Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Clinton's GOTV hitting anywhere from 5-20% trump voters is the perfect signature for that delusional mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm really curious as to how Kaep thinks change is going to occur.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Trick question he didn't have that part figured out because athletes are idiots

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Itt a collection of mostly white upper middle class college educated dudes telling a hyper rich mixed race guy the way he chooses to advocate for an oppressed class is invalid because he chooses to not participate in said oppressive system (through the minor agency it grants him as a means of projecting a false sense of self determination)

The aristocrats

I think most of us are saying that the way he advocates is incredibly good and awesome and that we support much of his protest. We also disagree with his stance on this one matter. I don't know if any of us posted that he has invalidated all of his other points with one bad opinion; I know I never voiced that. If someone else did voice that you should quote his post and call him out instead of building up this ridiculous "with literally everything Kaep has said ever or against him" strawman you're getting ready to burn.

weird Asian candy posted:

Counterpoint. There were actual people who voted for a dead gorilla in this election...

pubic works project posted:

15,000 of them!!

Nope.
http://www.snopes.com/harambe-15000-votes/
When you have 100 million votes some of them will be frivolous, but I'd focus more on the 1 million idiots who voted for an anti-vaccer.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ah, right, my bad. Kaepernick and the underprivileged yutes he's mentoring. They're the future of the GOP. What was I thinking that's just more votes for Trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My guess would be he A.) believes it cannot be changed and has taken on a philosophy of disengagement. B.) He's a literal Marxist who believes violent revolution is our only savior.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Where's that tweet about getting mad when black people express their politics in ways you don't like

Voting is the foundation stone for political action. So long as I do not firmly and irrevocably possess the right to vote I do not possess myself. I cannot make up my mind — it is made up for me. I cannot live as a democratic citizen, observing the laws I have helped to enact — I can only submit to the edict of others. Let us march on ballot boxes until the salient misdeeds of bloodthirsty mobs will be transformed into the calculated good deeds of orderly citizens.

quote:

A.) believes it cannot be changed and has taken on a philosophy of disengagement

It's basically this. He thinks the process is rigged (it is), and that you can't change the system from within (it takes a lot of work, time and coordination), so why bother participating in it.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 14, 2016

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I think most of us are saying that the way he advocates is incredibly good and awesome and that we support much of his protest. We also disagree with his stance on this one matter. I don't know if any of us posted that he has invalidated all of his other points with one bad opinion; I know I never voiced that. If someone else did voice that you should quote his post and call him out instead of building up this ridiculous "with literally everything Kaep has said ever or against him" strawman you're getting ready to burn.

Nope.
http://www.snopes.com/harambe-15000-votes/
When you have 100 million votes some of them will be frivolous, but I'd focus more on the 1 million idiots who voted for an anti-vaccer.

You're right! I confused the meltdowns in here for a different thread.

People voted for a (not actual) anti vaccer because there's always a subset that doesn't see a moral obligation to compromise. Hillary didn't lose because of those people.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't know what is in Kaepernick's mind, but tons of black Americans have become disillusioned from the voting process due to the fact that institutionally racist policies are supported by both major political parties in America. Of course there are ballot referendums like the death penalty and parolee ones in CA, those are a good place to make a difference (compared to hoping that Clinton actually does something to reform our police system), and it's a shame Kaepernick didn't vote for those but whatever, he still does a lot of good stuff.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Coldforge posted:

Voting is the foundation stone for political action. So long as I do not firmly and irrevocably possess the right to vote I do not possess myself. I cannot make up my mind — it is made up for me. I cannot live as a democratic citizen, observing the laws I have helped to enact — I can only submit to the edict of others. Let us march on ballot boxes until the salient misdeeds of bloodthirsty mobs will be transformed into the calculated good deeds of orderly citizens.

lt was the black man's vote that put the present administration in Washington, D.C. Your vote, your dumb vote, your ignorant vote, your wasted vote put in an administration in Washington, D.C., that has seen fit to pass every kind of legislation imaginable, saving you until last, then filibustering on top of that. And your and my leaders have the audacity to run around clapping their hands and talk about how much progress we're making. And what a good president we have.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gynecolojustice posted:

it's a shame Kaepernick didn't vote for those but whatever, he still does a lot of good stuff.

:agreed: this is where I stand.

My biggest complaint about him not voting is that a lot of idiots will use it as an excuse to ignore everything else he says. That choice is on the idiots and not Kaepernick, but it does disappoint me that he opened himself up to that criticism. I think the more "publicly aware" (bleh) would have been to ignore the question or just say "I don't believe in either candidate strongly enough to endorse them".

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

lt was the black man's vote that put the present administration in Washington, D.C. Your vote, your dumb vote, your ignorant vote, your wasted vote put in an administration in Washington, D.C., that has seen fit to pass every kind of legislation imaginable, saving you until last, then filibustering on top of that. And your and my leaders have the audacity to run around clapping their hands and talk about how much progress we're making. And what a good president we have.

