Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Tim Faust, who made the "Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer" t-shirt and promotes the arts, says:

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/796972512269705216

"I've been very upset about this for the past few days—though I'm often very upset—specifically with the revelation that Dem efforts often 'activated Trump voters.

• We are seeing the most savage consequence of data-determinism in campaigns; the turgid insistence that, because a voter's expected vote can be generally predicted by demographic or historical data, persuasion must exclusively be microtargeted

• The outsourcing of critical thought to a third-party Model (itself built by former party officials, purchased by a campaign by their friends), with nobody adequately incentivized to poke, test, or destroy it.

• increasing belief that, because of the success of OFA's efficient organizing structure, campaigns can be Taylorized—which results in little to no low-level data which might question the Model flowing upstream. Activating a bunch of Trump voters in North Carolina is dismissed as a 'fluke'—and there's nobody with the permission, space, or data to figure out when those 'flukes', in aggregate, indicate a hidden confounding variable.

• Criminally negligent software. The private sector would never tolerate models with the long-ranging inaccuracies as the Civis b2b product—I know, because I've seen that process happen three or four times. Nor would anyone—not even those Facebook spam sites that try to sell you shirts with your last name on them—ever tolerate for a minute NGPVAN's garbageware."

platzapS has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

He's going nuclear

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/798279261106880514

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-Xi5zEoXE

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

keith ellison update: civil war looks more like a palace coup

quote:

Rep. Keith Ellison formally announced his candidacy to be chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

"I am proud to announce my candidacy for Chair of the Democratic National Committee, and if given the opportunity to serve, I will work tirelessly to make the Democratic Party an organization that brings us together and advances an agenda that improves people’s lives," Ellison said in a statement released Monday afternoon.

The Minnesota congressman had been laying the groundwork to run for DNC chairman even before the deep losses Democrats suffered on Election Day. In recent days, his efforts have begun to come into public view.

Ellison, who played a prominent role in Sen. Bernie Sanders presidential campaign, has already been endorsed for chairman by Sanders and Sens. Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid, as well as Rep. Raul Grijalva, co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. Sen. Elizabeth Warren also said Ellison would make a "terrific" chairman.

In his announcement Monday, Ellison rolled out additional endorsements from prominent Democrats including Sens. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Chris Murphy of Connecticut — both supporters of Hillary Clinton's presidential bid — Hawaii Democratic Party chairman Tim Vandeveer, former Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, and Minnesota Democratic Party chairman Ken Martin, among others.

Rybak had often been mentioned as a possible candidate for DNC chairman himself.

"Having worked on elections and social movements with Keith Ellison for more than two decades, I can say I have never seen him campaign only for himself," Rybak said in his statement. "More a community organization than a politician, Keith has used every campaign to protect every voter's rights, expand our party's base, include those left behind and elevate new leaders. That is exactly what the Democratic Party needs right now."

Ellison's support from Klobuchar and Murphy was viewed as a sign that the Minnesota congressman might be able to attract support from beyond the Sanders wing of the party — his base of support. Many Democratic leaders in Washington and the states fear the chairmanship race could devolve into a repeat of the Clinton-Sanders primary.

"I think there is a great deal to be said for putting an active Sanders supporter in there. I want to go into 2020 without these kinds of suspicions and paranoia," former Rep. Barney Frank, who backed Clinton, said Monday.

Going into the weekend, Ellison was still reaching out to Democrats around the country to gauge support for his prospective candidacy. Virginia Democratic Party Chairwoman Susan Swecker was among those who received a call from Ellison. Swecker said Ellison called and, while he didn't say that he was running, the timing seemed to indicate that.

"We had a nice conversation, I expect to hear from some others," Swecker said Monday of her call with Ellison, who didn't explicitly say that he was running. Swecker said she hasn't decided who she'll support in the DNC race.

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean has already announced that he's running for DNC chairman and the field of candidates is likely to expand. Last week, Dean argued that Ellison couldn't adequately serve as both DNC chairman and as a member of Congress.

"You cannot do this job and sit in a political office at the same time. It's not possible," Dean said in an interview on MSNBC. That view is shared by critics of Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz's tenure as DNC chairwoman.

But Ellison's supporters insist that the Minnesota congressman can juggle both jobs.

"I think he's completely equipped to hold both jobs," said former Nevada Democratic National Committeewoman Erin Bilbray, a former backer of Sanders' presidential campaign. Ellison also supported Sanders in the Democratic primary.

Asked about Dean's bid, Bilbray said she didn't have anything against the former DNC chairman but that there needs to be "fresh leadership with new ideas."

