Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Did anyone pick up Skyrim SE for PS4? Was wondering how it looked/played. I never got around to playing it all the way through when it launched.

Don't have it but the main bullet points are nicer textures, faster load times, still 30 fps lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know there's supposed to be big amazing set pieces - do they come later? Or in the other games? Should I just watch a YouTube of the first game and skip to the second?

They do come later, in the other games. If you're not feeling it absolutely move on to Uncharted 2, it's night-and-day better.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I enjoyed Uncharted 1 alright but 2 was so much more fun and did so much better that it might as well have been a different series. I have a friend who prefers 1 and I judge him very harshly for it to this day.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I don't play my PS4 much anymore, but I had switched to two fans on the rear for exhaust and three on the side for intake. Using a digital thermometer, I reduced the exhaust air temp by 7-8C. I've undone that all now, last game I played was DQBuilder like 2/3 weeks ago.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I never had a PS3 so I never played any of the Uncharted games. Now I have a PS4 so I picked up the Uncharted collection and started the first one.

It seems to be just a constant repeating cycle of "cutscene -> mediocre jumping puzzle -> mediocre cover combat sequence -> cutscene"

I know there's supposed to be big amazing set pieces - do they come later? Or in the other games? Should I just watch a YouTube of the first game and skip to the second?

it's worth noting that Uncharted (especially 1) isn't really supposed to be played like a cover shooter. you're supposed to be running around, shooting from the hip and finishing guys off with your fist, ducking into cover when needed to stay alive. the game rewards you for playing this way, and you'll probably enjoy it more.

but if you don't, the later games in the series are better

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Personally I preferred the plot beats in UC1, but the closest it comes to anything like UC2's train sequence would be the jetski parts, which.....no.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is your regular reminder that the enemies in Uncharted are not "bullet sponges". If you shoot an unarmored man in the head with a pistol he dies instantly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

it's worth noting that Uncharted (especially 1) isn't really supposed to be played like a cover shooter. you're supposed to be running around, shooting from the hip and finishing guys off with your fist, ducking into cover when needed to stay alive. the game rewards you for playing this way, and you'll probably enjoy it more.

but if you don't, the later games in the series are better

I only ever found this viable on easy mode. Fact is, Nate just dies way too quickly on Normal and higher difficulties for this to be viable. Uncharted 3, for all of the jank and unfinished plot threads it is the game in the trilogy where going melee feels viable at times and obviously 4 is such an all around improvement that you can largely stealth sections without firing a shot.

Although there are the enemies later on in Uncharted 1 where running and gunning is the best way to deal with them but I seem to recall people complaining back in 2007 about them as a gimmick they didn't like.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is your regular reminder that the enemies in Uncharted are not "bullet sponges". If you shoot an unarmored man in the head with a pistol he dies instantly.

I've said it before to you in this thread and I'll say it again, that doesn't mean poo poo when aiming in Uncharted 1 is so much inferior to how aiming feels in the sequels. And if you don't shoot them in the head, they still take too many body shots for my liking. They should take two to three body shots, not anywhere between four and six.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 14, 2016

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I never cared much for what little I played of Uncharted back in the day, but I bought the trilogy collection in some vain attempt to induce Stockholm Syndrome ahead of UC4's release. It... worked?

The trick is to go for the absolutely lowest difficulty setting and just power through the atrociously bad combat encounters.

That said, there's no saving Uncharted 1. UC4 is the only entry in the series I'd unreservedly call a good game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've said it before to you in this thread and I'll say it again, that doesn't mean poo poo when aiming in Uncharted 1 is so much inferior to how aiming feels in the sequels. And if you don't shoot them in the head, they still take too many body shots for my liking. They should take two to three body shots, not anywhere between four and six.

I had no problem with the combat encounters in Uncharted. If you are close enough then yes, two or three body shots will take down an enemy. If you feel like your bullets are not doing enough damage it sounds like you are plinking them from too far away, which also addresses the other complaint about aiming.