Going to be really interesting to see what happens to the 1964 Civil Rights Act over the next few years.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Agreed, Obama is a great president, but the next four years are going to turn a potential Harry S Truman into a Ulysses S. Grant. I am very sad.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Shangri-Law School posted:

Obama is a great president

:yikes:

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I don't even know what he wants anymore. The poo poo he's asking to happen is flatout impossible without voting.

That or an actual, physical revolution, but taking a knee during a sporting event isn't exactly a strong way to spur people to action

Prozach fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 14, 2016

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Prozach posted:

I don't even know what he wants anymore. The poo poo he's asking to happen is flatout impossible without voting.

Fisk implied that Kap is following some of Malcolm X's advice in his "The Ballot or the Bullet" speech. Which is, I think, "A ballot is like a bullet. You don't throw your ballots until you see a target, and if that target is not within your reach, keep your ballot in your pocket." (which could be interpreted as "if the candidate you want isn't available, don't vote") But that's a speech that needs to very much be put in context, and especially that section of the speech, as he was partially putting pressure on Johnson to get the Civil Rights Act passed in the face of Dixiecrat obstruction.

"f the black man in these Southern states had his full voting rights, the key Dixiecrats in Washington, D. C., which means the key Democrats in Washington, D.C., would lose their seats. The Democratic Party itself would lose its power. It would cease to be powerful as a party. When you see the amount of power that would be lost by the Democratic Party if it were to lose the Dixiecrat wing, or branch, or element, you can see where it's against the interests of the Democrats to give voting rights to Negroes in states where the Democrats have been in complete power and authority ever since the Civil War

That's why, in 1964, it's time now for you and me to become more politically mature and realize what the ballot is for; what we're supposed to get when we cast a ballot; and that if we don't cast a ballot, it's going to end up in a situation where we're going to have to cast a bullet. It's either a ballot or a bullet.

Lyndon B. Johnson is the head of the Democratic Party. If he's for civil rights, let him go into the Senate next week and declare himself. Let him go in there right now and declare himself. Let him go in there and denounce the Southern branch of his party. Let him go in there right now and take a moral stand -- right now, not later. Tell him, don't wait until election time. If he waits too long, brothers and sisters, he will be responsible for letting a condition develop in this country which will create a climate that will bring seeds up out of the ground with vegetation on the end of them looking like something these people never dreamed of. In 1964, it's the ballot or the bullet."

It's a hugely important speech, and everyone should read or listen to it. To answer you directly, I think Kap is still finding his particular answers, it's just unfortunate that he's doing it on a very public stage.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 14, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coldforge posted:

Fisk implied that Kap is following some of Malcolm X's advice in his "The Ballot or the Bullet" speech. Which is, I think, "A ballot is like a bullet. You don't throw your ballots until you see a target, and if that target is not within your reach, keep your ballot in your pocket." (which could be interpreted as "if the candidate you want isn't available, don't vote") But that's a speech that needs to very much be put in context, and especially that section of the speech, as he was partially putting pressure on Johnson to get the Civil Rights Act passed in the face of Dixiecrat obstruction.

"f the black man in these Southern states had his full voting rights, the key Dixiecrats in Washington, D. C., which means the key Democrats in Washington, D.C., would lose their seats. The Democratic Party itself would lose its power. It would cease to be powerful as a party. When you see the amount of power that would be lost by the Democratic Party if it were to lose the Dixiecrat wing, or branch, or element, you can see where it's against the interests of the Democrats to give voting rights to Negroes in states where the Democrats have been in complete power and authority ever since the Civil War

That's why, in 1964, it's time now for you and me to become more politically mature and realize what the ballot is for; what we're supposed to get when we cast a ballot; and that if we don't cast a ballot, it's going to end up in a situation where we're going to have to cast a bullet. It's either a ballot or a bullet.

Lyndon B. Johnson is the head of the Democratic Party. If he's for civil rights, let him go into the Senate next week and declare himself. Let him go in there right now and declare himself. Let him go in there and denounce the Southern branch of his party. Let him go in there right now and take a moral stand -- right now, not later. Tell him, don't wait until election time. If he waits too long, brothers and sisters, he will be responsible for letting a condition develop in this country which will create a climate that will bring seeds up out of the ground with vegetation on the end of them looking like something these people never dreamed of. In 1964, it's the ballot or the bullet."

It's a hugely important speech, and everyone should read or listen to it. To answer you directly, I think Kap is still finding his particular answers, it's just unfortunate that he's doing it on a very public stage.

Thanks for posting that. Malcolm owned, and he might be my favorite civil rights activist of the 20th century. :allears:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Coldforge posted:

This is a great point and that's a great speech. If Kaep had some kind of coherent plan for leverage it would be one thing. And it's weird, because it became clear that he had put a lot of thought into his protest and minimized the ammo he gave to his critics.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, Evans is my new Sit Hero.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Chilichimp posted:

What if he also didn't vote

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Gynecolojustice posted:

He didn't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

Kaep is still mine. Plus the way his fro sticks out the back of his helmet is cool. Looks like an old school neck roll.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gynecolojustice posted:

He's my sit hero because the reason he won't stand anymore resonates with me.