"I believe very strongly that the Sanders base is the future of our Democratic party, that is where the party's going between the millennials and Gen-Xers," Bilbray said. "They want new ideas and I think Ellison represents that. Dean is a good man but he comes from a different era."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnP6OM5NBH0

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I tried reading the replies to that tweet, imagining an outpouring of support for the only strong Democratic figure still standing and the de facto leader of what may well become its new ruling faction

how loving dumb am I

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

loquacius posted:

I tried reading the replies to that tweet, imagining an outpouring of support for the only strong Democratic figure still standing and the de facto leader of what may well become its new ruling faction

how loving dumb am I

oh my god it's 50% primary salt and 50% more primary salt fuckfuckfukcufkcukf

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

platzapS posted:

A campaign data director/progressive activist/backyard wrestling Tim Faust says:

"I've been very upset about this for the past few days—though I'm often very upset—specifically with the revelation that Dem efforts often 'activated Trump voters.

• We are seeing the most savage consequence of data-determinism in campaigns; the turgid insistence that, because a voter's expected vote can be generally predicted by demographic or historical data, persuasion must exclusively be microtargeted

• The outsourcing of critical thought to a third-party Model (itself built by former party officials, purchased by a campaign by their friends), with nobody adequately incentivized to poke, test, or destroy it.

• increasing belief that, because of the success of OFA's efficient organizing structure, campaigns can be Taylorized—which results in little to no low-level data which might question the Model flowing upstream. Activating a bunch of Trump voters in North Carolina is dismissed as a 'fluke'—and there's nobody with the permission, space, or data to figure out when those 'flukes', in aggregate, indicate a hidden confounding variable.

• Criminally negligent software. The private sector would never tolerate models with the long-ranging inaccuracies as the Civis b2b product—I know, because I've seen that process happen three or four times. Nor would anyone—not even those Facebook spam sites that try to sell you shirts with your last name on them—ever tolerate for a minute NGPVAN's garbageware."

:bernpop:
No wonder why everything went pear-shaped!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

lets just hold the 2016 dem primary again and select bernie sanders just to shut everyone up

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

logikv9 posted:

What's important now more than ever is being the most correct

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Revisited this New Republic Article from December 2014. Think there's some wishful thinking here but offers an interesting template - Dems should focus efforts on non-voters.

"Democrats Can Win the South Again. Here's a Simple Strategy for Hillary 2016."

quote:

Speaking as a southerner, we need help, not from the DCCC but from government to deal with issues like homelessness and drug addiction. The worst poverty in the United States is in Mississippi, Arizona, New Mexico, Alabama, Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Arkansas, South Carolina and Louisiana. But no Democratic coalition can make a difference here through policy without the support of southern voters, and the visual reassurance of southern politicians.

Democrats can win in Virginia and North Carolina, and at least be competitive in Georgia, Missouri, Kentucky, Arkansas, and West Virginia. The problem is turnout. November’s election saw the worst turnout since 1942, when millions of Americans were overseas fighting in the Second World War.

This is especially true in West Virginia, the state that has shifted most dramatically away from Democrats. Turnout was 77 percent in West Virginia when John F. Kennedy defeated Richard Nixon in 1960; the state voted Democratic. In 1988, turnout was 67 percent and West Virginia voted for Michael Dukakis. But in 2012, state turnout was the worst in the country and West Virginia went for Mitt Romney. But Democrats in West Virginia didn’t become Republicans. They stopped voting.

It draws on some research from this Pew Research study, "The Party of Non-Voters."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Imagine being so reductive a thinker that you blame the entire election loss on one person, and the one person you choose for this honor is Bernie Sanders

e: you only have to scroll for a couple minutes to find people still mad at him for buying that lake house

loquacius has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Nov 14, 2016

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What's important now more than ever is being the most correct

This, with no less irony than was originally intended.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Imagine being so dense you see Hillary Clinton lose an election to Donald Trump, and you think it was because she didn't spend enough money in the Midwest.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

imagine being so salty you see people admitting they are wrong and coming 2 u for guidance and the only guidance u can provide is that they were wrong

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean I guess it's me still being a ~pragmatist~ but I just can't imagine a mindset of 'yea he's basically perfect for the job and has done literally what we need before already...but he did a thing I don't like...' being any less dangerous than the one of 'uh clearly we can learn nothing from this and we just need to repackage Clinton as a cute young black guy to win????'

Let him do his fundraising strategy, let him coordinate GOTV, let him run the Primary, don't let him chose the candidates.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah that huge congressional approval rating is what Democrats need to be aiming at

Fuuuuck sakes

Congress has a low approval rating primarily because it can't get anything done, and this is largely because Congress members can't use things like earmarks and committee appointments anymore as a way of rewarding good behavior and compromise. Congress was killed largely by dogooders who wanted to end corruption and graft.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Dean: experienced and had success at the position. Can commit to it full time. Probably understands the structural work that needs to be done better.