This is a game where you are supposed to be dumping your guns into people at close range and to run and gun. The things you complain about are how the system is designed to encourage this. You are not encouraged to conserve ammo, but to keep mobile so you can keep collecting more of it.

The jetski stuff, I will agree on because that's pretty dire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If so many people go through the whole game without discovering how it was intended to be played, the game is bad at communication and training.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's literally never occurred to me that Bullets would lose damage over video game engagement ranges, and I'm always surprised when it turns out that's a feature.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Uncharted 1 tutorializes melee kills as a way to get more ammo and relies heavily on grenades to flush you out of cover. The aiming on non-scoped weapons can be bad. These should be clear signals of what to do. At what point does repeatedly dying and feeling bad when you try to play it like CoD and it feeling better when you play it like Uncharted stop being the game's fault and start being the player's

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Sometimes I need games to make stuff like that very explicit because I have MGS syndrome where if a game gives me a stealth option but doesn't actually care about it I'll make the game worse by continually trying to perfect stealth it and starting over if I can't (hello dishonored).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Looks like Red Faction 1 and 2 are the next PS2 games on PS4.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uncharted 1 tutorializes melee kills as a way to get more ammo and relies heavily on grenades to flush you out of cover. The aiming on non-scoped weapons can be bad. These should be clear signals of what to do. At what point does repeatedly dying and feeling bad when you try to play it like CoD and it feeling better when you play it like Uncharted stop being the game's fault and start being the player's

Melee in Uncharted 1 is loving terrible and trying to to do it while a dozen people are shooting at me never worked out once.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Guys come on we're obviously all wrong and that's why they never changed it or fixed it in any of the future versions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I totally admit the possibility that I got Stockholmed by UC1 because I had all the exact same complaints when I first played it. Then I adapted and had a lot of fun with it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

LordMune posted:

UC4 is the only entry in the series I'd unreservedly call a good game.

Interesting. There are still a sizable group of people that rank UC2 over UC4. I personally think 2-4 are good-to-great games (reason enough to own a PS4). UC1 wasn't bad to me... and going back and playing it, its flaws stuck out more than when it first came out.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

FireMrshlBill posted:

Interesting. There are still a sizable group of people that rank UC2 over UC4. I personally think 2-4 are good-to-great games (reason enough to own a PS4). UC1 wasn't bad to me... and going back and playing it, its flaws stuck out more than when it first came out.

When things get supernatural in uncharted 1 it goes bad, I prefer the thin writing in uncharted 1 to the sloppy mess that is uncharted 4 though.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I would pay 75 euros for Guerrilla.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Liver Disaster posted:

sloppy mess that is uncharted 4 though.

What

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Uncharted 2 is probably the best of the bunch, having played them all. I appreciated the Indiana Jones vibes I got from 1's story, which puts it at the top for me, but as a game 2 is by far the best in the series. 3 was good outside a couple of encounters I remember not enjoying (it may have also been the control lag too, I'd have to replay it) and 4 was terrific but it had way too many slow parts that'll make playing it again a chore. 2 had the best balance of the bunch - it understood that it needed to be a game first and foremost so it kept things moving along and used slow parts sparsely but effectively.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The best parts of Uncharted 4 are the slow parts, though. They're not that much to get through even on a second playthrough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trash Trick posted:

It's funny how people form different impressions, I find attrition far more chaotic and enjoy it more since people are less incentivized to hide and peek (outside their titans) and also because you get to see every map (i think?). Every single match of Attrition ends with everyone in their titans duking it out non-stop while the AI mini titan things are dropping in blasting all over the place, it's nuts!!

Bounty Hunt is still fun but yeah, attrition wins out by far w/ my group of 4-5 buddies.

I'm halfway through my first presteige, I've been playing the hell out of titanfall.

Attrition is growing on me but I've had the exact opposite experience. Too many people hiding out by grunts to peek out/snipers. Snipers do miserable in Bounty hunt which I appreciate. Plus it just feels like there is way too little ai in attrition. I'd like it a lot more if they were tripled. Since the focus is just on money and not getting kills I think BH gets a lot more wild (bnothing to lose when you are broke!).