Also, he's the best player on my fantasy team.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if a bucs player is the best player on your fantasy team, you are not going to win your league.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

TBeats posted:

if a bucs player is the best player on your fantasy team, you are not going to win your league.

Lmao have you seen the numbers Evans puts up?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I understand how Kap feels because I felt pretty disenfranchised and I'm not even a minority. But there's still downticket races, even in California, and propositions, and simple fact is, vote is speech. Passing up speech is passing up a chance to protest, and I figure if you're going to kneel, you need to kneel with your vote to and make it as loud as possible, even if it's a vote of no confidence in both systems.

So, I understand his cynicism, but disagree heartily without demonizing him as an idiot or anything like that. He's reckoning with his identity. We all are. It's not something that ends with, "Trump bad, racism bad," that's for drat sure.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Yeah. And if he's the best player on your fantasy team you're not going to win your league.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Coldforge posted:

He didn't.

But, wait, isn't Evans's protest entirely about how Trump got elected? But he didn't vote for any other candidate?

Trump winning was pretty unexpected so I guess I can buy the claim that he didn't think worst case scenario was going to happen, but that kinda shows why you need to engage with the process in the first place. It's more understandable than Kap's position I guess is what I'm saying.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Prozach posted:

But, wait, isn't Evans's protest entirely about how Trump got elected? But he didn't vote for any other candidate?

Trump winning was pretty unexpected so I guess I can buy the claim that he didn't think worst case scenario was going to happen, but that kinda shows why you need to engage with the process in the first place. It's more understandable than Kap's position I guess is what I'm saying.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/mike-evans-wrote-on-instagram-he-didnt-vote-in-election/2302766

quote:

mOn Tuesday, as the nation waited for election results between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, fellow Bucs receiver Louis Murphy posted a question on Instagram: "Who voted? Who didn't?" Mike Evans, using his official account that has 277,000 followers, posted a comment saying "No" in response.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

He is literally my 4th best receiver after Dez Bryant, O'Dell Beckham, and Tyler Eifert. I'm in a 12 man PPR league with fellow TFFer Flikken.

:lol:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Pretend "Subzero" was "Sit Hero" here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ25ikUKVY

quote:

Here is #Bucs WR Mike Evans' statement that was just sent to me: I want to start by apologizing to all the U.S. military members, their families, and the fans who I offended by my actions on Sunday. It was never my intention as I have tremendous respect for the men and women who serve our country.

I have very strong emotions regarding some of the many issues that exist in our society today. I chose to sit as an expression of my frustration towards this year’s election. It was very personal for me, as it was for so many Americans.

With that being said, I will not sit again during the National Anthem because I want to focus my efforts on finding more effective ways to communicate my message and bring about change by supporting organizations and movements that fight for equal rights for minorities.

This Sunday, I will be back to standing with my teammates.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All our heroes are dead

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

All our heroes are dead

They're not my heroes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

incompetent posted:

They're not my heroes.

You're not Chris James "our". :owned:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
America is loving ridiculous....

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I guess this goes here.

ESPN posted:

Five NFL players on Tuesday traveled to Capitol Hill to discuss police brutality and race issues with members of Congress, including a possible meeting with Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.

The meetings were conceived by Detroit Lions wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who is known for his off-the-field community work. The group will include four other players -- Boldin's teammate, safety Glover Quin; Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins; and Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown and wide receiver Andrew Hawkins.

Boldin told ESPN's Jim Trotter that he asked those players because they are "all guys who are well-respected in the league and who have the same goal as myself."

The players are scheduled to meet with Reps. Patrick Murphy, D-Florida; Keith Ellison, D-Minnesota; and Daniel Webster, R-Florida, as well as members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

The meetings were organized by Andrew Blejwas, an associate director of marketing for The Nature Conservancy who also advises players like Boldin on how they can have more influence off the field. The NFL Players Association also worked to arrange the meetings with Ryan, R-Wisconsin, and with some members of the White House staff.

Boldin told Trotter there's a "huge mistrust" between the police and the African-American community.

"I want to help close that gap," he said.

McCown, the only white player in the group, said he's going to listen.

"I don't believe we, as white people, can understand what African-Americans go through on a daily basis, because it's different," McCown said. "For me, first and foremost, I want to be able to acknowledge that, and say that our stories are different and our histories are different, but let's just try to be a part of making it better moving forward."

Good for all of them. Good for McCown.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

incompetent posted:

They're not my heroes.

Hey, yo, gently caress your heroes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
God

Goddammit Colin

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article114803073.html

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Considering what he said that isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Oh my god, everything he has said and done about police brutality has suddenly become invalid!

• Locked thread