Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

biracial bear for uncut posted:

More people need to be shown/made to listen to her terrible singing voice the next time she tries to run for office.

No, they need to be forced to listen to her rap.

That's like, 10x worse.

It's like a reverse Shia LeBeouf Shia LeBeouf is an amazing rapper...somehow. I still haven't fully processed how he is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

That's like, 10x worse.

Are there any videos of this, or is the "Indigo Girls fronting Red Hot Chili Peppers" from when John Oliver talks about it (first search result I get) basically the most accurate description?

Or are we talking about the same thing, because holy crap is it terrible.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Are there any videos of this, or is the "Indigo Girls fronting Red Hot Chili Peppers" from when John Oliver talks about it (first search result I get) basically the most accurate description?

Or are we talking about the same thing, because holy crap is it terrible.

Yeah, they had her rapping on John Oliver and it was horrific, and that's not even the worst one.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

xthetenth posted:

You should probably do the "ask for explanation until they say something that even they can't deny is racist." If they're going to base their identity on poo poo like that, they deserve to get their self-image shattered.

Also holy gently caress Bannon's going to be chief of staff. What the gently caress. Gonna have to throw that one on top of a bridge I'm burning.

Bannon won't be chief of staff, he's going to be "chief strategist and senior advisor." Preibus is going to be chief of staff. I don't know if that's a fluffy do-nothing position or the secret power behind the throne. Depends on what Trump wants to do. Regardless, it's a bad sign.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 14, 2016

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dr Christmas posted:

Bannon won't be chief of staff, he's going to be "chief strategist and senior advisor." Preibus is going to be chief of staff. I don't know if that's a fluffy do-nothing position or the secret power behind the throne. Depends on what Trump wants to do. Regardless, it's a bad sign.

Like you said, it largely depends on how the president at the time chooses to deal with that person. Just to add some context, Obama has had a series of them that you've heard of but probably don't think of as tremendously influential (Valerie Jarrett, David Axelrod, and David Plouffe, among others); the one that'll really make the hair on the back of your neck stand up is Karl Rove under W.

PS I appreciate this thread even though I'll certainly lurk it more than I'll post in it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, sorry, I had the wrong position title. My bad.

Here is Jill Stein with her band. (Un)Fortunately no rap in this video from what I saw? Still drat embarrassing.

https://youtu.be/w40MqkqXD7I

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kali Holloway on the election:

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/stop-asking-me-empathize-white-working-class

Also this website is pretty awesome (a list of journalists who are also PoC):

http://www.writersofcolor.org/writers/

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

That's like, 10x worse.

It's like a reverse Shia LeBeouf Shia LeBeouf is an amazing rapper...somehow. I still haven't fully processed how he is so good

He's so loving good! You know what, if that's a side effect of this topsy-turvy world I'll take it.

Do white people even know about Sway?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

He's so loving good! You know what, if that's a side effect of this topsy-turvy world I'll take it.

We do but only as the guy from MTV with the hat.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

We do but only as the guy from MTV with the hat.

Well now he's a guy from RADIO with a hat!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I thought Shia's flow was garbage on that Sway clip but respect for any kind of freestyling I guess

Also, I read a nice New Yorker thing from a black lady poet about the crazy weird depictions of black women in art. I thought it was p neat

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/broken-defaced-unseen-the-hidden-black-female-figures-of-western-art?mbid=social_facebook

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

visceril posted:

It was racist discrimination and cowardice that won the election for a TV fascist

After the election I kinda cut off anything political, since I just couldn't deal with it. I've been angrier and more resentful than usual too. I've slowly been opening up a little and let small trickle of politicsrelated news in, bu for people who still can't/don't want to hear about political poo poo, I'll be spoiling the following questions and comments.I mean, I'm a shitposter so not missing much either way :v:

This is what I am leaning towards as well. one part has been the massive voter disenfranchisement of PoC votes that shifted the election o Clownface Mcfucksticks favor in crucial battlegrounds, the other part of it is women, 3rd party voters and millennials not coming out in strong enough numbers for Clinton.

I think democrats need to make a bigger deal of the blatant intimidation and disenfranchisement that the GOP have admitted to running and that stole them the election, but it also can't come from Hillary herself. After she made political hay about Mcfuckstick not accepting the election results it will look bad if she does the same (even if her reasons are legitimate). But there are still high ranking democrats that should be going on the media (cause lord knows those loving dickheads won't do any real journalism on their own) and start pushing this narrative. Although even if it gets picked up, I'm not sure what good it would do. Whites don't seem to give a gently caress about PoC not getting to vote.

What I would like to know is, compared to 2012, how many PoC and women voted, and how many voted for Clinton? Did a large portion of white women really go for Mcfuckstick?

I am not an american, and really, despite my anger and sadness, I know it's but a drop in the ocean compared to what you guys are feeling. I just don't know how you can have PoC and LGBT friends and just completly shrug when their very personhood is under attack.

Stolen from the LGBT thread

https://twitter.com/maryellenmurr/status/796817447034716160

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/798274520779923456

Man. Like it's probably the objectively wrong thing to do.

But I kinda like how at this point Obama is just like "gently caress all y'all, you voted for this motherfucker. it's on you guys now".

On the other hand

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/798272923446505473

Bad metaphor, as it's pretty obvious what the first ocean liner anyone ever thinks of...

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 14, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's probably a good idea to set the wheels in motion for actually pinning the bullshit Trump does on Trump, considering how disingenuous the Republican propaganda machine is.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

Man. Like it's probably the objectively wrong thing to do.