After playing some good rounds on attrition I think it's a fun enough mode but it feels too much like lower stakes bounty hunt to me. Nothing beats the thrill of trying to get across the map with like $1000 deposit on you.

All the other modes are super bleh.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 15, 2016

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Did anyone pick up Skyrim SE for PS4? Was wondering how it looked/played. I never got around to playing it all the way through when it launched.
I downloaded it on Friday since I needed something to tide me over before Watch Dogs 2 and Skyrim is pretty much the ideal game to just dick around in. I'm running it on the pro which is supposed to perform worse than it would on the regular PS4, but from what I've seen there haven't really been any frame drops apart from during the intro sequence. It runs well and looks very nice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arist posted:

The best parts of Uncharted 4 are the slow parts, though. They're not that much to get through even on a second playthrough.

Yeah, seriously. I don't know how anyone could hate the slow parts. They made the story much more entertaining than the previous games and were very fun to play. Imo UC4 had a drat near zen like balance while the other 3 were too packed with waves of enemi

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, seriously. I don't know how anyone could hate the slow parts. They made the story much more entertaining than the previous games and were very fun to play. Imo UC4 had a drat near zen like balance while the other 3 were too packed with waves of enemi

I kinda wish they didn't count difficulty on the noncombat chapters

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
UC2 and 4 are the stand-outs to me. I probably enjoyed 2 more because of the setpieces and the story/action ratio was perfect but 4 lets you stealth through stuff and gives you more play options to get through certain parts. It's also just a great bookend to the whole series.

Red Faction 1 is the first FPS I ever played where I thought the game had what I came to recognize as "good gun feel." Also it had a silly but neat story and I was always a little sad that its cliffhanger never really got resolved. Probably hasn't aged well though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Red Faction (2?) really impressed me back in the day. Really nice looking game for the time and the wall destroying mechanic was cool. I don't think I'd touch it with a 10 foot pole in tyool 2016. I was playing COD4 at my buddies house the other day and even that felt ancient now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rastor posted:

Yeah it's supposed to be a certification requirement that games not run worse on the Pro, Sony will crack down on violations.

Hahahahaha

Quoting this because lmao

Fallout 4 on the PS4 dashed any hopes I ever had of Sony "certifying" game performance

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uncharted 2 and 4 are very good; uncharted 1 and 3 aren't bad but 1 has aged a lot and 3 is like a worse version of 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just wanted to chime in to say I'm playing Witcher 3 on PS4 here it is staggering how good this game looks on PS4. For CD Projekts first Playstation game (correct me if I'm wrong) it's an amazing technical achievement that puts so many developers to shame. Those character models :aaa:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is the Bioshock Remasters worth picking up at all ? I heard it was a buggy mess.

My copy of TF2 arrives tomorrow, so add me if you need someone to play with. :BostonZombie

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fit em all up in there posted:

Is the Bioshock Remasters worth picking up at all ? I heard it was a buggy mess.

My copy of TF2 arrives tomorrow, so add me if you need someone to play with. :BostonZombie

they made the original look less atmospheric in the graphical overhaul

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

HGH posted:

I'm not sure if it's in this game but check the options menu? There might be a switch between classic tank controls and more modernized ones?

There is, but when the camera angle changes your control scheme does. Too often I've been in a cramped hall with three corners and zombies, only to have the camera change, invert my controls making me 180 on a dime and send me full tilt into a gaping maw.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's best to use the new controls. The d pad will remain the old tank controls and you can choose how you want to control it on the fly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way at all to manage my my streaming services? Some of the ones I actually use have been bumped off the main page and I literally have to go into the loving psn store to open them. Meanwhile many I haven't even considered downloading at any point are front and center.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fit em all up in there posted:

Not buggy at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Oh gently caress, my PS4 has started the random beeping and keeps doing it even after rebuilding the database.

• Locked thread