Not concern trolling: Has Dean given any indication whatsoever that he wants to institute the kind of deep structure reform needed to prevent another Hillary campaign?

Please spare me any speculation about Dean having an incentive to listen to the voters or else get kicked out. We just watched the voter base fail to show up and defend their own best interests out in a spectacular way.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Imagine being so reductive a thinker that you blame the entire election loss on one person, and the one person you choose for this honor is Bernie Sanders

*gently strokes large pile of cash stacked in the shape of a cat* Yes...Sanders is to blame...

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Peel posted:

reality tv nothing

we're going to spend the next 4-8 years trapped in a dril tweet

Are you one of the chapo trap guys

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Can we all agree that the Democrats are doing worse and worse because they don't offer coherent solutions to the very real problems millions of Americans face? Literally nothing else matters if we don't agree on that our something similar.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

imagine being so salty you see people admitting they are wrong and coming 2 u for guidance and the only guidance u can provide is that they were wrong

that is pretty hosed up ngl

whats the deal :chloe:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

lets just hold the 2016 dem primary again and select bernie sanders just to shut everyone up

Correct.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Al! posted:

Imagine that that you are so salty that you tell the masses how you feel we should move forward, and in doing so you point out where past failures occured so that they may be, hopefully, avoided in the future.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Zikan posted:

keith ellison update: civil war looks more like a palace coup

quote:

"Having worked on elections and social movements with Keith Ellison for more than two decades, I can say I have never seen him campaign only for himself," Rybak said in his statement. "More a community organization than a politician, Keith has used every campaign to protect every voter's rights, expand our party's base, include those left behind and elevate new leaders. That is exactly what the Democratic Party needs right now."

ludicrous stuff. it'll never work

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Let him do his fundraising strategy, let him coordinate GOTV, let him run the Primary, don't let him chose the candidates.

Bad dems had their chance, they must be replaced with progressive leadership.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

MrCussMustard posted:

Imagine that that you are so salty that you tell the masses how you feel we should move forward, and in doing so you point out where past failures occured so that they may be, hopefully, avoided in the future.

Imagine theres no heaven.... Its easy if u try

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

NumberLast posted:

Can we all agree that the Democrats are doing worse and worse because they don't offer coherent solutions to the very real problems millions of Americans face? Literally nothing else matters if we don't agree on that our something similar.

This is one of MANY reasons they are doing worse and worse

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

it wouldn't surprise me if bernie has an election re-do ticket in the trunk where he keeps poo poo like notes from hillary thanking him for supporting healthcare reform, he should go rummage around in there for a bit. see what comes up.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

This is one of MANY reasons they are doing worse and worse

Well, gently caress

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Al! posted:

Imagine theres no heaven.... Its easy if u try

I don't need to imagine. Thanks for not answering aggro with aggro.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
lol at the democrats thinking that Minority Group would save their hide just because

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/798285238644469761

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

Bad dems had their chance, they must be replaced with progressive leadership.

I don't feel we need a purity test for who is a "true" progressive for all potential DNC positions.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

it wouldn't surprise me if bernie has an election re-do ticket in the trunk where he keeps poo poo like notes from hillary thanking him for supporting healthcare reform, he should go rummage around in there for a bit. see what comes up.

its actually hidden in a chocolate bar but hillary bought them up and is currently having her remaining staff unwrap them all so she can be the only one who gets one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

If any of us could go back in time the obvious best thing to do to change the present would be to take away Donald Trump's 1950-2000 Grays Sports Almanac

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

I don't feel we need a purity test for who is a "true" progressive for all potential DNC positions.

It's not about purity it's about having a comprehensive and consistent platform that you stick to. :v:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

It'd be empty symbolism at best. The far more important issue is what to do now going forward.

As it turns out, symbolism is pretty important nowadays. For an example, see the campaign of one Donald Trump.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I certainly cannot be the first person who made that ref.... What up my bernies what you got

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

its actually hidden in a chocolate bar but hillary bought them up and is currently having her remaining staff unwrap them all so she can be the only one who gets one

oh ya

i really like getting those dove wrappers, they're cute fortune cookies :3:

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Al! posted:

:laffo:

In unrelated news: President Elect Trump Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton digs too greedily, and too deep, releases Balrog from ancient slumber.

E: because oh poo poo duh i'm among friends here

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Nov 14, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

Nice.

NumberLast posted:

It's not about purity it's about having a comprehensive and consistent platform that you stick to. :v:

Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's either incredibly sad or amazingly uplifting that the left is going to regain control of the democratic party with only very minor resistance. If you went back in time and told yourself that progressives would take control of the DNC with the support of chuck schumer would you believe yourself.

• Locked thread