I dunno, seems like he's making an effort to get the Orange One up to speed, not much else he can do without being a sucker and end up getting more of the Trump stink on him

Dexo posted:

Bad metaphor, as it's pretty obvious what the first ocean liner anyone ever thinks of...

the Lusitania would have been unsinkable except for those German bastards :argh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

If another White Star loving sinks this poo poo I swear to god.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

xthetenth posted:

It's probably a good idea to set the wheels in motion for actually pinning the bullshit Trump does on Trump, considering how disingenuous the Republican propaganda machine is.

The good thing about this is that if Mcfuckstick and his circus fucks it up there's no one to blame it on anymore. They have all 3 branches, any fuckups will be squarely their fault now, cant blame the democrats for it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/798272923446505473

Yeah, the Olympic, the ship that was switched with the Titanic and purposefully sunk for the insurance money.

I'm not sure where you're going with that...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Trump seems like the kind of person who'd order an ocean liner without proper bulkheads to build a ballroom.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Trump seems like the kind of person who would segregate the bunkrooms on the liner and then only install lifeboats for the white rooms.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Last night I had a dream about Attorney General Rudy Giuliani and woke up in handcuffs

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I know him as the dude who hosted the Casual/Saafir battle with King Tech, back in the day when the Wake Up Show was really good, if that counts. I don't remember if DJ Revolution was around back then, though.

gently caress, I'm old...:eng99:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

McCloud posted:

The good thing about this is that if Mcfuckstick and his circus fucks it up there's no one to blame it on anymore. They have all 3 branches, any fuckups will be squarely their fault now, cant blame the democrats for it

Oh ye of little faith, all gently caress ups, economic or otherwise, will be blamed on actions taken by Obama and democrats during his presidency having long-lasting detrimental effects or some other such bullshit.

All of the republicans in office will just be bravely trying to clean up the liberal mess and Make America Great Again (TM), it happens every time the pres shifts R.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

double negative posted:

Last night I had a dream about Attorney General Rudy Giuliani and woke up in handcuffs

The Department of Pure Thought acts quickly.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

double negative posted:

Looks like he might be Secretary of State :smithicide:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pastrymancy posted:

Looks like he might be Secretary of State :smithicide:

I mean the good news is that he won't implement national stop and frisk there, so yay black people.

The bad news is that he'll implement national shoot and bomb in Iran, so boo Iranian people. :smithicide:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean the good news is that he won't implement national stop and frisk there, so yay black people.

The bad news is that he'll implement national shoot and bomb in Iran, so boo Iranian people. :smithicide:

Say goodbye to legal :420: on the state level too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Forceholy posted:

Say goodbye to legal :420: on the state level too.

That would be some next level double-loving-standards right there: the same party that's all for states' rights and limiting the federal government's power when it comes time for trying to force teaching of creationism in public schools in Kansas or banning abortions in Texas, going whole hog on trampling all the gently caress over the rights of states to determine what is and isn't a legal drug in their state.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

HotCanadianChick posted:

That would be some next level double-loving-standards right there: the same party that's all for states' rights and limiting the federal government's power when it comes time for trying to force teaching of creationism in public schools in Kansas or banning abortions in Texas, going whole hog on trampling all the gently caress over the rights of states to determine what is and isn't a legal drug in their state.

You sweet summer child, believing that state's rights are a meaningful position non-stupid people believe in and not a historical deflection for why we should ignore policies that poo poo on minorities.

They tell you today that it was a War of Northern Aggression against states' rights and leave out the "...to enforce legal ownership of human beings by race" at the end.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

You sweet summer child, believing that state's rights are a meaningful position non-stupid people believe in and not a historical deflection for why we should ignore policies that poo poo on minorities.

They tell you today that it was a War of Northern Aggression against states' rights and leave out the "...to enforce legal ownership of human beings by race" at the end.

Oh, I already know this. But I'm talking about recent history things, such as where the right has gotten all salty about those 'activist federal judges' striking down stuff like Texas' recent attempt to pretty much shut down all abortion clinics in Texas, or their striking down of anti-gay-marriage statutes in a bunch of states. But they're all for the Feds curtailing anything the individual states do to make things easier on minorities or decriminalize poo poo like marijuana possession.

You can bet none of them will say so much as a word about 'activist judges' once they've got the Supreme Court stacked with extremely conservative justices.

Whites are the masters of the double standard.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, the Olympic, the ship that was switched with the Titanic and purposefully sunk for the insurance money.

I'm not sure where you're going with that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia_disaster

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
That's funny, I was thinking the Titanic.

Ya know, like the thread title.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Put the words "speed" and "ocean liner" close enough together and I can't help but think of Speed 2: Cruise Control.

e: vvvv You don't need to have seen a movie to remember it, especially when that movie is Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 15, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Put the words "speed" and "ocean liner" close enough together and I can't help but think of Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Wait, people actually watched that movie?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dexo posted:

It's a great metaphor, and if anybody using English in 2016 knows exactly what the subtext of what they're saying is it's Obama. He meant to invoke the Titanic.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No, but a lot of them saw the trailer.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I did, twice.

It was like if the Costa Concordia disaster was somehow worse.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

negromancer posted:

I did, twice.

It was like if the Costa Concordia disaster was somehow worse.

How fast did the ship have to be going?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How fast did the ship have to be going?

Just LOL at the Wikipedia entry for it.

quote:

De Bont came up with the idea for the film after he had a recurring nightmare about a cruise ship crashing into an island.

Movie ending spoiled right off the bat.

quote:

The film's soundtrack featured mostly reggae music. Mark Mancina returned to compose the film score, which was released as an album 13 years after the film's release.

:drat:

I don't know what's funnier, that backstory for how they came up with the idea for the movie or that it took 13 years for the movie soundtrack to be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I had Speed 2 on laserdisc.

• Locked thread