as she leaves.

I find more common ground with this response than than the one accusing me of feeling good when someone gets fired. But seriously, I don't want to go to war about any of it. We're all friends here. Except PCOS. I hear he might be a bot.

• Locked thread